The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Kaggath Battlegrounds Heats - Empire of Plagues vs Imperial Droid Division

Beniboybling

Force pikes won't really do much, at full power it could only cut through durasteel(this even to what degree of durasteel even, how thick could it really cut? And would it take multiple hits?). Which...not saying durasteel is bad, cause it isn't, but it's not one of the most hardest substances in the galaxy nor is it rare.

Phrik can deflect lightsaber blows too...just food for thought on how durable Phrik is folks. Considering the fact, lightsabers are able to cut through some pretty big things such as..

Dat armor... :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For something on the Vong Ships... It seems the Dovin Basal's as well as the other weapons were all relative for the size of the ship.

THe Dovin Basals used for propulsion I doubt did much in the way of defense and the offensive Dovin Bosols on the Miid Ro'ik appear to me to act 3 fold.

1: Ion cannon draining enemy shields

2: Point defense gun/ defelctor shields (allowing for defense against shots

3: Interdiction drive.

And nothing else really.

While Yaret-Kor COULD be used as star fighter defense, i feel these were largely done on SMALLER ships with SMALLER Yaret-Kor.... HOWEVER with sufficient Volley's they could still preform that role. Their primary Role seems to be that of the "Turbo laser" of the Miid Ro'ik being used as Large ship vs Large ship weapons.

Overall I feel this ship would be a match for an Imperial II class, while sporting slightly better missile and fighter defenses, but more vulnerable from a flanking maneuver as it could only deploy the Dovin Basils in a couple locals do to limited number of them. Thus with out shields they were overly vulnerable to flanking maneuvers as we saw in the Vong war with several battles when they got out flanked.

A-vek is to the Endurance as the above Mii Ro'ik is to the Imp II

Legacy Of Torment is to the Executor as the aboves are to their respective ships......

That is my assessment on Vong tech.... it has strengths, but it also has weaknesses. I believe the Legacy of Torment though is going to be the end all of this.... The fleet sizes I almost feel with its Dovin Basal's and Yaret-Kor as well as its massive size I feel it could likely SOLO the entire enemy fleet, just as easily as the Executor would.

Dat armor... :eek: :eek: :eek:

It seems to work great against all energy based attacks, BUT I am not entirely sure it would work against hard blades. Difference in damage type if you get my meaning, though I am sure it is HARD I wouldnt call it invincible part of me always struggles against anything being "invincible"

Legacy Of Torment is to the Executor as the aboves are to their respective ships......

That is my assessment on Vong tech.... it has strengths, but it also has weaknesses. I believe the Legacy of Torment though is going to be the end all of this.... The fleet sizes I almost feel with its Dovin Basal's and Yaret-Kor as well as its massive size I feel it could likely SOLO the entire enemy fleet, just as easily as the Executor would.

I feel as if I could overcome the rest of the fleet, but this monster...I am unsure... :( I doubt the point defense systems and tractor beams will be enough. :( It would depend on how many of my fighter compliment survived I guess...

I feel as if I could overcome the rest of the fleet, but this monster...I am unsure... :( I doubt the point defense systems and tractor beams will be enough. :( It would depend on how many of my fighter compliment survived I guess...

I feel like if your fighter compliment isnt carful it gets nom nomed by the Dovin Basils on that thing.... Flank it with fighters as best you can.... but even then.... its going to eat you for breakfast.... that thing would eat ANYONE's Fleet for breakfast. That thing is equivlant to an Executor or a Viscount.

Edited by tunewalker

I feel like if your fighter compliment isnt carful it gets nom nomed by the Dovin Basils on that thing.... Flank it with fighters as best you can.... but even then.... its going to eat you for breakfast.... that thing would eat ANYONE's Fleet for breakfast. That thing is equivlant to an Executor or a Viscount.

I know! Let me phone in a friend! *dials Beni* Yeah, Yeah, I know its late. Yes, I know I still owe you for last time. Yeah, I will remember. Now, just send it! Activate the ion cannons as well! *hangs up phone*

Wait for it... *The Malevolence jumps into the system, charging up is Ion Cannons* I knew the Arbiter's ship would be close by! :D

I know! Let me phone in a friend! *dials Beni* Yeah, Yeah, I know its late. Yes, I know I still owe you for last time. Yeah, I will remember. Now, just send it! Activate the ion cannons as well! *hangs up phone*

Wait for it... *The Malevolence jumps into the system, charging up is Ion Cannons* I knew the Arbiter's ship would be close by! :D

lol.... *Watches as the Legacy of Torment rips the Malevolence to shreds in a matter of seconds*......

You were saying....

Edit: recommendation RUN... all your ships class 2 Hyperdrive all his Class 3.... get out... get out fast

Edited by tunewalker

Probably not. Sustained fire may do it, but once the Dark Troopers get in close, the Killiks don't have much going for them.

I'm using this image as reference.

The Phase I Darktroopers only have a skeletal phrik frame. Which means that all of the darkly shaded areas in that picture are weak points. Notice that all of those weak points are joints or vital system junctures. Although phrik may prevent them from being stabbed in the chest, it provides no defense for getting their leg ripped off or beheaded. In fact, these dark areas are only power capable, easily cut through with a standard voibrosword.

Killik warriors, on the other hand, have a whole exoskeleton of chitin armor, which is resistant to almost all forms of energy damage. On the offensive side, Killik warriors had super-human strength and natural weapons such as acid spit. With vibroblades in hand, they could make short work of the Phase I by aiming for their joints and power cables: a good strategy against any opponent.

Additionally, let's not forget the numbers advantage AiR has. It has thousands more killiks than the IDD has Darktroopers, and the rakghoul plague quickly spreading throughout the undercity on a planet of six billion people will provide more than enough troops to simply overwhelm the Darktroopers.

A swarm of rakghoul could easily rip apart the Phase I Darktroopers. Phase II have a giant assault cannon. But it only has 400 shells before it has to reload (a lengthy process for an assault cannon). During that time, the rakghouls will swarm it and destroy it.

Edited by Warren-Stride

It seems to work great against all energy based attacks, BUT I am not entirely sure it would work against hard blades. Difference in damage type if you get my meaning, though I am sure it is HARD I wouldnt call it invincible part of me always struggles against anything being "invincible"

Never called it invincible, just that it's extremely durable, it's not called one of the hardest substances in the galaxy for no reason, also I don't see why it wouldn't work against hard blades too.

For something on the Vong Ships... It seems the Dovin Basal's as well as the other weapons were all relative for the size of the ship.

THe Dovin Basals used for propulsion I doubt did much in the way of defense and the offensive Dovin Bosols on the Miid Ro'ik appear to me to act 3 fold.

1: Ion cannon draining enemy shields

2: Point defense gun/ defelctor shields (allowing for defense against shots

3: Interdiction drive.

And nothing else really.

The Dovin Basals on larger ships were very effective at shielding against incoming fire, fighters and turbolasers alike.

The dovin basals on the larger vessels devoted less energy to maneuvering, and more to shielding, resulting in a stronger defense.

Overall I feel this ship would be a match for an Imperial II class, while sporting slightly better missile and fighter defenses, but more vulnerable from a flanking maneuver as it could only deploy the Dovin Basils in a couple locals do to limited number of them. Thus with out shields they were overly vulnerable to flanking maneuvers as we saw in the Vong war with several battles when they got out flanked.

Is there evidence for this? I never read the Vong war books, but from what I can tell this is not mentioned on the Wookiee, and the number of dovan basals for each ship is left undermined. However, considering that dovan basals are each their own animal, it does not make sense that they could only activate a few at a time. Additionally, there was not a limited number of dovan basals, the Vong grew them quite extensively.

What is everyone's thoughts on the tactical minds behind the fleet battle? Perhaps list some achievements?

This is what I brought up earlier:

Consider this. In the Battle of the Murgo Choke, the killik nests (under Lomi Plo) battled the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances at the command of Nek Bwua'tu. Bwua'tu failed and his ship was captured by killiks. Killiks are no joke in space, and it seems they are very good at boarding parties. Especially on Star Destroyer-type ships.

As far as Trench goes, I've never been super impressed by his feats. Besides, no matter how good of a commander Trench is, he doesn't have the machinery to take down the AiR navy.

This is what I brought up earlier:

Consider this. In the Battle of the Murgo Choke, the killik nests (under Lomi Plo) battled the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances at the command of Nek Bwua'tu. Bwua'tu failed and his ship was captured by killiks. Killiks are no joke in space, and it seems they are very good at boarding parties. Especially on Star Destroyer-type ships.

As far as Trench goes, I've never been super impressed by his feats. Besides, no matter how good of a commander Trench is, he doesn't have the machinery to take down the AiR navy.

One of the main reason's that the battle went the way it did was because the Killiks had been smuggled on board Bwua'tu's ship several weeks before the battle. They don't have time to prepare like that this time.

The Dovin Basals on larger ships were very effective at shielding against incoming fire, fighters and turbolasers alike.

Is there evidence for this? I never read the Vong war books, but from what I can tell this is not mentioned on the Wookiee, and the number of dovan basals for each ship is left undermined. However, considering that dovan basals are each their own animal, it does not make sense that they could only activate a few at a time. Additionally, there was not a limited number of dovan basals, the Vong grew them quite extensively.

What you quoted and responded to at the start litterally said the exact same thing as you just did.

"shielding incoming fire, fighter and turbo lasers alike"

(2 acting as deflector shields and point defense guns of the vong ships helping to defend it from attack"

same thing.

Also yes of course there is evidence, i just typed it. The evidence is how it faired in combat AGAINST the Imp II's and how we find one of the most effective strategies against them was pincering them. Wedge and Garm when pincering were able to destroy 1000 Vong "Capital ships" using only around 200 of their own and with minimal casualties.

Fuither more even wookie seems to classify them the same way I do. When it begins to liken each Vong ship to another ship that the Vong faced at the time.

Essentially from what I can tell and what it seems to be the more i look at it is both sides achieved a similar level of power but in different ways.

I'm using this image as reference.

The Phase I Darktroopers only have a skeletal phrik frame. Which means that all of the darkly shaded areas in that picture are weak points. Notice that all of those weak points are joints or vital system junctures. Although phrik may prevent them from being stabbed in the chest, it provides no defense for getting their leg ripped off or beheaded. In fact, these dark areas are only power capable, easily cut through with a standard voibrosword.

Killik warriors, on the other hand, have a whole exoskeleton of chitin armor, which is resistant to almost all forms of energy damage. On the offensive side, Killik warriors had super-human strength and natural weapons such as acid spit. With vibroblades in hand, they could make short work of the Phase I by aiming for their joints and power cables: a good strategy against any opponent.

Additionally, let's not forget the numbers advantage AiR has. It has thousands more killiks than the IDD has Darktroopers, and the rakghoul plague quickly spreading throughout the undercity on a planet of six billion people will provide more than enough troops to simply overwhelm the Darktroopers.

A swarm of rakghoul could easily rip apart the Phase I Darktroopers. Phase II have a giant assault cannon. But it only has 400 shells before it has to reload (a lengthy process for an assault cannon). During that time, the rakghouls will swarm it and destroy it.

As I had already pointed out the weak points and how they could be targeted for easier defeat of the PI's, I do wonder why you bring it back up after I already stated that. Though, as I also stated, if all that is taken out is their cables, then it is a simple matter for them to be put right back in action, and let me tell you, cables are MUCH cheaper than phrik! :p PI are the cannon fodder, its the PII's and PIII's that are clearing the killiks and rakghouls from range that will hold the ground long enough to retrieve the frames. Though, I personally do not believe that the chitin armor was really anything special at all really... Perhaps equivalent to stormtrooper armor from the movies is how I pictured it... They seemed to die often enough to blasters... I seriously doubt they would take well to a stab through the abdomen, or the hail of bolts that the more destructive models would unleash.

Edited by Silenceo

What you quoted and responded to at the start litterally said the exact same thing as you just did.

I was referring to thew part where you said "THe Dovin Basals used for propulsion I doubt did much in the way of defense."

Also yes of course there is evidence, i just typed it.

No offense Tune, but you're not a credible source. I was looking for a specific example, during a specific battle for instance, when that strategy worked. Also, what battle are you referring to with Wedge and Garm?

Let's not forget that the Alliance started winning after they had learned abou the Vong ships. When the Vong first arrived in the galaxy they wrecked shop. None of the IDD have ever face Vong ships before, so they will attempt to combat them just as they do normal ships. They will not have the time the Alliance had to adapt to the strange weapons of the Vong. Instead, they will be wiped out like the first Alliance fleets to attempt fighting the Vong.

Just wanted to clarify the question of whether or not the Spider Droids could climb on the buildings, but I simply would like to remind everyone that it they were all terrain vehicles, and have been stated to climb up sheer cliffs before.

"Despite its weaknesses, the homing spider could walk along the bottom of seabeds, fully submerged in water, as well as scale steep cliffs."

Another snip from the wiki, though if someone has the source books I am sure they will find the same capability, seeing how other versions of the spider droid have all had the same ability. *Though, I am pretty sure the ability to climb sheer surfaces is a huge part of the whole "Spider" part of the name...*

Edited by Silenceo

As I had already pointed out the weak points and how they could be targeted for easier defeat of the PI's, I do wonder why you bring it back up after I already stated that. Though, as I also stated, if all that is taken out is their cables, then it is a simple matter for them to be put right back in action, and let me tell you, cables are MUCH cheaper than phrik! :p
I don't think you'll be getting those droid bodies back. And like I said, they're cable. As in, cut the cable and rip off the head and/or legs and/or arms. If you want to try and repair them, go ahead. But you'll have to send them all the way back to Mechis III. And by the time they get back, the war will be over.

PI are the cannon fodder, its the PII's and PIII's that are clearing the killiks and rakghouls from range that will hold the ground long enough to retrieve the frames. Though, I personally do not believe that the chitin armor was really anything special at all really... Perhaps equivalent to stormtrooper armor from the movies is how I pictured it... They seemed to die often enough to blasters... I seriously doubt they would take well to a stab through the abdomen, or the hail of bolts that the more destructive models would unleash.

Chitin armor is what insect shells are made out of in real life. You know how hard it is to crush a flea? Much harder than it is to crush a spider, which lacks chitin. Chitin on the scale of a humanoid being would be immensely tough to damage. They are basically hard scales of organic fiber. So although a blaster bolt may be able to hit a chitin shell, it's extremely dense, and would not puncture to the point of harming vital organs.

Phase II and III are a bit more of an issue, yes. But the killiks have tricks up their sleeves as well. The Kolosolok are gigantic,over fifty meters long by ten meters tall. They are capable of taking massive amounts of damage due to their size and heavy armoring. They are especially adept at breaking through enemy fortifications. Some killiks, such as the Qeeq and Aebea are much smaller and able to fly, making them difficult targets for the Darktroopers. Others, such as Rekkers, are experts at jumping, able to close the distance between them and the Darktroopers easily, at which point the Phase II and III become useless.

And lest we forget the Nekghouls. Exposure to the Muur's Talisman and training by Muur himself (along with maybe a little Sith Alchemy) will make them much more deadly than ever before. And, strangely, lightsabers don't seem to be that uncommon on Taris.

Edited by Warren-Stride

Just wanted to clarify the question of whether or not the Spider Droids could climb on the buildings, but I simply would like to remind everyone that it they were all terrain vehicles, and have been stated to climb up sheer cliffs before.

"Despite its weaknesses, the homing spider could walk along the bottom of seabeds, fully submerged in water, as well as scale steep cliffs."

Another snip from the wiki, though if someone has the source books I am sure they will find the same capability, seeing how other versions of the spider droid have all had the same ability. *Though, I am pretty sure the ability to climb sheer surfaces is a huge part of the whole "Spider" part of the name...*

But just look at it.

There's no way that thing could scale buildings. It just can't. Those four feet cannot position themselves that way. Scaling steep cliffs means that the legs have footholds. But clinging to the sides of buildings requires more than just four legs.

Take an hippo. It has four legs. It can move along the bottom of seabeds, fully submerged in water as well as scale steep cliffs. Can it hang onto the side of skyscrapers? No. There's no evidence that the OG-9 is any different.

Edited by Warren-Stride

All right, Arbiter update incoming, here are my initial thoughts.

1. Shadow Droids: Controllable yes but how is Karness Muur to know what they are and how they work, basically how will he know he can control them? The technology is beyond him and I doubt he's even in space. And given from what I can gather, being able to communicate with DSiders/Sidious was not really a primary ability, just a side thing.

2. Swivel Capabilities: Just something that came time mind, how well can Yaret-Kor's maneuver to hit small targets, they don't look like they can at all and apparently aren't designed for anti-starfighter defense - having a slow rate of fire.

The point here is that while the Vong vessels are powerful, if fighters manage to get in close they are vulnerable.

3. IMPORTANT NOTE: I am opting for maximum complements across all vessels, in keeping with the overall notion that these vessels "height of power" and for such an important conflict factions will come well prepared.

4. Concerning complaints about the

5. I agree with Warren that the Empire of Plagues won't engage the Droid Division head on, must likely lure them into their territory and engage in hit and run attacks. So when it comes to ground bear that in mind Silenceo.

6. VERDICT: In so far, there is no specific rule that states coups are not allowed, but I think I will disallow them. For one it inhibits discussion, and on top of that it doesn't really make sense. IG-88 killing Jerec would cause the Droid Division to forefeit the Kaggath and as per Kaggath rules would lead to the Empire of Plagues winning and effectively absorbing Jerec's entire powerbase i.e. his faction. So it would be the equivalent of IG-88 defecting.

Nor does this inhibit IG-88s own independence, the main reason IG-88 is not defecting here is because the enemy is the complete opposite of everything he stands for, in a different Kaggath this might be different.

7. Don't quite understand what is meant here, explanation required!

8. Can Desann were PII armor? Possibly... he isn't quite humanoid though. Would it do him much good? No. His mobility would be ridiculously restricted and be as effective in lightsaber combat as a T-Rex with a club.

9. Before Selenial and Aurbere get carried away, you are not facing off against each other. Major lols. :p

But yeah guys seriously stop derailing the thread, choose a side and debate NOW!

10. You finally noticed by monkey lizard joke Sel. :p

11. In terms of how Killik Warriors will fair against P1s, refer to Grievous vs Gungans... those joints are weak spots.

12. Tune makes a good point about running from the Legacy, as in running away only to hyperspace missile straight into that thing like "KAPOW" - I don't think it has any shields so that could well tear it apart.

There's no way that thing could scale buildings. It just can't. Those four feet cannot position themselves that way. Scaling steep cliffs means that the legs have footholds. But clinging to the sides of buildings requires more than just four legs.

Take an elephant. It has four legs. It can move through water and scale steep cliffs. Can it hang onto the side of skyscrapers? No. There's no evidence that the OG-9 is any different.

While it is a different model, the Dwarf Spider droid managed just fine using 4 legs to scale 90 degree angled cliffs as seen in the Clone Wars movie on Teth.

As for this Homing Spider Droid, it has been mentioned before that it can adjust the length/angle of its legs, and due to that it would be able to get the grip on the surface it wished to climb. The difference between it and an elephant? The elephants feet are not mechanical claws that can grip and surface.

While it is a different model, the Dwarf Spider droid managed just fine using 4 legs to scale 90 degree angled cliffs as seen in the Clone Wars movie on Teth.

As for this Homing Spider Droid, it has been mentioned before that it can adjust the length/angle of its legs, and due to that it would be able to get the grip on the surface it wished to climb. The difference between it and an elephant? The elephants feet are not mechanical claws that can grip and surface.

The dwarf spider droid is completely different.

[Dwarf spider droid] legs were designed to be able to walk straight up and down walls and narrow cliffsides.

The dwarf spider droid was specifically designed to be able to do that. The OG-9 was not. Just because I have fingers that can grip a surface doesn't mean I'd be able to scale a skyscraper. The OG-9 would put one foot on there, try to push itself up and fall backward.

Look how different their legs are.

Edited by Warren-Stride

All right, Arbiter update incoming, here are my initial thoughts.

1. Shadow Droids: Controllable yes but how is Karness Muur to know what they are and how they work, basically how will he know he can control them? The technology is beyond him and I doubt he's even in space. And given from what I can gather, being able to communicate with DSiders/Sidious was not really a primary ability, just a side thing.

2. Swivel Capabilities: Just something that came time mind, how well can Yaret-Kor's maneuver to hit small targets, they don't look like they can at all and apparently aren't designed for anti-starfighter defense - having a slow rate of fire.

The point here is that while the Vong vessels are powerful, if fighters manage to get in close they are vulnerable.

Not to mention the bulk of my force, the TIE/D, are only 6m long, and not too tall. Add to the fact that they can execute maneuvers that would outright KILL any organic pilot, and that they are being controlled in groups of 4 by Shadow droids via the droid version of hive mind *extremely fast network between each other that allows them to act in tandem.* and the Vong indeed do have a targeting problem. If the Shadow droids are destroyed, they likely would revert to their previous programming.

3. IMPORTANT NOTE: I am opting for maximum complements across all vessels, in keeping with the overall notion that these vessels "height of power" and for such an important conflict factions will come well prepared.

Deploy all fighters!

4. Concerning complaints about the

5. I agree with Warren that the Empire of Plagues won't engage the Droid Division head on, must likely lure them into their territory and engage in hit and run attacks. So when it comes to ground bear that in mind Silenceo.

Noted, though, it does give the IDD more time to evac some of the uppercity as they fortify it and head down to patrol the lower city. Though, evacing the lower city would be after the fighting had started, and would not be viable until after the rakghoul plague cure was fully produced. Given that, there is no doubt there will be quite a few infectee's before they can be evaced.

6. VERDICT: In so far, there is no specific rule that states coups are not allowed, but I think I will disallow them. For one it inhibits discussion, and on top of that it doesn't really make sense. IG-88 killing Jerec would cause the Droid Division to forefeit the Kaggath and as per Kaggath rules would lead to the Empire of Plagues winning and effectively absorbing Jerec's entire powerbase i.e. his faction. So it would be the equivalent of IG-88 defecting.

Nor does this inhibit IG-88s own independence, the main reason IG-88 is not defecting here is because the enemy is the complete opposite of everything he stands for, in a different Kaggath this might be different.

7. Don't quite understand what is meant here, explanation required!

What I was referring to, is that aren't the projectiles that the vong fire basically just be balls of molten rock? If so, to the point defense guns it would be like shooting down a missile. Or, if Trench is really on top of it, using the plethra of tractor beams he possess to redirect them.

8. Can Desann were PII armor? Possibly... he isn't quite humanoid though. Would it do him much good? No. His mobility would be ridiculously restricted and be as effective in lightsaber combat as a T-Rex with a club.

Force users can surprise you...If a normal man can move easily in it, then I am sure a force enhanced super lizard, who often is commented on his immense physical strength, would manage just fine.

9. Before Selenial and Aurbere get carried away, you are not facing off against each other. Major lols. :p

But yeah guys seriously stop derailing the thread, choose a side and debate NOW!

Join the droid side! It is your destiny!

10. You finally noticed by monkey lizard joke Sel. :p

11. In terms of how Killik Warriors will fair against P1s, refer to Grievous vs Gungans... those joints are weak spots.

True, but statistically, there are 3 Killiks per PI, and they are the skilled melee warriors, if they use rakghouls, which at one point they WILL get, then it would be much easier for the PI's to defend. Defending against 3 and defending against 50+ like grevious are vastly different. :p

12. Tune makes a good point about running from the Legacy, as in running away only to hyperspace missile straight into that thing like "KAPOW" - I don't think it has any shields so that could well tear it apart.

If it must be done... *gives orders to the strike cruisers and corvettes.* OPEN FIRE!

Responses in Gray above.

What I was referring to, is that aren't the projectiles that the vong fire basically just be balls of molten rock? If so, to the point defense guns it would be like shooting down a missile. Or, if Trench is really on top of it, using the plethra of tractor beams he possess to redirect them.

The issue with this is that the yaret-kors on the capital ships basically fire this molten rock in constant streams. So a point-defense turret might stop an attack from a coralskipper, but it'll prove futile against the constant stream of large projectiles.

Also, weren't the point-defense dealing with fighters? Can't do both at once and be effective at either.

And, again, when the Vong open fire, the IDD will be expecting turbolasers. They'll have no idea that the molten rock is actually molten rock until it's ripping through their shields. And by then, you can try as you will to stop them, but adapting so quickly in the heat of battle isn't easy.

Edited by Warren-Stride