The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Kaggath Battlegrounds Heats - Empire of Plagues vs Imperial Droid Division

Beniboybling

All right, this is starting to make a lot more sense. Particle shields seem very different from deflector shields. Deflector shields seem to dissipate energy complety whereas particle shields seem like some sort of reinforcement, like some sort ablative coating. But like armor it can be punched through and can't deflect attacks completely like a ray shield.

Thanks very much for this.

Actually no, Deflector shields can protect from both.

Depending on the configuration of the deflector shield generator, this advanced force field can be composed of ray and particle shielding. A complete deflector shield protects against both solid objects and energy attacks.

-Taken from same.

There's a ray and particle deflector shields, but there can also be a complete deflector shield which protects against both rather then just the one type.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:d_wink:

I was referring to the need to switch shields instead of having them on all the time like Sel mentioned.

:d_rolls_eyes:

Side Note: Droid eye rolls is awesome.

Wolf's post seems to suggest they were always on, however I expect some were stronger than others thanks to power consumption. However the kind that seems to deflect shields completely, that needs to be turned on and can't always be on, I assume consumes a large amount of power.

I mean Trench didn't have his shields always on, and his ship was 2km long.

is what I think of when I see that smiley. Edited by Beniboybling

Yeah but I think that's the energy shield type like the kind you see in Cat and Mouse, not something you have always up as an ablative coating.

A complete Deflector shield protects from both....how is that just energy? It says right there, protects from both solid and energy attacks.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Apparently enough so to destroy the entire bridge of the SD considering with the conversation with the 3 captains and Vader, one of em was completely killed.

Not necessarily. Just means that the bridges integrity was compromised. Even a small pin point of a hole in space would soon rapidly expand for rapid decompression. At least, that is how I always viewed that scene.

Apparently enough so to destroy the entire bridge of the SD considering with the conversation with the 3 captains and Vader, one of em was completely killed.
Oh yeah I remember that, they are having a little chat about how the asteroid field is dangerous and one of them just dies. Vader doesn't even react. :p

A complete Deflector shield protects from both....how is that just energy? It says right there, protects from both solid and energy attacks.
I know, but that's not the same as just a particle shield, its far more powerful, energy consuming, visible and further from the hull. So its properties radically change to become more similar to a ray shield, as opposed to an ablative coating. Edited by Beniboybling

Alright folks, I think I'm ready to call this so if you have any final arguments to make regarding space - now's the time.

Do not forget that the TIE/D and Shadow Droids are connected due to both of them having such connections between each other and previously in other situations. Which would allow them to coordinate with deadly efficiency

Then there is the flanking of the Vong ships that I am sure Trench will use once he notices how the enemies shielding is reacting. If the man can spot exhaust trails mid combat, I am sure he can spot the enemy stopping to defend, or defending less when moving.

Droids rule. :d_cool:

Edited by Silenceo

Tiny run down of what I think would happen.

- Lomi has massive weaknesses to guard in the Legacy of Torment, fighter numbers tips in the IDD's favor as she keeps a reserve around her capital cruiser.

- Joint Shadow droids and Tie/D's obliterate the inferior Vong ships through superior maneuvers and the joined synchronization.

- Point Defense systems destroy the Lava Canon shots and send them into small pieces, which cannot penetrate the Deflector shields of superior shielded vessels.

- Fighters around the main cruisers have had their numbers slip unmistakably in the IDD's favor, as the IDD fighters swarm the Legacy of torment.

- Fighters around the Torment try to fight back but are still outnumbered, as the weak points on the LOT are exploited by the Imperial fighters, the ship has no fighter defenses to fight back.

From there it's pretty simple, an IDD victory.

Physics question for my fellow nerds. Wouldn't destroying the Vong missiles cause the pieces to shoot out in different directions, rather than just going forward?

In theory, yes. It is also quite possible that shooting them could actually slow them down as well.

In theory, yes. It is also quite possible that shooting them could actually slow them down as well.

That's what happened in the Asteroids game... and Armageddon. Yes, I know, an ancient Atari game and a Michael Bay film aren't exactly the best evidence. :p

Physics question for my fellow nerds. Wouldn't destroying the Vong missiles cause the pieces to shoot out in different directions, rather than just going forward?

Yeh, as well as slowing down.

More would carry on forward than back, but it'd spray in a 180 degree come in the front as well, on top of slowing down.

Guys, I think you are overestimating Trench's ability to combat the AiR. This isn't his typical battle. He has never encountered anything like this, and he has never even heard of the Vong. You can say he would use his point defense to combat the meteors, but would he? Or would he be busy staring in shock as living animals (note, they don't look like anything he's ever seen, read, or heard about) use weapons he has never seen rip apart his fleet.

Sure, he may adapt, but in order to adapt he has to see and understand how the weapons work and what destruction they cause. He may have defenses, but why would he use any of them? He has no reason to use his point defense on the enemies meteors because he won't expect them to be meteors. He will fall back to tactics he knows. He will try to play it safe. And then would pay the consequences.

Guys, I think you are overestimating Trench's ability to combat the AiR. This isn't his typical battle. He has never encountered anything like this, and he has never even heard of the Vong. You can say he would use his point defense to combat the meteors, but would he? Or would he be busy staring in shock as living animals (note, they don't look like anything he's ever seen, read, or heard about) use weapons he has never seen rip apart his fleet.

Sure, he may adapt, but in order to adapt he has to see and understand how the weapons work and what destruction they cause. He may have defenses, but why would he use any of them? He has no reason to use his point defense on the enemies meteors because he won't expect them to be meteors. He will fall back to tactics he knows. He will try to play it safe. And then would pay the consequences.

I think any inadequacy by Trench will be made up for due to the fact that Killiks are using Vong tech, instead the Vong themselves.