The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

OMG, glad to see you back and hurray for the new rig! And hugs to the tot. :)

Okay, a smattering of comments before I have to duck. Fingers crossed I can do a bit of Marauding today, if not, well tomorrow!

@Gearing for 3.0

I am saving all my comms for after 3.0. Five-piece Obroan, depending on which one you buy, gives you a different set set-piece bonus. My Professional would have given me a range increase on a couple of abilities, if I ever finished it on the GS. But since I assume you will have to get a new Tier I gear anyway, and you can’t trade in Obroan instead, I stopped purchasing Obroan and playing on my best girl for now.

I started with relics, then did the main-hand, then started the 5-piece + got a different enhancement for the gun. Ear and Implants, I use the L53/54 purples, they have good stats. Obviously, if you are aiming for ranked, you will need Tier 1 anyway to trade in.

I am going to Oricon with the Mara once she hits L55, to get the 156 set in the interim. Gonna get my behind shredded but what’s new….

@ Mara tactics:

With my AnniMara, the PvE rotation normally starts with a leap. It is not a great idea in PvP, since you lose you only gap-closer, plus you can’t leap at the guys you most want to leap at. So, I take a lot of damage on approach. Walking up towards the channeling Sage or a Slinger while they are happily obliging with damage is one of them bad ideas.

Seeing there so many of them, I am trying an innovating approach of sneaking up on them, warm up my Fury, leap back once they throw me back while poisoning my sabre (how one poisons a laser beam??? Anyway….) and hopefully get all the way through Rupture, Annihilate and Ravage before I die.

I tried camo as a getaway, and I don’t go far, and I can’t heal myself up in a quiet nook like an Operative would, I have to be out of combat. So, all I do is wander around half-dead, like a red-glowing ghost for a while. Might as well get to the target full-health and dish while I live. I now have Frenzy that will give me insta-30 Fury stuck, so I might pop that so I can open with Deadly Sabre+Rupture, and continue with the program after the inevitable stun or toss with a sabre toss, leap and Annihilate/Ravage/own death.

@

Screenshots: I know! But then I started the Mara, and I keep hoping it goes smoother :) Give me a few mor days to get the rotation down. But if I don't feel like I am doing any better, well, I'll just go with the naked truth there :)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A PVP A DAY

Hello all, Sandari here. I started posting in this thread after Domi started it, and had a lot of fun. I learned so much about pvp here. In Aug. while beta testing GSH on the pts my toddler broke my rig. With many family obligations and bills, it took me till last week to save to buy a new rig. I had a back up laptop but it was so old that when I downloaded swtor and tried to play at it the laptop laughed at me. So I have been able to follow the forums but not respond or play the game. Very frustrating.

Now that I am back, I will continue to post my pvp mishaps and fun, and see if I can pick up where I left off. I has hoped to be doing ranked this season but it looks as though that will have to wait to season 4. I look forward to hearing all the great advice the community has for me and the others posting in this thread.

Its nice to see you Domi and I am glad that you have kept the thread alive as long as you have. I will hopefully have some matches and bloopers to go over later today. Until then, be well. Glad to be back.

:jawa_smile:

Was wondering where the heck you went, mate. Lol at the bit about the machine laughing at you; reminds me of Ulgo Siegebreaker.

...Screenshots: I know! But then I started the Mara, and I keep hoping it goes smoother :) Give me a few mor days to get the rotation down. But if I don't feel like I am doing any better, well, I'll just go with the naked truth there :)...

Nopes, no excuses! I wanna see those screenies win or lose! Just look at what I post, lmao - embarassments as well as wins! It's fun even when you do lose that's why I fancy it so much.

Deal! I only did one zone today, just to shake off a flag from my Sage, since my hubby wandered into the Imp compound on Makeb. I got a Voidstar. We were losing so badly I was not even harassed much, and I could not keep up with healing and bubbling with everyone just dropping off like flies on me . All I had time for was Bubble/Hot/benevolence, rinse/repeat, a couple of desperation transes and puddles, and some off DPS... then get myself out of troubles. No surprise, last on the board, but someone MVP'd my poor struggling healz on general principle, I guess. I think I only got to a touch over 500 thou healz. Ye gods. Pathetic.

Okay, I finally finished Warrior's story too, got to L53, so will go to the zones tomorrow morning, will bring screenies back. I think I have a photobucket account somewhere, that should do it :)

EDIT: OKay, I remembered I forgot to ask Mal to craft us an MK-9, so here is a better day in life of Lord Becchino...

http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/Melirinda/media/SWTOR/Screenshot_2014-11-07_20_04_08_572175.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Edited by DomiSotto

Folks, I am simply amazed and delighted by this thread. In over ten years of MMO's and their forums, this is the single friendliest and most constructive discussion thread I have seen. Not something I had expected to find in a PVP forum. I am accustomed to seeing PVP-ers and PVE-ers baiting and insulting and slandering each other horribly (and equally much).

I have long been a casual player who mainly stayed in PVE content but who would, on rare occasion, spend a couple weeks getting in a few kills (assists) while being way outclassed and getting thoroughly stomped in PVP. This thread, though, has me looking forward even more eagerly to the impending arrival of my new rig so's I can not only get back into the game, but also get myself into PVP in SWTOR, which I previously had not... and then spend time and learn what I'm doing well enough to at least give as well as I get.

Terrific discussion, conducted with respect and friendliness and a genuinely helpful spirit.

Filled with insights and information I am confident I will find useful.

Great community, in this thread. Good on all of you.

Thanks, everyone! :jawa_biggrin:

Glad you like it, and welcome!

Heh, if I actually cropped the shot, you'd see that my Lord did a pathetic 30 thou of damage. Anyway, gottta go finish her off, and switch to the Sorc, till the BH week starts and I can finally start working on the Agent. I'll take a few screens, bads and goods, hopefully!

EDIT: Figured I'd post a more typical performance by Lord Becchino. We also won a pipeball, where Bec did much better, but duh, did not capture that! So, level 54 now, about to get my behind kicked to smithereens, lol. And that's the Daily done too! I was surprised how quickly it reset from the last night, but i will take it where I can get it! Okay, focus on getting to L55 now. Imp Makeb is so booring. And poor Regulators, hit on both sides!

http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/Melirinda/media/SWTOR/Screenshot_2014-11-08_06_37_54_598941.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Edited by DomiSotto

No screenies today, too wrapped up in trying to level and keep up with the PvP.

But, overall, coming to the higher bracket and having divided attention seriously addled my functioning in the zones. Unfortunately, I pulled a couple of arenas and pipeballs, so of course thinking is paramount. Erm, was not! Playing the char is so very easy, situation awareness so very hard. It was a loosing streak for my Sorcerer, which makes me a bit warm inside too, since the Republic is winning.

The Sorc just outpaced the Trooper, L42.

Defending self is more challenging now, but I have not played for a while on my Slinger, so I can't say which rDPS feels better. DMG numbers higher on the Sorc, but I have never played the Slinger in the low bracket, so dunno. Will check on the Sniper. Off-heals are nice too.

Ha! Not too shabby!

I did my daily on the Mad Sorc that consisted from just 1 Novare (yay, a win!) and I am not Level 46 after Belsavis. Basically a smooth roll to Level 55 from here for the boy. I found myself levelling with Ashara, no healer, and it goes very well. It's such an easy class to play, it is hilarious.

Then it's just one more run on the Sniper, and I am in the clear to start working on my PvP gang & learning the whole endgame thinggie!

I might also level my beloved Vanguard, but that's it. I have only 1 character left after VGT, and I am not rushing him. I am going to take a long break from levelling, actually. Though looking at the Shadow blog I am tempted again....

I am surprised to find myself suddenly an owner of a much more grown-up Legacy. Wow.

Edited by DomiSotto

A PVP A DAY

So, back in the saddle for my daily pvp. I must say that it is not like riding a bike for me. I felt outclassed and panicky. Remembering my binds have been a bish. The first couple pops I got were Makeb mesa arena, and even before my rig broke I had trouble there. I felt like a flopping fish and was the first to die in almost every round. I decided to run some flashpoints to try to get my keybnds down again.

My next WZ was a voidstar. I like these because they can be long and I have a chance to settle into playing and I did ok. As the night wore on I began to feel more confident and less panicky. I still have a fair bit of work to even be back at the level of derp I was before, but I will have fun doing it.

A couple questions. I am kitted with about half a obroan set, missing i believe a chest, offhand, belt/bracers, implant and ear. I am wary of buying any more pvp gear right now because of the x-pac coming early next month. Am I right to save my comms and just keep the pvp gear I have now. It's kind of a bummer cause I could get full obroan and do my 10 ranked matches before the x-pac, but I really dislike the thought of being a drag on my team.

My buddies say that yolo is full of people just there to get the participation crystal, gear or no gear, afkers and /stuckers. But everyone else doing it doesn't make me feel like less of an a-hole, and I don't want the pvpers on my server to lump me in with them dudes. What do you guys think? Both about the saving of comms for the 3.0 gear vs buying more obroan (the choice seems obvious but I'll still ask) and the doing the 10 ranked matches (again, answer seems obvious but it doesn't hurt to ask)

Anyway, I am happy to be back and was really stoked to find this thread still active. I will be AFK for about a week but I will be back posting after that. :jawa_smile:

A couple questions. I am kitted with about half a obroan set, missing i believe a chest, offhand, belt/bracers, implant and ear. I am wary of buying any more pvp gear right now because of the x-pac coming early next month. Am I right to save my comms and just keep the pvp gear I have now. It's kind of a bummer cause I could get full obroan and do my 10 ranked matches before the x-pac, but I really dislike the thought of being a drag on my team.

Up until a week before release I'd just buy obroan and save comms in the last week. Don't spend ranked comms at all. The lowest purchasable tier of PVP (oboran now, brutalizer on x-pac release) gear helps a lot and is relatively fast to acquire. Once x-pac is released the gear gap will be lessened, expertise on obroran will still be in effect and so any pvp gear you already have acquired is still valid.

Ha-ha, nice Arena!

@JWW:

I am glad you are getting back into it. OMG, I fumble at my binds after 2 days of not playing a character, so you are flying, friend! :)

I am also tempted to get those 10 zones, and I wish I could just find 3 other people with the similar goal – comms & crystal, and go in just before the season’s ending. I am probably going to miss it, since I have no idea when Season 3 ends. Rating, I assume, resets anyway, so if I totally start shining bright I can always have a fresh start in Season 6 or whatever. And I won’t be imposing on people who really, really need their ELO. It’s just 10 zones…. Wish you were on my server, I’d come with you! Then, at least you won’t be focused first, lol!