Please Bioware Do Not give GMs sole power to pilot guild flagships

That goes for players that think they own the guild. If I had a guildmaster that treated the guildship like his/hers own property and moved at will I would leave, instantly.

That could be stated about anything guild related. Bad choices by guild management, regardless the topic, is always going to exist. It sort's itself out eventually as selfish and inconsiderate GMs generally are unable to maintain a guild either.... because everyone will refuse to be part of that guild.... or it attracts like minded scrubs.... so it's self limiting.

Shifting the topic slightly... I DO think we are going to see some notable forum drama in the coming months as some guilds implode when they pool funds to obtain and deck out a guild ship... only to have the GM /kick everyone and take the ship and run. Given past guild based drama in this MMO and others... I can totally see this happening and someone prosecuting a thread demanding said GMs permanent banning from the game.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could be stated about anything guild related. Bad choices by guild management, regardless the topic, is always going to exist. It sort's itself out eventually as selfish and inconsiderate GMs generally are unable to maintain a guild either.... because everyone will refuse to be part of that guild.... or it attracts like minded scrubs.... so it's self limiting.

Shifting the topic slightly... I DO think we are going to see some notable forum drama in the coming months as some guilds implode when they pool funds to obtain and deck out a guild ship... only to have the GM /kick everyone and take the ship and run. Given past guild based drama in this MMO and others... I can totally see this happening and someone prosecuting a thread demanding said GMs permanent banning from the game.

And this is why you should do your homework before joining a guild. Join with friends or a group you have really looked into . Joining some random guild brings no guarantees. :eek:

And this is why you should do your homework before joining a guild. Join with friends or a group you have really looked into . Joining some random guild brings no guarantees. :eek:

If anyone can do their "homework" before joining then it is great but not many players can. There are too many random guilds that recruits.

I have examples though of guilds that were very solid and everyone trusted the guildmaster and then ended up betrayed with nothing left. In the MMO world there are no guarantees, "homework" done or not

Edited by Icestar

I DO think we are going to see some notable forum drama in the coming months as some guilds implode when they pool funds to obtain and deck out a guild ship... only to have the GM /kick everyone and take the ship and run. Given past guild based drama in this MMO and others... I can totally see this happening and someone prosecuting a thread demanding said GMs permanent banning from the game.

It has already started, a week ago I read in the general chat about a guildmaster that called for funds for a flagship only to take it all and disband the guild. If three/four players write about it at the same time there is probably some truth to what happened.

I have no idea if Bioware will do something about incidents like this. I hope they do if the guild intend to buy something worth many millions of credits and someone scams it.

Absolutely.

Guild joining/leaving and guilds forming and folding has become epidemic in modern MMOs. I'm not quite sure where it went south... but IMO it was about year 4 or 5 of WoW. And it has polluted every new MMO to launch since. It seems to be conjoined with all the nomadic MMO hopping that takes place these days.

I doubt you can "pilot" the guild ships, they are most likely going to be guild version of the strongholds, that "level up" based on what the whole guild is doing by dailies, by doing operations or by the new world conquer system, and give new legacy abilities or boosts to the members of the guild.

TL:DR Guild ships are going to be expensive version of Strongholds, nothing extremely fancy.

I doubt you can "pilot" the guild ships, they are most likely going to be guild version of the strongholds, that "level up" based on what the whole guild is doing by dailies, by doing operations or by the new world conquer system, and give new legacy abilities or boosts to the members of the guild.

TL:DR Guild ships are going to be expensive version of Strongholds, nothing extremely fancy.

They already confirmed you can move the ship from planet to planet

Guild joining/leaving and guilds forming and folding has become epidemic in modern MMOs.

It will be interesting when they launch the flagship patch. I suspect that many small guilds will vanish and get soaked up into bigger guilds that can afford the ship.

Edited by Icestar

It will be interesting when they launch the flagship patch. I suspect that many small guilds will vanish and get soaked up into bigger guilds that can afford the ship.

I'm currently the GM of a two and a half player guild that has more than double the funds of the larger guild that I play in. It's also safe to say that I'm building this ship on my own. So in reality it comes down to how much you're willing to put in.

I'm currently the GM of a two and a half player guild that has more than double the funds of the larger guild that I play in. It's also safe to say that I'm building this ship on my own. So in reality it comes down to how much you're willing to put in.

I agree. While we don't have a small guild. My guild has taken the time to start saving up credits for the ships. We will be ready come august.

We have a small guild but we have been able to save credits for 4 banks tabs and we are now saving for the guild ship.

I doubt you can "pilot" the guild ships, they are most likely going to be guild version of the strongholds (...)
They already confirmed you can move the ship from planet to planet

We got this. But clicking on a galaxy map and having your ship warp to a destination can hardly be called "flying".

Edited by demotivator

Regardless, my original point is that they chose - yet again(!) - to delay indefinitely something to a feature they had released. It's not exactly the first time either, since I can't remember the last time they released or added new Space Missions.

they destroyed seeker droiding...still waiting for orbital tickle to get round 2 of its vivisection.

All this says is that people join guilds spur of the moment without doing their homework. You wouldn't join a union that way, or even a book club, so why a guild with whom you'll spend a great deal more time?

I was in a guild that I was an officer in. the GM didnt log in for more than 5 min in 3 months..rl trouble. if we had a ship that we had all chipped in for, we would be out of luck. I know if the ship is gm property, he can pay for it.

We got this. But clicking on a galaxy map and having your ship warp to a destination can hardly be called "flying".

Since you were responding to a comment about "piloting," you do understand that "flying" and "piloting" are different things, yes? One does not "fly" an aircraft carrier or a battlecruiser, which is what SW capital ships pretty much are, just in space instead of on the sea.

Perhaps you think piloting an aircraft carrier or battle cruiser would make a great mini-game, but I doubt it.

they destroyed seeker droiding...still waiting for orbital tickle to get round 2 of its vivisection.

What does now correctly balanced Orbital Strike have to do with guild ships?

Perhaps you think piloting an aircraft carrier or battle cruiser would make a great mini-game, but I doubt it.

Maybe not in this game but that other spaceship MMO is all about that.

Edited by Halinalle

Am I alone in thinking that it's not at all exciting method of dropping breadcrumbs of information during Cantina Tour to selected few and then see it trickle via random podcast, eventually to Reddit for more attention and then finally here to general discussion is just ********? Does someone think it's in some way "cool" or more efficient way of communicating?

If the information is solid, given by a staff member to create some buzz through the community, I would claim it would be more efficient for a developer or community manager to post a new thread to general discussion and Reddit at the same time -or God forbid; create a news item on the swtor.com landing page.

No disrespect, but this method of leaking crumbs is just (again) ******** way of communicating -even thought the staff might not be too liable for what they say on Cantina Tour. Not being liable could be achieved by a disclaimer on a post here or Reddit too. Just.. omg *** bmw.

Time will tell how much those ships will cost.

They should release this info very soon so the guild know atleast a 5-6 weeks in advance how much to save.

Edited by Icestar

Am I alone in thinking that it's not at all exciting method of dropping breadcrumbs of information during Cantina Tour to selected few and then see it trickle via random podcast, eventually to Reddit for more attention and then finally here to general discussion is just ********? Does someone think it's in some way "cool" or more efficient way of communicating?

If the information is solid, given by a staff member to create some buzz through the community, I would claim it would be more efficient for a developer or community manager to post a new thread to general discussion and Reddit at the same time -or God forbid; create a news item on the swtor.com landing page.

No disrespect, but this method of leaking crumbs is just (again) ******** way of communicating -even thought the staff might not be too liable for what they say on Cantina Tour. Not being liable could be achieved by a disclaimer on a post here or Reddit too. Just.. omg *** bmw.

Agreed. If those features that Jack Wood discussed are locked as being in housing, it should have been on the front page right NOW instead of buried in this thread as hearsay, picked up only by those of us who did some digging.

They better have some sort of Grand Reveal this week.

Agreed. If those features that Jack Wood discussed are locked as being in housing, it should have been on the front page right NOW instead of buried in this thread as hearsay, picked up only by those of us who did some digging.

They better have some sort of Grand Reveal this week.

They are doing it that way and avoiding their own official forums because of the way reddit works. On that site, the ********** of upvotes generally ensures that only positive comments are readily visible. They do it here, youll have page after page of negative ones (and likely a ton of them legitimate). They do it elsewhere, and oh, look at all that positive press! People must love this! Etc!

Or at least let there be an option in Guild Management to assign that privilege to certain guild ranks in the same way invite and kick are.

Agreed. Isn't the very fact that we can assign different levels of membership and allow those levels to do different things because the onus shouldn't be on just the GM of the guild? It doesn't really make sense to have the Guild Ships operate any differently than the rest of the guild features.

They are doing it that way and avoiding their own official forums because of the way reddit works. On that site, the ********** of upvotes generally ensures that only positive comments are readily visible. They do it here, youll have page after page of negative ones (and likely a ton of them legitimate). They do it elsewhere, and oh, look at all that positive press! People must love this! Etc!

Or I could possibly be the fact that they like to reward those who spent their hard earn money to travel to the cantina with a small caveat and release the full info to the general public later. I believe it was said one person traveled all the way to south Africa just to go to this cantina tour.

I see nothing wrong with this method also it gives more power to the community to spread the info