The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is assault spec Vanguard viable?

tharbison

Do assault spec Vanguards hold their own in PVE? I mostly do heorics & flashpoints, no pvp, and don't really play end game.. I'm not looking to be a dps monster, but at the same time, I don't want to gimp my team.

Should I even bother?

Edited by tharbison

Do assault spec Vanguards hold their own in PVE? I mostly do heorics & flashpoints, no pvp, and don't really play end game.. I'm not looking to be a dps monster, but at the same time, I don't want to gimp my team.

Should I even bother?

Too bad, its a DPS monster

Assault VG can deal ALOT of damage, like upwards of 4.5k DPS if i remember correctly though, most other DPS classes can deal 4.3k - 4.5k DPS

Actually the highest is 4.2k which is with mostly dread master gear. Sorcs, Mercs, operatives, and marauders are also doing 4.2 with similar gear, while shadows/sins are at 4.2~4.3 (the 4.3 is 95% dread master)

Edited by xxSHOONYxx

Actually the highest is 4.2k which is with mostly dread master gear. Sorcs, Mercs, operatives, and marauders are also doing 4.2 with similar gear, while shadows/sins are at 4.2~4.3

Well thats if you're ignoring the guy with a suspiciously high crit rate who hit 4.23k in full dread forged gear with no dread masters stuff.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7488937&postcount=166

Edited by TACeMossie

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies. I had a blast with the assault specialst VG spec. Very fun. So many tools. Love it.

Now...I just hit 50 and have a pile of planetary comms. I got the purple lvl 50 Aim armor mods, but am not sure which enhancements to roll with. What's the priority for this spec? Accuracy? Crit? Surge? Power?

I mostly play pve/FP's/heorics. No pvp. I don't usually play end game, but, I'm having so much fun with this class I may dip my toe in...

Edited by tharbison

Thanks for all the replies. I had a blast with the assault specialst VG spec. Very fun. So many tools. Love it.

Now...I just hit 50 and have a pile of planetary comms. I got the purple lvl 50 Aim armor mods, but am not sure which enhancements to roll with. What's the priority for this spec? Accuracy? Crit? Surge? Power?

I mostly play pve/FP's/heorics. No pvp. I don't usually play end game, but, I'm having so much fun with this class I may dip my toe in...

TAC has a great guide which covers gearing, but in general:

100%ranged/110% tech accuracy

For level 50 gear I would say probably ~100-150 crit rating (I forget what the stat budgets were for rakata gear)

The rest in power and surge

If your aren't doing operations, get 95% accuracy, rest of the enhancements as surge, and prioritize power. If you do end up doing operations:

Accuracy vs Surge vs Alacrity

Accuracy to 100%

Surge remaining tertiary budget (surge only competes with accuracy)

Power vs Crit

Power to 1200

Then after that, get about 9 crit for every 10 power after that

AUGMENTS

You'll have to augment eventually, so get Aim ones. If you ever get into dread masters gear, one of them can be an accuracy augment so you can have more surge and be over 100% accuracy

RELICS

Similarly you'll have to get relics eventually. I'd actually recommend doing the PvP weekly once or twice so you can pick up some PvP relics as they are really good.

If you can get PvP or Dread Forged+ level relics, go with the Focused Retribution and the Serendipitous Assault

If you are going with any other relics, go with the Boundless Ages relic, and:

If you can get a Serendipitous Assault, use that

If you can not, get a damage proc relic that does internal damage (i'd have preferred elemental, but the elemental one is force, not tech, and the damage proc relic can crit)