How much do you pay to play?

MSchuyler

What with all the hate & discontent floating about this week, as it does after every patch, I started thinking about how much I have to pay to even be in this game at all. Now I know there is a range. It starts with $0.00 for F2P up to a maximum of $15.00 for 30 days. Is that right, or is it a full month? No matter, there are ways to SLIGHTLY reduce this bill by paying in 3 or 6 month increments, but for our purposes we'll just go for $15.00 per month to make it easy to calculate. And let's not count CC grants as any kind of refund because they aren't worth anything in Real Money anyway unless you go through extensive gyrations of cheating to turn them into credits, then sell the credits offline. Besides, that's a lot of work! (Umm, or so I've been told.)

So yesterday I played for 5.5 hours. My Sith went up several levels, got her ship, kicked some butt, wiped a few times, and wound up exhausted on the fleet for some R&R. So how much did I pay?

Nine cents an hour.

YMMV

Edited by MSchuyler

What with all the hate & discontent floating about this week, as it does after every patch, I started thinking about how much I have to pay to even be in this game at all. Now I know there is a range. It starts with $0.00 for F2P up to a maximum of $15.00 for 30 days. Is that right, or is it a full month? No matter, there are ways to SLIGHTLY reduce this bill by paying in 3 or 6 month increments, but for our purposes we'll just go for $15.00 per month to make it easy to calculate. And let's not count CC grants as any kind of refund because they aren't worth anything in Real Money anyway unless you go through extensive gyrations of cheating to turn them into credits, then sell the credits offline. Besides, that's a lot of work! (Umm, or so I've been told.)

So yesterday I played for 5.5 hours. My Sith went up several levels, got her ship, kicked some butt, wiped a few times, and wound up exhausted on the fleet for some R&R. So how much did I pay?

Nine cents an hour.

YMMV

That is assuming you play for 5.5 hours every day. No one plays the same amount of time each day. If you really want to know how much you pay per hour. You would have time whole month's game time and figure it out from that figure.

Are you also talking playing the game or logged into the game? My game is running in the background as I work on calc homework or write papers. I swap over every once in awhile and kill something , do a quest or talk to my guild for a quick break. I may only play 10 minutes an hour.

What's the point of this thread again?

+1

OP , explain yourself again in a few words :) We cant read a wall of bullsith...

Pay $14,99 per month if you want to play this game. Thats it. You can quit in 1 month if you are not satisfied.

That is assuming you play for 5.5 hours every day. No one plays the same amount of time each day. If you really want to know how much you pay per hour. You would have time whole month's game time and figure it out from that figure. .

That's why I added: YMMV. There are any number of ways to do it, of course. For the OCD crowd, you'd have to keep careful records per month and track to the tenth of a cent. By all means.....collect more data!

What's the point of this thread again?

You've seen the whining as much as I have, especially the people who DEMAND A REFUND! Well? The more you play, the less you pay per hour. It's pretty cheap entertainment over all. Where else can you be entirely engrossed in an entertaining venue for a dime an hour? You didn't play for a day? Oh noes! You lost 50 cents. Do that for a week and you can buy a latte.

The point is that the emotion expended per dollar paid is completely over-balanced. To think that a glitch in the code, most of which were fixed within a few hours, would cause this much angst is a First World Problem not worthy of note to anyone who either works or fights for a living. Our kids are dying overseas with no hope of a Medical Droid resurrecting them. The real unemployment rate (not the false one advertised by the government) is still hovering at 20%. People are losing their homes and, despite Obamacare, can't afford their own health insurance...

and people here "demand a refund!" when their actual cost to play on an hourly basis, given their addiction, is almost too low to measure. It's a sick, shameful joke.

You've seen the whining as much as I have, especially the people who DEMAND A REFUND! Well? The more you play, the less you pay per hour. It's pretty cheap entertainment over all. Where else can you be entirely engrossed in an entertaining venue for a dime an hour? You didn't play for a day? Oh noes! You lost 50 cents. Do that for a week and you can buy a latte.

The point is that the emotion expended per dollar paid is completely over-balanced. To think that a glitch in the code, most of which were fixed within a few hours, would cause this much angst is a First World Problem not worthy of note to anyone who either works or fights for a living. Our kids are dying overseas with no hope of a Medical Droid resurrecting them. The real unemployment rate (not the false one advertised by the government) is still hovering at 20%. People are losing their homes and, despite Obamacare, can't afford their own health insurance...

and people here "demand a refund!" when their actual cost to play on an hourly basis, given their addiction, is almost too low to measure. It's a sick, shameful joke.

I read the post above. Can I ask a refund for time wasted?

I read the post above. Can I ask a refund for time wasted?

There's an idea, refunds for opportunity cost.

Were you not reading this forum post, would you have been:

A. Writing a groundbreaking screenplay

B. Having sex with a super model

C. Winning the lottery

D. Wasting your time reading another forum post

Please fill in the above and send to your nearest consumer advocacy group to petition for a refund.

Edited by Vandicus

There's an idea, refunds for opportunity cost.

Were you not reading this forum post, would you have been:

A. Writing a groundbreaking screenplay

B. Having sex with a super model

C. Winning the lottery

D. Wasting your time reading another forum post

Please fill in the above and send to your nearest consumer advocacy group to petition for a refund.

I actually did three of those already. :p