Practical or For Show?

Silenceo

Agreed, 4 words. Han Solo Wall Decoration. That is all. Though, what do you think of the military/bounty hunter applications of carbonite?

I find the military applications to be very "for show" as I can't think of an application were lethal firepower or stun weapons would be less effective.

But for Bounty Hunters it seems like it might be a decent way to transport prisoners if you factor in the fact they have repulsorsleds. I like the idea since it essentially ensures the prisoner can't try to bribe/fight/escape etc.. their way to freedom and if you sell the mounts you can charge extra for shipping, the frame, and mounting. :D

Oh, the carbonation sickness is a neat security feature since it is essentially makes any escape (should they somehow manage it) nearly impossible till the sickness wears off.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the military applications to be very "for show" as I can't think of an application were lethal firepower or stun weapons would be less effective.

But for Bounty Hunters it seems like it might be a decent way to transport prisoners if you factor in the fact they have repulsorsleds. I like the idea since it essentially ensures the prisoner can't try to bribe/fight/escape etc.. their way to freedom and if you sell the mounts you can charge extra for shipping, the frame, and mounting. :D

Oh, the carbonation sickness is a neat security feature since it is essentially makes any escape (should they somehow manage it) nearly impossible till the sickness wears off.

True, though I really wish they would have expanded upon carbonite, it had such potential to differentiate itself from other types of weapons by being able to change the battle field... Imagine going through a star ship and fighting enemies on all sides. If you had a carbonite grenade designed to expand and fill a space, you could close off multiple of the corridor entrances, and something tells me carbonite is relatively resistant to damage.

Sadly, as a weapon it does indeed fail. As a utility, it was failed to be expanded upon.

Are we all in agreement? Carbonite is For Show?

I agree but I also want to bring up something I have always been convinced of: the Executor-class was for show I mean consider the following:

The Executor is meant to be the most terrifying monstrosity to travel the stars yet... it's entire city scape is not in any way or shape protected by armor and the bridge suffers exactly the same problem all of it's little brothers did, it is absolutely the most glaring point in all ship designs in Star Wars to me, it is completely devoid of any logic or thought.

These things are supposed to be insanely expensive to build and THREE STARFIGHTERS BLEW UP THE LEAD SHIP OF THE SERIES!

Now the Assertor-class is a serious and far more logical approach to how a Super Star Destroyer should be done.

Thats the thing.

The executor WAS entirely for show, that's the point.

The size of the thing along with the defenses was just meant to scare the living bejesus out of local systems, it was never truly meant to combat say 3 non calamari cruisers.

Thats the thing.

The size of the thing along with the defenses was just meant to scare the living bejesus out of local systems, it was never truly meant to combat say 3 non calamari cruisers.

I hate those non calamarians. Mon Calamari are way cooler. :cool:

Thats the thing.

Whilst the Tarkin Doctrine was influential they still had free reign to properly design competent ships, hence the Assertor-class, far more practical and survivable.

"The Assertor was designed with practicality in mind, the Executors were frowned upon by many in the Imperial Navy and a more behind-the-scenes approach was taken in the development of the vessel and the main priority was a shorter but far thicker and more heavily armoured vessel than it's larger cousin.

With triple layered durasteel covering the entire ship, even the gun batteries, almost all weaponry arrayed against it was ineffective. The city scape despite being covered in twice the amount of Durasteel plating as the rest of the ship was fitted with multi-barrelled quad heavy point defence turrets along the entire scape leading right up to the bridge rendering any trench run attacks by starfighters pointless.

Regardless of such a mountainuous defence the bridge and city scape had a formidable eight shield generators, only two of which were required at any one time.

However due to the sheer financial cost and six years required to construct each ship, Imperial Moffs demanded that a secondary bridge be placed at the front of the city scape after a disaster in 1ABY when the trench run disease became more and more apparent to both the Empire and it's Rebellion.

After the navy finally approved the final design specifications, many Moffs wanted the Executors in production to be converted over, the Emperor disagreed and his obsession with larger and larger ships became very clear to the Navy

and ships like the Eclipse eventually demoralised completely any of the unofficial resistance among the Moffs to his majesty's obsession, no matter how many protested the ludicrous costs both financially and in resources. The famous Admiral Ackbar would state after the battle of Endor that the Emperor had defeated his navy for him, the ineffective designs and enormous costs greatly hindered the capabilities of the Empire to fight back against the far more durable Mon Calamari vessels which became ever more present for the New Republic."

I agree but I also want to bring up something I have always been convinced of: the Executor-class was for show I mean consider the following:

The Executor is meant to be the most terrifying monstrosity to travel the stars yet... it's entire city scape is not in any way or shape protected by armor and the bridge suffers exactly the same problem all of it's little brothers did, it is absolutely the most glaring point in all ship designs in Star Wars to me, it is completely devoid of any logic or thought.

These things are supposed to be insanely expensive to build and THREE STARFIGHTERS BLEW UP THE LEAD SHIP OF THE SERIES!

Now the Assertor-class is a serious and far more logical approach to how a Super Star Destroyer should be done.

Ever hear of plot hm? :p

Besides the Executor was only destroyed due to the fact that the gunners weren't fast enough to intensify the forward gun batteries as Piett told them to.

If you also recall Ackbar ordered concentrated fire upon the Executor, so I wouldn't call it was just 3 Starfighters blowing up the ship single handily. There was more to it than that.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Besides the Executor was only destroyed due to the fact that the gunners weren't fast enough to intensify the forward gun batteries as Piett told them to.

If you also recall Ackbar ordered concentrated fire upon the Executor, so I wouldn't call it was just 3 Starfighters blowing up the ship single handily. There was more to it than that.

I thought this thread was all about pointing out the practicalities or lack thereof on things in Star Wars regardless of plot.

Anyway, I think the fact that the Alliance fighters were so easily able to use the city scape to trench run it's batteries says everything however, it was a glaring weakness that a few slabs of plating could have subverted but nope Imperials being Imperials they got over confident and blown up, sound familiar?

Also whilst yes you are right, the main cause of it's loss of control and death plunge into the station was the loss of the bridge.

Edited by LadyKulvax

What is your opinion of the Praetor series Aurbere?

Eh, don't really have one. They look cool, if that's opinion enough. Beyond that, I never really took an interest in them.

In the context of this thread, I'm thinking that they are for show like most Imperial vessels.

The survival of your warship should NEVER depend on the commanding officer being able to spot an incoming starfighter and verbally direct fire towards it. That is all.

True but the odds of getting through to the bridge wasn't that big.

As a famous smuggler once said, "Never tell me the odds!"

Seriously, if all the lead engineers had to tell the Emperor was 'well, the odds of that happening and our gazillion dollar starship being destroyed are pretty slim...'

As a famous smuggler once said, "Never tell me the odds!"

Seriously, if all the lead engineers had to tell the Emperor was 'well, the odds of that happening and our gazillion dollar starship being destroyed are pretty slim...'

Yeah but realistically, if it had been just a regular battle between Home One and the Executor. I don't think they would have destroyed it, there had to be concentrated fire upon the Executor to bring down it's shields to even hit the bridge, that's why Piett opted for intensifying the forward firepower, but the gunners were too slow.

Also IIRC, Palps was dead at that point so the whole fleet was in disarray. Though if I am remembering wrong, still point stands.

But anyway moving on now..

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Yeah but realistically, if it had been just a regular battle between Home One and the Executor. I don't think they would have destroyed it, there had to be concentrated fire upon the Executor to bring down it's shields to even hit the bridge, that's why Piett opted for intensifying the forward firepower, but the gunners were too slow.

Also IIRC, Palps was dead at that point so the whole fleet was in disarray. Though if I am remembering wrong, still point stands.

But anyway moving on now..

Palpatine had literally zero relevance on the battle. He didn't even issue orders to his fleet or communicate with them!

Palpatine had literally zero relevance on the battle. He didn't even issue orders to his fleet or communicate with them!

Actually that is completely false Ventessel. One of the main things that Palpatine did was he constantly was using battle meditation. I am unsure if this was only for specific battles such as at the Death Star II, or in general, but when he uses it, it is almost a passive thing for him. There is a theory floating around that he was always passively using it to constantly amplify Imperial efficiency in battle, but it is unconfirmed.

What this did was allowed the Imperials to be much more disciplined and able to act as one in combat, but when he was killed they lost that and since they were so used to having it they essentially had forgotten how to fight without it. Granted, they soon relearned.

It would be akin to playing a Deception Sith Assassin who suddenly loses his stealth for the next 24 hours. They had grown to depend on that one thing and sure they could learn to cope given time, but since it happens so suddenly they find it hard to fight back against immediate enemies.

Not sure if this qualifies as a necro or not...

For Show: Bridges (spaceship style)

They are just so dumb. So, so dumb. You don't need an exposed tower to gaze out over the battleground that leaves you pretty much undefended from all kinds of weapons and dangerous situations.

Not sure if this qualifies as a necro or not...

For Show: Bridges (spaceship style)

They are just so dumb. So, so dumb. You don't need an exposed tower to gaze out over the battleground that leaves you pretty much undefended from all kinds of weapons and dangerous situations.

I couldn't agree more, they are so vulnerable its laughable.