The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Suggested Gap Closer

elperzon

AOE Specs shouldnt be the ones parsing the lowest just because their AOE attack is supposed to be their highest damager... AP NEEDS a buff. I would play the spec if we got these changes.

15% extra damage on Retrac Blade's DoT and upfront damage

10% More damage on Rail Shot, Rocket Punch, and Immolate

30% Surge on Rail Shot and Shoulder Cannon in addition to our current Surge bonuses

All of these would create an AOE Spec that can still do some good Single target damage.

ok, so you're "that guy" - the guy that wants his class to be full retard OP.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but we are the worst PVE class, next to deception sins. Who have 1 natural gap closer and one speedup. And optionally useful teleport. Other AOE classes have better single target damage. And rage have jump and one 10m closer. Sabotage can do their dirty work from 30 meters, and they still have gap closer.

And yes, i do know that PVP is also involved. But every time gap closers are discussed, they are neglected with "shut up, you have harpoon and slows" BS.

so is it just me, or are alot of people missing the point? this is an AOE spec..... NOT MEANT FOR USE IN SINGLE TARGET FIGHTS. when in PVE you play whichever spec is appropriate to the boss fight, people that ***** and moan about having to play a spec they dont like eventually get left behind.

you want a 10m jump? oh wait, all of your abilities except interrupt ARE 10 METERS.

noone plays smash when its a SINGLE TARGET fight, they play anni, and PTs play Pyro. you know like mentioned above, playing whatever spec is needed.

And Sabo snipers are only viable due to wallbang.. And for the love of god, roll is not a "gap closer" its a GETAWAY, since its a 100% 30-35m range class.

Uptime, sure, since you can spam Rapid Shots and pop Rail Shot/Unload once in a while at 30 meters. Mobility, though? We'd be comparing Force Charge and Intercede with Hydraulic Overrides and Grapple. If you've ever played Shield Tech, you'd know just how mobile a leap makes you.

Try it. Or don't. You might not like what the superior mobility of not having a leap feels like.

For burst damage, my Operative can do 10k damage in 3 GCD: Explosive Probe + Snipe + Snipe. Sure, over a longer period of time, a non-spec Powertech would probably win over a non-spec Operative, due to Death From Above's massive damage and Unload's relatively short cooldown.

Try pitting a Pyro Powertech against a Lethality Operative at 30 meters, though. Corrosive Grenade, double-ticks on Corrosive Dart, and resource generation on DoT crits = Snipe spam. I bet the fight would be much closer than you think.

I Put your problems in bold.. You're a PT using unload? that shouldnt even be bound on your bar, seriously. unload? UNLOAD? UNLOAD?

Also - Pyro PT vs Lethality operative - pyro wins 100% of the time, lol @ EP > S > S theory. thats cute :)

Yeah I'm going to agree3 with Aetrus.

We are fine, other than a slight tweak to AP, we don't need anything atm, and giving us anything will just make us overpowered.

I honestly think giving AP the option of "channel" on the run or KB immunity would fix the spec and make it alot more "fun" to play. only getting off flame throwers during white bar and HO phases is kind of lame (because everyones first instinct is to stun/knock back).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Put your problems in bold.. You're a PT using unload? that shouldnt even be bound on your bar, seriously. unload? UNLOAD? UNLOAD?

I cry when I see PT's using unload, and what's worse is that there's one on my server that thinks it should be used on cooldown (they're 55, and also think they're NiM ready :eek: )

Now if they made PTF also apply to unload, but at a higher damage increase (30% per stack instead of 20%) then it would be great to use in single target fights as a replacement for flame thrower. A nice Single target buff without changing it's AoE potential.

Just before it starts - i'm not talking about pyro. It's probably fixed. May be it will even get nerfed. It's AP rage post, remember that please.

so is it just me, or are alot of people missing the point? this is an AOE spec..... NOT MEANT FOR USE IN SINGLE TARGET FIGHTS. when in PVE you play whichever spec is appropriate to the boss fight, people that ***** and moan about having to play a spec they dont like eventually get left behind.

Is it me, or are you missing the point? Yes, i know it's AOE. Yes, i know pyro single target will and must be better. Problem is, it doesn't make AP fixed. It's low mobility melee AOE with almost 0 use in any Ops. They almost never are wanted in endgame PVE. And that should be changed, don't you think? To make AP viable? Not top parsing DPS, but viable one?

you want a 10m jump? oh wait, all of your abilities except interrupt ARE 10 METERS.

Learn to read. No, i don't want it. I want a 30 meter jump. Or roll. Or heavy speedup. What i'm saying is that other melee AOE has better mobility. They are on target while we are still running (which combines perfectly with worst DPS in game)

Also, learn the spec you are trying to talk about. AP is based on 2 melee skills (blade and punch) to open and maintain rotation.

noone plays smash when its a SINGLE TARGET fight, they play anni, and PTs play Pyro. you know like mentioned above, playing whatever spec is needed.

Now, seriously. Give me example of a boss fight where AP is superior (ok, at least on pair) to/with any other AOE spec. Not talking about trash clearing here. Remember mobility, range and raid utility as well please.

And Sabo snipers are only viable due to wallbang.. And for the love of god, roll is not a "gap closer" its a GETAWAY, since its a 100% 30-35m range class.

Well, they are viable, you said it. And for some reason i believe that even when it's gone they will be more desirable then AP in any AOE heavy situation. As for roll - ok, it's not gap closer. It's something that allows ranged class to instant-move for another 30 meters. Something 4-10 meters class doesn't have. Nice mobility, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Also - Pyro PT vs Lethality operative - pyro wins 100% of the time, lol @ EP > S > S theory. thats cute :)

I take it you missed the part where we were talking about 30-meter damage output?

Also, it's not a theory...

I take it you missed the part where we were talking about 30-meter damage output?

Also, it's not a theory...

unload should never be used by a PT in late game, if your at around 30 meters from your target you should either try closing the gap down to 10 meters or run for cover(depending on the scenario), either of these options are denied by unload rooting you in place and the dmg it does is totally not worth it. You should be using Rapid Shot/Explosive dart and Rail shot. PT`s are all about mobility and it sounds like your playing him like a merc. Edited by iDraxter

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, i had a sort of idea that would hopefully bridge the gap between the fullout ******* who dont want Jet Charge to be a universal skill and the smart people who do want Jet Charge to be a universal PT ability.

A. Return Incend Missile to 30m range but NOT Thermal Detonator. that way we can get at max 2/3 DoT's on our target before we get to the target as Pyro.

B. Create a new talent called Jet Storm in the AP tree.

Jet Storm - After completing or canceling the cast on Death From Above you will engage your jetpack and slam into the ground dealing ~2000 - ~3500 to all targets within a 5 meter radius also reduces the cooldown on Death From Above by 7.5/15 seconds and reduces it's heat cost by 2.5/5

This would give us that leap we want AND satisfy the ******* who dont want Jet Charge to be a Universal Powertech skill. Sure, it would cost heat, but only 20 Heat, and it would help the damage of AP out, and give them another AOE skill to flesh out their arsenal. Also Death From Above has NO other skill tree to give it any changes with talents, so this would be 100% unique to the AP Tree. Yes, Pyro would get the short end of the stick, but Pyro has long been the shining skill tree of the 2 PT DPS trees, it's time for AP to shine.

Edited by Kaos_KidSWTOR

Ok, i had a sort of idea that would hopefully bridge the gap between the fullout ******* who dont want Jet Charge to be a universal skill and the smart people who do want Jet Charge to be a universal PT ability.

A. Return Incend Missile to 30m range but NOT Thermal Detonator. that way we can get at max 2/3 DoT's on our target before we get to the target as Pyro.

B. Create a new talent called Jet Storm in the AP tree.

Jet Storm - After completing the cast on Death From Above you will engage your jetpack and slam into the ground dealing ~2000 - ~3500 to all targets within a 5 meter radius also reduces the cooldown on Death From Above by 7.5/15 seconds and reduces it's heat cost by 2.5/5

This would give us that leap we want AND satisfy the ******* who dont want Jet Charge to be a Universal Powertech skill. Sure, it would cost heat, but only 20 Heat, and it would help the damage of AP out, and give them another AOE skill to flesh out their arsenal. Also Death From Above has NO other skill tree to give it any changes with talents, so this would be 100% unique to the AP Tree. Yes, Pyro would get the short end of the stick, but Pyro has long been the shining skill tree of the 2 PT DPS trees, it's time for AP to shine.

Uhm ppl that are againts JetCharge are the ones that realise how OP PT`s would be, I WOULD LOVE the leap but the hate and fotm stages that would follow and then some Nerf may not be worth it. Now granted AP is the spec that actually is more in-need of a gap-closer rather then pyro which in all honesty leap would be absurdly OP, I was wondering on what u said about leaping after DFA, what would happen if u get CC`ed/interrupted while channeling DFA? Usually When DFA is used it`s always the case that you either get stopped or ppl are out of it before the last tick(in which case i end the channeling immediatly to pursue a target) so slamming into the ground where everybody is long gone or u getting DFA canceled and remain in place= what`s the point of your idea again?

On a different note your leap after DFA is exploitable considering you don`t need an enemy to trigger DFA anywhere you want making PT`s the easiest AC to collect datacrons for example.

If the devs do decide to make Jetcharge baseline it would only happen in a major patch like 3.0/4.0 etc because that`s the point in the game that every AC gets touched and improved in some way.

Uhm ppl that are againts JetCharge are the ones that realise how OP PT`s would be, I WOULD LOVE the leap but the hate and fotm stages that would follow and then some Nerf may not be worth it. Now granted AP is the spec that actually is more in-need of a gap-closer rather then pyro which in all honesty leap would be absurdly OP, I was wondering on what u said about leaping after DFA, what would happen if u get CC`ed/interrupted while channeling DFA? Usually When DFA is used it`s always the case that you either get stopped or ppl are out of it before the last tick(in which case i end the channeling immediatly to pursue a target) so slamming into the ground where everybody is long gone or u getting DFA canceled and remain in place= what`s the point of your idea again?

If you get CC'd, nothing happens. if you get Intterupted you will still leap. and having Baseline Jet Charge wouldnt be OP, if you give Tanks Harpoon. so **** about Jet Charge baseline being OP, it isnt...

On a different note your leap after DFA is exploitable considering you don`t need an enemy to trigger DFA anywhere you want making PT`s the easiest AC to collect datacrons for example.

Ok? the same could be said for the Operative and Sniper roll abilities now couldnt it? the Sorc pull can be exploited in DF to sneak an extra person into the gate challenge, point is, who cares? hell if you dont want that just make it so that you have to have a damage tick for the leap to enable. There's plenty of exploits in this game already that Bioware hasnt fixed.

If the devs do decide to make Jetcharge baseline it would only happen in a major patch like 3.0/4.0 etc because that`s the point in the game that every AC gets touched and improved in some way.

3.0 is supposed to be a December release and is supposed to be larger than the Makeb expantion AND include a new level cap of 65 so hold onto your hats for that.

Replies in Bold