Ok we clearly need a better naming policy here on SWTOR

RaithHarth

If they can't fix the naming system, then at least implement my nickname feature. Character naming is such a pain, in this game, and some of us actually have premeditated names we want to use for our characters. I'm not going to accept a jumble of letters, and I'm tired of butchering the spellings for the names I insist on.

Yalla: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Johnny: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Hans (Not Han): Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Darce: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Eitan: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Asenath: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Maro: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Ammon: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Jarlin: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Ranger (I know, it's not a normal name. But even this wasn't available.): Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Ece: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Lora: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Frost: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Page: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Mili: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Naresh: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Marie: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Cailin: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Matthew: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

George: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Navia: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Saar: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Pyotr: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

I know some of you people can't comprehend a game environment where everyone gets the character name they want, but it is possible, and I'm getting tired of not having it around.

Edited by Fevee
Amending

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they can't fix the naming system, then at least implement my nickname feature. Character naming is such a pain, in this game, and some of us actually have premeditated names we want to use for our characters. I'm not going to accept a jumble of letters, and I'm tired of butchering the spellings for the names I insist on.

Yalla: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Johnny: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Hans (Not Han): Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Darce: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Eitan: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Asenath: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Maro: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Ammon: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Jarlin: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Ranger (I know, it's not a normal name. But even this wasn't available.): Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Ece: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Lora: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Frost: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Page: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Mili: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Naresh: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Marie: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Cailin: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Matthew: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

George: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

Navia: Taken/Unavailable, please choose another.

I know some of you people can't comprehend a game environment where everyone gets the character name they want, but it is possible, and I'm getting tired of not having it around.

Game is three years old, and the names you want are extremely common in fiction, or the real world.

The way mail and parts of Chat works, is by using the name. If you have a nickname, and we don't know it is your character's nickname, but wanted to whisper you (for whatever reason), we would wind up communicating with someone not you.

At this point, the best you can hope for now, is the occasional name purge that *might* free up the name you want. And some NPC might be using the name you want as well. It has happened.

If you design someone who needs that name, make a different character with a different name.

As far as I have read, no MMO has ever changed something as fundamental as the name system three years after launch.

<snip>List of extremely common names.

You're not serious... right? "George"... really?

Yes, I'm sure it's possible but it's not practical in any sense. If character names aren't unique, so many systems go to pieces and stop working (mail, whisper etc). Also, why would you even want to be one of the hundreds or thousands of people naming their character "George"?

"I'm not going to accept a jumble of letters, and I'm tired of butchering the spellings for the names I insist on." Then learn to make unique names, it's really not that hard. Take some imagination, add a bit of basic linguistic understanding, and have some persistence. Try making loads of names, keep refining the process, and you might just find that there's a huge amount of possibilities out there.

Choosing a simple, bright and unique name is a most hard part of character creation. Several millions names are in use already, so it may be very time-consuming process to invent something new. SWTOR attempts to help us somehow, offering the name generator, but unfortunately, most of the names are far from traditional, hard to remember and pronounce, and even then the generator often offers the names which are already in use. But we cannot realise this until pressing the button "Play" on the character creation screen.

My suggestions:

• Add to the interface of 5th screen the button [ Check name ] near the input field. This would allow us to check many names without real creation of new character, add good names to "short list" and then choose the best.
  • Check any generated name before offering it in this interface.

Edited by Cassianus

Choosing a simple, bright and unique name is a most hard part of character creation. Several millions names are in use already, so it may be very time-consuming process to invent something new. SWTOR attempts to help us somehow, offering the name generator, but unfortunately, most of the names are far from traditional, hard to remember and pronounce, and even then the generator often offers the names which are already in use. But we cannot realise this until pressing the button "Play" on the character creation screen.

My suggestions:

• Add to the interface of 5th screen the button [ Check name ] near the input field. This would allow us to check many names without real creation of new character, add good names to "short list" and then choose the best.
  • Check any generated name before offering it in this interface.

While we don't have the "check name" exactly as you described it, we do have the capability to check names before we create our finished character. Create a random character and try names until you find one you like. Then you can delete that random character and create your finished character.

It's a work around, I know, but it works.

Game is three years old, and the names you want are extremely common in fiction, or the real world.

If they had a better naming system, it wouldn't matter how old the game is. Oh, and tell me how many Yallas you've heard of. Do you even know how I pronounce it? Asenath, Saar, Ece, Darce, where else have you possibly heard of characters with those names?

Besides, it doesn't matter if it's common or not; there are more than one of any given name in the world. If I just throw Lucy at you, sure, you won't know who I'm talking about. But, fiction, and even the real world, have their own version of Legacy names. Thus, if I specify Lucy Ricardo, or Lucy Heartfilia, or Lucy Pevensie, you might have a better chance of knowing who I'm talking about. Or, are you telling me who can't tell the difference between those Lucys? Or, if it were up to you, only one of them can have the name Lucy, and the other two can just get over it and rename themselves?

If anything, the legacy names should be the exclusive ones, and character names unrestricted.

The way mail and parts of Chat works, is by using the name. If you have a nickname, and we don't know it is your character's nickname, but wanted to whisper you (for whatever reason), we would wind up communicating with someone not you.

This problem is not as prevalent as you would like to believe. For one, if you're trying to reach your friend, John Doe, then you should have him in the guild or at least friended. That way, you know your message is reaching the proper John Doe. However, I was intending that nicknames not completely override the character's name; the official name is still accessible. For example, a player can choose to set the nickname from the titles: <Character name> "<Nickname>" <Legacy Name>. That way, their name is still perfectly visible and not a mystery. (Jj'efry "Two-guns" McDraw.)

Or, nicknames can supersede the character's name: <Nickname> <Legacy name>. Now Jj'efry is just Two-guns McDraw. But, Inspect Player can show you what the character's real name is. (Two-Guns McDraw (Jj'efry))

If you're going to complain that the chatlog will show a million Two-guns, and that they won't know which one you're talking to, you can easily right click the Two-guns who said what you're trying to respond to, and whisper him directly.

At this point, the best you can hope for now, is the occasional name purge that *might* free up the name you want. And some NPC might be using the name you want as well. It has happened.

You may not now nor may you ever have the name you want, 'cause we named a stupid NPC with that name first, ha.

... Please choose another.

Instead, how about the developers revamp the naming system so we can actually have the names we want?

As far as I have read, no MMO has ever changed something as fundamental as the name system three years after launch.

Just like no MMO is going to change something as fundamental as the skill tree system, either?

You're not serious... right? "George"... really?

I don't need your approval, nor do I need to explain myself to you. Explaining myself, anyways, that happens to be one of the oldest characters I designed, and wouldn't mind recreating a SWTOR version of him. Or does sentimental value hold no value for you?

Yes, I'm sure it's possible but it's not practical in any sense. If character names aren't unique, so many systems go to pieces and stop working (mail, whisper etc). Also, why would you even want to be one of the hundreds or thousands of people naming their character "George"?

Cryptic's Star Trek: Online. They figured out how to let players have the names they want, and the problems you're trying to point out aren't a problem. If you think George is a stupid name, don't use it. I have not seen one George in this game or in STO, and I've been playing them both for years; and STO lets players have the names they actually want.

Then learn to make unique names, it's really not that hard. Take some imagination, add a bit of basic linguistic understanding, and have some persistence. Try making loads of names, keep refining the process, and you might just find that there's a huge amount of possibilities out there.

Right, Jedi Master Figgledigglestein, at your service. Hello, Cypher Agent Yoppadonta, we have a new mission for you. Fear me, I am Darth Klemtinshonichi.

Or, would you prefer character names like NoBaconForYou, BangYoureDead, and FattyMcChubbers? Unique names is one thing, but there's only so many of them to go around before we start getting into ridiculous gibberish. Approximately only 3 out of 40 of my characters on this game have the names and in the spelling I actually want. Why is it such a crime to want more characters names the way they should be names?

If they had a better naming system, it wouldn't matter how old the game is. Oh, and tell me how many Yallas you've heard of. Do you even know how I pronounce it? Asenath, Saar, Ece, Darce, where else have you possibly heard of characters with those names?

Okay, some of your names weren't as common, so I should not have implied that they all were common.

Besides, it doesn't matter if it's common or not; there are more than one of any given name in the world. If I just throw Lucy at you, sure, you won't know who I'm talking about. But, fiction, and even the real world, have their own version of Legacy names. Thus, if I specify Lucy Ricardo, or Lucy Heartfilia, or Lucy Pevensie, you might have a better chance of knowing who I'm talking about. Or, are you telling me who can't tell the difference between those Lucys? Or, if it were up to you, only one of them can have the name Lucy, and the other two can just get over it and rename themselves?

If anything, the legacy names should be the exclusive ones, and character names unrestricted.

Using one of my alts for an example, I have an SI not related to my main (Legacy Name Alei), so I use "Akaan'ad-Dhai" and use the hyphen to indicate her character family name, and then not use the Legacy name. We can use hyphens. Then you can have "Lucy-heartfila". " George-Lucas".

This problem is not as prevalent as you would like to believe. For one, if you're trying to reach your friend, John Doe, then you should have him in the guild or at least friended. That way, you know your message is reaching the proper John Doe. However, I was intending that nicknames not completely override the character's name; the official name is still accessible. For example, a player can choose to set the nickname from the titles: <Character name> "<Nickname>" <Legacy Name>. That way, their name is still perfectly visible and not a mystery. (Jj'efry "Two-guns" McDraw.)

Because everyone must guild, and must not have friends outside of their guild?

Your alternative method with nicknames also requires a heavy recoding of the title system, and a check to make sure it passes the ToS, and all that fun stuff.

Or, nicknames can supersede the character's name: <Nickname> <Legacy name>. Now Jj'efry is just Two-guns McDraw. But, Inspect Player can show you what the character's real name is. (Two-Guns McDraw (Jj'efry))

If you're going to complain that the chatlog will show a million Two-guns, and that they won't know which one you're talking to, you can easily right click the Two-guns who said what you're trying to respond to, and whisper him directly.

You may not now nor may you ever have the name you want, 'cause we named a stupid NPC with that name first, ha.

Instead, how about the developers revamp the naming system so we can actually have the names we want?

Just like no MMO is going to change something as fundamental as the skill tree system, either?

SWTOR isn't the first to revamp the skill tree system so drastically. I never claimed to be a programmer, so I do not have an actual idea as to how such a change as changing the whole name system would be, but I understand that when they changed Legacy name uniqueness, it broke a ton of other parts of the programming anbrokek many many many patches to fix most of them. Whatever they were, my memory of my reading isn't too clear on what broke.

The only reason why I think the skill trees is getting changed so much is they finally isolated the programming for them enough to cut, replace and patch in. After almost two years after the originals were moved to other projects, or whatever happened.

I don't need your approval, nor do I need to explain myself to you. Explaining myself, anyways, that happens to be one of the oldest characters I designed, and wouldn't mind recreating a SWTOR version of him. Or does sentimental value hold no value for you?

Sentiment is fine. I have my beloved Alycia that I can't play in the game because someone else has that name. I made her back in middle school, playing TTRPGs with my friends at lunch. Or when we were writing stories, Alycia was my default work in progress name. She has changed since then, and I love her still.

Sentiment aside, someone else got the name first, so I have Alycia as an NPC type person who shows up when I RP. Right now she's my Agent's contact with Intelligence, because my Agent is not Cipher Nine in RP sessions.

Cryptic's Star Trek: Online. They figured out how to let players have the names they want, and the problems you're trying to point out aren't a problem. If you think George is a stupid name, don't use it. I have not seen one George in this game or in STO, and I've been playing them both for years; and STO lets players have the names they actually want.

Right, Jedi Master Figgledigglestein, at your service. Hello, Cypher Agent Yoppadonta, we have a new mission for you. Fear me, I am Darth Klemtinshonichi.

Or, would you prefer character names like NoBaconForYou, BangYoureDead, and FattyMcChubbers? Unique names is one thing, but there's only so many of them to go around before we start getting into ridiculous gibberish. Approximately only 3 out of 40 of my characters on this game have the names and in the spelling I actually want. Why is it such a crime to want more characters names the way they should be names?

Mostly responded to the points addressed to my post, and a few that were not, in lime green. Now to add on to the last point.

My list of names the way I want them and pronunciations:

Colein "Call-en"

Lyraine "Ly-ray-n"

One-Four "Won-For"

Sophria "So-free-uh"

Pixil "Picks-ill"

Ver'dha (yes, I always had an apostrophe there) "Ver-(breath)-d-ha"

Miri'Esier (Twi'lek names have ' in them, she has always been Twi'lek. Purple, not blue, but I have the name) "Mee-ree-Ee-sigh-er"

Jarote "Ja-row-t"

Emrado (Very old character of mine. I have him too.) "Em-ra-do"

Aish (Short version of a name I had to change around when I rolled on a different server, but I wanted a way to tell the two versions of her apart) "Ai-sh"

Tyree (Not as old as Alycia, but also older name in my list) "Tyree"

Alycia (as said up in my post) "Al-y-see-ah"

Nau'ur (my blind Jedi who dances between Light and Dark.) "Nah-u-(breath)u-r"

I have several common-based names that are taken as well, but I much prefer the ones I have. I also have several that I did need to shift and change from initial spelling, but I like those ones now even more.

I do admit the ones I have indicated a breath in are less than phonetic, but the rest are fairly easy to guess pronunciations for.

Comments in red.

I didn't mean that George is a bad name, but it's one of the most common names in the world (also, there's this guy, last name Lucas, you might have heard of him). Nobody should expect to be able to call their character Joe or James in an MMO unless they're playing on day 1. Also, these are as bad as the ones you list at the end IMO, because they're earthly IRL names and not Star Wars names. Doesn't lore matter to you RP'ers?

Well, they probably did that from the beginning. If not, I'm guessing the foundation for it was easily made, programming-wise. Either way, the way THIS game works makes it pretty hard (as far as my understanding goes) so comparing it to other games is pointless.

Now you're just being ignorant. Look in my sig for some examples. Like I said, it might take a few tries, but the process is easy once you start doing it. But I guess you just want your George and you'll keep moaning about a working system being broken until you get it, right?

What I really don't get is this NEED to have names you've used before in other games (which is really the only reason you made this thread, right?). This is a completely different game, a different universe altogether. It doesn't make sense to have some guy from Dragon Age or whatever pop up in Star Wars.

Putting your responses in the initial quote is just lazy, and makes it even harder to quote; don't do it.

Now, you not only want BW to cater to your desire to have the exact name and spelling you want, in addition to all the other demands that you have, you also want to control how others post and respond?

The naming system does not need to be changed. There are better ways to spend development dollars than ensuring that a player can have the exact name and spelling that they want because that player is unwilling to think of another name.

I'm sure that you will threaten to report me because I had the audacity not to blindly agree with your demands.

Now, you not only want BW to cater to your desire to have the exact name and spelling you want, in addition to all the other demands that you have, you also want to control how others post and respond?

So you're telling me it's not lazy? Show some effort with your responses, don't just dump the extra work to respond on your opponent. Show some courtesy, for once.

that player is unwilling to think of another name.

Not all of us design our characters in the spur-of-the-moment design; this is concept you can't seem to comprehend. I've stated this over and over and over and over again, but you just can't seem to catch on. Maybe you're not one of the creative types, but some of us have premeditated designs that we want to use.

Let me spell it out for you: A premeditated design means the character's face has already been planned out. It means the character's style has already been planned out. It means the character's weapon(s) have already been planned out. It means the character's attitude has already been planned out. It means the character's name has already been planed out. Can you not comprehend this?

Let's say George Lucas, himself, wanted to sign up for and play SWTOR right now. And, he wants to use his premeditated designs. (Luke, Leia, Han, Ben, Windu, Jango, and so on.) He can design the faces and put them to the most appropriate classes, but he can't use those names because someone else is already using them; maybe even NPCs. If he tries to mention that, you people will speak up, saying something along the lines of "Just rename your characters, you stubborn old goat, just because you can't think up original names doesn't mean SWTOR has to modify their naming system to suit you."

I'm sure that you will threaten to report me because I had the audacity not to blindly agree with your demands.

You'll never get it through your thick skull, will you? It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, it's about harassment, it's about your antagonistic attitude.. For example, your statement right there is an antagonistic sentence, hoping to get me to blow up, in which you probably hope to report and have me banned because of my history of standing up for what I believe in.

Comments in there somewhere, good luck sorting through all of it:

I didn't mean that George is a bad name, but it's one of the most common names in the world (also, there's this guy, last name Lucas, you might have heard of him). Nobody should expect to be able to call their character Joe or James in an MMO unless they're playing on day 1. Also, these are as bad as the ones you list at the end IMO, because they're earthly IRL names and not Star Wars names. Doesn't lore matter to you RP'ers?

We already have lore-breaking RP names, anyways, what does a few human names matter?

Well, they probably did that from the beginning. If not, I'm guessing the foundation for it was easily made, programming-wise. Either way, the way THIS game works makes it pretty hard (as far as my understanding goes) so comparing it to other games is pointless.

Now you're just being ignorant. Look in my sig for some examples. Like I said, it might take a few tries, but the process is easy once you start doing it. But I guess you just want your George and you'll keep moaning about a working system being broken until you get it, right?

I want a fair system, and so do others.

What I really don't get is this NEED to have names you've used before in other games (which is really the only reason you made this thread, right?). This is a completely different game, a different universe altogether. It doesn't make sense to have some guy from Dragon Age or whatever pop up in Star Wars.

You're not the creative type, either. You only ever play games, you don't create your own content, you don't write stories, you don't draw pictures, you don't design your own original characters, you don't draw webcomics; you don't create. Some of us do, and I'm not talking about previous games, you think I'm trying to transpose a spontaneously-created Dragon Age game into Star Wars, you are wrong.

Now, is it too much to ask to have some effort-spent replies on this thread? If you're not willing to put in the effort, keep your two cents to yourself.

You're not the creative type, either.

Lol. Clearly I'm more creative than you if you can't even come up with unique names.

My original point still applies. Life isn't fair, you can't always get what you want. Most MMO's operate in the same way this does regarding names, and if you can't deal with it by now - tough break. Very slim chances of it changing, so you're probably better of sticking to the few games that operate the way you like.

PS. I'm killing Independent-George :D (cookies for those who get the reference)

Edited by MagikFingerz

So you're telling me it's not lazy? Show some effort with your responses, don't just dump the extra work to respond on your opponent. Show some courtesy, for once.

I'm sorry. I must have missed the memo that advised every poster that they must adhere to the "Fevee rules of forum posting".

It may not be the way you would prefer someone to respond, but posting the in the manner is which that poster did sometimes helps to make it easier to read the response.

Not all of us design our characters in the spur-of-the-moment design; this is concept you can't seem to comprehend. I've stated this over and over and over and over again, but you just can't seem to catch on. Maybe you're not one of the creative types, but some of us have premeditated designs that we want to use.

Let me spell it out for you: A premeditated design means the character's face has already been planned out. It means the character's style has already been planned out. It means the character's weapon(s) have already been planned out. It means the character's attitude has already been planned out. It means the character's name has already been planed out. Can you not comprehend this?

Let's say George Lucas, himself, wanted to sign up for and play SWTOR right now. And, he wants to use his premeditated designs. (Luke, Leia, Han, Ben, Windu, Jango, and so on.) He can design the faces and put them to the most appropriate classes, but he can't use those names because someone else is already using them; maybe even NPCs. If he tries to mention that, you people will speak up, saying something along the lines of "Just rename your characters, you stubborn old goat, just because you can't think up original names doesn't mean SWTOR has to modify their naming system to suit you."

I am fully aware of premeditation. I myself have had to change my "premeditated name" on more than one occasion.

Not everyone is so inflexible that they would demand that the devs change the entire naming system of a game simply so they can have the exact name and spelling they want.

You'll never get it through your thick skull, will you? It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, it's about harassment, it's about your antagonistic attitude.. For example, your statement right there is an antagonistic sentence, hoping to get me to blow up, in which you probably hope to report and have me banned because of my history of standing up for what I believe in.

Anyone can do a forum search and see that you have threatened to report multiple people who do not blindly agree with you, and choose to stand up for that in which they believe.

Putting your responses in the initial quote, in my opinion, is just lazy, and makes it even harder to quote; don't do it , please.

Fixed it for you.

Anyway, I just checked the forum rules, and nothing there says I can't reply in quotes.

Why I did so? Because I was on the can, with my phone, that is very annoying to sit and type

response
with without making my thumbs want to commit suicide.. And when I got back to my computer, I went and played the game with my premeditated designed characters that I have had to modify.

Because we have purple Twi'lek skin options, and a not stupid looking Cathar Mohawk, and I can have one of my oldest and most beloved designed characters finally have her under bite back.

And that's not going into the ones I have had to find new names for.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with people having the same name. There are a lot of Johns, Davids, Amys, Kellys, Marias and Stephanies in the world.

Personally, I think the "unique" name should be the legacy name. Regardless of the character's first name, all of our characters share the same legacy name on the account. <character name>@<legacy name>

If the word you're trying to use for a name can be found on wikipedia, then don't be surprised that it's unavailable.

Don't blame the naming system. The fault is in you.

I wouldn't have to blame the naming system if it wasn't such an archaic system.

I'm sorry. I must have missed the memo that advised every poster that they must adhere to the "Fevee rules of forum posting".

It may not be the way you would prefer someone to respond, but posting the in the manner is which that poster did sometimes helps to make it easier to read the response.

Surprise surprise, you ducked the question.

I am fully aware of premeditation. I myself have had to change my "premeditated name" on more than one occasion.

Not everyone is so inflexible that they would demand that the devs change the entire naming system of a game simply so they can have the exact name and spelling they want.

Guess you just don't care about your character designs as much as I care about mine. How about you go ask George Lucas to change the names of his original characters. After all, Luke, Han, Ben. Those sound like quite common names, and I'm sure they've been used before. After all, it's only been 37 years, I'm pretty sure people can just abandon the names they've come to accept over all this time. Passion, sentimentality, who cares; the names have been taken and I'll just pick new ones on a whim.

Anyone can do a forum search and see that you have threatened to report multiple people who do not blindly agree with you, and choose to stand up for that in which they believe.

Anyone can do the same forum search and see it's not about agreement/disagreement. I'm tired of repeating this to you, but I'm going to spell it out one more time. Now read carefully, read slowly, and try to understand: It is not about agreeing or disagreeing, it is about harassment and antagonism. (Antagonism is when someone says mean things in order to make the other person angry.) It is the antagonism I report, as it is solely an attempt to be problematic; and not contribute to the actual discussion.

Lol. Clearly I'm more creative than you if you can't even come up with unique names.

Okay, while Ratajack is grilling Lucas, you go dig up Roddenberry and tell him he's uncreative. James? Leonard? Pavel? Clearly uncreative names. It's only been 48 years, they should make up their own names so that the show may finally be creative. People will accept the change without a hitch.

Fixed it for you.

Yea, I'll bet you a million credits that saying please isn't going to make an ounce of difference when it comes to you stone-hearted nay-sayers.

Anyway, I just checked the forum rules, and nothing there says I can't reply in quotes.

Maybe that's because they didn't consider that it had to be addressed, maybe it's just common sense to not reply in a quote; by virtue of the nature of a quote. (PS, a quote is supposed to be what you're responding to; what I said. A quote is not what you're currently saying.) Deny it all you want, it's just uncourteous and lazy.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with people having the same name. There are a lot of Johns, Davids, Amys, Kellys, Marias and Stephanies in the world.

Personally, I think the "unique" name should be the legacy name. Regardless of the character's first name, all of our characters share the same legacy name on the account. <character name>@<legacy name>

Can there please be more of you? You're on the right track.

The please part was me being snarky. The main part I was fixing was the one where you left out the "in my opinion". Now don't mind me, as I just skip the courtesy of quoting you.

Good job avoiding my point that was On Topic.

Are you saying that because we are willing to either not play as our desired-named characters, or willing to alter the name to play as them, that we do not love ours nearly as much as you? Because that's ********. You have no idea on just how much any of us love our characters, so do not *********** imply that we don't give a **** because we dare to alter their names or not play them. That, is rude and inconsiderate, far more than my post answering in the quote box.

And if George Lucas did come to play SWTOR, I fully expect him to not be able to play as Luke, Han, or Ben, even when he owned Star Wars. Why? Because it would break the ToS, and any Joe could claim to be GL, and it would save BW time just to say "Not allowed by ToS" rather than checking to verify the identity of GL being GL.

In movies and TV, every character has a unique name that no one else in that universe has, unless the plot requires it. In Star Trek, there is only one James T. Kirk. Only one Spock. Only one Jean-Luc Picard. Only one wait no, William Riker has a clone.. Only one Janeway. One T'Pol. One Jonathan Archer. Three Charles Tuckers, but they were all in the family line and only one ever showed up.

In Star Wars, there is one Luke, one Leia, one Han, one Boba. One. One. One.

That, is why I think the first of the old MMOs demanded unique names for all. In the universe of a story, be it Movie, Book, TV, Theater, or whatever, unless the plot or background requires a same-name, everyone has a name, no matter how common sounding, that belongs to them alone.

And before you say something about RL people having the same name and how I can't be the only one with my name and spelling, tell that to the personalized pens and such companies because my real name does not have a "ey" it has a perfectly phonetic "ee". Not that they'll listen to one little person with a funny spelled, otherwise common name.

Sorry you can't have the name you want. If you can not live with the thought of your character running without the exact name you want, don't roll him/her, as lame, boring, and sad as that sounds to you.

Good lord. I've had problems with naming in the past and I have a very sentimental attachment to the name of my Jedi Sentinel and Sith Marauder. They're names I use in any game I create a character in, pretty much (one's male and one is female) and while it sucked to not get the exact spelling I like it didn't take long for me to get a name for them. James and Christy. Both very common names and I fully expected them to be taken, and they were. So my Marauder became Jeymes and my Sentinel became Christee. Is that what I wanted to spell them as? No. It's not. But do I consider them butchered? No. In fact they feel more personal to me than other characters I've named those names because they're unique. It's the same name but it's distinct.

Beyond what they already do I don't think Bioware could change much about the naming system without completely redoing the entire thing, which would effect every account and every character in the game. It would have to be a completely different system. I'm sure one could be made, I don't deny that at all, but it'd be more than a quick patch and bam, you can have your names. It'd be an entirely new system for names and differentiating between characters that would take a lot more than a quick patch to implement.

So, yeah. It sucks to not get the name you like. But like others have mentioned, sometimes you can't get what you want. You can't expect Bioware to throw everything out the window and redo a huge system that effects so many things within the game (think of how many things use your character's unique name and then realize that pretty much all of it would have to be altered to accommodate a new system) just so you can have your particular spelling. Find a new spelling, "butcher" it as you put it. You're in the Star Wars universe, names can be spelled a bit weird. You're not gonna look too weird next to Empatojayos Brand or Tycho Celchu or Sev'rance Tann. Trust me.

I wouldn't have to blame the naming system if it wasn't such an archaic system.

You wouldn't feel you have to blame the naming system if you had an imagination and you weren't so stubborn and closed minded.

Just grow up and get over it.

How would you mail stuff to your friend if your friend's character name is John but there's also another John on same server? You want to send stuff to your friend not to this random person who has the same character name.

No and no

How would you mail stuff to your friend if your friend's character name is John but there's also another John on same server? You want to send stuff to your friend not to this random person who has the same character name.

Thats why I said Legacy should be unique... John@legacyname