Legacy Unlock: Skip Chapters

The starting planets and the Fleets are over-populated and over-crowded, while the rest of the planets are nearly deserted. I think there needs to be a system that at a certain Legacy Level/Character completion level allows one to start the character story from Chapter 1, Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 with XP boost to the starting level of the Chapter starting planet.

For example, completing 2 characters per faction allows the character to skip Prologue. Completing 3 characters per faction allows to skip Chapter 1; completing all 4 classes allows to skip Chapter 2. Or, maybe, you have to play Homeworld, but then can skip the Capital + Whatever Chapter if you unlock it on that character through Legacy. Or, maybe certain planets unlocked as skipped individually?

I would love to play Balmorra with a Consular again. But the thought of Courscant + Taris with Qyzen makes me abandon that idea for the time being.

You can do the starter planet in an evening with legacy buffs, grouping up, XP boosts and rested XP at max. There's always WZ / GSF / SPACE COMBAT ON RAILS to keep you off planet. - Just do class quests until it's impossible then do something else to gain a level or two. You'll be up to Coruscant/ Dromund Kass /Narr Shadaar in no time.

- If you had Treek or HK unlocked, you'd not need Qyzen. If you go for different advanced class, change Light/dark side and change gender it opens up a bit more variety on a story you've already done. Using a different main companion helps change things a bit too.

good luck

What do you mean, Play2Win? Why not allow someone who has already seen the class story to develop a character without the low-level repeatability? The higher level planets are by far more interesting, but unpopulated. I hardly see anyone there. Haven't been able to find anyone to do Heroic 2+ even.

Wouldn't it be nice to not have to repair valves on Coruscant again and just enjoy the planets you like? And, there is Pub Taris, the worst thing ever. I am plenty happy to repeat Gender and Alignment where it is appealing, I enjoy that! And I would hate Treek and HK more than Qyzen if that's even possible - why should I pay money to purchase an annoying companion??? Sure, if it was a super-cool companion that had plenty of dialogue and was a male Nautolan or Togruta, I will pay up! but Treek? HK?

I don't really want to do anything that involves PvP, sorry :( I just suck (particularly with a Consular - Achievements for dying a lot are not appealing).

Edited by DomiSotto

What do you mean, Play2Win? Why not allow someone who has already seen the class story to develop a character without the low-level repeatability? The higher level planets are by far more interesting, but unpopulated. I hardly see anyone there. Haven't been able to find anyone to do Heroic 2+ even.

Wouldn't it be nice to not have to repair valves on Coruscant again and just enjoy the planets you like? And, there is Pub Taris, the worst thing ever. I am plenty happy to repeat Gender and Alignment where it is appealing, I enjoy that! And I would hate Treek and HK more than Qyzen if that's even possible - why should I pay money to purchase an annoying companion??? Sure, if it was a super-cool companion that had plenty of dialogue and was a male Nautolan or Togruta, I will pay up! but Treek? HK?

I don't really want to do anything that involves PvP, sorry :( I just suck (particularly with a Consular - Achievements for dying a lot are not appealing).

No it would not be nice because those areas are cruical for new players. Their removal for any reasons is lazy as you can get through it in a matter of maybe an hour.

This is pay2win and will NEVER happen

what is your problem with pay to win? give me everything you hate about it, and i will voice my opinion in return.

my concept is that, if someone buys CC with real money, they must have a use for it. there is nothing wrong with having a practical use for the CM. so long as someone can buy the same thing with blood, sweat, and tears instead of giving the money needed to keep swtor alive, then i consider that just fine. nothing wrong with using real money to bypass work, and that is all there is to it: bypassing work.

anyone can get anything in this game without money if it means torturing themselves to go on the GTN or buy a legacy perk. as of right now in this game, the following things are present:

there are CM color crystals usable at level 10 that are equivalent to very low-level end-game mods.

there are adaptives with mods preset into them available in the CM.

there are legacy perks that can give up to a 30% XP bonus available with CC.

fleet req. can be converted from the standard kind with CC in GSF.

subs get many different benefits F2P and preferreds lack.

you must buy the digital expansion to level up from 50 to 55.

are any of these P2P? the point is, as long as everyone can acquire the same amount of power in the end, methods not it consideration, it is not pay 2 win. all of those things i listed, minus the legacy perks, require

the use of CC from someone.

it is fair, however,

because crystals of the same power can be found ingame.

fleet req. is earnable in small amounts just by playing GSF.

there are orange quality gear and mods findable ingame.

and lastly, and most importantly, anyone can buy RotHC permanently.

subs with double health, that's pay to win.

subs with double damage, that's pay to win.

those things are pay to win because that power can only be obtained by paying money regularly to BW. even if it was permanent, they require the spending of money, and only money will do. then again, so long as anyone can spend money to get it forever, it is fine. anyone can buy account-wide unlocks permanently with just CC, and that is fine.

i would love to see packets of XP instead of 25% boosts findable in the CM. a minor gives 750 xp per level the player is, so a level 10 player would get 7500 xp from a minor and a major gives 1500.

Edited by CyberneticDucks

No it would not be nice because those areas are cruical for new players. Their removal for any reasons is lazy as you can get through it in a matter of maybe an hour.

maybe, if you have a level 20 smuggler, you could spend 1000 CC per level to get another level 20 smuggler, but you must level that basic class to that level before you can do that.

55,000 CC to get 1-55, and you must already have a 55er of that basic class, sounds fair to me.

55,000 CC = 10 5500 $40.00 CC packages, so $400.00 :D

if you must level an inquisitor to 32 to power level another to 32 it would lock new players into doing the class. also, since it takes longer to level up the higher you level, (level 1 - 2 just needs killing about 6 to 8 NPCs) players would be encouraged to work on the toon before leveling it up with a costly 1000 CC.

as well as this, since it takes 1000 CC to go from 45 to 46, regardless if the player is already almost to 46, they would be encouraged to finish a couple dailies instead of throwing out $10 worth of CC. (bulk bonuses not regarded)

Edited by CyberneticDucks

Alternatively you could allow those with a 55 of a class and completed the storyline to have a boost which puts characters of the same archetype to the max level of the planet they're leaving when they board their ship at the end of the class mission. This would just cut out the monotonous grind of side quests or endless FPs/WZs.

But the unlock I suggested in my post will only work if you have already leveled a Class to the end of the particular planet so you have already played that area. I don't understand your argument? My point is to avoid repeating content rather than skipping content.

EDIT: But I couldn't resist and started another Consular on a new server. Will see if she faces the sheer boredom of Corsuscant and Taris. If I can only make it to Nar Shaddaa...

Edited by DomiSotto

Oh man you all would have loathed launch era Everquest.... grind decaying skeletons, grind shadow wolves, grind fire beetles, oh nos a zombie train to EC tunnel! grind help that mummy gave me rabies I'm diseased and gonna die! grind camp check orc camp one!.... with a amusing sprinkling of "Bring me 10 snake fangs and 10 fire beetle eyes so my brothers and I will like you a little better. :D

You are hungry!

You are thirsty!

You are out of food and drink!

:p

Edited by XiamaraSimi

While I have no real issue with the idea, I don't think it can happen. The devs have stated repeated how your starship is to tied into story pointed to allow it to be swapped out for a different ship, and likewise is used as the main hardship in allowing class changes or faction change without resetting all of story along the way. With this in mind I have every reason to believe just trying to do what you wish would make the programming implode.

Perhaps do it in a simpler fashion in that case. Legacy purchase of level - would give you an Xp item which contained enough Xp to get you from level 16 (about the starship) to level 35 (about the end of chapter 1). Then you could offer the same 35-42 and 42-50. Then people still play the story, the ship doesn't break and those who don't want to grind don't have to. Edited by ChroniKill

Perhaps do it in a simpler fashion in that case. Legacy purchase of level - would give you an Xp item which contained enough Xp to get you from level 16 (about the starship) to level 35 (about the end of chapter 1). Then you could offer the same 35-42 and 42-50. Then people still play the story, the ship doesn't break and those who don't want to grind don't have to.

This is probably the most feasible, your not actually "skipping" story, your just advancing your level enough to breeze through the class quest. But, only available if you have already completed the entire storyline already on another char.

Otherwise your basically asking to pay to have a high level character for no effort/work.

Oh of course. You'd have to make the requirements high - legacy 50 and already have the legacy ability for that class after finishing chapter 3 but it would be easy to program those limits (I expect). You'd also need it to be expensive. Something like 1500 cartel coins or 10mph credits per boost (so getting to 50 would be 4500 Cc or 30 mil), else you could get a lot of 50s of the same class very quickly to pad credits. Further people would still need to level those last 5 levels to 55 to take part in proper endgame, meaning we won't get hideously undergeared 55s suddenly appearing in operations.

Doing it this way would have little difference to grinding KDY to a high level then blitzing the class quests (as I do now).

Edited by ChroniKill

Ah, well. If it is not doable, it is not doable. Funnily enough, I love all the starting planets, it's the Coruscant+Taris on the Pub side that I don't like. I only did Taris twice so far, and about to start a few more runs. Oh, well, that's what Gen Chat is for. :p Funnily enough, no matter what planet I am on, I keep seeing the "Ye gods, I hate this planet!" Sometimes I wonder...

I do love most of the planets though. Pub Taris and Imp Balmorra are the ones I dislike the most. Taris because it is so convoluted, has too much Revan Fanboy staff, and becvause it is soooo loooong. And Balmorra - because I can't take killing the Resistance. Seeing 3 out of 4 Pub girls have close and personal relationship with the Resistance, and the people of Balmorra are the most appealing environmental set in the game to me, I just hate, hate, hate Imp Balmorra.

Ah, well. If it is not doable, it is not doable. Funnily enough, I love all the starting planets, it's the Coruscant+Taris on the Pub side that I don't like. I only did Taris twice so far, and about to start a few more runs. Oh, well, that's what Gen Chat is for. :p Funnily enough, no matter what planet I am on, I keep seeing the "Ye gods, I hate this planet!" Sometimes I wonder...

It probably would easily be doable, that is I think not the point. but If it means skipping content I would be set dead against it simply because it gives an unfair advantage over those who haven't done even one story line if I can start a character at level X where they would still have to grind from start.

There's also another reason why I am not thrilled by the idea...the argument that it is boring to have to start from the beginning for the Nth time may be true after a while, but if there's even the slightest possible way of skipping say 10 levels, next thing you know there's someone that says, "boring as hell to go from 10 to 20, gimme a level skip item in CM to go to level 20" and pretty soon you ended up in a situation where folks say "what? leveling up to 55-60? Gimme an Item on CM to skip entire game" which ultimately translates into

"SWTOR? isn't that the game where you simply buy a level 60 char and not do a thing? No thanks, way too boring

Sounds far fetched? nah...once they start with such things there's no stopping it, it would erode the whole drive to play for a lot of people I fear

And yes, every planet you go to you get to read the same thing...guess what...I also often enough read the opposite.

Edited by LeJarC