The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

what is a rated gear?

Long story short, found a cool looking armor on gtn that requires a certain amount of valor in order to be equipped to it. Also found that there was one that is rated, both armor are exactly the same, except the rated one doesn't require any valor. So what makes the rated one different from the rest of the unrated gear? Also can i use that rated gear for pve instead or is it best that i use it for pvp?

Long story short, found a cool looking armor on gtn that requires a certain amount of valor in order to be equipped to it. Also found that there was one that is rated, both armor are exactly the same, except the rated one doesn't require any valor. So what makes the rated one different from the rest of the unrated gear? Also can i use that rated gear for pve instead or is it best that i use it for pvp?

It doesn't matter what you use it for. It's cosmetic.

It's the same model as the other PvP gear from that season, except that it has a different color scheme(reskin). If it's orange, you can use it for PvP or PvE.

Rated gear required certain Valor rank, which u advance by playing PvP where Valor is given as a reward after each warzone. Also Rated versions might refer to the first season of ranked 8v8 warzones back in the 1.4 patch days