Sage Lightsaber Useless??

Orcjedi

Ok.. this is frustrating.. you have ur sage he holds his saber so cool.. then he doesnt have any saber skills.. it really angers me.. Bioware could have more imagination.. Knight/Jugg have the saber throw.. wich they use the force to control the saber.. so why bioware didnt give sage something like that? Even more cooler and powerfull since consular/inquisitors fight moe with their force powers.. i have in my mind like 3 saber skills through force manipulation that they could give to consu/inqui.. one is even melee.. come on Bioware i know you can do better.

That's exactly one of the questions that went into the Sage Class Representative Questions.

However, they buffed the damage of the main lightsabre attack in the recent past a tiny bit ... Don't remember anymore how this attack was called ... I think it's "thrash" for the Sorc ?

Edit : It's here : http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/2.5/galactic-starfighter-early-access

It's called "Double Strike".

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

That's exactly one of the questions that went into the Sage Class Representative Questions.

However, they buffed the damage of the main lightsabre attack in the recent past a tiny bit ... Don't remember anymore how this attack was called ... I think it's "thrash" for the Sorc ?

Edit : It's here : http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/2.5/galactic-starfighter-early-access

It's called "Double Strike".

I hope they read this.. and think about it.. :/

Always thought it cool to pick out Color Crystal for different classes and realized my Sage never showed his lol...at least you can save money on the Crystal...don't need to waste money on rare colors LOL.

Well, in PvP, when I was running out of defenses and someone forced me to face-tank him or her, I did use the lightsabre sometimes - sometimes even with success ! :D

But that was a few months ago ... In close combat, double strike is a bit better than it might seem - but unfortunaly THE WHOLE CLASS is desgned so that running away is the only viable form of damage mitigation

( plus bubble, of course ... ).

Therefore I'd rather advise to use double strike only in combination with a bubble and a healing over time (HOT) on the own character ... but that's just my personal opinion ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Well, obviously the thing to do as a Jedi Consular is to get the dual wielding feat maxed, Flurry maxed, and both levels of the lightsaber to hit feat. Stack that with stasis and mastered force speed and you can just run up and obliterate entire groups. Until you run into a boss, then a high demolitions skill and having lots of mines in your inventory works better.

No, wait, I'm in KOTOR mode. Wrong Bioware StarWars game.

There are at least two saber strikes that a sage can do. I think double strike maybe costs force, and the other one doesn't. If it's an easy battle I'll sometimes run up and smack things a few times with the saber, because sometimes you just really want to smack things with a lightsaber.

As a sage though, really I'd be just as happy if there were more opportunities to use it as a flashlight or to open doors/hatches/floors/walls/roofs etc. I'm supposed to deal with conflict through negotiation if possible, and if that doesn't work the way a sage wins a lightsaber fight is by using the force instead of a lightsaber. I'm just not getting that much utility out of my utility flashlight right now in SWTOR.

Well, obviously the thing to do as a Jedi Consular is to get the dual wielding feat maxed, Flurry maxed, and both levels of the lightsaber to hit feat. Stack that with stasis and mastered force speed and you can just run up and obliterate entire groups. Until you run into a boss, then a high demolitions skill and having lots of mines in your inventory works better.

No, wait, I'm in KOTOR mode. Wrong Bioware StarWars game.

I dunno, for bosses all I needed to add was Force Armor + Force Valor, and a good helping of Force Storm + Death Field

I've long suggested they replace Project/Shock with some kind of saber throw animation. (This was my answer to the old Project animation problem.) They can then just change the Shad/Sin one to boomerang. They need to do something. Having the most iconic weapon in modern history relegated to a stat stick is, well, dumb.

What's funny is how often I see Sages running around swinging away with their saber. Several months back, I was in a Ess HM and there was a guy who did nothing but Double Strike the whole way through. We all said something to him about it, and is reply was something to the effect: "I'll play how I want to. You just worry about yourselves." As it was, we were all fairly-well geared 55s, so he was just dead weight, anyway. We kept him around for the entertainment value. Still, I couldn't believe that someone had got that far playing that way.

And even the other night, I just started leveling a new Jugg and was running Cad and there was a Sorc doing the same thing. I didn't say anything because the other two people were guildies of his, but I would think they would've--or should've. And, of course, General Whats-his-face took way longer than necessary (like six or seven rockets) because there was such a DPS hole.

I've long suggested they replace Project/Shock with some kind of saber throw animation. (This was my answer to the old Project animation problem.) They can then just change the Shad/Sin one to boomerang. They need to do something. Having the most iconic weapon in modern history relegated to a stat stick is, well, dumb.

What's funny is how often I see Sages running around swinging away with their saber. Several months back, I was in a Ess HM and there was a guy who did nothing but Double Strike the whole way through. We all said something to him about it, and is reply was something to the effect: "I'll play how I want to. You just worry about yourselves." As it was, we were all fairly-well geared 55s, so he was just dead weight, anyway. We kept him around for the entertainment value. Still, I couldn't believe that someone had got that far playing that way.

And even the other night, I just started leveling a new Jugg and was running Cad and there was a Sorc doing the same thing. I didn't say anything because the other two people were guildies of his, but I would think they would've--or should've. And, of course, General Whats-his-face took way longer than necessary (like six or seven rockets) because there was such a DPS hole.

I blame the person (I'll be nice and not call them a blithering idiot) who thought it was a good idea to have a jedi class that doesn't use the lightsaber. I like this game a lot, but I'm honestly shocked sometimes at some of their design choices.

While I regret the sage not being saber based, not even the slightest, for the love of Yoda, no Saber throws on base Consular abilities.

I'm already forced to bear the sight of Clairvoyant Strike, I'd really like much to avoid having more of Double-bladed saber throws kind of crap.

I blame the person (I'll be nice and not call them a blithering idiot) who thought it was a good idea to have a jedi class that doesn't use the lightsaber. I like this game a lot, but I'm honestly shocked sometimes at some of their design choices.

Well put. Exactly my thoughts as well.

And when I read threads like this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=743753 I honestly come to the decision that the Sage / Sorc is the worst designed class. Everything feels so much ... unplayable at one point. The use of the "stat stick", for example. There's so much more skill to be put into this class to play it effectively - and that even at lower levels ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

We could rather easily make Willpower affect melee attacks for Sages/Sorcerers, but we have no intention to make Sages/Sorcerers use their lightsabers more than they currently do. In terms of lore, the particular attributes that make someone a “Jedi Sage” or a “Sith Sorcerer” vary over the vast timeline of the Star Wars galaxy. And while Yoda and Palpatine were definitely inspirations for these classes, they are never identified by those terms in the films, and it wasn’t our intention to make direct gameplay clones of those characters in any case. Our feeling was that there are many players who want the experience of playing as a Jedi/Sith who relies almost solely on their mastery of the Force to resolve the challenges they face, with the lightsaber serving only as a secondary weapon; these classes were designed with that experience in mind.

Anybody know who they are talking about?

Btw guys i made this post not to ask for a OP lightsaber skill for sages.. but a skill that at least u can feel u can put to use ur saber.. not for ornament.

I think many agree with you, and that's why there are posts around just asking to get the melee bonus from Willpower back, and nothing more... Just so that using the saber is not "always a bad choice" anymore.