Are you kidding with Skadge?

Karai

Never understood this hate for Skadge.... his twisted and harsh sense of humor (along with him being basically the SWTOR version of Wrex / Grunt from Mass Effect) is just awesome! Some of his unique lines and comments (my fave is how comments your dark side choice at the end of the class story on Voss) did make me rofl :D

Just like the way he joins your crew totally fits his character and just like someone like him does belong in a BH team. Unlike some (somewhat) boring ones, such as Rusk or Pierce or Iresso who for some unknown reason, upon successfully completing a mission with a jedi or sith and thus being more than eligible for getting promoted, they decide to give up everything, starting with their military career which just got a nice boost, and join you...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
Now that they have purchaseable companions that can fulfill tank/healer, and a questable DPS companion, maybe it's time to revisit companion deaths. There should be significant gating to go with it - something like "you must have Treek AND HK available on This Particular Toon in order to kill off X", and/or a costly Bounty Contract (millions of credits, or veeeery expensive in the CM). Even include a huge walkthrough or explanation that there ain't no comin' back. That way only those that are serious, and know the consequences, will do it, and you don't get "aw crap, I killed my healer/ crafting monkey!?!?" whining.

I also completely agree with OP. Skadge a.k.a. Mr. Pudding, really has no place tagging along. Almost all other companions have a believable reason, even ones like Ashara whose reasons make NO sense. But Skadge, the jerkwad who messes up a contract and bullies himself onto my ship, doesn't get a flamethrower to his pudding face???

I think the way to have gone about it would be to have your ship's robot be able to be customized to serve as a decent tank, healer, or DPS in a pinch. Not world-beating, but sufficient backup in any role.

That way the ship's droid could be used as a gameplay replacement for the players who kill off their core companions, without necessarily needing to purchase Treek or hunt down HK.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Skadge is one of my favorite companions on my BH, mainly because, up until Belsavis, the BH was a cool, calculated tech-genius, using gadgets and cunning to get around, and really only fought when he was at a bounty, the opponent wouldn't back down, or they REALLY annoyed him. But when he met Skadge, all of those cunning plans were interrupted with his brute methods of smashing whatever pissed him off, leaving the dialogue full of sighs, awkward silences, and the cliche, "well, that'll work..." I think the problem with Skadge is that he's meant to be a foil to the more calculated companions like Mako and Gault, but due to his late entry, it just feels like a wasted opportunity.

Another hated companion that I really don't get is Broonmark, and while I do agree, he is a little misplaced, I found the likes of Pierce and Andronikus to be much more pointless. Broonmark is a kindred spirit with the Wrath, both exiled from their "clans," only to return with powerful allies and exact their revenge. Pierce joined because... why? We already have a member of the imperial military, and Pierce didn't really do much to impress me personally. Andronikus also joined temporarily to hunt down his betrayer, and while I get that, it seems as though he joined Nox's crew because he had nothing better to do but to get drunk. I also just personally like Broonmark because the Talz are pretty awesome, and my Wrath is brothers with my Nox, so I have this mental scenario of Wrath walking up to Nox and Khem with Broonmark going, "Look who's got a monster now! And mine can turn invisible. Ha."

Skadge is one of my favorite companions on my BH, mainly because, up until Belsavis, the BH was a cool, calculated tech-genius, using gadgets and cunning to get around, and really only fought when he was at a bounty, the opponent wouldn't back down, or they REALLY annoyed him. But when he met Skadge, all of those cunning plans were interrupted with his brute methods of smashing whatever pissed him off, leaving the dialogue full of sighs, awkward silences, and the cliche, "well, that'll work..." I think the problem with Skadge is that he's meant to be a foil to the more calculated companions like Mako and Gault, but due to his late entry, it just feels like a wasted opportunity.

"

I haven't completed Skadge's content yet but so far I like him as well. He is a total scumbag, a moron, and a brutal thug, and obviously isn't likeable at all...but that's part of what makes him an entertaining character.

Also Skadge not being the sharpest tool in the shed occasionally makes for some entertaining dialogue, as there are options for your Bounty Hunter to mock him without him realizing it.

Unlike the rest of you, i completelly hate skadge... I send him off to do crew skills so hes always in exile...

Blitz and treek on the other hand... I wish they could join me as fellow Mandalorians! They are the conquerers of the universe! I cant imagine the devestation that would come forth if i could bring both of them on every mission i do! Planets would fall beneath our wrath! The english language does not have words that can express the utter mayhem that would ensue if both of them could go on the great hunt together!

I honestly dont see how both treek and blitz are not sith lords by the time i recruit them... Heck they should be admirals of their own armada of star destroyers!

Edited by DNGDangerous

That's because the people playing the beta were too stupid to be left with the option to kill companions. They killed them off then whined that the decision was final. I mean... WHAT THE **** PEOPLE?

And sweet god do I hate the Beta players for that.

Skadge, Quinn, Kaylio, and Xalek are the worse examples of this.

Sadly enough it is simply to late to change it.

Yeah there is no way in hell I would ever have let Skadge bully himself onto my ship (I would have shot him as soon as he took his first step towards the ship.

Not to mention some of the other dubious companion choices

1) Quinn he should have not left that space station (or ship I cant remember) alive

2) Kaylio I do like her but my agent would not trust her 1 bit

3) actually its the same for vector, I don't know if his alligence is with the empire of the Kiliks

4) Ashara has no place with my DS inquisitors plus dispite being DS she seems to think I am going to re-organise the empire

5) Tanno Vik he got a dishonourable discharge already why would I have him on my team, yes he might be the best explosives expert in the republic but I would gladly take the second best choice.

Yeah there is no way in hell I would ever have let Skadge bully himself onto my ship (I would have shot him as soon as he took his first step towards the ship.

1) Quinn he should have not left that space station (or ship I cant remember) alive

3) actually its the same for vector, I don't know if his alligence is with the empire of the Kiliks

4) Ashara has no place with my DS inquisitors plus dispite being DS she seems to think I am going to re-organise the empire

5) Tanno Vik he got a dishonourable discharge already why would I have him on my team, yes he might be the best explosives expert in the republic but I would gladly take the second best choice.

Everything Vector does, shows you how loyal he is to you.

Kaliyo, yeah, would have killed her on that companion mission if given the chance, but I think part of that mission is to give you a chance to forgive her and make her a best buddy! :p

With the exception of Vector, Im pretty sure if polled, that would be the list of the 5 (replacing Vector with Skadge) most unacceptable forced companions.

Vik has grown on me sense I finished his companion stories but if given a choice, I would have taken the 2nd best explosive expert instead

Well I have only levelled to the start of chapter 2 so maybe there is more from him I just feel as if I should not trust him as (from what I can remember anyway) he is still connected to the hive mind, looking for lost killik sects etc and I (personally) doubt he has the empires interests in mind anymore.

But there again its been a while since I played my IA so I may be forgetting something in the conversations.

Remember, the decision to take Tanno along was a bit above your pay grade.

Edited by Subhntr

Vector's loyalty is divided between his hive and the empire, but ultimately rests with Cipher nine. (Especially if they're married.)

He's still a patriot, and proves his dedication to the empire when he makes his stand with Cipher nine and the alderaanians if you refuse to let his hive set up shop in house cortess. He furthermore accomplishes the unthinkable in brokering a trade alliance between the "lost" kilik colonies and the empire.

Vik... Tanno Vik was dishonourably discharged, but to me, that's part of the appeal, he's not afraid of underhanded tactics and he gets, ****, done. He's fun to have around and 'renegades' (hurr durr mass effect) don't need to bend over backwards for his affection, unlike say, jorgan, dorne and yuun. If there's anyone in the troopers crew I want to kill off, its that sycophantic hunk of junk forex.

Edited by Nefertuss

Kaliyo doesn't seem to bad until you do her companion storylines, so I can see why she doesn't seem as hated by everyone. My agent (second one made) just completed all her companion missions (never did them on first agent) with her and I really thought "I trust her on the team, why?" But gave it a bit of "Okay, she's that friend you can't always trust" but when it came to the end of it all I think my Agent would have shot her :p Though I could see others doing it differently. Definitely wish we had the choice there.

Quinn is the same imo. I think it needs to be a matter of "Does your Warrior realize Quinn didn't have a choice in the matter at all, since it was Baras' doing all along" or "Does your Warrior give into the dark side and act out in anger" or "Does your Warrior realize Quinn didn't have much of a choice and while maybe not kill him, needs a middle ground to show some anger towards him...at least for awhile."

Skadge I just feel is the worst, because if you don't like him at all, he just bullies his way onto the ship. I'm sure if you like him from the start and are best buddies with him right away, it all makes sense for him to be there.

Gault, who I love, is in the same boat. I would have liked my BH to have killed/frozen him from the start. Not because he's not likable (he is) I just don't like that my Hunter had to now cheat at the competition. :(

I get this feeling with multiple companions though, as if they all have companions who for the majority of players (or just me :p) just don't seem to belong on the crew. This isn't to say they'd all be killed (Skadge totally would though :p) or not befriended, they just wouldn't have been made part of the crew (Qyzen would be in this boat on my Consular...friend sure...permanent traveling companion...no).

Vector's loyalty is divided between his hive and the empire, but ultimately rests with Cipher nine. (Especially if they're married.)

He's still a patriot, and proves his dedication to the empire when he makes his stand with Cipher nine and the alderaanians if you refuse to let his hive set up shop in house cortess. He furthermore accomplishes the unthinkable in brokering a trade alliance between the "lost" kilik colonies and the empire.

As I said I probably forgot some of story (plus I had not completed it in the first place)

Gault, who I love, is in the same boat. I would have liked my BH to have killed/frozen him from the start. Not because he's not likable (he is) I just don't like that my Hunter had to now cheat at the competition. :(

I get this feeling with multiple companions though, as if they all have companions who for the majority of players (or just me :p) just don't seem to belong on the crew. This isn't to say they'd all be killed (Skadge totally would though :p) or not befriended, they just wouldn't have been made part of the crew (Qyzen would be in this boat on my Consular...friend sure...permanent traveling companion...no).

Yeah Gaults a odd one thinking about it, especially if you are really role-playing your hunter as you want revenge/beat Tarro Blood but you are willing to risk keeping a Great Hunt target alive?. I mean when I played a BH on Hutta recently I did exactly as the hutt told me to (even if I did not like it) as I would not risk my place in the great hunt for anything.

Qyzen, I always feel as if he is there with you on Tython and Courscant because he is Yuon's friend but by the end of Courscant I feel he is a friend so he comes along with me.

Remember, the decision to take Tanno along was a bit above your pay grade.

I would have fought Garza a lot harder to not have Vik on my team, its all well and good being ordered to do it but I am expected to keep him in line, why should I, I have other priorities.

Edited by Jedi_riches

Qyzen, I always feel as if he is there with you on Tython and Courscant because he is Yuon's friend but by the end of Courscant I feel he is a friend so he comes along with me.

Yes, but you likely haven't gotten through his companion quests at that point. It when you start getting through those, I start to consider maybe he shouldn't be part of my crew.

Seriously, he see's a wookie and he thinks "Kill them!" how do we not see him thinking of anyone else that way? He's also more than willing to hunt a wookie on his away from the ship time.

Basically, he's willing to kill a sentient life because, he why not! I'm unsure why he doesn't think that of Cathars. :p

I interpreted my Shadow's relationship with Qyzen as partly about paying a debt to him. He lost his all-important score tally while trying to help the Jedi, and the Consular's role as "herald of the Scorekeeper" seems very important to him, so the choice is to dismiss his beliefs as silly primitive nonsense or take his spiritual crisis seriously and try to help.

The Wookiee incident really had me rethinking things, though. :eek:

I interpreted my Shadow's relationship with Qyzen as partly about paying a debt to him. He lost his all-important score tally while trying to help the Jedi, and the Consular's role as "herald of the Scorekeeper" seems very important to him, so the choice is to dismiss his beliefs as silly primitive nonsense or take his spiritual crisis seriously and try to help.

The Wookiee incident really had me rethinking things, though. :eek:

Exactly! Up until that point, I thought, okay, he's like a law enforcer. He hunts big game and he takes on bad guys for big scores. Instead we see he'll kill any wookie for their hide. Wookie is just a big score.

Not that wookies are much better mind you when it comes to attitude, but they don't just hunt innocents, in general (they might just kill an innocent tranddosian because of what their people do :p), but the wookie is on the smuggler ship and I can see smuggler's being much forgiving of that attitude.

It's not that I don't think "Can't be friends" it's just that I think they shouldn't be working together so closely.

As I said I probably forgot some of story (plus I had not completed it in the first place)

Yeah Gaults a odd one thinking about it, especially if you are really role-playing your hunter as you want revenge/beat Tarro Blood but you are willing to risk keeping a Great Hunt target alive?. I mean when I played a BH on Hutta recently I did exactly as the hutt told me to (even if I did not like it) as I would not risk my place in the great hunt for anything.

As much as I like Gault (one of my favorite companions in the game) his recruitment did result in an out-of-character moment for my Bounty Hunter. Both before and after, whenever given the option, I played her as a professional who always completed her contacts no matter what her personal feelings were, and who couldn't be bribed. She might fight for credits, but she does have a code that she follows. Recruiting Gault by cheating on a contract would be out of character for her.

I think Gault's recruitment might have worked better if it was a Hutt that took out the contract, and the Hutt had a special request that his prize be delivered alive and in person to him. When your Bounty Hunter presents the frozen Gault to the Hutt, he instead betrays you when it is time for him to pay up. Maybe something similar to Return of the Jedi, with the Hutt hitting a button that opens a trapdoor beneath you. You are captured and being held in his dungeon and have to escape. (perhaps tied to the interference of your rival in the Great Hunt) During the escape you come across Gault, now a fellow prisoner, and he reveals some obstacle in the dungeon that you're going to need help with in getting out, and pleads for you to free him. You could then free Gault, who helps you escape, killing the Hutt and collecting the money you were owed from his corpse on the way out.

I think that would have worked better because Gault would be recruited out of necessity, and the Bounty Hunter still completed their contract. You delivered Gault as promised, but were cheated by your employer. Once Gault was delivered you had no further obligation to kill him or deliver him to other parties he had cheated, as they hadn't hired you. It could then proceed as normal with Gault using the body trick to fool other parties who want him dead or languishing in a Hutt dungeon.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

As much as I like Gault (one of my favorite companions in the game) his recruitment did result in an out-of-character moment for my Bounty Hunter. Both before and after, whenever given the option, I played her as a professional who always completed her contacts no matter what her personal feelings were, and who couldn't be bribed. She might fight for credits, but she does have a code that she follows. Recruiting Gault by cheating on a contract would be out of character for her.

I think Gault's recruitment might have worked better if it was a Hutt that took out the contract, and the Hutt had a special request that his prize be delivered alive and in person to him. When your Bounty Hunter presents the frozen Gault to the Hutt, he instead betrays you when it is time for him to pay up. Maybe something similar to Return of the Jedi, with the Hutt hitting a button that opens a trapdoor beneath you. You are captured and being held in his dungeon and have to escape. (perhaps tied to the interference of your rival in the Great Hunt) During the escape you come across Gault, now a fellow prisoner, and he reveals some obstacle in the dungeon that you're going to need help with in getting out, and pleads for you to free him. You could then free Gault, who helps you escape, killing the Hutt and collecting the money you were owed from his corpse on the way out.

I think that would have worked better because Gault would be recruited out of necessity, and the Bounty Hunter still completed their contract. You delivered Gault as promised, but were cheated by your employer. Once Gault was delivered you had no further obligation to kill him or deliver him to other parties he had cheated, as they hadn't hired you. It could then proceed as normal with Gault using the body trick to fool other parties who want him dead or languishing in a Hutt dungeon.

That would have been much better. I think Skadge could have had a better intro as well, so even with his ****** personality, he could've been a little more welcome to more people.

One might feel bad for the Hunter having two companions like this, but Agent is just as bad with Kaliyo and Scorpio. :p

One might feel bad for the Hunter having two companions like this, but Agent is just as bad with Kaliyo and Scorpio. :p

I'd go so far as to say that none of the Agent companions belong on the Agent's crew. That is, you have a compelling reason either as soon as you pick them up or shortly afterwards to drop them off somewhere (or kill them) and carry on without them. Their stories in the long term might prove things differently, but there's no compelling reason for the Agent to patiently wait for these people to justify themselves.

From my Operative's perspective:

Kaliyo's obvious. She's an erratic thug with no sense of professionalism or subtlety. Not the kind of person you want backing you up when stealth is key or you're trying to minimise collateral damage. Her loyalty is also heavily in question from the start.

Vector's behaviour on Alderaan suggests a severe disconnect in his way of thinking. Yes, he may prove himself loyal in the long term, and his superpowers are potentially useful, but he's still a potential liability and would be best left behind. He probably makes the best case for being on the crew, though.

Lokin is a dangerous shapeshifting thing that blackmailed its way onto the Operative's ship. Forgetting that once they're in deep space, he and what he knows can be safely flushed out an airlock. Since Lokin himself can't immediately explain what he has become, it's a bit crazy to just assume he's stable and reliable despite sometimes turning into a monster.

Temple has a similar problem to Mako: she comes across as far too idealistic and innocent to do the Empire's dirty work in the shadows. She only got recruited in the first place because she was going to be killed for "knowing too much" otherwise. The only reason to keep her around after Act 2 is to stop the Sith from catching her and taking her to Korriban; she could probably go back to the Chiss and be safe.

SCORPIO is a crazy droid that wants to kill the Operative. So I need some information that's inside her head? That doesn't justify keeping her fully assembled and powered at all times, let alone allowing her to follow me around on missions. I could probably keep just the head and throw the rest into space.

That's not to say I didn't like those characters; it's just a similar situation to Gault. Great character, but my Merc would have shot him dead. On the other hand, she accepted Skadge with no problems. Sometimes you just need dumb muscle, you know?

I'd go so far as to say that none of the Agent companions belong on the Agent's crew. That is, you have a compelling reason either as soon as you pick them up or shortly afterwards to drop them off somewhere (or kill them) and carry on without them. Their stories in the long term might prove things differently, but there's no compelling reason for the Agent to patiently wait for these people to justify themselves.

From my Operative's perspective:

Kaliyo's obvious. She's an erratic thug with no sense of professionalism or subtlety. Not the kind of person you want backing you up when stealth is key or you're trying to minimise collateral damage. Her loyalty is also heavily in question from the start.

Vector's behaviour on Alderaan suggests a severe disconnect in his way of thinking. Yes, he may prove himself loyal in the long term, and his superpowers are potentially useful, but he's still a potential liability and would be best left behind. He probably makes the best case for being on the crew, though.

Lokin is a dangerous shapeshifting thing that blackmailed its way onto the Operative's ship. Forgetting that once they're in deep space, he and what he knows can be safely flushed out an airlock. Since Lokin himself can't immediately explain what he has become, it's a bit crazy to just assume he's stable and reliable despite sometimes turning into a monster.

Temple has a similar problem to Mako: she comes across as far too idealistic and innocent to do the Empire's dirty work in the shadows. She only got recruited in the first place because she was going to be killed for "knowing too much" otherwise. The only reason to keep her around after Act 2 is to stop the Sith from catching her and taking her to Korriban; she could probably go back to the Chiss and be safe.

SCORPIO is a crazy droid that wants to kill the Operative. So I need some information that's inside her head? That doesn't justify keeping her fully assembled and powered at all times, let alone allowing her to follow me around on missions. I could probably keep just the head and throw the rest into space.

That's not to say I didn't like those characters; it's just a similar situation to Gault. Great character, but my Merc would have shot him dead. On the other hand, she accepted Skadge with no problems. Sometimes you just need dumb muscle, you know?

Great points, though I disgaree with Vector, but only because I think he proves himself when he fights against the nest, but I would guess he doesn't do that if you're DS.

Temple could go a bit in either direction as well imo. I do think my Agent would have left her back with the Chiss after defecting though. Also, an agent who was still loyal after all that, may have gotten temple sent to Korriban as well, and that wasn't a choice. Though, after being brainwashed for bring loyal and doing one's job, my agent started down her path of "The Empire is terrible and will never be good" :p

Skadge is a violent career criminal, of the most glaring kind. And he's not stupid, far from it. Think Simon Adebisi from Oz - that's what i hear when i see Skadge. He works for some BH's, not for others.

I personally have 2 - an honorable Mando and a psychotic Rattataki *****, who i suspect didn't become Sith due to lack of Force Sensitivity, nothing else. I found uses for Skadge on both, though he obviously fits best with the second - so long as he remembers his place in the pecking order. And reminding him - with repeated kicks to the face - should have been a part of his enlistment.