When are the devs gonna make a gtn for your inventory?

I would love this but I wonder how it would impact Fleet.

I love hanging out in fleet because of the random conversations and seeing all the people.

It's my belief that it would not impact fleet at all. Folks that go to fleet seem to go for full service, and folks were concerned (dramatically so) back when GTN terminals were added to personal starships, but that does not seem to have impacted the fleet congestion. I would expect the same thing here.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my belief that it would not impact fleet at all. Folks that go to fleet seem to go for full service, and folks were concerned (dramatically so) back when GTN terminals were added to personal starships, but that does not seem to have impacted the fleet congestion. I would expect the same thing here.
Because all luxury things cost money / CC so the number of people that have them is significantly smaller than people assume.

Most players won't even be aware the item exists. Most players probably still don't realize you can buy a GTN for your ship. It's easy to bring a biased perspective to forum discussions, because the most dedicated and detail-oriented players are the ones who bother booting up the game forums to begin with (and also, subscribing).

If we could see actual statistics on the number of active accounts that have X, Y, or Z unlock / chapters completed / Credit total / etc etc etc, we would probably be shocked to realize how Third World most people experience the game because they're simply oblivious and not really worried about it.

Port-a-GTN would be just another luxury toy for the dedicated / OCD playcrowd.

I'd buy that, I think. I'm using my GTN on the ship all the time. But it's a very dangerous thing for me personally - I'll get addicted, I'll keep checking my GTN auctions all the time via that item, and that means I'll stop enjoying the game - instead every fifteen minutes I'll be checking whether someone outbidded me.

It's the same as, say, an online/mobile GTN app - people who have it would have a great advantage over those who don't(adjusting their GTN priorities at work instead of working), but they wouldn't be enjoying the game as much.

It's the same as, say, an online/mobile GTN app - people who have it would have a great advantage over those who don't(adjusting their GTN priorities at work instead of working), but they wouldn't be enjoying the game as much.
People who do all their dailies religiously for months on end also start to enjoy the game less. They also have a financial advantage over people who don't.

Therefore, we should delete dailies so that there's no unfair advantages and everyone has more fun because they're not forced by their OCD to do things they don't find fun.

(Nothing is free — the trade-off for having an 'advantage' over other players is the additional time / effort / mental burden of micromanaging your GTN listings. This is why everyone doesn't do it — their internal cost-benefit analysis says 'HELL NO' or 'YOLO' or something, and they log out and make a salad instead)

Loved your post about the salad! Yes, I completely agree. I guess if such an item does come out, I will have to find a balance between micromanaging and just enjoying the game .

The comparison to dailies hasn't crossed my mind, because dailies take much, much longer for me than GTN-ing - I usually spend five minutes a day on one char and twelve on another; Czerka dailies alone take me half an hour on a level 51-54 char; Ilum dailies on a level 47-49 char can take half a day. Also, Czerka dailies = 40000 credits a day, GTN = 400000+ credits a day(2+ million during a double XP event); financial bonuses GTN provides are rather more lucrative.

Also: this has already been discussed, and I'd like to throw my voice with "item deployment should last at least five minutes" point of view - slow people like me(or people who have all pf their 100 GTN slots assigned) do need to take their time.

Also: this has already been discussed, and I'd like to throw my voice with "item deployment should last at least five minutes" point of view - slow people like me(or people who have all pf their 100 GTN slots assigned) do need to take their time.

It's of no use to me if it does not persist until I deactivate it.... though having it time out after 5 minutes of inactivity by the player would make sense.

But really..... I play the market a lot.. and I personally do not need this. Why? Because all my characters are packing portable mailboxes and a mailbox and an alt sitting by a GTN terminal = all I need. In other words.. I solved this need two years ago.

Sounds like an extremely limited use item that wouldn't even remotely justify the development time and cost and having to integrate that functionality into the existing GTN system. Plus, does anyone really want to sit around and wait to move forward on a flashpoint while 1 guy is lagging behind as he browses item listings on his mobile GTN? No thanks.

Like the mobile mailbox. There is nearly no development time. It's the existing GTN, that you can place anywhere. Everything you need already exists. The GTN, and placeable terminals like the mailbox, Revan statue, ...

Does anyone really want to sit around and wait to move forward on a flashpoint while 1 guy is lagging behind as he browses mails on his mobile mailbox?

No. But the flashpoint was only an example.

We already have those items. Someone just wants a GTN that way. Why not.

Edited by discbox

Like the mobile mailbox. There is nearly no development time. It's the existing GTN, that you can place anywhere. Everything you need already exists. The GTN, and placeable terminals like the mailbox, Revan statue, ...

Does anyone really want to sit around and wait to move forward on a flashpoint while 1 guy is lagging behind as he browses mails on his mobile mailbox?

No. But the flashpoint was only an example.

We already have those items. Someone just wants a GTN that way. Why not.

Yup, the flashpoint was an example :)

Sometimes when i go into a flashpoint/operation we are by a boss and someone afk.

That would ve a perfect example to use the gtn :rolleyes:

Its to unload items that you craft while doing flashpoints,etc.

I usually RE most of it so I can get enough materials back to start crafting next tier of items. With some items you can use same crafting materials for next 40 or 60 levels.

. Also, Czerka dailies = 40000 credits a day, GTN = 400000+ credits a day(2+ million during a double XP event); financial bonuses GTN provides are rather more lucrative.

Very true, considering you have 100 slots.

Sometimes if i have excess credits i waste it on things :p

Edited by kirbyshocksword

Because all luxury things cost money / CC so the number of people that have them is significantly smaller than people assume.

Most players won't even be aware the item exists. Most players probably still don't realize you can buy a GTN for your ship. It's easy to bring a biased perspective to forum discussions, because the most dedicated and detail-oriented players are the ones who bother booting up the game forums to begin with (and also, subscribing).

If we could see actual statistics on the number of active accounts that have X, Y, or Z unlock / chapters completed / Credit total / etc etc etc, we would probably be shocked to realize how Third World most people experience the game because they're simply oblivious and not really worried about it.

Port-a-GTN would be just another luxury toy for the dedicated / OCD playcrowd.

...and would therefore fall under the same formula, so my point still stands. Folks were upset, the item was released, it did not appear to have a fleet impact. Nor would an item like this IMO.

Edited by LordArtemis

Loved your post about the salad! Yes, I completely agree. I guess if such an item does come out, I will have to find a balance between micromanaging and just enjoying the game .
To clarify, I completely understand your concern — I have the same bad habits about running 'fun' things into the ground because I'm so obsessively detail-oriented.

The comparison to dailies hasn't crossed my mind, because dailies take much, much longer for me than GTN-ing
Well it was just an offhand example, the first thing that skipped my mind. I was just demonstrating there are other areas in MMOs / life in general where each individual has to make their own personal assessment about how to invest time (and this is a good thing).

Dailies are definitely a lump-sum of time, but they're also finite — you can only do so many dailies per day, no matter how determined you are.

GTN micromanagement is a more insidious time-'waster', like eg, checking forums or Twitter throughout the day. Lots of tiny brief diversions that can add up to a shocking amount of time if you actually measure it.

Also, dailies — insipid as some people may find them — involve actually playing the game (just perhaps in a more chore-oriented way), while GTN management is purely a mini-game separate from the 'true' game. So while dailies may take longer, I assume they're also more 'exciting' / 'engaging' for most players (who aren't day traders).

In other words, dailies may take 2-3x or +++ the duration of a GTN/listing sweep, but you're 'playing' that whole time vs. spending it completely micromanaging a market mini-game.

My point with all this diversion is just to say that I think most forms of voluntary timesink have pros/cons that balance each other out to the point it's up to each individual to weigh how much they're willing to do it (and most players do indeed self-regulate like that).

IMO game designs work better when the devs rely on individuals to police themselves and make their own trade-off decisions, including pausing on CD to check their GTN clicky. :p

Obviously this is a very fine line — the moment it tips over and 'enough' players feel the cost-benefit is in favor of a task they dislike, you begin to get a very grumpy player base, because people feel 'obligated' to do activities they don't find fun and then their desire to log in nosedives.

(See WoW when they removed the 25-quest cap on Daily Quests in MoP, then added a noseload of factions to grind rep with each day — the playerbase went into mass revolt because, with no limits in place, they felt required to grind everything every day until they burned out and learned to hate logging in within a few weeks.)

Mostly i go to the fleet for the GTN, the cartel baazar, the pvp area and doing operations. (Not sure if i missed any)

This is most likely irrelevant with housing coming. I can't imagine NOT having a GTn in my house, and with a new feature like housing I think Bioware would want you to be inside your house as much as possible. Field GTN? I don't think so.

This is most likely irrelevant with housing coming. I can't imagine NOT having a GTn in my house, and with a new feature like housing I think Bioware would want you to be inside your house as much as possible. Field GTN? I don't think so.

Hopefully they will make one FREE to all subs :D

At first glance it sounds like a good idea.

However, it would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to people who had paid the 5million credits to unlock the GTN on ship (it smarted a bit when they set the CC unlock so low considering the 5 million was back in the days when it took a bit of time to amass wealth)

Would you be happy if mid Flashpoint, Operation, Warzone you find you have to stop and wait while player A stops and lists their items.

There is a simple and effective workaround. Purchase the field mail droid. Mail crafted items to an alt that is stood near a GTN terminal (on ship, fleet, home planet, personally I find the one on CZ-198 to be the optimal place for access to bank, mailbox, GTN terminal). Before you log off, jump over to alt and list items.

Just thought I'd add this as both threads are still active. Shouldn't it be in the suggestions area though?

Edited by Vhaegrant

However, it would be a bit of a kick in the teeth to people who had paid the 5million credits to unlock the GTN on ship (it smarted a bit when they set the CC unlock so low considering the 5 million was back in the days when it took a bit of time to amass wealth)

If BW finds that this would be a significant issue for players they could always make the Ship Unlock a prerequisite to the field unlock.

Would you be happy if mid Flashpoint, Operation, Warzone you find you have to stop and wait while player A stops and lists their items.

I'm a little skeptical that this would be a widespread enough problem to justify not implementing the option. Frankly any players who are going to do that are probably douchey enough that you'd have them going AFK for a whole host of reasons anyway.

I'm a little skeptical that this would be a widespread enough problem to justify not implementing the option. Frankly any players who are going to do that are probably douchey enough that you'd have them going AFK for a whole host of reasons anyway.

Agreed. It seems the hyperbole is strong with that one.

I love - absolutely love - my Revan holostatue, my field mail droid, and my Malgus/Satile holostatues. QoL features are very important. When I play other MMOs that don't have similar features, I find that I miss them dearly.

I fully support the idea of a GTN kiosk toy. As someone else said, it should persist at least 5 minutes.

I also want a cargo hold access toy.

I love - absolutely love - my Revan holostatue, my field mail droid, and my Malgus/Satile holostatues. QoL features are very important. When I play other MMOs that don't have similar features, I find that I miss them dearly.

I fully support the idea of a GTN kiosk toy. As someone else said, it should persist at least 5 minutes.

I also want a cargo hold access toy.

Carho hold toy is a great idea!

Its those moments when you are trying to get sonething but your inventory is full :)

Actually, upon further reflection, I dislike this idea.

GTN is already littered with plenty of items being stored there.

Having a "field terminal" would, IMHO, make it far far to easy to use it as temp storage and bring the system to its knees being filled with 50000 per unit crafting mats and 100 million credit items