What's the point of armor proficiency and getting new equipment?

Raxwars

Help me here people, i really can't understand this.

So i pick up a lvl 15 chest with no stats, and i mod it completely, i get an item with a certain stats. i pick up a lvl 25 chest without stats and i mod it exactly with the same mods, and both the armor, and the stats become exactly the same!

What's the point in getting new armor? all i see is people getting new equipment just to remove the mods and re-use it. Even more, what's the point in light/medium/heavy equipment?

I'm really confused about this, both me and my guildies can't understand, we do think that prolly later game there will be some stats that's can't be achievable trough mods?

Help me here people, i really can't understand this.

So i pick up a lvl 15 chest with no stats, and i mod it completely, i get an item with a certain stats. i pick up a lvl 25 chest without stats and i mod it exactly with the same mods, and both the armor, and the stats become exactly the same!

What's the point in getting new armor? all i see is people getting new equipment just to remove the mods and re-use it. Even more, what's the point in light/medium/heavy equipment?

I'm really confused about this, both me and my guildies can't understand, we do think that prolly later game there will be some stats that's can't be achievable trough mods?

Armoring Ratings scale differently with armour class (light\medium\heavy).

And modding items is made for the very reason that players like to decide the way they look. I don't want to look like a Fallout Enclave soldier as a Sith Juggernaut. So I get a moddable heavy suit that looks like a robe.

yeah, but that defeats the purpouse of getting new items?

More looks? More options?

Edited by Helig

I was under the impression that if light armor is modded with an armor mod it would have lower armor then if it was heavy armor modded with the exact same armor mod.

Are you saying that you modded light armor and heavy armor with the same armor mod and they had the exact same armor? Not stats, armor, like the defensive value.

Edit: Also I love the mod system. It allows me to keep something that I like the look of.

Edited by Escherichia

i'm still confused.

imagine this, i chosen Synthweaving as a crafting profession, as for what i understand, i only chose it for cosmetical reasons? cause producing a lvl 50 armor would be equal as producing a lvl 15 armor?

End game progression will consist in getting new mods?

It depends on the type of armor.

Any "orange" item (item with an orange border on the icon) is basically an empty shell. It's only purpose is to give your character a certain look and to hold mods. The mods determine the stats 100%. The actual amount of armor you get from an armoring mod depends on the type of armor (light, medium or heavy) and the armor slot (head, chest, feet, etc). You can increase your stats by replacing old mods with new ones that you buy or get from questing.

There are also green, blue and purple items which cannot be modded. They have specific stats. If you haven't been updating the mods in your orange gear, you will eventually be able to replace it with a green or blue item that has better stats.

So it's up to you, you can either forget about mods and keep replacing your items with better ones that you find, or if you really dig how a certain orange item looks you can keep getting new mods to replace the old ones, and you can increase your stats while keeping the same look for your character indefinitely.

maybe.

but its all just stat increases, why does it matter where they come from? a new piece of gear, a new mod, a pixie taps you with a wand and you now have 10 more aim than you used to...its all the same, if you're just looking at it from a progression point of view.

Edited by blackhumbug

i'm still confused.

imagine this, i chosen Synthweaving as a crafting profession, as for what i understand, i only chose it for cosmetical reasons? cause producing a lvl 50 armor would be equal as producing a lvl 15 armor?

No because not all items are moddable. Synthweaving may be able to make a really good "blue" chest piece with great stats for a level 20, and you can use that. But with the right schematic, you can also make an "orange" version of that so a player can keep the look associated with that gear as long as he wants by continuously updating the mods.

For some people it probably will. I think most people will have one or two moddable items that they like -- probably a chest piece and maybe a helmet that they really like the appearance for -- and for the rest of their gear (boots, gloves, etc) they will get regular non-moddable items from flashpoints and raids.

maybe.

but its all just stat increases, why does it matter where they come from? a new piece of gear, a new mod, a pixie taps you with a wand and you now have 10 more aim than you used to...its all the same, if you're just looking at it from a progression point of view.

i'm a bit worried, because it seems my crafting profession (synthweaving) just became alot less cooler :\ ... And i just saw a Bounty Hunter with a Juggearnaut Set, but with Bounty Hunter mods, that didn't looked good.

Pretty sure Epic > Mods at 50, you can call me out on this though if you wish. I was just glancing at torhead and saw that if you put the best mods in, there are still some epics that look better. I am sure when raiding though some orange gear with mods will drop that you can take even better mods out of.

I do not think your profession will be worthless tho, New 50's will love to buy ur epic armors for sure, you will prolly make more money with that then Art will make at first, until Art gets all their mods upgraded.

i'm a bit worried, because it seems my crafting profession (synthweaving) just became alot less cooler :\ ... And i just saw a Bounty Hunter with a Juggearnaut Set, but with Bounty Hunter mods, that didn't looked good.

Gear crafted on crit also gets an extra Augment slot. Not sure how it is now, but in Beta crit-crafted epics were the absolute best gear around.

If yo're a Warrior, you get a +5% Synthweaving crit companion. And that is sexy.

Edited by Helig