Nitpicking over my DPS

Aelanis

Here's a reasonably lucky parse (4th or so try with the Dread Forged MH hilt), and I was hoping I could get some people to pick through it and see what I could do better. I know my use of Blackout isn't perfect, and that that could increase my damage by a bit, but aside from that, what can I do to improve? To be honest, though, unless you can back up your thoughts/ideas with some facts or reputation (AKA the math behind why it's better or you can point to logs, or are someone in the top 15 world parses (I keep track separately from the boards Falver maintains, out to 18th place)), I will be taking your advice less seriously than those who do back up their thoughts.

TORParse link

AMR to come later, since it's less than optimal, but I'm saving up for DF Implants/Earpiece since my raid team's luck is terrible (1 implant from Nefra in the last 2 months for the lose :( ) and we don't raid consistently enough to gear up alt specs. I'm debating adding or taking out crit, but I haven't tested enough with the main hand (or run the new numbers) to really have a definitive answer, but I'm thinking more crit. Stats will come later, probably by tomorrow night.

EDIT:

So it turns out I had an AMR Profile mostly finished already and just had to tweak it.

Edited by Aelanis

It's difficult to judge from a parse, but i'll have a look when i get home.

Yeah, I know, but my computer can't really handle video recording while running the game client (I'm already running it at the lowest possible graphics settings and can't break 60 fps on fleet), or I'd have posted a video of it.

Honestly, the mistiming of your blackout could cost you 200 dps or more quite easily. That might be your only problem.

I suggest you try and get the timing down, use it as quick as you can and using all means you have to prevent overcapping (just don't Shadow Strike without IT). It might yield better results than you think.

Those 72 Saber Strikes definitely hit you hard.. Especially if they prevented you from projecting on cooldown with Cshadows.

Honestly, the mistiming of your blackout could cost you 200 dps or more quite easily. That might be your only problem.

I suggest you try and get the timing down, use it as quick as you can and using all means you have to prevent overcapping (just don't Shadow Strike without IT). It might yield better results than you think.

Those 72 Saber Strikes definitely hit you hard.. Especially if they prevented you from projecting on cooldown with Cshadows.

That big? Yikes. Alright, looks like I have some practice to do then. 200 dps might be a bit much (that'd put me about level with your best parses), but I can see how the Saber Strike bit hurt. I took a look at some of the top parses for Infiltration, and yeah, I used Saber Strike a lot more. Thanks for the tip, and I'll post again when I get some good luck and fix my mistakes.

Maybe I've been doing this wrong, but should I be waiting until Potency comes off cooldown naturally before using Cloak? Or should I Cloak basically on cooldown to have better Force regen?

Sync cloak with your blackout. Potency use will not be optimal but having sufficient force is far more important.

20 seconds or less on blackout cd means you wait for the cd, then blackout, 6 seconds later you cloak, and 6 seconds after that you blackout again. This will more than restore a fully depleted force bar. You will have to clairvoyance more than usual.

Sync cloak with your blackout. Potency use will not be optimal but having sufficient force is far more important.

20 seconds or less on blackout cd means you wait for the cd, then blackout, 6 seconds later you cloak, and 6 seconds after that you blackout again. This will more than restore a fully depleted force bar. You will have to clairvoyance more than usual.

Heh, "have to clairvoyance more than usual." Alright, it'll get some taking use to, but it does make rather a lot of sense. Thanks for the help! I'll be parsing this weekend, as last night wasn't that great (kept getting Shadow Technique procs off of Force Breach (more than 5 a fight, typically).

I'm curious as to why the cutoff is 20 seconds, though. Is that a gut feeling? Given a little time, I could try to run the math on the optimal time to use it, but that will have to wait until tonight.

It's probably good if you learn all the specs :p

I "know" how to play Balance, I just don't do as well with it. I need more practice not clipping DoTs and more practice in the execute range. The theory behind Balance is pretty, uh, simplistic. I also need to work out the ratio of Double Strike to Saber Strike for it, but that'll also come with practice. I wonder how the hybrids will perform after 2.8 hits...

Force is mostly static, you just use Saber Strike to ensure you have enough force to maintain your "main" rotation of Breach/Sever Force and FiB ^^

No DPS is lost as long as you don't cap it out.

Edited by Evolixe