Question for people who have used the Collector's Edition

SW_display_name

Hi guys, I'm kind of on a mad quest atm to unlock everything SWTOR has always taunted me with, hidden behind exclusive vendors.

Right now I'm targeting the CE vendor.

I have a few questions for those who have successfully used the CE code to unlock their account, to help me ask good questions to prospective sellers:

• Where is the "CE code" located inside the CE box?
  • How would a potential seller check / verify whether the code has been used? Are there any clear signs that guarantee the code is unaccessed / unused?
  • I've had one seller say the "Downloadable content code" is still valid — is this something completely different, or just weird terminology?
  • By extension ↑ is there more than one "code" inside the CE box, that might confuse people when I ask about it?

It's just such a hassle to do returns when buying from 3rd-party marketplaces, especially with an ambiguous 'product' like a registration code (because yeah, you Malgus but don't need you sitting on my desk, just want the code) so I really want to get guarantees set in stone before buying.

TY to anyone who knows. :)

The code isn't on the CE box itself. The box contains another smaller metallic keep case (?) with the actual discs of the game inside next to a sheet of paper with the product code and relatively detailed information on how to unlock it.

If you obtain an unopened CE box I think you can be fairly certain that the code included within has not been used yet :)

I happened to still have the box laying around, went and checked to see if I had more than one code and I did not. I had only a product registration code on a paper insert inside of the metal collectors case. So to be honest, it is likely a scam if you are only purchasing the product code. I highly doubt anyone would buy a collectors, hold on to it for 2 years without using the code, and then be willing to part with only the code instead of the whole package.

The only way in my eyes to verify whether or not the code has been used, is if the plastic sheath around the box has not had the clear round stickers removed from the top and bottom. There is absolutely no shrink wrap involved with the packaging.

Edited by oJebuso

I highly doubt anyone would buy a collectors, hold on to it for 2 years without using the code, and then be willing to part with only the code instead of the whole package.
Oh hell naw, haha.

I'm trying to find someone willing to let me buy the CE, but instead of mailing it to me, just give me the code. I really, really don't care about the physical stuff and would rather not bother with mail and shipping fees. :p

Anyway TY guys, very educational and what I needed to know. :)

The only way in my eyes to verify whether or not the code has been used, is if the plastic sheath around the box has not had the clear round stickers removed from the top and bottom. There is absolutely no shrink wrap involved with the packaging.
So the CE code is inside the little metal tin that contains the game CDs, right?

Is that also "sealed" in some way, or would there be no way to tell if the metal box had been opened already before?

So the CE code is inside the little metal tin that contains the game CDs, right?

Is that also "sealed" in some way, or would there be no way to tell if the metal box had been opened already before?

First pic is the metal case, there was no shrinkwrap or any sealing whatsoever if I remember correctly. The only sealing on the box was the round stickers on the outside in pic 2.

http://imgur.com/Hl9ensp

http://imgur.com/flaS3uo

Wait, why do you want the CE if you do not want the physical goodies in it? For the access to the Vendor who has almost no good items?

Some people like collecting things. As I understand it, there are people who are trying to complete the entirety of Collections, which is bloody huge.

Wait, why do you want the CE if you do not want the physical goodies in it? For the access to the Vendor who has almost no good items?
No good items for you, maybe. :)

For an RP mega-ho like me, that vendor has some amazing stuff. Same reason I ponied up to grind the Cartel reps to Newcomer for the companion looks (ELARA NUMBER NINEEEEEEEEEEE) and RP sets.

Imperial Trooper, Tiger Jorgan, Green Armored Khem Val ... I'm really detailed-oriented so this stuff matters to me a lot.

On the other hand, physical possessions do not. I'm kind of zen IRL. I don't like accumulating 'stuff', it makes me uncomfortable. So I'd rather other people have and enjoy that tangible 'stuff'. Just how I roll. :)

Some people like collecting things. As I understand it, there are people who are trying to complete the entirety of Collections, which is bloody huge.
It's because I customize every single character I create down to the tiniest detail of their life history, which includes their Companions, and I go crazy if anything looks 'off' about their armor, weapons, body, etc.

You can only do so much in SWTOR with the pieces you have available, but it gets better all the time (thank you, Cartel Market!), and if I know something better is in-game but out of reach I go :mad::eek::confused::o:( and implode.

I used to just go "MONEY VENDOR, IGNORE" when designing stuff, but then lately I sat down and started looking at what it actually costs to unlock some of these gated vendors and it's like "Uh... that's really not that bad". I know that's a very personal thing / YMMV, but considering how much enjoyment I get out of making my characters / playing Sci-Fi Barbie, it's totally worth it to me. :)

Edited by SW_display_name

My metallic CD case was shrinkwrapped when I opened it Dec 2011. I know because I opened the shrinkwrap carefully on the top end and kept the metllic case in the opened shrinkwrap ever since.
Thank you for this detail, by the way.

Someone is selling a "new" SWTOR CE, but only the CD tin removed from the box. They insist the code has not been used and that it's "sealed", which was confusing me based on what was said earlier.

But now that listing makes a lot more sense. :)

Just pay by paypal. If the code is used dispute it.
The issue is that certain vendors explicitly have a games return policy of "ZERO RETURNS IF OPENED", with the logic that if you open a sealed game and the code doesn't work, that's between you and BioWare.

When these policies are in place before purchase, it makes it kind of 50/50 whether an arbitration will fall in your favor.

That's why knowing what is actually looks like when new is invaluable, because sometimes sellers will unload 'sealed' stuff and even they might not know that it's been opened/resealed because they don't pay enough attention to what the packaging originally looked like. Has happened to me before buying vintage games. :(

When you do get your CE, try out the Deep Orange/Deep Red dye. It sounds bad, but it can look fantastic in some armor!
Yep, I'm a huge fan of exploiting "junk" dyes in creative ways to get some really nice-looking outfits.

Black/Black and White/White and other expensive/popular dyes tend to actually be overkill and make outfits look unnaturally stark/garish compared to more balance palettes.

If you are so afraid of receiving a used code (or none at all), I think you should make finding a trustworthy seller who sells a brand-new & factory sealed box your priority (over price and other considerations).

However, even a factory-sealed and totally brand new and unused box may still not contain a code. There was a problem with the CE missing product keys right before the game launched.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=37565

Edited by KyaniteD

Thank you for this detail, by the way.

Someone is selling a "new" SWTOR CE, but only the CD tin removed from the box. They insist the code has not been used and that it's "sealed", which was confusing me based on what was said earlier.

But now that listing makes a lot more sense. :)

Here are some pictures of what it should look like:

http://i.imgur.com/oVczc3L.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/asIUtUy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/upZEZyd.jpg

My CE was bought from a major retailer and the code and everything that came with it worked perfectly.

Edited by djdee

The code isn't on the CE box itself. The box contains another smaller metallic keep case (?) with the actual discs of the game inside next to a sheet of paper with the product code and relatively detailed information on how to unlock it.

If you obtain an unopened CE box I think you can be fairly certain that the code included within has not been used yet :)

This. If the actual package itself (it's a pretty big box) is still factory sealed, you can be relatively assured that the code has been unused. If the package and included materials have been opened, it's "buyer beware" regardless of what the seller says. Generally speaking, I don't think auction sites like eBay allow game codes to be sold by themselves any more.

If I were you, I would try tracking down the CE through regular retailers first. I know Gamestop had them cheap last summer and was able to pick up a spare at one of my local ones. Otherwise, I would just keep hitting up the auction sites like eBay, eBid, and try Amazon as well. At least with those, you have buyer feedback to judge the trustworthiness of the seller and some added protection as well.

Thanks guys!

So based on your advice and pictures I was able to pretty confidently purchase a sealed CE box for $50. I think that's pretty reasonable considering SWTOR was a free DL (for me), it's less than the cost of a WoW expansion pack, and I can subtract another $15 from the cost since I got a free month added to my sub when I reg'd the code.

Code worked 100% fine. I'm now running around the VIP area, browsing the CE vendor and collecting my Trooper armor and Green Khem Val and Tiger Jorgan and Black/Yellow dye and... :p

Worth the effort IMO. Totally recommend just doing it for anyone who's a fashion / RP hound like me. :)

Well, if you don't want the physical goods, I'd love to have them :D
At some point in the future I will probably put up an auction somewhere like Half.com for basically the price of shipping, because yeah, this stuff is cute but I don't need it. :p

Just too busy to deal with it right now with class / work / blahblah the usual April-May-June insanity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.