Does $80 really equal $5

TalkingtacoGG

Now before I start, don't get me wrong, I am not whining, I pay my $15 per month (plus more on cartel coins) as I enjoy the many benefits subscription provides.

But here is what I don't understand, why is that people that paid up to $80 for the base game on release, only have benefits that someone who pays $5 can access. In my point of view, this is completely unfair for those who DID fish out $80 for the game and cannot afford, or don't want to pay for subscription.

Surely raking in 139 million dollars form the cartel market alone is more than enough to keep the servers up and running, plus a nice chunk of profit. Also it really wouldn't hurt their subscription base, as those who chose to subscribe will always have the most benefits.

Just a thought.

Edited by TalkingtacoGG

This is because at the time the game was $80, the $5 preferred status did not exist. Swtor went to a free to play model when the subscription only model was failing. The game has adapted to survive and thrive. Situations change, and the game has changed with it.

I highly recommend any free to play player to get preferred status as it is the best bargain in this game.

The ability to send mail and to trade are must haves in my opinion. These two unlocks alone are worth the $5, but you also get cargo hold access, an extra crew skill, along with other perks.

Now before I start, don't get me wrong, I am not whining, I pay my $15 per month (plus more on cartel coins) as I enjoy the many benefits subscription provides.

But here is what I don't understand, why is that people that paid up to $80 for the base game on release, only have benefits that someone who pays $5 can access. In my point of view, this is completely unfair for those who DID fish out $80 for the game and cannot afford, or don't want to pay for subscription.

Surely raking in 139 million dollars form the cartel market alone is more than enough to keep the servers up and running, plus a nice chunk of profit. Also it really wouldn't hurt their subscription base, as those who chose to subscribe will always have the most benefits.

Just a thought.

do you also whine that the video game you bought 2 years ago and still play is now for sale in the 5 dollar bin at the local video game shop?

I see, so because of depreciation essentially the base game only costs $5, minus the subscription.

Well it's not really a case of straight depreciation, it was a change in the business model.

I believe the underlying point of the depreciation example is that a game's original sticker price is never something sacred/immutable. It is always subject to change for any of a variety of reasons (of which depreciation is only one example).

In this case that reason was a change in the business model.

Just a thought.

<---- Bought the Digital Deluxe Edition off of Amazon, for more than 5 bucks, and didn't get a Hutt statue so that I can level up where ever I'm at. So much for this thread, eh?

Hey look, something I can actually chime in on.

I was a one of those people that bought an expensive edition back when the game released like you're mentioning. I was also one of them that left a few months after the game released due to some of the overwhelming issues that plagued the game upon release.

About a month ago my wife and I decided to give it another shot, and we have been very pleased with the state of the game currently. So as such, we re-upped our subscriptions. But as to having only what other preferred players have had I not subscribed, that's not 100% accurate.

That $80 price tag you're mentioning is the Digital Deluxe price, no? Those bonus items are still mailed to every character I create, subscribed or not. If for some reason I lose them somehow, it takes a whopping 1 cartel coin to unlock the items account wide on the collections window. Sure, they're mostly cosmetic, but a free account wide mount that every character gets does save 8k a character, for what that's worth.

And with every F2P event that has gone down, even players that haven't been playing have had rewards piling up in their mailboxes. And those that have been playing at preferred for the entire time would have a few more for netting the "Log in during such and such time, get a free pet!" rewards.

TL:DR version: I see the initial $80 as an investment into unique items/titles/etc. Not to mention the experience of actually being around back then.

Just a thought.

I pre ordered and have been subbing for all that time. I'm not unhappy, since f2p earns 'em money to develop and expand the game.

Yes, 80$ = 5$

Check steam holiday sales, it's the same thing. We were here the first, we pay the most.

<---- Bought the Digital Deluxe Edition off of Amazon, for more than 5 bucks, and didn't get a Hutt statue so that I can level up where ever I'm at. So much for this thread, eh?

You did not meet the requirements for that. Sorry to burst your bubble. You had to be a subscriber during a certain period to get the might jabba :D.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I guess that's true if one man had played ME 1&2 and expected Hudson and Walters to deliver on 1/2 of the crap they claimed and the other guy was a retard... In that case, yes I agree "one man's trash is another man's treasure"...

You spent $5 on that garbage??? Wow...

Give me a break. Gamers like you are the plague of the industry.

ME3, despite the ending debacle, is probably the best action RPG bioware ever made. Period.

Gameplay wise, it has no equal in that category. Dark Souls and Witcher 2 comes close in that gameplay regard, but ME3 is in a category of its own with its polished and well executed gameplay.

Be happy for something for what it is. Not for what it was not.

But NOoooooooooooooooooo.

21st century gamers MUST have everything they desire, no?

I guess that's true if one man had played ME 1&2 and expected Hudson and Walters to deliver on 1/2 of the crap they claimed and the other guy was a retard... In that case, yes I agree "one man's trash is another man's treasure"...

You aren't kidding. It wasn't just the ending. Swtor was well worth the money I spent.

Just a thought.

So a few things.

First is that new things just change in value as time goes on. Considering often times a new game will launch at $60 and a year later you can buy it new for 40 or less (often even including some DLC with it that the original did not).

But if you were subscribed when the game went F2P they also gave out a significant amount of cartel coins. I feel like it was $20-30 worth of cartel coins based on buying the game originally and how long you were subscribed. I can't find the article talking about it now though.

You spent $5 on that garbage??? Wow...

I bought the game only a few months ago and I enjoyed it. I know the ending was a big issue for many people, especially as it was back at release. Still, I think it was fun and it was worth the time and money I spent on the game.

ME3, despite the ending debacle, is probably the best action RPG bioware ever made. Period.

Gameplay wise, it has no equal in that category. Dark Souls and Witcher 2 comes close in that gameplay regard, but ME3 is in a category of its own with its polished and well executed gameplay.

Lol... ME3 was absolutely the least polished game BW ever made... Come back to reality, breh... And I love the "despite the ending debacle" preamble... "Hey if you just ignore the complete joke that the culmination of the entire franchise turned out to be, it had great action..." Unreal...

I don't know if I would call it the best. But I also wouldn't say its the worse. I would say it improved in many areas and went backwards in some.

But that is something that is wrong with people today. People are willing to completely throw away a fantastic 100+ hour plus (for a single play through of 1-3) just for a somewhat disappointing 30 minute ending.

I have played through the entire mass effect series (including 3) many times and the ending doesn't bother me since its the end. If they put in what they did at the end and then continued the story for another 10 hours I would be a little pissed. But they didn't so its all good.