The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Official Word on the Fate of the EU from StarWars.com

DarthDymond

The Legendary Star Wars Expanded Universe Turns a New Page

In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.

Demand for past tales of the Expanded Universe will keep them in print, presented under the new Legends banner.

On the screen, the first new canon to appear will be Star Wars Rebels. In print, the first new books to come from this creative collaboration include novels from Del Rey Books. First to be announced, John Jackson Miller is writing a novel that precedes the events of Star Wars Rebels and offers insight into a key character's backstory, with input directly from executive producers Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman.

I don't think anyone is really surprised that the new films won't be beholden to the existing EU, besides having been pretty well stated beforehand, it really was the only move that would have made sense. "Taking elements from it" the way the Clone Wars did was really the best that EU fans could hope for - and will probably be best for the IP overall.

I'm hoping that a dedicated "Legends" imprint will mean there is eventually the potential for that Universe (the current EU) to be continued in the future, a separate timeline like the difference between the mainstream Marvel comics and the Marvel Ultimates line for example. My hopes aren't high for that ever happening, but they do exist.

Edited by DarthDymond

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stuff, I just came to this after watching the video and to be honest I'm happy to with the direction their taking. As you said it was inevitable that the post-ROTJ would be overwritten, and I assume it will be rendered "non-canon" yet lots of elements and the general 'feel' will be incorporated into the movies. The best we could hope for.

But the video, the video I liked because it showed a great deal of respect for the EU and a real desire to maintain that cohesive, singular storyline (you know, the one I'm ranting about all the time :p) and its just cool to see the higher ups saying "the EU, look, it exists!" rather them being just some fun ol' stories. Loved seeing TOR, TFU etc. etc.

Still, nothing we hadn't really figured out ourselves. I'd like to more specific information on exactly how the post-ROTJ is going to fit in to the cohesive canon. "Canon" though seemingly meaning "that which cannot be changed."

Indeed given that the canon system is now internal, we should probably start treating canon as it actually means:

a collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine.

Key word being sacred, basically the movies and TCW is the Shakespeare of the StarWars universe I gather.

EDIT: I missed the whole "Legend" Banner thing, that is interesting, good move by Disney IMO.

Edited by Beniboybling

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of fan boys suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened....

It's not going away, it's going under a separate banner which makes sense. Too much to try and fit into a movie franchise. And why make a new trilogy where 50% of your base knows the story.

Did a lot of people miss this?

"While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s."

I wonder what affect it will have on this game.. And will it continue to be supported even though its not part of the "new-EU" direction they are taking. :eek:
The Story Group has already shown support for TOR, heck it features heavily in the video. Edited by Beniboybling

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of fan boys suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.....

Don't worry......I'm ok now. :D

I knew it would eventually come to a decision like this. Tbh I understand....BUT at the same time, at this point none of the new Canon books they've announced has given me the same fanboy excitement I got when I first heard about the "Sword of the Jedi" series. Maybe I'll be more excited when they announce a book written by Troy Denning or Timothy Zahn.

This was expected. The best thing about this is that right off the bat, Starkiller is now almost 100% guaranteed non-canon I think.

That's awesome. I hated the Force Unleashed story; fun game though.

It's going to be a blast to see what the future holds. :)

Edited by CaulderBenson

This was expected. The best thing about this is that right off the bat, Starkiller is now almost 100% guaranteed non-canon I think.

That's awesome. I hated the Force Unleashed story; fun game though.

I liked the story in TFU (pt 1 anyway LOL)

My biggest concern is they've already said rebels won't be as dark as TCW, even tho it takes place during the reign of the empire which is arguably the darkest time in the galaxy. And now this.....

I've got mixed feelings about this. I've never got into the Post-ROTJ EU, but a lot of people held dearly to that. I'm kinda pissed off becaus I had just bought the Mandalorian Armor novel past month and it may be non-canon now. :mon_frown:

EDIT: Not just post-ROTJ, but everything EU before today is now under this "Legends" banner. Even KOTOR! Check this out:

Edited by BadCaneH

I've got mixed feelings about this. I've never got into the Post-ROTJ EU, but a lot of people held dearly to that. I'm kinda pissed off becaus I had just bought the Mandalorian Armor novel past month and it may be non-canon now. :mon_frown:

EDIT: Not just post-ROTJ, but everything EU before today is now under this "Legends" banner. Even KOTOR! Check this out:

sooo this game technically isnt cannon anymore its legends??

well aint going to watch or read any new star wars stuff then, people may call it a overreaction but to put the history of star wars so far aside and say ok its not cannon its legends is just bull.

sooo this game technically isnt cannon anymore its legends??

well aint going to watch or read any new star wars stuff then, people may call it a overreaction but to put the history of star wars so far aside and say ok its not cannon its legends is just bull.

Like I said, the post-ROTJ stuff is unknown to me, and the little I know I find it to be very odd. But f'cking up with the Old Republic stuff? Cmon... :(

Wait, people really thought they were going to say "Well, Thrawn's out, but the Chiss Ascendency was in SWTOR so that's gotta stay in" when making the new movies/shows/etc?

All "canon" vs "Legends" means is "Will the new Movies and related media be required to take it into acount?" If it's "canon" then the answer is "yes", if it's "Legends" then the answer is "no, but we might chose to take inspiration from it".

Edited by DarthDymond