BioWares budget compared to server stability

darthbored

How much money did they spend to make this game again? :p

Are we running the servers on 1990 hardware? Shouldnt they be able to support loads more?

I love it when people have no clue about network architectures or infrastructures run their mouth about them.

The point is not to cram as many people on day 1 as possible.

And no, it's not just about server stability, but also making sure there are no huge game issues either. Plus, whether you believe it or not, a huge amount of people were invited today. As SR points out, more than many other MMOs on their launch day.

Just be patient.

You dont have to be an expert to realize what you can buy with a lot of money.

I think any consumer, especially americans know what money can buy.

Just sayin.

With the low amount of population they let in, they must not have any confidence whatsoever in their hardware.

The point is not to cram as many people on day 1 as possible.

And no, it's not just about server stability, but also making sure there are no huge game issues either. Plus, whether you believe it or not, a huge amount of people were invited today. As SR points out, more than many other MMOs on their launch day.

Just be patient.

If this was true, then they would have let in a million people. Instead they didn't even make it past the first week.

I can think of many other mmo's that launched at around 500-700k even an upwards of a million for a handful.

I find this statement hard to believe.

How much money did they spend to make this game again? :p

Are we running the servers on 1990 hardware? Shouldnt they be able to support loads more?

rockjaw's twitter said the new shipment of network hardware hasn't come in from newegg yet and unfortunately no one remembers getting the UPS tracking number.

You dont have to be an expert to realize what you can buy with a lot of money.

I think any consumer, especially americans know what money can buy.

Just sayin.

With the low amount of population they let in, they must not have any confidence whatsoever in their hardware.

Umm... There's is no good way to put this but eh... WEREN'T YOU LISTENING TO THE PEOPLE ABOVE ME? :confused:

Meh, go read the Dev Tracker. Obviously I don't think that he's comparing today to big recent launches like Rift; of course 1 million people were not let in today. But it was a massive amount - you can tell that already from the server populations of the open servers.

There will be new servers opening up every day. I'm not sure why people are so upset. Even if you're worried about securing names, guild names, or whatever, you probably can on newly opened servers each day.

If this was true, then they would have let in a million people. Instead they didn't even make it past the first week.

I can think of many other mmo's that launched at around 500-700k even an upwards of a million for a handful.

You know that there is more players alone playing SWTOr now then it was on RIFT's launch day...

And also the 21st - 23rd July when pre-order was first available the actual pre-orders almost went up in a 90 degree and after those days it slowly decended :p

Why is everyone defending this launch?

The OP is right! There is not reason they can only launch with such a small number of people across so many servers. This is a joke but they only care about the money!

Do you have any numbers to back this up? No?

You only see the small server-population, but you have no clue how many invitations were sent.

You know that there is more players alone playing SWTOr now then it was on RIFT's launch day...

And also the 21st - 23rd July when pre-order was first available the actual pre-orders almost went up in a 90 degree and after those days it slowly decended :p

i call ******** on this remark.

In your dream

According to MMOdata... Rift maxed out at 600k subs. SWTOR has 940,000+ physical pre-orders plus all the digital ones (as far as I know those numbers havent been released). They could have easily reached 2.5-3 million preorders. That's a lot of people to cram onto servers in one day.

Have some patience. This isn't about money, it's about creating a quality game play experience. I remember Wow on release day as well as several other MMOs who failed to provide a decent experience at launch. We don't really need to repeat those failures.

If they crammed the servers full and they went down (anyone remember the first two weeks of Wow? Nope, cause the servers crashed every 15 minutes) then you would be on here crying about the crashes. They are trying to do this right. Stop moaning about not getting in on day one - I didn't either. If you were so dead set on being first, maybe you should've pre-ordered on 21July with the other hundred thousands of people who did.

According to MMOdata... Rift maxed out at 600k subs. SWTOR has 940,000+ physical pre-orders plus all the digital ones (as far as I know those numbers havent been released). They could have easily reached 2.5-3 million preorders. That's a lot of people to cram onto servers in one day.

Have some patience. This isn't about money, it's about creating a quality game play experience. I remember Wow on release day as well as several other MMOs who failed to provide a decent experience at launch. We don't really need to repeat those failures.

If they crammed the servers full and they went down (anyone remember the first two weeks of Wow? Nope, cause the servers crashed every 15 minutes) then you would be on here crying about the crashes. They are trying to do this right. Stop moaning about not getting in on day one - I didn't either. If you were so dead set on being first, maybe you should've pre-ordered on 21July with the other hundred thousands of people who did.

Those numbers only included NA-retailers...

No numbers on Europe...

Greetings, everyone. We already have a discussion thread dedicated to talking about invite waves. If you'd like to share your thoughts, you'll find the discussion thread here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=6488

We're going to close this thread and ask that this discussion continue in the existing thread, so we can keep the conversation a little better consolidated. Thank you!