Flashpoint Crash Fix Incoming - 2.7.1

EricMusco

will be happy if it does get fixed i never had the bug until I upgraded to a better spec pc ,least it will stop being vote kicked in the foundry anyways,this is even after I tell them I will crash and will be back in a minute :rolleyes:

will be happy if it does get fixed i never had the bug until I upgraded to a better spec pc ,least it will stop being vote kicked in the foundry anyways,this is even after I tell them I will crash and will be back in a minute :rolleyes:

Did the chip set of your video card change between computers? If so, is the new one Nvidia?

Edited by DarthTHC

This makes me happy. Not just because of the fact that I won't have to worry about getting irritated at crashing and restarting, either.

Mostly, to me, this is a sign of game polishing. This is the sort of thing that separates the short-term flash in the pan MMOs from the long lasting ones.

The longer this game lasts, the better it gets, in other words.

@Darth_Wicked: What you've been able to gather is apparently incorrect. This bug happens to people running solo through the story without regard to spacebar usage. Just cut bait and apologize for the initial poor wording and lets get on to celebrating the fix.

As someone who has had to run Esseles on my laptop to avoid the crash because it always happens on my desktop (which is the good computer with a real graphics card), I am really looking forward to this.

Did the manufacturer of your video card change between computers? If so, is the new one Nvidia?

Same Manufacturer went from a Geforce GTS 460 to GTX 660 TI

old pc was an i5 new one i7

both using same operating system

Edited by Avorniel

I've already read them but unlike you, I'm not ignoring some of the words or the context to suit my particular needs.

So...

Do the words in bold, given said context, mean a different thing altogether in the particular dialect you're using? Again, trying to hard.

Again, kinda complicated seeing that I was the one doing the space bar spamming. Doing half of Foundry twenty five times in a single evening, for the sake of obtaining the Meatbag title was no small feat.

Let's take a look at it in context:

Hey folks!

As I am sure you have seen from Tait's posts, there are quite a few high visibility bug fixes coming in Game Update 2.7.1 which is coming next Tuesday, April 29th. I wanted to tell you about one of the best, as it is something I know folks have been waiting for.

In Game Update 2.7.1 we have a fix in place which should greatly help in reducing the "crash to desktop" that you see sometimes when completing Black Talon, The Esseles, Boarding Party, and the Foundry. As with any fix, we will continue to monitor it closely to see if the issue is still occurring. However, it is looking like a really solid fix and you should see far less instances of crashing, if you see any at all.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

To which you replied, in the very first post after the OP:

Shame. From what I had been able to gather, it happened usually when someone spammed the space bar. If everyone behaved and went for the cinematic approach, they'd have no issues.

So, unless the context is that BioWare disabled space bar useage in cut scenes in FPs, no, the context doesn't change. Whatever the problem was, it was something that BioWare has found a way to address it on their end, so no, anecdotal evidence doesn't change the context of the thread, which is that BioWare has found a fix for the problem.

Did the chip set of your video card change between computers? If so, is the new one Nvidia?

I had the same experience. Never saw this issue with my old laptop, but when I upgraded to a new desktop with a decent graphics card (an AMD 7700 series in my case) I started getting the crash of every Esseles run during the last conversation. Oddly, it never happend to me on BT or the other flashpoints, just Esseles.

I'd be interested to here a bit more on what was changed in the back end to try and address this, as it's been such a weird one.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Some of you have already guessed it but I thought I would dispel some of the "sorcery" around what was causing the crash. In those Flashpoints there is a cinematic transition that happens as a part of the hyperspace jump, it was an issue within that animation which would cause the crash. We were able to isolate the root cause within that cinematic and address it.

Hope that explains a little bit about the issue!

-eric

From my own experience with this bug, windowed mode would be guaranteed to cause the crash, not avoid it.

Going full screen (NOT "full screen windowed", which is my usual setting) would let me avoid the crash by alt+tabbing out. I suspect the difference is that in full screen windowed mode, the graphics are still rendering in the background -- you can't actually "minimize" it.

I think you are correct. Windowed mode is usually how I avoided the bug, but I also minimized the game at that point. The same effect as being full screen non-windowed, and alt-tabbing. Letting the animation render in any mode seemed to trigger the crash.

I was thinking about this bug the other day, and wondering when we should celebrate its second birthday. I can't quite recall whether I started seeing it in 1.2 (April 2012) or 1.3 (June 2012).

Edited by NoFishing

Hey folks,

Some of you have already guessed it but I thought I would dispel some of the "sorcery" around what was causing the crash. In those Flashpoints there is a cinematic transition that happens as a part of the hyperspace jump, it was an issue within that animation which would cause the crash. We were able to isolate the root cause within that cinematic and address it.

-eric

HA.

So much for Darth Wicked blaming people space-barring!

Thank you Eric!

Shame. From what I had been able to gather, it happened usually when someone spammed the space bar. If everyone behaved and went for the cinematic approach, they'd have no issues.
No, it's just people's systems choking on the hyperspace jump animations for whatever reason.

Spacebarring causes DC's in those FPs instead, in my experience, but not full CTDs (based on group member feedback).

edit:

Oops. Beaten by... everyone, haha. Well, for posterity I leave this post to the world.

Edited by SW_display_name

Now we only need a date of all those lovely fixes to be implemented. "Bring us the patch Eric Musco-nobi. You are our only hope" :)

Ummm...

Hey folks!

As I am sure you have seen from Tait's posts, there are quite a few high visibility bug fixes coming in Game Update 2.7.1 which is coming next Tuesday, April 29th. I wanted to tell you about one of the best, as it is something I know folks have been waiting for.[...snip...]

Hey folks,

-eric

Glad you guys finally managed to identify what was causing the bug in the animation. It was "known" (with at least 95% confidence) for some time that it is the reason why the crash happens.

I guess everyone missed the part where they didn't say they were going to fix the HM DF/DP bugs. Thanks BW

they said in many other threads that those bugs are being fixed in 2.7.1 the same day they apply this update.....

If yes good times the number of errors by the 7.1 Patsch be fixed, but I hope Bioware the error with the "long pieces of armor and weapons" fix times that look from many gliders (eg under vehicles or out of the closed slider out to seen) Edited by D_A_R_K_Y

Hows about you guys start working on a fix for how long it's taking you to fix crap.

Here's a hint: 3 weeks for a bug that nearly breaks a whole OP is 2 weeks too long. If that OP had started dropping too many credits per trash mob, you guys would have blown all the tanks for emergency surface and hot fixed the ***** same day.

Glad to hear this is FINALLY getting fixed.

Yeah, Finally!!! This is a bug that has plagued only my most powerful computer (one with dual Video Cards SLI) where my ASUS ROG gaming laptop rarely has it. This bug is at least a year old, figured it had earned "feature" status in the game. Squashing a bug that is that mature, must take large boots.:p

Edited by DakotaDoc