Flashpoint Crash Fix Incoming - 2.7.1

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks!

As I am sure you have seen from Tait's posts, there are quite a few high visibility bug fixes coming in Game Update 2.7.1 which is coming next Tuesday, April 29th. I wanted to tell you about one of the best, as it is something I know folks have been waiting for.

In Game Update 2.7.1 we have a fix in place which should greatly help in reducing the "crash to desktop" that you see sometimes when completing Black Talon, The Esseles, Boarding Party, and the Foundry. As with any fix, we will continue to monitor it closely to see if the issue is still occurring. However, it is looking like a really solid fix and you should see far less instances of crashing, if you see any at all.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Shame. From what I had been able to gather, it happened usually when someone spammed the space bar. If everyone behaved and went for the cinematic approach, they'd have no issues.

No its happened plenty times to me via a solo run of either black talon or esseles with no space bars in between.

Shame. From what I had been able to gather, it happened usually when someone spammed the space bar. If everyone behaved and went for the cinematic approach, they'd have no issues.

Plus how many times can you run through the same Fp before you memorize every line and have tried every convo option? Spacebar through the speech is the only way to stay sane.

No its happened plenty times to me via a solo run of either black talon or esseles with no space bars in between.

I should clarify: It doesn't matter if it was you or anyone else spamming the space bar.

I did it fairly often to a friend of mine who was plagued by this issue, during the initial conversation with Officer Martos at the beginning of the Foundry. Not saying there wasn't anything else going on but from my experience with it, which was considerable, it usually came down to that.

You think it is a shame they are fixing bugs?

That just beggars belief. I've read some pretty dumb comments on these pages over the years, but that just about takes the cake.

Because I wanted to experiment in trying out the workarounds without ruining someone else's game, I have gone into those instances alone to test them out, knowing my new PC was susceptible to these crashes (my old one wasn't for some reason). Guess what, they still crash when it is only me, and nobody is spamming anything.

And to the team: Thank you. Your efforts may not exactly be timely, but they are appreciated.

You think it is a shame they are fixing bugs?

That just beggars belief. I've read some pretty dumb comments on these pages over the years, but that just about takes the cake.

Because I wanted to experiment in trying out the workarounds without ruining someone else's game, I have gone into those instances alone to test them out, knowing my new PC was susceptible to these crashes (my old one wasn't for some reason). Guess what, they still crash when it is only me, and nobody is spamming anything.

And to the team: Thank you. Your efforts may not exactly be timely, but they are appreciated.

It was rather poor wording on my part. No need to play the role of an offended virgin or anything. :rolleyes:

Really? Because I have never had it happen to me, and I have done both, spam the hell out of the space bar, and watched the cinematics. Hell, for me, the convos are when I drink coffee to make sure I'm up to fulfilling my role in the FP, whether it's tanking, healing or dpsing. My then guildy crashed 6 times on Esseles, w/out spamming the space bar once.

I haven't had it happen to me, but I have seen it happen, thanks for the fix.

Not sure where you're getting this information.

I refer to you my recent bug report. I was the only one in the instance and didn't use spacebar. I was specifically running it to see the story. Crashed several times on conversation choices alone.

Trying to slyly blame the problems on impatient players is silly.

Not sure where you're getting this information.

I refer to you my recent bug report. I was the only one in the instance and didn't use spacebar. I was specifically running it to see the story. Crashed several times on conversation choices alone.

Trying to slyly blame the problems on impatient players is silly.

You're trying too hard.

First, I didn't try to blame anyone, especially when as mentioned here...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7369852&postcount=7

I was the one spamming the space bar. :rolleyes:

Regardless, I guess that when I said "what I had been able to gather" and "usually" wasn't clear enough for some people. English is not my native language truth be told but I doubt my writing is bad to the point where it's nearly unintelligible.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

You're trying too hard.

First, I didn't try to blame anyone, especially when as mentioned here...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7369852&postcount=7

I was the one spamming the space bar. :rolleyes:

Regardless, I guess that when I said "what I had been able to gather" and "usually" wasn't clear enough for some people. English is not my native language truth be told but I doubt my writing is bad to the point where it's nearly unintelligible.

I really think it's you that's trying too hard. First it's this:

...and then it's this:

I should clarify: It doesn't matter if it was you or anyone else spamming the space bar.

I did it fairly often to a friend of mine who was plagued by this issue, during the initial conversation with Officer Martos at the beginning of the Foundry. Not saying there wasn't anything else going on but from my experience with it, which was considerable, it usually came down to that.

Both of which place the blame squarely on space bar spamming. Yes, you try to waffle it a bit, but you're "considerable experience", paraphrased, although you can see it's bolded in the quote above, says it comes down to space bar spamming. It's really hard to not read you saying it's all on the space bar spammers, when you specifically state they'd have no problems if they didn't do it.

I really think it's you that's trying too hard. First it's this:

...and then it's this:

Both of which place the blame squarely on space bar spamming. Yes, you try to waffle it a bit, but you're "considerable experience", paraphrased, although you can see it's bolded in the quote above, says it comes down to space bar spamming. It's really hard to not read you saying it's all on the space bar spammers, when you specifically state they'd have no problems if they didn't do it.

Yet again... :rolleyes:

Which part of "what I had been able to gather" and "usually" don't you understand? It's not me who's trying too hard NOT to read what has been stated previously, it would seem.

Incorrect. It happens on the hyperspace jump. Doesn't matter what others are doing. The work-around is to alt-tab out before the jump and come back after.

Some might say that "behaving" is smashing the space-bar so we don't all have to waste time sitting through the same cinematics we've already seen 100's of times, especially in the cinematic-laden Esseles and Black Talon... and anything that loquacious annoyance of an emo Goth Revan talks in.

Incorrect. It happens on the hyperspace jump. Doesn't matter what others are doing. The work-around is to alt-tab out before the jump and come back after.

Some might say that "behaving" is smashing the space-bar so we don't all have to waste time sitting through the same cinematics we've already seen 100's of times, especially in the cinematic-laden Esseles and Black Talon... and anything that loquacious annoyance of an emo Goth Revan talks in.

Some might say that some people have some serious issues either reading or interpreting what has been stated repeatedly.

Yet again... :rolleyes:

Which part of "what I had been able to gather" and "usually" don't you understand? It's not me who's trying too hard NOT to read what has been stated previously, it would seem.

You are correct in assuming that reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication. So, go back, read the quotes I pulled from what you said again, and tell me how I'm supposed to think you're not saying "If you'd leave the space bar alone in cinematics, you wouldn't have any problems" when you specifically state:

Now, unless somebody else is posting on your account, you specifically state that the root cause is space bar spamming. I bolded it again, so you can see we're not jumping to conclusions, we're reading what you state the cause is, and refuting it.

The bug does not depend on spacebar.

It depends on whether the game is fullscreen (happens), minimized or windowed (doesn't).

Windowed doesn't help. Last time I ran the Esseles I ran it in windowed mode because I heard the same thing. Didn't help, I crashed at the same place - just as the hyperspace transition starts.

I haven't ran it since then, so haven't tried minimized. But hopefully with this fix the next time I run it I won't have to worry about it.

Some might say that some people have some serious issues either reading or interpreting what has been stated repeatedly.

Well, I appreciate you clarifying your point.

Whether or not you intended it this way, your first post came off as a snarky criticism of other players. It stated in no uncertain terms that if we were to just "behave", we'd have no issues.

You are correct in assuming that reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication. So, go back, read the quotes I pulled from what you said again, and tell me how I'm supposed to think you're not saying "If you'd leave the space bar alone in cinematics, you wouldn't have any problems" when you specifically state:

I've already read them but unlike you, I'm not ignoring some of the words or the context to suit my particular needs.

Now, unless somebody else is posting on your account, you specifically state that the root cause is space bar spamming. I bolded it again, so you can see we're not jumping to conclusions, we're reading what you state the cause is, and refuting it.

So...

Do the words in bold, given said context, mean a different thing altogether in the particular dialect you're using? Again, trying to hard.

Well, I appreciate you clarifying your point.

Whether or not you intended it this way, your first post came off as a snarky criticism of other players. It stated in no uncertain terms that if we were to just "behave", we'd have no issues.

Again, kinda complicated seeing that I was the one doing the space bar spamming. Doing half of Foundry twenty five times in a single evening, for the sake of obtaining the Meatbag title was no small feat.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Windowed doesn't help. Last time I ran the Esseles I ran it in windowed mode because I heard the same thing. Didn't help, I crashed at the same place - just as the hyperspace transition starts.

I haven't ran it since then, so haven't tried minimized. But hopefully with this fix the next time I run it I won't have to worry about it.

From my own experience with this bug, windowed mode would be guaranteed to cause the crash, not avoid it.

Going full screen (NOT "full screen windowed", which is my usual setting) would let me avoid the crash by alt+tabbing out. I suspect the difference is that in full screen windowed mode, the graphics are still rendering in the background -- you can't actually "minimize" it.

Spacebarring at the correct time before the hyperspace jump could also avoid the problem, but it seemed a little hit and miss for me (or maybe my timing is bad).

Either way, glad it's getting fixed and these workarounds will hopefully become moot!