Opt-out of DOUBLE XP

Jrea

Why are you turning this into a debate, there is nothing to argue about

I'm beginning to think it is not worth discussing with him the merits of my not wanting double xp. The reasons for it and the solutions have been mentioned frequently and well elsewhere, but he can't seem to understand them and so they therefore do not exist.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm beginning to think it is not worth discussing with him the merits of my not wanting double xp. The reasons for it and the solutions have been mentioned frequently and well elsewhere, but he can't seem to understand them and so they therefore do not exist.

I've only heard from one person anything that doesn't equate to "I just don't want it because my mind makes me think it's bad" or some similar nonsense.

But please if you do have a legit issue that you cannot solve yourself via a few mouse clicks and for 0 credits, I'm all ears.

People who want the change should be able to articulate a reasonable, tangible benefit to the change, shouldn't they?

I would say No, because to my knowledge no forum member has the position nor the authority to determine what would be a reasonable tangible benefit to the change.

Bioware makes that decision.

If someone wants to try and change YOUR mind they need to do so. But they certainly do NOT need to meet your expectations, nor does not meeting your expectations with respect to what you find as credible mean they suggestion has more or less merit.

In fact it means next to nothing. All of our opinions, including mine, mean next to nothing IMO.

That is the only real reasonable tangible contention in this discussion IMO.

I find it odd that folks would argue the point with you. You have every right to view the suggestion as you see fit, and it is rather silly to try and change that view.

I would point out, however, it is pretty obvious to me, at least in this thread that not many folks agree with your assumed view.

Edited by LordArtemis

I would say No, because to my knowledge no forum member has the position nor the authority to determine what would be a reasonable tangible benefit to the change.

If someone wants to try and change YOUR mind they need to do so. But they certainly do NOT need to meet your expectations, nor does not meeting your expectations with respect to what you find as credible mean they suggestion has more or less merit.

In fact it means next to nothing. All of our opinions, including mine, mean next to nothing IMO.

I find it odd that folks would argue the point with you. You have every right to view the suggestion as you see fit, and it is rather silly to try and change that view.

I would point out, however, it is pretty obvious to me, at least in this thread that not many folks agree with your assumed view.

If someone can't convince me, a person who doesn't have to go to managers who tend not to want to spend money and convince them to spend money to do the work, that the work is necessary, how are they going to convince the guys that have to convince their managers to spend the money?

Exactly.

The only reason needed is "It prevents me from playing the game in my normal manner - the way I enjoy most." That is all the reasoning or explanation needed.

If someone can't convince me, a person who doesn't have to go to managers who tend not to want to spend money and convince them to spend money to do the work, that the work is necessary, how are they going to convince the guys that have to convince their managers to spend the money?

The same way any thing in any and every game has ever been implemented. Pure numbers is never, and has never been, the absolute reason to do or not to implement something in a game - there are many other factors that are considered.

I don't believe you could realistically set yourself as the bellweather standard in all fairness. That is not meant to be some kind of indication your opinion is not important....it is certainly at least as important as anyone elses here with respect to the discussion at hand, or just as unimportant depending on how you look at it.

My point was that you had your reasons to oppose this idea. I felt it was folly to attempt to change your opinion. The idea either has merit or does not, and that determination is made by Bioware IMO, not the community or it's members. Your opposing opinion, in my eyes, is exactly the kind of discourse that is healthy in this sort of discussion.

That does not mean popular demand does not have an influence, but we as individuals likely have little sway.

Edited by LordArtemis

Pretty sure that response is gonna be "no, that would be a waste of our time"

How much of their time could it possibly waste? And I've been told they are becoming "player-first", with their new CEO, this would be the perfect opportunity to show it.

Edited by LeglessChair

:jawa_biggrin::rak_grin::D

This post delivers.

:sy_lightside: :sy_lightside: :sy_lightside: :sy_lightside: :sy_lightside:

Ahh yes, that was a classic. However, it is a poor analogy in this case. An item such as real world money can not really be equated to a gaming industry feature such as Double Experience points. Money is a necessity of living in the real world. One might just as be effective as saying "Double Spinach Bonus". Some people may jump at the deal to get twice the amount of spinach with their meal. Others most certainly will pass on that offer.

Edited by TravelersWay

Ahh yes, that was a classic. However, it is a poor analogy in this case. An item such as real world money can not really be equated to a gaming industry feature such as Double Experience points. Money is a necessity of living in the real world. One might just as be effective as saying "Double Spinach Bonus". Some people may jump at the deal to get twice the amount of spinach with their meal. Others most certainly will pass on that offer.

If you like spinach, why wouldn't twice as much be a good thing?

If you don't like spinach, wouldn't you argue for getting none instead of only getting the regular amount?

So if you don't like the spinach, why aren't you asking for no spinach instead of asking for a regular portion of spinach?

Because it is an imperfect anaology. However, it is one more suiting because it ends up being about personal preferences and personal playstyle in the end. XP is simply the means of progression in the game. Certainly there are other means to progress a character in a game, but this one is the root mechanic in SWTOR, therefore it is necessary to have some amount of it required. The amount that one desires, however, becomes the preference based upon how one enjoys the game. Like spinach, the minimum amount necessary is all I want with my meal.

Now, if you want to talk money. I could actually offer up at least one example that comes to mind where having less money was actually beneficial.

Edited by TravelersWay

Not everyone has to each spinach, it's a choice. Or at least it should be.

As I understand things, you don't get to opt out of Spinach... er, XP entirely, as that would open the door to certain PvP exploits. I'm unfamiliar with the specific exploits, but I trust the PvP players who say it could happen.

So, yes, you have to eat some spinach. In fact, you get so much spinach as a subscriber that you can't help but to overpower opponents just like Popeye overpowers Brutus after a opening a nice can of Spinach.

As I understand things, you don't get to opt out of Spinach... er, XP entirely, as that would open the door to certain PvP exploits. I'm unfamiliar with the specific exploits, but I trust the PvP players who say it could happen.

So, yes, you have to eat some spinach. In fact, you get so much spinach as a subscriber that you can't help but to overpower opponents just like Popeye overpowers Brutus after a opening a nice can of Spinach.

What exploits

The thing about analogies and metaphors is that they aren't exactly the situation they are analogies or metaphors for, but similar enough that they are analogies or metaphors.

If this situation were nothing like that commercial, then these threads wouldn't remind anyone of that commercial.

Edited by DarthTHC

Personally, I'm happy to be leveling faster since my only real interest is to play though the class stories. I've also found the core planet stories to be pretty good, but the side quests are generally extremely boring and I want to avoid them as much as possible. However, it isn't really that unreasonable to give people greater control over their leveling; it isn't like this hasn't been done in other games. City of Heroes let you turn EXP gain off entirely, so you could keep your leveling speed down if you wanted to do more things at a low level before progressing.

This would be even more useful in SWTOR than it was in CoH because it could enable two people who play together to keep in sync leveling if one plays more than the other, where CoH would just let you adjust your effective level up or down to the other player's level so you never needed to worry about that. I still can't believe SWTOR doesn't have some sort of equivalent to the sidekick/exemplar system; that and a lack of difficulty slider killed any possibility I would play this with RL friends, so I'm mostly just treating SWTOR as 8 single player RPGs with some interspersed PvP.

And yes, keeping yourself at 29 or 54 would allow you to stay in a WZ where you have an advantage over lower level players. It would also make the lower level WZ queues pop faster, and if a significant portion of the PvP population decided to stay in the low level queues, that would probably be a hint that they're more fun than the high level PvP ones. If you like the 10-29 PvP queue, it would be kind of nice to be able to keep a character there so you could play it whenever instead of having to keep starting new ones that outlevel it.

As for difficulty, I am a software engineer, so I am fully aware that something like this can end up being far more difficult than it appears to implement. It probably isn't worth doing a major code restructuring if there isn't one good location to apply some sort of flag to XP calculations. I feel like there probably should be one spot in code that handles adding XP to a character where a flag could be checked and XP disabled, but if that is not the case (and I can think of a couple reasons why it might not be), this could easily be more trouble than it is worth to implement.