The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware's Korriban VS Christian Taylor's Moriband VS the Fans' Wookiepedia?

HiddenPalm

[Please no "one sentence posts" on how Moriband is stupid and that it will always be Koriban. The entire planet already knows how we the fans feel about this. It was obvious seeing all the comments in every article that covered the story. We made our point pretty crystal clear, Korriban will never die.]

For the very few who have no idea what this is about. The guy who wrote the latest Teen Wolf (not the 80's one) renamed Korriban to Moriband in the last Clone Wars episode, Sacrifice, and it was approved by Disney's Dark lord, Robert Iger. I'm not clear as to how easily George Lucas himself actually approved as well or if he was simply told of how Robert Iger wants it, as he hasn't said a word either, nor does he any longer own Star Wars. George Lucas is an employee. The story of Sacrifice and the previous 2 episodes were amazing, giving us one last experience with George at the helm. But we all know he didn't have full control, because of this name change, which is part of Disney's program to disregard the Expanded Universe for FULL CONTROL over the lore. Perhaps it was a reminder to Lucas and to the fans, that Star Wars has a new master, Robert Iger. We saw that "reminder" again, when Kathleen Kennedy who wanted to prolong the production of the new Star Wars movies for a better quality experience, was told to do as she was told by Star Wars owner, the billionaire Robert Iger, who claimed a postponement would clash with his marketing strategy, or you know make him think/work harder.

On the other end of the spectrum, Bioware has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO quiet about this. Even when they answer questions on twitch, this one gets ignored hard, revealing some kind of secret gag order from EA's Larry Probst, Andrew Wilson and Peter Moore. It appears as if everyone is frightened pink of Robert Iger's wrath.

I would be too.

Every single day hundreds and hundreds of Star Wars fans on each of the 17 servers (amounting to probably 10's of thousands daily), live, die and rise again on Korriban, because of Bioware. Even more had read the endless literature and graphic novels on Korriban. So it's no surprise that when this was announced, it got bashed by endless fans.

I called it "Bioware's Korriban", because after Dark Horse renders Star Wars to Disney's Marvel as ordered by Robert Iger, Bioware will be the very last enterprise to hold on to the traditional lore of the Expanded Universe. As long as SWTOR stands, so to will Korriban.

Wookiepedia (fan supported/contributed/edited) now frames it as a planet which had different names in different eras. But is that what Taylor was thinking when he renamed the planet? Did Taylor even care? I find this view interesting and more plausible. But is this Wookiepedia stepping in to save Taylor's ***, or is it simply the fans trying to make sense of it all?

Or is it something more ... rebellious.

Who has the power here? EA's Bioware, Robert Iger's Christian Taylor, or the fan made Wookiepedia? [George Lucas took 4 billion dollars from Robert Iger to no longer have power here.] This is a very key question. I hope people see this. Because who ever holds the power here, holds to power as to what is Canon in Star Wars.

I REPEAT: Who ever holds the power here, holds the power as to what is Canon in Star Wars.

Korriban, known as Pesegam during the reign of Xim, and also known as Moraband by the time of the Clone Wars, was the sole planet in the Horuset system, located across the galaxy from Koros Major. It was the original homeworld of the Sith species and a sacred planet for the Sith Order, housing the tombs for many ancient and powerful Dark Lords of the Sith, and containing immense dark side power. - Wookiepedia

Lets get the facts straight:

The reason Korriban was renamed Moraband was because George Lucas thought Korriban sounded to much like Coruscant (I know) so he changed it. Simple as. Nothing more to it. Lucas was not under the influence of Darth Iger or something. Leland Chee has told use however that the canon resolution to this will likely be that it was just another name for the same planet, it is quite clear however is that Korriban and Moraband are the same planet.

EDIT: Here is the official word from StarWars.com:

At the start of story development, the Sith world was called Korriban, but George Lucas preferred to change its name to Moraband. A world so ancient could have been known by different names in different eras.

So calm yourself, and put that tin foil hat away. Also take note of the fan service given to TOR players in that episode when Yoda visits a Sith Academy that looks very reminiscent of the Sith Academy with see in SWTOR.

Edited by Beniboybling

Lets get the facts straight:

The reason Korriban was renamed Moraband was because George Lucas thought Korriban sounded to much like Coruscant (I know) so he changed it. Simple as. Nothing more to it. Lucas was not under the influence of Darth Iger or something. Leland Chee has told use however that the canon resolution to this will likely be that it was just another name for the same planet, it is quite clear however is that Korriban and Moraband are the same planet.

EDIT: Here is the official word from StarWars.com:

At the start of story development, the Sith world was called Korriban, but George Lucas preferred to change its name to Moraband. A world so ancient could have been known by different names in different eras.

So calm yourself, and put that tin foil hat away. Also take note of the fan service given to TOR players in that episode when Yoda visits a Sith Academy that looks very reminiscent of the Sith Academy with see in SWTOR.

Thanks for responding. Please share a link where George is saying Korriban sounds too much like Coruscant. I read about this in forums earlier but no one shared a link. They were even saying how Dave Filoni protested the name change himself. I would still like a link. A search at Starwars.com for "Moriband" gives 0 results. A search for Korriban at StarWars.com shows 10 results.

StarWars.com definitely had to respond to the fan outrage. They wouldn't have responded had the fans not been outraged. All of the Star Wars focused journalists except for the crew at SWTORStrategies were saying the name was changed and that Moriband is "official" and that Korriban is no more. The media and the outrage happened, regardless of my tinfoil hat. The "official" responses came after.

In short, it is either what Wookiepedia is saying, that it had different names in different eras, or its what StarWars.com is saying that George Lucas changed it because he didn't like the name. I'm not really buying the lather, as he himself approved endless, endless literature using Korriban.

The point of this thread, is not what is a better name, Korriban or Moriband, as that is a pointless debate, thanks to Wookiepedia. The point of the thread is, who has control here, based on this situation. This is a look back at what just recently happened in retrospect. Wookiepedia says it had different names in different eras, which is entirely different from what 99% of Star Wars journalists were saying and what Taylor wrote.

You can be useful by finding out who said that first, Wookiepedia or StarWars.com. And please provide links. Thanks.

Edited by HiddenPalm

Thanks for responding. Please share a link where George is saying Korriban sounds too much like Coruscant. I read about this in forums earlier but no one shared a link. They were even saying how Dave Filoni protested the name change himself. I would still like a link. A search at Starwars.com for "Moriband" gives 0 results. A search for Korriban at StarWars.com shows 10 results.

StarWars.com definitely had to respond to the fan outrage. They wouldn't have responded had the fans not been outraged. All of the Star Wars focused journalists except for the crew at SWTORStrategies were saying the name was changed and that Moriband is "official" and that Korriban is no more. The media and the outrage happened, regardless of my tinfoil hat. The "official" responses came after.

In short, it is either what Wookiepedia is saying, that it had different names in different eras, or its what StarWars.com is saying that George Lucas changed it because he didn't like the name. I'm not really buying the lather, as he himself approved endless, endless literature using Korriban.

The point of this thread, is not what is a better name, Korriban or Moriband, as that is a pointless debate, thanks to Wookiepedia. The point of the thread is, who has control here, based on this situation. This is a look back at what just recently happened in retrospect. Wookiepedia says it had different names in different eras, which is entirely different from what 99% of Star Wars journalists were saying and what Taylor wrote.

You can be useful by finding out who said that first, Wookiepedia or StarWars.com. And please provide links. Thanks.

It was clarified in a Q&A session from an exclusive screening of the Lost Missions at Lucasfilm HQ in San Francisco. Here is a quote from an article on the screening:

During a meeting with George Lucas, Lucas stated that he felt “Korriban” sounded too much like “Coruscant,” and wanted the name changed. This was discussed a bit in the Q&A, when Leland Chee suggested that often planets can have multiple names, and that may be a way to rectify this in the forthcoming canon. In general, it seemed to be a change that was completely out of the hands of Dave Filoni and was entirely a George Lucas decision.

Wookieepedia edited the article on Korriban in light of this, see the Behind the Scenes section:

George Lucas preferred the name "Moraband" to Korriban during story development, leading the episode "Sacrifice" to refer to the planet as Moraband. The episode guide's trivia gallery clarified the issue, stating that Korriban has had multiple names throughout its history. As Korriban is referred to as such in material that is later in terms of in-universe chronology, this article retains the planet's name of Korriban.

Journalists are just people with opinions, never assume that they are privy to information you are not unless they explicitly say so. 9/10 on the Moraband issue they were just spewing their own interpretations on the matter and passing it off as fact. Especially in regards to Star Wars I'd advise paying attention only to official statements.

Also remember that George made TCW is personal project, and had a hand in all of the episodes. It was also a project started long before the Disney deal (its possible the Lost Missions were made before the deal) and they never really played much of a part in it aside from effectively cancelling the show and replacing it with Rebels.

Nor is this anything knew from George, despite his genius he can be incredibly fickle and often forces major changes like this during the development, regardless of the current state of the EU, on a personal whim.

P.S. Its spelt Moraband, not Moriband. And honestly, I don't think we'll be seeing that name crop up again.

It was clarified in a Q&A session from an exclusive screening of the Lost Missions at Lucasfilm HQ in San Francisco. Here is a quote from an article on the screening:

During a meeting with George Lucas, Lucas stated that he felt “Korriban” sounded too much like “Coruscant,” and wanted the name changed. This was discussed a bit in the Q&A, when Leland Chee suggested that often planets can have multiple names, and that may be a way to rectify this in the forthcoming canon. In general, it seemed to be a change that was completely out of the hands of Dave Filoni and was entirely a George Lucas decision.

Wookieepedia edited the article on Korriban in light of this, see the Behind the Scenes section:

George Lucas preferred the name "Moraband" to Korriban during story development, leading the episode "Sacrifice" to refer to the planet as Moraband. The episode guide's trivia gallery clarified the issue, stating that Korriban has had multiple names throughout its history. As Korriban is referred to as such in material that is later in terms of in-universe chronology, this article retains the planet's name of Korriban.

Journalists are just people with opinions, never assume that they are privy to information you are not unless they explicitly say so. 9/10 on the Moraband issue they were just spewing their own interpretations on the matter and passing it off as fact. Especially in regards to Star Wars I'd advise paying attention only to official statements.

Also remember that George made TCW is personal project, and had a hand in all of the episodes. It was also a project started long before the Disney deal (its possible the Lost Missions were made before the deal) and they never really played much of a part in it aside from effectively cancelling the show and replacing it with Rebels.

Nor is this anything knew from George, despite his genius he can be incredibly fickle and often forces major changes like this during the development, regardless of the current state of the EU, on a personal whim.

P.S. Its spelt Moraband, not Moriband. And honestly, I don't think we'll be seeing that name crop up again.

Cool, thanks for the further background. I didn't know about the Q&A, just finished moving. The lost missions were definitely mostly made before Disney, so was a big chunk of the original script for Episode 7 which is now scrapped.

Though, the name change I hypothesize came after Disney, because if I remember correctly, Feloni was planning two more seasons, before it was canceled with season 6 already mostly done. A season of Clone Wars is 22 episodes and the Lost Missions is only 13 episodes. This tells me that it was heavily edited (with allot left out), post Disney. I imagine that's where the name change happened. But that's just speculation on my part.

On Moriband popping up again, I have a feeling it will in the new movies. The new antagonist has to come from somewhere. I'm not buying George's reason that it sounds too much like Coruscant. I think it has more to do with it sounding too much like Coruscant in the movies if that's the case, another planet I think will also be in the coming movies. Folks just don't want to reveal too much about the movies, being they're probably still writing the new script for it. If these two planets and probably also the fall of the Jedi in Yavin IV (maybe) are mentioned allot in the same movie, then perhaps the names sounding too much alike would be a problem.

Say Coruscant Korriban Korriban Corusant 5 times.

By the way, I still say the fans have power over the lore, because no one would have said a word about the change or why it was done, had there not been an initial planetary wide outrage among the fans. And we should always, always remember that - all of us, especially Robert Iger.

Cool, thanks for the further background. I didn't know about the Q&A, just finished moving. The lost missions were definitely mostly made before Disney, so was a big chunk of the original script for Episode 7 which is now scrapped.

Though, the name change I hypothesize came after Disney, because if I remember correctly, Feloni was planning two more seasons, before it was canceled with season 6 already mostly done. A season of Clone Wars is 22 episodes and the Lost Missions is only 13 episodes. This tells me that it was heavily edited (with allot left out), post Disney. I imagine that's where the name change happened. But that's just speculation on my part.

On Moriband popping up again, I have a feeling it will in the new movies. The new antagonist has to come from somewhere. I'm not buying George's reason that it sounds too much like Coruscant. I think it has more to do with it sounding too much like Coruscant in the movies if that's the case, another planet I think will also be in the coming movies. Folks just don't want to reveal too much about the movies, being they're probably still writing the new script for it. If these two planets and probably also the fall of the Jedi in Yavin IV (maybe) are mentioned allot in the same movie, then perhaps the names sounding too much alike would be a problem.

Say Coruscant Korriban Korriban Corusant 5 times.

By the way, I still say the fans have power over the lore, because no one would have said a word about the change or why it was done, had there not been an initial planetary wide outrage among the fans. And we should always, always remember that - all of us, especially Robert Iger.

(clear throat) (blow in Kazoo to test key)

Istanbul was Constantinople

now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople

been a long time gone, Constantinople

Why did Constantinople get the works?

That's nobody's business but the Tuuurks!

In other words, while it's interesting to know the origins behind a decision like this, anybody trying to suggest this particular change is a change to canon might be encouraged to look at a map of Europe from 1000 years ago and compare it to a map of Europe today. Honestly, it's -weird- that so many worlds/cities are so consistent with the film era. I almost tend to think of TOR as an alternate version of the Clone Wars era, everything is so damn familiar. I feel like they missed an opportunity to show how the galaxy got the way it was in the films, and part of that is having the names and conditions of places change over time.

Imagine if Coruscant was actually just a single, sprawling metropolis on one part of a planet whose name would be cast aside as the city grew to encompass everything. Imagine if Tatooine had been a verdant world facing a major ecological crisis, showing how different it used to be, but also speaking to the future of the world we're more familiar with. It's a -thousand- -years- until the period of the clone wars, and honestly, we all know the Empire loses this fight. you think a Republic-occupied Korriban would just be left exactly as it is for a thousand years?

Honestly, I think the name opens up opportunities for storytelling. I think more inconsistencies between the KOTOR world and the world of the films would open up opportunities for storytelling, and I mean inconsistencies other than calling "Bacta" "Kolto". I can appreciate wanting to keep the world familiar, but seriously, it's all in the execution.

See what annoy me is not just that but the fact that they are changing deep things in the lore like the Tomb of Darth Bane bieng in korriban but those who read the books know that it isnt true and know how darth bane died besides they showed that the Jedi didnt know/ believe that a force user(light side i think) doesnt/couldnt become a force spirit but we all saw how we have force spirits left and right in the books and the game it self...

iam just afraid that JJ or anyone else would go far to change fact about Jedi and Sith too...

(clear throat) (blow in Kazoo to test key)

In other words, while it's interesting to know the origins behind a decision like this, anybody trying to suggest this particular change is a change to canon might be encouraged to look at a map of Europe from 1000 years ago and compare it to a map of Europe today. Honestly, it's -weird- that so many worlds/cities are so consistent with the film era. I almost tend to think of TOR as an alternate version of the Clone Wars era, everything is so damn familiar. I feel like they missed an opportunity to show how the galaxy got the way it was in the films, and part of that is having the names and conditions of places change over time.

Imagine if Coruscant was actually just a single, sprawling metropolis on one part of a planet whose name would be cast aside as the city grew to encompass everything. Imagine if Tatooine had been a verdant world facing a major ecological crisis, showing how different it used to be, but also speaking to the future of the world we're more familiar with. It's a -thousand- -years- until the period of the clone wars, and honestly, we all know the Empire loses this fight. you think a Republic-occupied Korriban would just be left exactly as it is for a thousand years?

Honestly, I think the name opens up opportunities for storytelling. I think more inconsistencies between the KOTOR world and the world of the films would open up opportunities for storytelling, and I mean inconsistencies other than calling "Bacta" "Kolto". I can appreciate wanting to keep the world familiar, but seriously, it's all in the execution.

As to Kolto, they are 2 separate substances.

• 2 months later...

Late to this thread but was surprised there was an actual season 6. I was under the impression that the season 5 having less episodes and Asoka leaving were it's closure seeing how she started it with the cw's movie.

Moraband is for lack of a better description a far far less interesting word than Korriban. Sounds awkward and clumsy , give me more of a rubber band please. Korriban sounds like the source of something ominous core - Korr and ban as in many are not allowed there.

As a follower of Star wars since 1977 before it was episode IV (an addon in 1978) I have found that everything George Lucas has done to the the Star Wars universe was to merely turn things on their heads and annoy the people who were most supportive and passionate about. This happened around 1995 when the Smithsonian opened the Star Wars exhibit in the Air and Space Museum. You could tell Lucas had nothing left to offer Motion Pictures other than hijack and take back Star Wars from the fans.

His renaming of a planet of such prominence in the TOR universe shows he has probably never bothered with getting to know any of the fan fiction, canon, role playing, or any other content that kept his creation alive and growing since it ended in 1984. Ask yourself was KOTOR better than the Prequels? If you answered KOTOR then you have bruised the ego of George and his petty revenge is to rename the main bad guy planet in TOR.

George, should Dromund Kaas be renamed to Slowman Boss? Of course you think it should.

Yep ,that's the only reason i am able to live with this,instead of nerd raging whenever someone mentions the issue.

The name was changed *in-universe* meaning both Moraband and Korriban is correct.

Now... obviously it goes without saying that people like me will call the planet Korriban until they drop dead.

Edited by Kaedusz

• 6 months later...
I did research since I've been curious as to what the name "Korriban" actually meant while "Moraband" meant "decaying" or "dying" in Latin (from what I've gathered). Turns out the "Korri" in "Korriban" sounds pretty close to the word "corrupt" & some translations & research points to the German word "korrupt" (yes, it's actually spelled that way). Another word with something similar to the "ban" is "verdorben" which translates to "tainted". So if put together, "Korruben", with Basic changing it to "Korriban", it sounds appropriate for the ancient Sith homeworld likely in the Sith's heyday (corrupt and tainted). If I have gotten anything wrong or missed on any translations or anything, someone please let me know. Edited by DeralElfor
mistake

What kills me is people are missing what this thread is most illustrative of. Ever since Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney, and then the canon reset, people have been harbingers of doom that Disney will destroy Lucas's vision. Lucas has shown time and time again that in terms of names, dates even the very nature of specific characters, he has NO solid vision. The person who most consistently has changed Canon on the fan base is HIM.

In Episode IV Vader killed Anakin. It didn't become Anakin = Vader until he was writing the final screenplays for Episode V. This game us the positively painful "it all depends on your point of view" exchange in episode VI. Midichlorians didn't come to his mind until after Episode IV was on screen...until then it was firmly based in the mystical/pseudo religious mindset that we see in those first 3 movies.

Then when people point this out, because heaven forbid Lucas be this fast and loose, people demand quotes. It must be someone else!!! There was one reason for all the bizarre and twisted Canon rules. Because a minority of rapid fans demanded clarification. Lucas could have cared less really. All he cared about was that the EU not get in the way or contradict his personal works and movies, and of course that he also got his royalty checks for those works.

I'll use someone else who has written a similarly deep and beloved Universe (though he kept sole control). Tolkein. If you read the numerous lost tales, notes etc that his estate has published you see how Canon is never written in stone from the beginning. In some notes Orcs are actually the descendants of elves corrupted by Morgoth. Heck the original version of the Hobbit was changed after he wrote the Lord of the Rings. He changed the text of Bilbo's pivotal encounter with Gollum http://tolkien.cro.net/tolkien/changes.html. heck one web site even entitles this....how JRR Tolkien pulled a George Lucas on the Hobbit/ lol.

I'll use someone else who has written a similarly deep and beloved Universe (though he kept sole control). Tolkein. If you read the numerous lost tales, notes etc that his estate has published you see how Canon is never written in stone from the beginning. In some notes Orcs are actually the descendants of elves corrupted by Morgoth. Heck the original version of the Hobbit was changed after he wrote the Lord of the Rings. He changed the text of Bilbo's pivotal encounter with Gollum http://tolkien.cro.net/tolkien/changes.html. heck one web site even entitles this....how JRR Tolkien pulled a George Lucas on the Hobbit/ lol.

Good post. The only comment I have is that from their earliest conceptions the orcs & goblins were corrupted elves and that did not change through the iterations of the mythology. It survived all the way into LOTR, in fact I just happen to be reading the Two Towers again (for like the 10th time) and just went through a section where Treebeard describes orcs as corruptions of elves bred by the Great Darkness (Morgoth), as a way to show that trolls were made in mockery of ents. But other than that good post I think you're spot on with your comparisons.