2.7 and initial PvP gear purchases

ByeToWoW

I am reading that the relics are what people are suggesting to buy first. Can someone, in layman's terms, explain why this is better than going with weapons?

--Curious about the answer regarding already geared toons.

--Curious about an answer regarding a fresh 55 with no pvp gear.

I am reading that the relics are what people are suggesting to buy first. Can someone, in layman's terms, explain why this is better than going with weapons?

--Curious about the answer regarding already geared toons.

--Curious about an answer regarding a fresh 55 with no pvp gear.

For a 55 with no PvP gear:

PvP relics will provide the biggest boost in "utility" coming from PvE largely do to the fact that PvE relics do not work in PvP. At all. So you can think of it largely the same as running with no relics equipped (aside from the passive stat bonus) until you get the PvP versions.

Weapons are a weird trade off. the base damage is lower on the PvP version, but the expertise trade-off is designed to counteract that (especially with ((mal))functioning bolster).

Geared and upgrading:

Should be interesting come 2.7. Going from Obroan to Berserker the uprades are not as great for relics, so I think there could be a little bit more liberty to go with other pieces first (especially if they fill the bolster holes) whether it's armorings, relics, weapons, whatever rounds out your gear better.

Of course I'm sure someone who's crunched the new gear numbers would be more useful on the upgrade point.

If you already have Obroan relics then you want to spring for the new mainhand. The reason is that the new relics are only ten or so more stat points on a proc, which isn't much. However if you have conq relics then you want to get the relics first since they will be a massive upgrade.

If you have the obroan relics you get the mainhand/offhands since they are the largest upgrades since they grant more mainhand damage, tech/force power on top of the little bit of stat points.