The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Did the EU give too many characters Force Lightning?

Slowpokeking

Well, Maul was barely in one movie and I believe the commonly held idea is that Vader couldn't use force lightning because it would have destroyed the machines keeping him alive like at the end of Episode VI.

Maul clearly couldn't use it otherwise he would have baked Obi Wan with that. Also, quite a few Cyborg Sith in SWTOR could use Force Lightning.

In TotJ it was handled better, nobody uses Force Lightning, only a few high level Sith could use Force Blast.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Maul clearly couldn't use it otherwise he would have baked Obi Wan with that. Also, quite a few Cyborg Sith in SWTOR could use Force Lightning.

In TotJ it was handled better, nobody uses Force Lightning, only a few high level Sith could use Force Blast.

Considering SWTOR is a video game they don't really follow lore that's the only reason cyborgs can use lighting in this game

Yes.

The point where it went off the rails was Plo Koon.

Because once one single Jedi could bust out lightning, the grayside morons we waded through pre-launch went bananas. The Dark Side wasn't a THING. It wasn't EVIL to use lightning! Plo Koon!

It was to the point where I had to take a drink whenever anybody mentioned Mace Windu and his lightsaber style, or Plo Koon and his strange ability with the Force. I never logged off the pre-launch forums sober.

It's pretty much a staple dark side power, though. It's power varies depending on a number of things.

Vader couldn't use it but not because he wasn't strong in the Force. Maul's training and expertise was very focused on the saberstaff and martial arts. He didn't really get a chance to use lightning most of the time, and even when he did it makes sense that he prefers to stick with using his saber.

Also Nightsisters....WHAT.

depending on which nightsisters u are referring to (clone wars or novel) Mother Talzin was the only one seen using it and as leader of them i suppose it makes sence, as for novels its a tad more complex.

depending on which nightsisters u are referring to (clone wars or novel) Mother Talzin was the only one seen using it and as leader of them i suppose it makes sence, as for novels its a tad more complex.

I just kinda find it odd for them to use it really. :p Again though, this is more of an off and on thing where it irks me or doesn't. /Shrug

It's pretty much a staple dark side power, though. It's power varies depending on a number of things.

Vader couldn't use it but not because he wasn't strong in the Force. Maul's training and expertise was very focused on the saberstaff and martial arts. He didn't really get a chance to use lightning most of the time, and even when he did it makes sense that he prefers to stick with using his saber.

No, in the RotJ novel, the skill was described as very corrupted and powerful Force skill.

Most of the Dark Jedi.

Low rank Sith like Jadus' daughter.

Dark Jedi in video games, or are we talking about in novels/comics/etc.?

If it's just in games, like TOR, then I'm generally willing to chalk it up to the same sort of considerations that get made in that form of media so that you can be carrying 80 assault cannons around or have a smuggler getting hit with a lightsaber without losing a limb.

I agree it's a problem if a character in a novel or comic was, for example, a Jedi Padawan or Knight who fell to the Dark Side, but without any training then immediately started throwing lightning around with no explanation.

And I agree here, I don't mind the Nightsister order having learned how to use Force Lightning somewhere along the way, they're a society that has been steeped in the Dark Side after all. Just so long as it's primarily the high ranking "masters" who are using it, like Talzin or Gethzerion.

If an amateur, on the other hand, is throwing it around like a Sith Lord, then yeah, that can be an issue.

Edited by DarthDymond

Dark Jedi in video games, or are we talking about in novels/comics/etc.?

If it's just in games, like TOR, then I'm generally willing to chalk it up to the same sort of considerations that get made in that form of media so that you can be carrying 80 assault cannons around or have a smuggler getting hit with a lightsaber without losing a limb.

I agree it's a problem if someone was, for example, a Jedi Padawan or Knight who fell to the Dark Side, but without any training then immediately started throwing lightning around with no explanation.

And I agree here, I don't mind the Nightsister order having learned how to use Force Lightning somewhere along the way, they're a society that has been steeped in the Dark Side after all. Just so long as it's primarily the high ranking "masters" who are using it, like Talzin or Gethzerion.

If an amateur, on the other hand, is throwing it around like a Sith Lord, then yeah, that can be an issue.

Agree, most of the low rank Force user organization members, and most of the rogue Dark Jedi should not have it.

I was always under the impression that many abilities were simply innate, or not. KotOR makes a big deal of Bastila's Battle Meditation, and obviously in TOR you've got Jaesa's ability to "see" true alignment - both are things that, at least originally, were presented as skills that couldn't be learned, but were unique to the individual. Perhaps most if not all are indeed like that, with some simply being far more common than others.

I was always under the impression that many abilities were simply innate, or not. KotOR makes a big deal of Bastila's Battle Meditation, and obviously in TOR you've got Jaesa's ability to "see" true alignment - both are things that, at least originally, were presented as skills that couldn't be learned, but were unique to the individual. Perhaps most if not all are indeed like that, with some simply being far more common than others.

Well there's really two questions here:

1) Does it make sense in-universe for a character to have this ability? Which you might be able to explain away in most cases.

2) Does it work better as an element of the fiction if it's a special, fairly exclusive power throughout the meta-series that we only see once in a while with extremely powerful and evil characters? Which, maybe it would, but at least in the context of videogames that ship seems to have sailed a long time ago.