If the level capacity will go up, what will happen to our gear?

Babajista

Level will go up in November/December at the earliest most likely.

And last time it happened with RotHC, the former gear was still perfectly suitable for operations. So it is not like random green drops replacing your hard earned ops gear

Will it become useless?

And what happened the last time the level capacity went up?

the BIS gear became planetary coms worthy, and new items were added for crafting and a new set of progression gear became standard.

so basically the 69s will be what oricon gives, 72 drop down to basic comms, 78's become craftable and available for elite coms.

and the next level (probably 82) will be the new BIS. for the 78s new mats and schematics will be added.

If it's anything like RothC, basically:

All level 55 flashpoints will start dropping oriconian gear. Classic comms will be converted to planetary comms, or a new kind of "classic classic comms" while ultimates, elite and basic comms will be converted into classic comms, allowing players to buy oriconian gear for minimal effort, or maybe even dread-forged. Dread master gear (the new nightmare gear) will remain available from nightmare operations only. Arkanian/Black-Market and Underworld/Verpine will no longer be available, making their appearance shells become rarer over time and prized by a few nostalgics. But owners of the new expansion will be able to buy underworld mods for planetary commendations at level 55, making gearing up fresh 55s very quick.

Dread forged would then become the new baseline to start playing level 60 content such as hard mode flashpoints and story mode operations.

Of course, nothing says they'll do that again. :p

This thread is why I don't raid. I'm not a big RPer but I hate the idea of my hero being reduced to a fashion mogul. I get to max level then reroll a new toon.

Most of the people who raid, do so because it's fun to beat the challenges in a team environment. Not to get gear. There simply isn't enough gear dropping for that to be the motivation.

Why do you roll a new toon? Not for gear, right?

They are going to take it all away. You will login and your toon will be naked, and you will need to repurchase all of our gear from the cartel market.

True story.

I came here to post this. Except for the CM part.

Edited by Icebergy

Will it become useless?

you will go get new gear and that will be top dog until the next level raise brings in even newer gear

As for it being useless, I give old gear to companions

Helps their survivability allot

Most of the people who raid, do so because it's fun to beat the challenges in a team environment. Not to get gear. There simply isn't enough gear dropping for that to be the motivation.

So, you're saying that if there was no new gear to be had people would still raid?

So, you're saying that if there was no new gear to be had people would still raid?

My entire guild raids. None gives two sh...akes about gear. Yes, people would still do ops if they dropped no gear.

We're playing a game. It's supposed to be fun. Those who only push the levers to get the food pellets belong in a university lab.

My entire guild raids. None gives two sh...akes about gear. Yes, people would still do ops if they dropped no gear.

We're playing a game. It's supposed to be fun. Those who only push the levers to get the food pellets belong in a university lab.

I don't believe that for a second. Your guildies are probably decently geared or already geared if they are consistently raiding and that's why they aren't "giving a shake" about gear. Especially if your guild is not into progression. And if ops didn't drop gear then folks couldn't do progression. And progression is what many find fun because it is a harder and harder challenge that can only be completed by being appropriately geared.

We are playing a game, and part of the fun of games is achievement. I think you would find it very hard to point out a single game of which the consensus would describe as "fun" that did not provide some reward, be it a title, a level, an item, or a score.

What I find really humorous is you were the originator of a massive crafting post on how to make imaginary money (credits) in this game. Something you obviously chased, but now you're chastising players who prefer going after gear instead of money as if they are stupid (your words: "lab rats") and don't get the point of the game that only you are apparently privy. Back it down a notch. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dawginole

I don't believe that for a second. Your guildies are probably decently geared or already geared if they are consistently raiding and that's why they aren't "giving a shake" about gear. Especially if your guild is not into progression. And if ops didn't drop gear then folks couldn't do progression. And progression is what many find fun because it is a harder and harder challenge that can only be completed by being appropriately geared.

We are playing a game, and part of the fun of games is achievement. I think you would find it very hard to point out a single game of which the consensus would describe as "fun" that did not provide some reward, be it a title, a level, an item, or a score.

What I find really humorous is you were the originator of a massive crafting post on how to make imaginary money (credits) in this game. Something you obviously chased, but now you're chastising players who prefer going after gear instead of money as if they are stupid (your words: "lab rats") and don't get the point of the game that only you are apparently privy. Back it down a notch. :rolleyes:

I assumed that in this hypothetical world you proposed in which ops don't drop gear, there is an alternative method to obtaining gear to do ops. The notion that gear is necessary doesn't make its pursuit the reason to do ops. The reason to do ops is fun.

As you put it, part of the fun of the game is achievement. The achievement is beating the tough content. We do it for the achievement - that is the reward. The gear reward is just something else that happens along the way.

You mentioned my now deleted but outdated regardless post on credits. Credits are another one of those things that just happens for me as a side effect of playing the game. I wrote that post initially to help others who seem to constantly complain about being too broke to afford a single augment without running dailies all day every day.

Will it become useless?

Nothing will happen directly to it, you can use it to get to the new level cap and farm there some new gear. The better the gear you have will make it just easier to get to the new level cap.

The notion that gear is necessary doesn't make its pursuit the reason to do ops. The reason to do ops is fun.

That's your assumption. What if what I consider fun is specifically Dreadful or Hateful Entity? I have to have gear to be able to fight that boss. So maybe I find ops deplorable, but doing it to get gear in order to do the thing I'd actually have fun doing is a necessary part of getting to Dreadful/Hateful Entity.

Edited by Dawginole

your assumption has been proven wrong in many MMOs, people who raid, raid for gear whether they admit or not. Take away the HM/NiM tiers of gear, no one will raid those content, even if HM/NiM were tuned for SM level gear with added mechanics. Why would anyone work harder for the same benefits? I certainly wouldn't and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Perhaps you would raid once for the challenge but that's it, and that too if it was somewhat exhibit-able through a title/achievement or something otherwise no one would, certainly not every week.

Rolling a new toon is a garbage analogy again for raiding or not raiding, why do you play a different game? surely not for the star wars story.

Edited by ShaanuJaanu

I don't believe that for a second. Your guildies are probably decently geared or already geared if they are consistently raiding and that's why they aren't "giving a shake" about gear.

The only purpose that gear has for regular raiders is to get them ready for the next tier of ops. Running ops with friends is it's own reward. If it weren't, then raiders would clear an op only they were fully geared, and would never bother running alts or farming it for other guildies.

your assumption has been proven wrong in many MMOs, people who raid, raid for gear whether they admit or not.

Lol. "I'm right and even if you don't agree with me I'm still right because you are delusional." Good argument there! :rolleyes:

The only purpose that gear has for regular raiders is to get them ready for the next tier of ops. Running ops with friends is it's own reward. If it weren't, then raiders would clear an op only they were fully geared, and would never bother running alts or farming it for other guildies.

This is partly true, but you've got to take into account the fact that gear rewards can overcome "raid burnout".

Remember when 63 gear was BiS and craftable (along with RE of PvP gear for mats)? It was hard to put an ops run together (in my experience anyway). The number of raids I was able to participate in drastically improved when 2.0 brought 2 new tiers of operations gear AND prevented the top end from being craftable.

Even today, with DF/DP on farm, we run it to gear up alts. If those two operations didn't drop ANY gear, we'd probably stick to NM and Hateful.

Edited by Khevar

Uh no, because those already geared guildies who are running ops to help other guildies are doing so why? To help the other guildies gear. Why? So that when everyone is geared they can move on to the next tier of ops.

Will it become useless?

Assuming you have customizable gear, it doesn't become useless at all. Now, your mods on the other hand will become out-dated and need to be upgraded if you're playing end-game.