Post your "solutions" to World PvP for planets where both factions can fight.

SithEBM-Reborn

Before I go ahead and post this I'd like to acknowledge the fact that the likelyhood of this idea ever happening is basically none. Between the time it would take to develop, faction balance and the game's server issues it'd probably be too much. Even so, I can dream.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned the idea of taking an entire planet and stripping it of NPC's to use purely for PvP. This gave me the idea to take a planet and turn it into essentially a continuous warzone. In the spirit of Bioware's new "Invasion" arc, I figured the best locations for this would be Tython and Korriban. (These would be instances completely seperate from the starter planets, so no worries about the newbies.) I picture the planets having a bit of a redesign with buildings burnt out or partially destroyed, the ground pock marked with craters, crashed starships here and there, etc. Not just because it'd look cool but also to give the planets some more PvP utility (burnt out buildings could be sniper nests, hollowed out starships could contain health or speed boosts, obstacles could be placed for LoS, etc.).

The ultimate goal on each planet would be for the attacking faction to capture the other factions temple (Sith Temple on Korriban, Jedi Temple on Tython) and thus, take the planet. To make the battle actually engaging, and at least somewhat resemble an actual war, it should be harder for the attacking faction to capture an enemy planet than it is for the home team to defend it. To this end, I have a few ideas.

• The areas immediately surrounding the temples on each planet would still contain NPC's that help in the base's defense; say Jedi/Sith defenders, war droids and turret NPC's. Scattered across the planet there would also be three additional strategic points to capture, each with its own node (I imagine a node that works similar to Novare coast that would represent raising/lowering a faction's banner). Capturing these points would cut off the defenders from their reinforcements and thus, disable some of the NPC's.

Example: Say for Tython these nodes would be located in the Twi'lek village, the ruins of kaleth, and the gnarls. Capturing the gnarls would cut off the Jedi reinforcements (Jedi NPC's disappear). The ruins would cut off the droids power source (war droid NPC's shut down), and say the village cuts off the twi'leks that man the turrets (gun turrets go silent).

• The invaders need to hold a three cap to eliminate all of the temple's defenses. Difficult? Yes, but that's the point. Conquering a planet shouldn't be easy, and should require time and coordination. Additionally, it still would be possible to capture the temple without these other nodes, just a whole lot tougher. Spreading the action out also would open up some opportunities for ppl less interested in objectives and more interested in the joy of ganking. Solos could hang out along the paths between nodes (another fun use for downed ships and burned out buildings) and jump stragglers rushing to reinforce their teammates.

• Capturing the temple would work the same as the other points, with a node to raise the banner. This particular banner may take more time to raise to add to the difficulty. It may make more sense for this node to be inside the temple, but even in my fantasy that would be a cluster****. Rather the node would be atop the temple stairs, right at the entrance, surrounded by NPC's when they're active. The defending team's respawn point would also be near the temple.

• Functionally, these planets would act like any other warzone, with the key difference being the size and that anyone can enter and leave the instance as if it were any other planet.

• Bolster would apply on these planets. This would eliminate lowbie ganking as an issue, and additionally would encourage everyone from levels 10 to 55 to come and aid in the defense or siege of the planet. 55's would still have an advantage with superior gear (for the most part) and having all of their abilities.

• Rewards would work similar to regular warzones. Once you enter the instance you could start to earn medals, though the requirements would be higher than those in regular wz's as you'll likely be staying longer (so say instead of 350k heals, 1mil for a medal. Instead of 1 solo kill, 5. Medals for holding all three strategic points and/or the temple, etc.). Once you leave the instance these medals could be turned in at a terminal for wz/ranked comms, probably at a higher return rate than the reg wz medals. This would act as your daily, once you decide to turn in your medals you wouldn't be able to turn in any more until the terminal resets the next day.

• If a faction holds BOTH planets they could recieve additional server wide rewards, like say a 5% increase in wz/ranked comm returns. Increase in credits earned from PvP.... use your imagination here. =P

Anyway, I've probably spent enough time rambling about this since it will never happen. Just felt like venting.

Excellent and well thought out idea! Out of everybody else's ideas, this one impressed me the most. Good work soldier. :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point in the game, I would settle for a kill-tracker of some sort in your legacy window, that would track # of Enemy Players and Enemy Companions killed. Give tittles (maybe rewards) for achieving certain ranks. Like 1,000, 5,000 and 10,000 players killed = 3 separate titles. Same for companions. Maybe a "Companion Killer" title? :)

Maybe add in something like a daily for X amount of Player and Companions killed nets = 100 ranked 100 reg comms. Maybe a weekly.

And most importantly, only have this credible on 1 specific planet that I would have change from week to week. Like Illum 1 week. then Oricon the next, then maybe Quesh. This would help consolidate where the pvp takes place on these servers with low population as of late. As well as give a reason for level 55s to return to some of the nicer planets in game that now server no use after leveling.

I think that would be fun.

Edited by SOULCASTER

So basically your being paid to cause trouble.

How is trying to come up with ideas to improve world PvP "Causing trouble"?

Interesting how you do it. You invent a thread that claims to be about creating solutions, knowing that nearly all posted solutions will be idealistic and impractical,

Hold on a second. How are nearly all of the ideas that have been posted impractical? Some of them will take a long time to implement but they should be doable. You're basically attacking BioWare by saying they're too incompetent to implement something as simple as an "objective" in an area. I believe that with enough dedication, BioWare would be able to use some of our ideas to "Better" world PvP.

you then demand people stay on topic so that you can sound more legitimate and to try to stifle people from letting out the nature of the thread.

No, I demand people to stay on topic so they don't close this thread.

Then later if you haven't gotten banned again, you can say BW doesn't listen to players since they didn't implement all the impractical ideas in the thread, and then use that as ammunition to get gullible people to unsub.

How am I going to say that BioWare doesn't listen to the players when I only have a month subscription? Are you assuming that I believe BioWare can implement these ideas within 30 days?

Either remain on topic and contribute to this thread, or leave and go elsewhere.

Edited by SithEBM-Reborn

At this point in the game, I would settle for a kill-tracker of some sort in your legacy window, that would track # of Enemy Players and Enemy Companions killed. Give tittles (maybe rewards) for achieving certain ranks. Like 1,000, 5,000 and 10,000 players killed = 3 separate titles. Same for companions. Maybe a "Companion Killer" title? :)

Maybe add in something like a daily for X amount of Player and Companions killed nets = 100 ranked 100 reg comms. Maybe a weekly.

And most importantly, only have this credible on 1 specific planet that I would have change from week to week. Like Illum 1 week. then Oricon the next, then maybe Quesh. This would help consolidate where the pvp takes place on these servers with low population as of late. As well as give a reason for level 55s to return to some of the nicer planets in game that now server no use after leveling.

I think that would be fun.

I forgot all about that! I remember tracking my kills in WoW(I had around 20-30k from open world PvP lol).

I'd love for your ideas(Achievements, dailies, kill tracker, and incentives to return to planets weekly) to be implemented into an Objective form so people don't participate just to kill trade but I do think that your ideas should be implemented regardless.

Edited by SithEBM-Reborn

At this point in the game, I would settle for a kill-tracker of some sort in your legacy window, that would track # of Enemy Players. Give tittles

I'm not trying to Side-Track this Discussion, but there is one in the Legacy Tab. Under Achievements > PVP > General There is a Kill counter. It has 3 achievements in it, I forget exactly the highest amount (5k is sticking in my head, but I might be inaccurate) but there is a title that goes w/ it.

Before I go ahead and post this I'd like to acknowledge the fact that the likelyhood of this idea ever happening is basically none. Between the time it would take to develop, faction balance and the game's server issues it'd probably be too much. Even so, I can dream.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned the idea of taking an entire planet and stripping it of NPC's to use purely for PvP. This gave me the idea to take a planet and turn it into essentially a continuous warzone. In the spirit of Bioware's new "Invasion" arc, I figured the best locations for this would be Tython and Korriban. (These would be instances completely seperate from the starter planets, so no worries about the newbies.) I picture the planets having a bit of a redesign with buildings burnt out or partially destroyed, the ground pock marked with craters, crashed starships here and there, etc. Not just because it'd look cool but also to give the planets some more PvP utility (burnt out buildings could be sniper nests, hollowed out starships could contain health or speed boosts, obstacles could be placed for LoS, etc.).

The ultimate goal on each planet would be for the attacking faction to capture the other factions temple (Sith Temple on Korriban, Jedi Temple on Tython) and thus, take the planet. To make the battle actually engaging, and at least somewhat resemble an actual war, it should be harder for the attacking faction to capture an enemy planet than it is for the home team to defend it. To this end, I have a few ideas.

• The areas immediately surrounding the temples on each planet would still contain NPC's that help in the base's defense; say Jedi/Sith defenders, war droids and turret NPC's. Scattered across the planet there would also be three additional strategic points to capture, each with its own node (I imagine a node that works similar to Novare coast that would represent raising/lowering a faction's banner). Capturing these points would cut off the defenders from their reinforcements and thus, disable some of the NPC's.

Example: Say for Tython these nodes would be located in the Twi'lek village, the ruins of kaleth, and the gnarls. Capturing the gnarls would cut off the Jedi reinforcements (Jedi NPC's disappear). The ruins would cut off the droids power source (war droid NPC's shut down), and say the village cuts off the twi'leks that man the turrets (gun turrets go silent).

• The invaders need to hold a three cap to eliminate all of the temple's defenses. Difficult? Yes, but that's the point. Conquering a planet shouldn't be easy, and should require time and coordination. Additionally, it still would be possible to capture the temple without these other nodes, just a whole lot tougher. Spreading the action out also would open up some opportunities for ppl less interested in objectives and more interested in the joy of ganking. Solos could hang out along the paths between nodes (another fun use for downed ships and burned out buildings) and jump stragglers rushing to reinforce their teammates.

• Capturing the temple would work the same as the other points, with a node to raise the banner. This particular banner may take more time to raise to add to the difficulty. It may make more sense for this node to be inside the temple, but even in my fantasy that would be a cluster****. Rather the node would be atop the temple stairs, right at the entrance, surrounded by NPC's when they're active. The defending team's respawn point would also be near the temple.

• Functionally, these planets would act like any other warzone, with the key difference being the size and that anyone can enter and leave the instance as if it were any other planet.

• Bolster would apply on these planets. This would eliminate lowbie ganking as an issue, and additionally would encourage everyone from levels 10 to 55 to come and aid in the defense or siege of the planet. 55's would still have an advantage with superior gear (for the most part) and having all of their abilities.

• Rewards would work similar to regular warzones. Once you enter the instance you could start to earn medals, though the requirements would be higher than those in regular wz's as you'll likely be staying longer (so say instead of 350k heals, 1mil for a medal. Instead of 1 solo kill, 5. Medals for holding all three strategic points and/or the temple, etc.). Once you leave the instance these medals could be turned in at a terminal for wz/ranked comms, probably at a higher return rate than the reg wz medals. This would act as your daily, once you decide to turn in your medals you wouldn't be able to turn in any more until the terminal resets the next day.

• If a faction holds BOTH planets they could recieve additional server wide rewards, like say a 5% increase in wz/ranked comm returns. Increase in credits earned from PvP.... use your imagination here. =P

Anyway, I've probably spent enough time rambling about this since it will never happen. Just felt like venting.

This is actually the coolest idea I've read in a long while. Basically 2 large scale War Zones, the size of a daily area. I see the lowbies and solo players sticking to defending and the max players and premades on the attacking side.

Just thought of something cool to add to your idea actually... What if the set of planets changed ever 2 to 4 months like the events. Basically the only change is the background and the NPC's. Would be a easy way to inject some flavor into the format. So the war would move from Korriban/Tython to Taris/Balmorra to Voss/Alderaan to Hoth/Tatooine to Dromund Kaas/Coruscant ect...

Edited by TezMoney

I like the Planet Warzone mentioned on the previous page yet the only issue I take with it is there are two planets. Which will spread players too far or cause one planet to be booming constantly while the other sees no action.

If you restrict it to one planet at a time while changing the planet from patch to patch this will ensure that one planet is constantly having action.

Starting with 2 just seems like a bad idea to me.

I'm not trying to Side-Track this Discussion, but there is one in the Legacy Tab. Under Achievements > PVP > General There is a Kill counter. It has 3 achievements in it, I forget exactly the highest amount (5k is sticking in my head, but I might be inaccurate) but there is a title that goes w/ it.

Yeah that's for 50,000 kills and grants the <Manhunter> tittle. What I'm talking about would be similar, but different.

Solution: play WvWvW in GW2 when i feel like doing that and stop waiting for something that will never happen in swtor

Some people want a grade A PvP experience from a Star Wars game. Too bad we will not get that come Battlefront 3 I believe.

"Bag the Orbs" in Gree event area on Ilum.

I had a lot of fun with Open World PvP during the Gree Event (minus the same-faction fighting). So I started thinking about how we could turn the area into a competition area.

• Hold the Pylons (Multiple people have to channel like Novare)
  • Run orbs back from neutral points in the center of the area.
  • Kills count for points
  • you can steal the orbs if you defeat the carrier
  • RESETS EVERY WEEK (you get awarded if you contribute)
  • Winning Faction gets double reward, but Losing Faction gets buff next week (?)

I like the Planet Warzone mentioned on the previous page yet the only issue I take with it is there are two planets. Which will spread players too far or cause one planet to be booming constantly while the other sees no action.

If you restrict it to one planet at a time while changing the planet from patch to patch this will ensure that one planet is constantly having action.

You could have the event happen on one planet one week, then the other planet the next week.

I just glanced at that post, but I think that it would be cool if once a base/camp was turned, then it could not be turned back for that week. Would help to make sure that progress is made.

You could have the event happen on one planet one week, then the other planet the next week.

I just glanced at that post, but I think that it would be cool if once a base/camp was turned, then it could not be turned back for that week. Would help to make sure that progress is made.

A weekly or bi-weekly change keeps it fresh. But they would need more than 2 planets in that case. 3 or 4 would be good to start with.

Edited by Reno_Tarshil

"Bag the Orbs" in Gree event area on Ilum.

I had a lot of fun with Open World PvP during the Gree Event (minus the same-faction fighting). So I started thinking about how we could turn the area into a competition area.

• Hold the Pylons (Multiple people have to channel like Novare)
  • Run orbs back from neutral points in the center of the area.
  • Kills count for points
  • you can steal the orbs if you defeat the carrier
  • RESETS EVERY WEEK (you get awarded if you contribute)
  • Winning Faction gets double reward, but Losing Faction gets buff next week (?)

Well, that would certainly encourage world PvP. Honestly.... That would save the gree event for the PvP quests.

Edited by SithEBM-Reborn

Definitely a good point. The reason I went with two planets was so that people could have the option to attack or defend and not be stuck doing one or the other.

I suppose if you were to limit it to one planet you could work the system so that when one faction takes the temple the NPC's would respawn and start fighting for that faction. Thus, using the Tython example, once the empire takes Tython the Republic would have to take on the siege role, take the three other nodes to shut down the defenses, and take the planet back. That probably would simplify things.

VOSS

Shrine of Healing

Controlling the objective gives "X" (bonus) for "Y" (unit of time).

I have no idea what the objective would be, but I remember fighting a lot of people in here.

That place has a lot of PvP action and an objective near there would be cool!

Funny, I was thinking about all of this just the other day at work OP. I would love to be rewarded for our efforts in WPvP.

Being rewarded for WPvPing would definitely help!

i think a super simple way to get some open world pvp going would be to put housing and pvp vendors / quest terminals around outlaws den.

I'd eliminate the underlined part because housing is not going to impact this game whatsoever(IMO).

I think that quest terminals would help but I think there are PvP vendors(Unless they removed them). Objectives would be amazing IMO.