The Capabilities of Legacy Storage

Cypherz

I do not expect legacy storage to restrict a player from putting a bound mod into a piece of legacy gear, putting that piece of legacy gear into your legacy storage, pulling it out of legacy storage with your alt, removing the mod from the legacy gear and inserting the mod into your alt's gear. There is a difference between that and putting that bound mod directly into legacy storage to be removed by your alt. The first still carries that credit sink, while the second would cheat the current system by bypassing that credit sink.

IMO, it should NOT accept bound items.

Either way, there is already one credit sink, normally. Say I choose some Cartel Market armor set. I would go raiding / doing dailies / whatever, get the gear, then strip the mods and into my chosen set = ONE modding round worth of credit sinks. More, if I go through multiple gear tiers = from bottom up, usually 3 per "cycle" - that`s THREE full remods. I am not counting augments = slots and augments themselves.

So, for one character, on average, I have at least 3 full remods.

Now, why would I not benefit from the SAME "luxury" on my alts, since the time is already spent? Why should I have ONE MORE credit sink, just because I want to use UNUSED gear from whatever other char I would have, in a game that ENCOURAGES alts? Because I feel penalized, right now, by having alts. And nobody in their right mind can tell me that playing a trooper DPS is different than playing a BH DPS, given the same spec.

Example: My BH has extra gear. IF she would need it herself, she would simply strip the mods and put them into her gear = one credit sink. IF she puts said piece of gear into the Legacy Storage, the trooper will have to pick up the piece of gear and strip the mods, to put them into her gear = one credit sink. So, it`s one for one. Even IF she would just take it and put it on as it is, there is no guarantee that the BH couldn`t / wouldn`t / shouldn`t. I am "cheating the system" only if I don`t use a custom set - and, really, WHO DOESN`T? And I really think that`s stupid to argue that I have to have one more credit sink for an alt, just because 10% of SWTOR`s playerbase doesn`t use custom stuff.

Edited by Styxx

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personal housing is a HUGE credit sink. they can stand to lose a little on a minor one

That is your opinion. It is not necessarily the opinion of the devs or other players.

What happens when someone argues that legacy gear and transferring mods is a HUGE credit sink and that they can stand to lose a little on a minor one like player housing?

If BOP items could be transferred via legacy bank there's literary no point to keep a BOP/BOE system in place at that stage.

I bet it's legacy and unbound items only.

I'd be ecstatic with shared comms/credits but I doubt that'll ever materialize.

Either way, there is already one credit sink, normally. Say I choose some Cartel Market armor set. I would go raiding / doing dailies / whatever, get the gear, then strip the mods and into my chosen set = ONE modding round worth of credit sinks. More, if I go through multiple gear tiers = from bottom up, usually 3 per "cycle" - that`s THREE full remods. I am not counting augments = slots and augments themselves.

So, for one character, on average, I have at least 3 full remods.

Now, why would I not benefit from the SAME "luxury" on my alts, since the time is already spent? Why should I have ONE MORE credit sink, just because I want to use UNUSED gear from whatever other char I would have, in a game that ENCOURAGES alts? Because I feel penalized, right now, by having alts. And nobody in their right mind can tell me that playing a trooper DPS is different than playing a BH DPS, given the same spec.

Example: My BH has extra gear. IF she would need it herself, she would simply strip the mods and put them into her gear = one credit sink. IF she puts said piece of gear into the Legacy Storage, the trooper will have to pick up the piece of gear and strip the mods, to put them into her gear = one credit sink. So, it`s one for one. Even IF she would just take it and put it on as it is, there is no guarantee that the BH couldn`t / wouldn`t / shouldn`t. I am "cheating the system" only if I don`t use a custom set - and, really, WHO DOESN`T? And I really think that`s stupid to argue that I have to have one more credit sink for an alt, just because 10% of SWTOR`s playerbase doesn`t use custom stuff.

Time and credits spent on one character do not necessarily entitle you to the "luxuries" on ALL characters. If I buy a Korrealis baron speeder off the GTN for 25 million credits, do I get one for each of my characters? No, even though I already spent the time and credits.

It is possible to gear up one set of legacy gear and transfer that set between your characters and have your character equip that let of legacy gear, thus paying the cost to remove mods only once. If, on the other hand, you prefer the custom look, it is also possible to obtain a second set of mods, so that each character can be geared and the mods don't need to be sent back and forth, thus paying the credit cost twice at most.

Time and credits spent on one character do not necessarily entitle you to the "luxuries" on ALL characters. If I buy a Korrealis baron speeder off the GTN for 25 million credits, do I get one for each of my characters? No, even though I already spent the time and credits.

It is possible to gear up one set of legacy gear and transfer that set between your characters and have your character equip that let of legacy gear, thus paying the cost to remove mods only once. If, on the other hand, you prefer the custom look, it is also possible to obtain a second set of mods, so that each character can be geared and the mods don't need to be sent back and forth, thus paying the credit cost twice at most.

I didn`t ask for BoP gear to be shared, such as speeders, toys, pets, or whatever have you. I asked for fairness, in terms of ONE credit sink for all my toons. There is, in my opinion, a mistake in asking me to pay once more for stripping mods, just because I have an alt that needs gearing up, in a game that is based on alts, or that heavily encourages alts.

If BOP items could be transferred via legacy bank there's literary no point to keep a BOP/BOE system in place at that stage.

I bet it's legacy and unbound items only.

I'd be ecstatic with shared comms/credits but I doubt that'll ever materialize.

BoP/BoE was invented so a company would force each player to grind - remember that, back when this crap was invented, time was money, as all MMO`s were sub based. I remember Lineage 2, which had no bound gear, so, say you were rich, you could give gear freely - top level gear. BoP/BoE is a mistake and that will never change. And why shouldn`t the ones that raid heavily sell their extra gear / mods? If crafters can`t compete with the prices, well, tough luck.

And BoP/BoE will still keep it`s purpose - gear "stuck" on a single legacy. Nothing will change between players, only between the characters within the same Legacy.

Edited by Styxx

I didn`t ask for BoP gear to be shared, such as speeders, toys, pets, or whatever have you. I asked for fairness, in terms of ONE credit sink for all my toons. There is, in my opinion, a mistake in asking me to pay once more for stripping mods, just because I have an alt that needs gearing up, in a game that is based on alts, or that heavily encourages alts.

I've got 16 alts. Most of which are 55. Many of which I use for raiding.

I accept the fact that I have a choice of:

a) Gearing up the alt on his/her own.

or

b) Paying to move existing mods around.

Honestly, it's no big deal. Plus, the more alts you have, the easier it is to make credits, rendering the mod-ripping fees irrelevant.

I've got 16 alts. Most of which are 55. Many of which I use for raiding.

I accept the fact that I have a choice of:

a) Gearing up the alt on his/her own.

or

b) Paying to move existing mods around.

Honestly, it's no big deal. Plus, the more alts you have, the easier it is to make credits, rendering the mod-ripping fees irrelevant.

I still have one more credit sink moving gear to alts, that I shouldn`t have. And it is even more irrelevant, or not needed, as every of my alts received BoL gear by default, as part of Hutt expansion. So, I can "cheat the system" already, with tools given FOR FREE, by Bioware - send BoL gear from alt I want to gear up to alt that has the gear, strip once, put in Legacy gear, send back. The only downside to this is the cosmetic, as I must play with the legacy gear on.

What I want from allowing BoP / BoE gear into Legacy Store, is to allow my alts to have the exact same credit sinks as my main / gear giver has = which is precisely ONE = pulling the mods from the whatever gear that has the mods.

Legacy storage is the magnificent thing that we wanted from start of the game, for the materials and companion gifts.

After 2 years i have scatter all my materials in all my 8 toons and of course cant remember what i have in which and how much. Loosing lots of time finding them

Legacy storage if they let me add even only those 2 things ill be grateful

I was referring to the people already complaining they will quit if they cant put bound items in there.

only real bound stuff are relicks implants ear and mounts you won or diged up whit seeker droid all other stuff can be put into legacy gear and sent... so you can put all mods into legacy gear and keep it in legacy bank even if it was bound

I think the safest assumption to make about Legacy storage is, if you can attach the item to an in-game mail you can put it into the legacy storage. If you can't attach an item to an in-game mail you won't be able to put it into the legacy storage.

It's not there to try and subvert the collections system, or the necessary credit sink of pulling mods to transfer in legacy gear.

It is there to make the life of altoholics and those with several crafters a lot more convenient. Especially if you have alts across the two factions and their name isn't automatically added when you compose a mail. Back in the days of server transfers and the renaming of characters I ended up sending stuff to other people (thankfully I got most of it back because they never opened it during the 30 day limit).

Part of me hopes that they have a single crafting tab that doesn't rely on a grid, but is instead a list of materials with a simple number of how much you have stored and the option to withdraw a certain amount to the character's personal inventory.

The two main things I would like to be able to store and readily retrieve on any toon on my account would be crafting materials and Cartel Market items.

EA/BW clearly built this game with the intention of everybody running multiple alts, and the crafting system would benefit from the shared storage of materials as there is some interdependency between the different crafting professions. I'm also a bit impulsive about when I buy Cartel packs, so I end up with parts of armor sets strewn across multiple toons, weapons stored away on toons that can't use them, and I simply forget who is sitting on a cool new piece of loot I pulled and stored away.

I get the impression that legacy storage will be just like our existing cargo storage, just linked to all the toons on a single server. Here's hoping...

That is your opinion. It is not necessarily the opinion of the devs or other players.

What happens when someone argues that legacy gear and transferring mods is a HUGE credit sink and that they can stand to lose a little on a minor one like player housing?

when you can get player housing for 11k per room, you might have a point. but they already indicated what player housing will cost and its a LOT more than pulling a few mods.

when you can get player housing for 11k per room, you might have a point. but they already indicated what player housing will cost and its a LOT more than pulling a few mods.

I remember when it was much more expensive to pull those mods, so it just might not be long before the cost of housing is lowered.

Even if housing don't drop, that does not negate the necessity for other credit sinks, such as the cost for moving mods around.

They've stated that the basic cost of a Stronghold on Nar Shadda will be 250k with 3 unlocked rooms raising the price up to 1.5mil.

So, basically, the 'standard' Housing costs will be next to nothing with extra rooms and such being where the true costs come in.

They've stated that the basic cost of a Stronghold on Nar Shadda will be 250k with 3 unlocked rooms raising the price up to 1.5mil.

So, basically, the 'standard' Housing costs will be next to nothing with extra rooms and such being where the true costs come in.

Similar to the concept of legacy gear itself being relatively inexpensive, but the cost goes as you move mods around. Even a set of legacy gear and a ONE TIME move of mods is not too bad, but if you are going to send a single set of mods back and forth multiple times, yes, the cost will add up.

I have a separate set of mods for each of my characters to keep the credit cost down. Did I have to pay to move them one time? Yes, but only one time to move them.

I wish they'd make a mats counter, sorta like the one for commendations.

Graphic list of icons per gathering profession and when you send a stack of 5 red goo to the legacy bank the number next to the red goo picture goes up from 166 to 171.

If it's "normal" storage that's simply shared it's gonna be neat but geez, I've got a tab of mats just on one toon for one profession so it's gonna fill up way too fast lol. Guess I gotta sell off all the low level stuff. :p

Edited by aeterno

I wish they'd make a mats counter, sorta like the one for commendations.

Graphic list of icons per gathering profession and when you send mats to the legacy bank the number next to it goes up from 166 to 171.

If it's "normal" storage that's simply shared it's gonna be neat but geez, I've got a tab of mats just on one toon for one profession so it's gonna fill up way too fast lol. Guess I gotta sell off all the low level mats. :p

Hoping that it'll have massive space since it's intended to be used across 12+ characters, with each character having the opportunity to have 5 cargo bay tabs.

If nothing else, it'll convince me to finish leveling up my singular Republic char to 55 so that I can buy a Stronghold and spare Legacy bank.

I remember when it was much more expensive to pull those mods, so it just might not be long before the cost of housing is lowered.

Even if housing don't drop, that does not negate the necessity for other credit sinks, such as the cost for moving mods around.

It used to be around 50K per mod at one point. Making money has never been easier in this game so I don't see what the big deal is. Again I think only legacy bound items and unbound items will be allowed into the legacy bank. It makes the most sense, doesn't cheat the Cartel Market account unlock system, or allow us to do anything really we can't do today aside from making things a little faster.

I really just want a place to store my crafting mats, store BoL gear for shifting mods around (I'm hoping that I can also craft mods/armors etc. and deposit them in the legacy bank so I can just craft a bunch of stuff and then have the alt I'm working on pick them up when they hit the appropriate level), and ideally also be able to have a legacy bank (like the guild bank). It would be really nice for my main to just be able to put extra credits in a legacy bank for my alts to use when they need it.

I'm thinking it will have the same rules as Guild Banks. Everything but bound items basically.

It would be nice to to drop my old UW implants\earpieces\relics in there so my alts can pick them up, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Eitetsu

I would like to point out that

1) LotRO allows me to put BoP items in the legacy bank. However, only the owner can remove it. I.e., BW allowing you to put BoP into the legacy does not mean that everything is essentially B2L.

2) Every other MMO I play allows me to see my inventory across all characters. WoW, Rift, and LotRO do this with addons. EVE does it by allowing an XML file web download of your inventory (IMO something SWTOR should offer) So being able to see what crafting mats and B2L armor is a huge appeal rather than seeing which of 105 ship cargo bays it is in.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the legacy bank should be that, everything i put in there should be available to all in my legacy, bound or unbound, otherwise its pointless and useless.

I can already mail everything BoE or BoL between all characters in my legacy now, why would i need a legacy bank to do the same thing, but save me 10cr.......nah, rather pointless.

If it doesn't allow me to store bound items for use by other characters, then i fail to see the point in the whole legacy storage.

I think the legacy bank should be that, everything i put in there should be available to all in my legacy, bound or unbound, otherwise its pointless and useless.

I can already mail everything BoE or BoL between all characters in my legacy now, why would i need a legacy bank to do the same thing, but save me 10cr.......nah, rather pointless.

If it doesn't allow me to store bound items for use by other characters, then i fail to see the point in the whole legacy storage.

The point of the legacy bank, IMO, is to make it more convenient to store crafting mats, unbound gear and BOL gear, rather than having to cycle through multiple alts to see which character has the mat you need, that piece of UNBOUND gear or that piece of legacy gear for which you are looking.

I'm hoping that the legacy bank does not allow the current binding rules to be bypassed.