Color blind people can't play this game full stop

Verain

I've been a bit of an evangelist with GSF, trying to get both real life and WoW friends into it. It's a hard sell, being nested inside a larger MMO that they are, for the most part, not that interested in, and being pretty demanding of both dailies and personal skill, as well as having a pretty solid computer and connection.

But these restrictions should end there. The additional restriction where my Red-Green colorblind friend (he's likely "deuteranomaly", the one where green mostly collapses into red, and probably the most common variant) is entirely unable to guess how much hull or shield arc he has left is generally not acceptable. I love colors a super lot and wouldn't want to lose the existing display as we have it, but either add some numbers, a bar, or at least the option to make it scale from something besides red to green.

A colorblind mode would be great for immersion. Actual numbers and bars would be even better -- as it is, I have a better idea of the health of my target than my own ship.

Your friend might not experience this, but there's another type of colorblindness where red fades into grey -- which basically makes your crosshairs invisible against most backgrounds in the game.

I've been a bit of an evangelist with GSF, trying to get both real life and WoW friends into it. It's a hard sell, being nested inside a larger MMO that they are, for the most part, not that interested in, and being pretty demanding of both dailies and personal skill, as well as having a pretty solid computer and connection.

But these restrictions should end there. The additional restriction where my Red-Green colorblind friend (he's likely "deuteranomaly", the one where green mostly collapses into red, and probably the most common variant) is entirely unable to guess how much hull or shield arc he has left is generally not acceptable. I love colors a super lot and wouldn't want to lose the existing display as we have it, but either add some numbers, a bar, or at least the option to make it scale from something besides red to green.

Not to mention Operator IX...

Well then I never thought such an appropriate thread would come up for me. As it turns out, I'm an eye doctor who also plays GSF. There are a lot of solutions to this. Aside from Jerry Rigging a piece of red or green transparency plastic over the area in question, giving us the numbers on the UI would be really valuable. There are a myriad of other solutions, but deutan and protan are the two most common types of color deficiencies. Even changing it from a spectrum of Blue toward Red, eliminating Green. Blue to Yellow to Red To dead. I understand the MMO standard of Green Health Bars, but it is somewhat prejudiced, isn't it?

Edited for nomenclature. I meant red green defects more generally, not specifically lack of specific cone types.

Edited by OscarDivine

I thought the -nomalies were more common than the -nopias? Regardless, I wouldn't want my screen to have to change to accommodate the color blind unless that's along the lines of actually giving us our health as numbers- rather, I would like to be able to demonstrate a setting such that a color-blind friendly version could be created, which could be, as you say, a different color progression.

The air force doesn't hire pilots who have ANY eye problems, much like snipers can't have eye issues either. There is a real world precedent on why this isn't a priority lol. But more information would be appreciated - running Ops you gotta show that info text. Same with GSF!

As a player and developer that is shade blind I feel for your friend, the devs of this game just don't care about a fairly significant portion of the population. I cannot see the difference between the warm colors on the op x fight, if I'm not purple (darkest tone) I can't do my job.

There was a very long thread when that fight was in beta, we, the shade blind suggested just adding a pattern, shape, glyph to the colors so we could identify. Nothing. It is not the only pve fight like that. Col. Korgath has a yellow to green transfer on his minefield. I wiped my guild several times by assuming the timer was done and I could move into the square.

So if they won't listen to us on these fights that see a lot more use than GSF, I doubt you'll attract their attention to this. Personally, I don't have much issue with the indicators, the gamma and saturation change enough for my odd collection of rods to see. For now, the only suggestion I have for your friend is to adjust the color temperature of his monitor to one that suits him better. Most pc ship way too cold anyways.

The air force doesn't hire pilots who have ANY eye problems, much like snipers can't have eye issues either. There is a real world precedent on why this isn't a priority lol.

I'm sure the characters don't have eye problems, but the UI needs to accommodate for players that do.

The air force doesn't hire pilots who have ANY eye problems, much like snipers can't have eye issues either. There is a real world precedent on why this isn't a priority lol.

First and most important rule of game design: however much you might try to pretend otherwise, this isn't the real world.

Even with a RL-handicap, you can do great stuff.

I used to raid with a deaf guy on voice-comms. I type 70 words per minute so I would type out raid instructions as fast as the raid leader could speak them (I just can't talk and type at the same time). He ended up being one of the top DPS on the server for a while and had the best foot-work and character placement in the guild when we first entered EC.

So my point is you just have to find the right work-around, because lets be honest, EAware ain't gonna give it to you. For hull-strength, there are visual indicators on your ship as you take damage. Your smoke trail changes, little explosion animations come off your ship. Those kinds of things. Unless you play a lot to level your ship or use P2W options, you won't need those visual indicators anyway as you'll be 1-shotted. So no worries.

For shields, the color is always "yellow" unless you have power to shields. Once power are to shields, you don't need to think about switching it. Any change from shield-power to either weapons or engines will immediately lose you your nice "blue" shields and send you back to "yellow". If one of those shield-arc's goe's black, best re-route power to shields no matter what setting you are on.

You know, I never realized how much of a pain certain fights must be for color blind people. Definitely something that should be fixed. Plus, it'd help identification even if you're not color blind. So, yeah, definitely support a change like this.