Aces, Vets and Blooded Pilots...What do you do on THOSE days?

QuinMantha

We all have them, whether we cop to it or not.

We're recognized as good pilots...maybe even invincible. Those who know our names tremble a little at the sight of us. Our fighters scream out of the sun with the fire of the righteous fury of angels. We are the best at what we do, and we get the biggest kick outta doing it.

Aaaaand then there are the days when we SUCK.

When NO missile will lock on. When NO Scout will stand still long enough for that last Rail Shot. Where EVERYONE knows you're deadly and goes out of their way to put you out of commission.

We were titans...and yet we all have days when we, even we, are brought low.

So, my question then, GSF aces, what do you do on those days? Any anecdotes of bad days you've had? Anything you want to get off your chest? Tell it here!

We're recognized as good pilots...maybe even invincible. Those who know our names tremble a little at the sight of us. Our fighters scream out of the sun with the fire of the righteous fury of angels. We are the best at what we do, and we get the biggest kick outta doing it.

When NO missile will lock on. When NO Scout will stand still long enough for that last Rail Shot. Where EVERYONE knows you're deadly and goes out of their way to put you out of commission.

So, my question then, GSF aces, what do you do on those days? Any anecdotes of bad days you've had? Anything you want to get off your chest? Tell it here!

When I have 2-3-4 guys on my tail constantly, whether I use my Pike, Quarrel or Flash, I sit down in a corner and cry.

And when I finally manage to pull my arse together, I go out there and give all those fools a dose Quad and Burst lasers with a topping of a Cluster missles.

Of course, that is if none of the Imperial Aces are out there. If they are, I'll probably end up focusing on them (and depending on whether or not they have a good or bad day, I may (or may not) win).

BUT! If I fail to pull myself together, I hop in my Rampart (if it's domination, Warcarrier if it's TDM) and cheese out my opponents 'till they quit :D Gotta love drones 'n' mines.

Hop into TS / vent / mumble and get a premade going. Call when you're being targetted to the people you're in the VoIP with. Orchestrate tactics more. Play a defensive style (assuming it's not TDM and your team is cannon fodder). Yell loudly (my roommate hates when I'm up against Alex or Tsukoyomi b/c my whole apartment becomes easily aware of how the tides of battle are going). Keep playing through it and eventually you'll recognize a switch to your tactics (purely circumstancial) that'll give you an edge. I love flying solo, but when you have a group that knows how to respond and win, it makes life a lot easier

Happens all the time, I mean it's a team based game and one player can't win it all. Yes one Ace can certainly tip the scales but only if they are near balanced. Often I'll simply try different ship types in my hanger and adjust my strat to get the opposing team broken up and create weak spots. It's often helpful when your public enemy number one you can draw more players off of your teammates too.

I wouldn't call myself an ace but . . .

I try to LOS and wait for hyrospanner to come off cooldown.

Sometimes I'll try to find a quiet spot for a few moments and try to think about how I might be able to fly better. Occasionally that'll turn things around for me, if not always for my team.

I eat my humble pie, dust off and get back in the saddle, and get back out there, fit to tear the backside from man or beast.

Of course I have a couple stealth alts for just this reason.

I''m not an ace myself, but I've had quite a few bad games. There's games where I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with my rail guns. Games where I've been chased back and forth across the map. Just got to take your lumps and keep pressing on. I think its kinda cool to be singled out and chased sometimes because people think you're a decent pilot that's a threat to their team. Counts for something. Even if you're not getting kills, getting people to chase you gets them off your teammates so they can do their thing. Sometimes I think people look at the stats too much, its what you're doing to help out that counts.

There's been times when people recognize me in my Quell from past matches and stay on my tail the entire game. When that happens, I simply hunt them right back (as long as it doesn't deter me from the objective if it's Domination). To be honest, I usually just keep queuing. I like the extra challenge, it only pushes me to play better; it keeps me from getting sloppy.

Being chased across the map by the whole enemy team isn't always bad.

I had a TDM yesterday where my team was full of newbies and completely inferior to the enemy team but we still won, because all their good pilots were busy with chasing me half of the match and the newbies had an easy time farming some kills. :D

The first couple times I get rolled hard (usually solo) I try to shake it off. When it moves into the 5+ matches back to back of heavy handed losses then I generally find something else to do for a bit.

In rough matches I either play more defensively, or in matches where its certainly a total loss I will try to pick someone to harass for the rest of the match. I always figure if I can get one person pounding their keyboard in frustration I can walk away with my head high :D

Rough matches can be very rewarding though, managing a decent k/d + damage while under pressure is a good feeling.

My advice I guess is to try to look to little victories throughout the match, try to single out what you did right and to store it away for future battles. I learned a lot of my evasive flying from HEAVY handed losses, and I like to think I am a better pilot for all the bad matches I have had to endure.

I've had days where I wondered if I could qualify myself as a pilot at all. Sometimes I take out a new build on a ship type I haven't played in the last few days and do something stupid like slam into an asteroid within minutes of starting the match. Those make me feel incredibly stupid. I have a tendency to keep chugging at it by sticking with what I'm testing/playing/working on and take the punishment, though. It's still a learning experience, and it's usually still fun. That is unless that punishment is an armada of gunships spamming ion. :rolleyes:

I take a break.

And then come back and let loose a swath of destruction that would make the Titans of old proud.

This! Definitely this! :cool:

You know that doughnut asteroid on Shipyards Domination, between the imp spawn and satellite B?

I once crashed into it twice in a row because I apparently forgot how to aim for the open area.

I called it a night after that.

You know that doughnut asteroid on Shipyards Domination, between the imp spawn and satellite B?

I once crashed into it twice in a row because I apparently forgot how to aim for the open area.

I called it a night after that.

You know how the Blackbolt's camera is a little off center compared to the larger ships?

#1 cause of my death in that ship.

I love it when they gang up on me. The better pilots, the more fun.

I mean, I like killing lots of Imps, but enough is enough. When I fly with one hand, using the other one as head support, still killing 15-ish Imps even in my stock Pike, it is not fun anymore.

But when I am in my crown ship, NovaDive, I don't care who I am against. If they don't gang up on me, they are getting softened and killed, and if they do gang up on me, I start a glorious chase which might end in them killing me once or twice, but me having so much fun that I don't even care if I don't kill lots of enemies.

I fly a simple NovaDive, with Barrel Roll upgraded to speed, speed thrusters, and Engine Power Converter for a huge lot of mobility.

And if it is just the day when I am goofy, I usually just play around with something silly, like my Comet Breaker, and call it a night after a few games. Don't want my ego to drop too low. :)

However, my fun will end in 2.7, with Barrel Roll nerf. I will see what I make out of it. Keep BR for fast escapes? Swap to K-Turn or even Power Dive? I'll see.

Edited by Slivovidze

You know how the Blackbolt's camera is a little off center compared to the larger ships?

#1 cause of my death in that ship.

Pretty sure that the striker class is the only ship where the little circle in the middle is where you are actually traveling. All other ships are significantly over that (which means you cannot shoot and travel directly at the target at the same time, you'll turn).

It's a different form of enjoyment for me. Those matches when you're hounded by 4-5 players for the entire match can be even more exciting than the usual slaughter. The kills I get while hounded are even more enoyable and it's one of the reasons why I refuse to join Pre-mades. It's just less fun for me to win like that. Less of a challenge and certainly less exciting.

As for bad days I've had a few games where it seems my timing is off (and it's bloody annoying). Mainly it happens on my Scout after too much time spent with my Bomber and Strike. I always need a game or 2 in my scout to get the 'twitch' back.

Being hounded by everyone can certainly contribute to a bad day on the GSF circuit.

But what usually makes a bad day for y'all? Is it when you can't hit anything? Or when you can actually hit everything...in terms of the scenery, that is.

Is it nineteen losses in a row? Three matches of six deaths or more?

What's the point where y'all declare, 'Man, I'm having a really bad day here!'?

As soon as I log in a game now, I have half of the opposing team (AT LEAST HALF) automatically target me (on Leggogurl). I made a new toon on a different server (who shall remain nameless) for the double xp weekend, and as a result I'm still topping charts in Kills / Assists / Damage, but the amount of time spent evading opposition has decreased. I don't like this. Like someone above me said, the kills during the matches that you're being chased around in are of a much higher intrinsic value level than those on the other server where I can just post up. Ultimately, if you keep dying, pause and refresh your mind. Get a beer or something, then come back. A little break never hurt anybody!

EDIT: Also, things are bad when I'm shooting at a GS for 5 shots in a row and none of them hit, being ion or slug, and the dude's been stationary. THAT is a bad day for me

(Off topic: Whoever said you can't do anything with an ungeared ship is WRONG. I topped charts on a brand new ship from day one, match one. Skill plays a lot more of a role than people give credit).

Edited by SammyGStatus

I look to see where my teammates have rallied and start playing "bait."

I pick a pilot on the other side and track him down, fire off a few shots, maybe a cluster missile and then let him chase me to wherever my guildmates have set up "rail gun ally." I sit for a second, let the drone heal me and go back out and do it again.

I get lots of assists, do a moderate amount of damage, but I have few Kills and fewer deaths in these matches.