My respec costs 36550 credits now

Skaarrj

First off, let me clarify my stance in as short a way as possible:

1: I am against Dual-Spec as WoW has it.

2: I am NOT against Dual-Spec as an idea.

3: I am for lower cost respec.

4: I am vehemently against changing AC's.

What follows is purely opinion.

My stance against Dual-Spec for TOR really comes from the drive of Bioware to be story-based. It makes no sense in any story or roleplay to be really good as a defender and sucky as a healer to suddenly be really good at healing and a sucky defender.

I also wonder: There are only three roles... Why must you be two of them? I understand if you enjoy playing multiple roles, I myself enjoy being both a Tank and a Healer. And, true, sometimes DPS is just where I want to be. But for a game that makes having multiple characters so darn easy... Why must Dual-Spec be the answer? It is just as easy to say "Hold on, let me hop on my healer for that!" as it is to say "Hold on, let me change my spec for that!".

As for the PvE vs. PvP spec's not being compatible... I cannot argue. This is about the only argument for Dual-Spec that actually gets points in my book. I've tried leveling in PvE with a PvP build. That hurt. However, I don't think switching Spec's the way WoW does it would harm more than help. I think what would help here is a separate Spec that only activates when you go into PvP/Flashpoints/Whatever it can be set for. If you put points in the same place, cool. If not... Look, your PvP spec activates when you want to play PvP. This seems like a viable middle ground to me.

I don't have much more to add about the lower respec costs. I simply agree - dropping them a bit would be nice. I don't think they need to be dropped that much. 25k as a max seems fine with me, since at level 30 I can make that much very easy.

The following is what I believe to be a fact.

I don't believe that the cries for Dual Spec are triggered by the actual lack of Dual Spec. I believe they are simply triggered by a lack of flexibility in the game, and Dual Spec is the only thing that addressed that lack in other well-known places. It's not that Dual Spec is the only answer, it's just the most well known one.

I think that another answer can be found, it just would be a new one.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just as easy to say "Hold on, let me hop on my healer for that!" as it is to say "Hold on, let me change my spec for that!".

Because you have to level up your healer for that.

Meaning you have to redo all the non-class content you already did. And have to keep your healer and non-healer char at the same level. If you need a healer for a lvl 37 FP your lvl 21 alt won't be of much use.

For me the main problem is that leveling up (aka doing solo content) as healer is a lot less enjoyable to me than doing it as DPS because as healer it is both slower (no dps companion reaches the damage output I have as dps myself, so, no, companions do not "fix" this) and less interesting (longer fights, but also less chance to die in a fight - boring).

So making a healer alt is not the solution.

I don't think there should be changing ACs, but there absolutely must be some form of "dual spec" in some way. Too many of us enjoy more than one gameplay type, and the requirement of some ridiculous investment in coins to alternate between these gameplay types (be they tanking, DPS, PvP, PvE, whatever) is crazy.

It seems that for whatever reason TOR devs do not want players bouncing back and forth between specs between fights and warzones. Okay.

Give us two free respecs per day, then have the cost be substantial and increasing the more you do it. That way, if someone needs to switch specs for an Operation or something so it can run, they can do that, then switch back after the raid to do what they would do otherwise.

This also allows people to mess around with spec options, just not all at once. If I want to DPS test the difference between, say, 2/31/8 and 7/31/3 or something I can actually do so. But if I want to explore the best DPS between 4 or 5 different specs, it'd take me a few days, OR a heavy monetary investment.

Freedom to switch specs a couple times a day, but investment in limiting the number of specs you try within a day.

Wait a week the cost will reset back to 0

Does your week long wait reset each time you respec? For instance if I use respec 1 on Monday and then on Thursday use Respec 2, would this all reset on the following Monday or would I wait until Thursday? Thanks

Good luck finding healers for endgame with this mentality.

I'm a healer now and I will be at end game.

Believe it or not, mmos have had healers for a really long time. And those people who played healers did all their questing and stuff as healers because they had no other choice. And hey... we survived it. Even in WoW. I spent the first what, 5-6 years of my life in WoW as a healer. I did everything in the same spec. As a healer. >.>

Dual Spec in WoW and the expanding of that concept in Rift were great for healers. It allowed us to be main healers but not be gimped in solo PvE.

SW:TOR went a different route, but the end result is the same. Players can choose to level as healers and have their companion DPS for them. This to me, is as good if not better than dual spec. :p

That (my above post) being said, I'm not against dual spec. I am very much against AC swapping though. Hell nah on that.

I just don't think the need for dual spec is as urgent as others seem to think it is. Leveling as a healer is not a grueling painful thing.

Sure leveling as DPS would be faster but I'm not in a race. I want to enjoy myself, and I enjoy myself by healing. At end game, at beginning game, and everything in between.

I do apologize for the length of this post. Please see the TL;DR if you want to skip the rambling.

I'll start by saying that I am also against swapping Advanced Classes. Clearly Advanced Classes differ from each other in quite an extreme way. Allowing you to switch them at will would cheapen their feel immensely. Am I excited to roll another Inquisitor to go the Assassin route? No, probably won't happen since the story line stays the same and I have three other alts already. But I am aware that I was given a choice that would affect me permanently and I chose to my liking and that is just gravy.

That being said, I was quite surprised when I found out that their was no dual-spec option. Shocked even. It is my opinion that any game such as this with so much differing content should have the option for you to have at least 2 readily available talent tree's that you can switch between. They should also not be limited to one PVE spec and one PVP spec you can switch to when you join a PVP match. I should be able to choose where and when I can swap at my own discretion. Talent switching is not at all a problem. It simply allows people to enjoy all the content to their liking.

Quality of life. That is what I am after people. We've clearly seen already that people are visiting the Skill Mentor to switch spec's quite a bit. And it is not fun, and becoming expensive. So I see no reason to not allow people to have two builds to switch between. This would take away the hassle entirely. It also improves my life by allowing me to level as whatever spec I want. I don't care if leveling healing is just as fast. I don't want to do it. I didn't buy this game and start to pay a monthly fee so I could "suck it up" and play a way I don't want to.

Not to mention that every MMO I have ever played has had a lack of players rolling Tanks and Healers. In my early levels playing SW:TOR I did indeed notice that there was an abundance of Tanks and Heals and that even my DPS spec could heal 4 man Heroics. However, people are getting more dispersed between planets, and my DPS spec can no longer keep up in heals. And I am seeing an abundance of groups never getting off the ground because they don't have a Tank or Healer. And it pisses me off because I would love to heal for them. But there is no way in Hell I am dropping everything I am doing to run off planet, changes specs for a cost, come back and go to their area, heal the heroic, leave the planet, repsec for a cost, and then make my way all the way back to the place I was. Sorry group, no heroic for you.

In closing I'll address one more issue someone had. They were concerned that Dual Speccing could cause dedicated Tanks and Healers to not get groups because a DPS in an already formed group decided to switch and fill the role. Bullocks. Utter bullocks. I know this will indeed happen to a degree, but the day I see dedicated Tanks and Healers consistently not getting groups because tons of DPSers started saying, "Oh I would love to switch into my tank/healing spec and not DPS", I will eat my darn Darth Malgus statue.

TL;DR: Dual Spec is awesome. Pro's far outweigh the con's. Anyone against it is a casual.

slightly offtopic here but:

Does anyone know if there is a way to "save" our UI set-ups, so when we switch specs, we can switch our buttons, and then switch back on the fly? With as dated as this UI feels, I very much doubt it.

Just reconfiguring my bars is more of a hassle than paying the fee to respec IMO.

Anyone who is cool with respecs costing so much......what is your problem? Do you walk around in real life making everything as hard as you possibly can for yourself? Do you suck all of the fun out of your day?

No?

Then why do it in a GAME?

I spend my life having to make tough decisions and living with regrets over the years, why the !@#$ should I have to do it in a GAME?

Games are for fun, it is not fun having to decide between being able to train next level and respeccing.

Sometimes.......no, correction.......TOO much of the time I think you people forget what games are all about............FUN.

Anyone who is cool with respecs costing so much......what is your problem? Do you walk around in real life making everything as hard as you possibly can for yourself? Do you suck all of the fun out of your day?

No?

Then why do it in a GAME?

I spend my life having to make tough decisions and living with regrets over the years, why the !@#$ should I have to do it in a GAME?

Games are for fun, it is not fun having to decide between being able to train next level and respeccing.

Sometimes.......no, correction.......TOO much of the time I think you people forget what games are all about............FUN.

I'm playing the Sid Meier card. (And if you don't know who Sid Meier is, you don't get to have an opinion on computer game design.)

Sid says, "a game is a series of interesting choices."

You know what's not an interesting choice? A choice that is made irrelevant because of a no-cost/low-cost respec.

Respecs should be expensive. Some of us actually enjoy making a considered, difficult choice and getting it right. Your desire to be able to bounce from spec to spec isn't automatically more valid than ours.

I don't "need" dual spec, but right now, my respec at 49 costs just under 100,000 credits. This is way too much.

I thought the amount resets every week...

...An interesting choice to reset the skill tree to try out something different :D?

Edited by Xeone

To the people who are against dual specs or cheap respecs.

If this were in game how does it affect your game play at all?

To me it seems to be some hardcore mentality from the old days of MMOS where choices mattered. Their is a reason no one played those games. It is because they sucked and were too hardcore. Their was also a stigma that only losers and dungeon and dragons type of people played those games.

WOW brought millions of people to this genre and added tools for the casual players.

People who actually have busy lives and play MMO's casually do not like to waste time doing meaningless things and like to try as many things in game as possible like being a healer and tank.

To the person who posted that he completed a heroic 4 quest with 4 healers. While I hope to god you did as that would be so dam easy. I completed 3 heroic 4 quests with 2 mercs, 1 sniper and a marauder. The mercs were dps specced and boy was it challenging and we died a lot but still completed them. If one of those mercs could have respecced to full healing boy would that have made our lives easier and saved about an hour last night.

I see the pros for some sort of dual spec far outweigh the cons.

36.5k is equivalent to 3 Ilum dailies at L50. It's not much at all.

Except this is not the cost at lvl 50. You can get as high costs at lvl 30 before the 10th respec. And it does not stop there. To be precise, I haven't seen anyone reporting that it even has an upper limit.

I'm playing the Sid Meier card. (And if you don't know who Sid Meier is, you don't get to have an opinion on computer game design.)

You know what's not an interesting choice? A choice that is made irrelevant because of a no-cost/low-cost respec.

If Sid ment that with "interesting" you know what his games would not have?

Saving and loading. Because with that you can make any choice of yours totally irrellevant because you can simply reload if you do not like the result. But all of his games have this feature. And as effect have no "interesting choices" at all if we go by your interpretation of what means "interesting".

So, no, your Sid Meier card does not apply there.

And interesting choice is not one which "matters" but one which is..you know..interesting. Where you have to think "Should I do this or that?", where is no obvious "correct" path.

Like, a choice where you have to decide "Should I permanently gain 1000 hp or permanently loose 1000 hp?" certainly matters, but it is rather boring because it is blindingly obvious what the best decision is. In other words, it isn't interesting.