The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Palpatine's Death.

jaytdasme

Besides, it's called risk management.

This can be either your justification or Palpatine's.

The solid reality is that he didn't defeat his master is combat as an aprentice should , to prove his worth ,as instructed by Bane.

With that said, *i* am not saying he should.But this is the truth of the matter,so @Trixdope is not wrong.

Edited by Kaedusz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can be either your justification or Palpatine's.

The solid reality is that he didn't defeat his master is combat as an aprentice should do, to prove his worth ,as instructed by Bane.

With that said, i am not saying he should.But this is the truth of the matter.

The novel makes it pretty clear that those ideas of one on one confrontations were thrown out long before Plagueis and Sidious were the master and apprentice, deception and deceit were shown to be the new order of the day, as well as common sense, an outright confrontation could end in both the master's death and the apprentice's, something we almost saw happen more than once.

Plus Plagueis himself made it pretty clear that Sidious had surpassed him long before the night of his death.

The novel makes it pretty clear that those ideas of one on one confrontations were thrown out long before Plagueis and Sidious were the master and apprentice, deception and deceit were shown to be the new order of the day, as well as common sense, an outright confrontation could end in both the master's death and the apprentice's, something we almost saw happen more than once.

Yes i know,that's why i said that i don't think he should have.However Bane would not be pleased.

Edited by Kaedusz

• 3 weeks later...
Not everyone can have a spectacular death.

Not just that, but Yoda indicates in the Revenge of the Sith novelization the following:

It came as the battle shifted from the holding office to the great Chancellor's Podium;

it came as the hydraulic lift beneath the Podium raised it on its tower of durasteel a

hundred meters and more, so that it became a laserpoint of battle flaring at the focus of the

vast emptiness of the Senate Arena; it came as the Force and the podium's controls ripped

delegation pods free of the curving walls and made of them hammers, battering rams,

catapult stones crashing and crushing against each other in a rolling thunder-roar that

echoed the Senate's cheers for the galaxy's new Emperor. It came when the avatar of light

resolved into the lineage of the Jedi; when the lineage of the Jedi refined into one single Jedi.

It came when Yoda found himself alone against the dark.

In that lightning-speared tornado of feet and fists and blades and bashing machines, his

vision finally pierced the darkness that had clouded the Force.

Finally, he saw the truth. This truth: that he, the avatar of light, Supreme Master of the Jedi Order, the fiercest,

most implacable, most devastatingly powerful foe the darkness had ever known...

just.

didn't.

have.

it.

He'd never had it. He had lost before he started.

He had lost before he was born.

The Sith had changed. The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand

years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself, in

preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves.

They had become new.

While the Jedi—

The Jedi had spent that same millennium training to re-fight the last war.

The new Sith could not be destroyed with a lightsaber; they could not be burned away

by any torch of the Force. The brighter his light, the darker their shadow. How could one

win a war against the dark, when war itself had become the dark's own weapon?

He knew, at that instant, that this insight held the hope of the galaxy. But if he fell

here, that hope would die with him.

Hmmm, Yoda thought. A problem this is...

I agree that someone as powerful as Sidious should have an epic battle that decides his fate, but I think it's fitting?

Like, it was completely unexpected and trivial. He'd spent a lifetime amassing his power only to be killed by the simplest of things/ways.

Just the other day I was imagining how a mighty Sith Lord might fall to the whims of nature, perhaps through a heart attack or something. Imagine he died that way. :p

id like to See Darth baras die like that at end of warrior story would have made me chuckle so much id not care about a epic battle.

also malak's hidden death was epic.

This is coming from the perspective of someone who has only read an adaptation of Ep 4 through 6 many years ago, and of course watched the movies, so if what Im about to lay down goes against written canon I apologize.

I think most people miss a lot of similarities of the moments of when Anakin became Darth Vader, and then at the end when turned back to the light. The moments are so similar in the movies I pretty much assumed this was the intended result. Ill just give the synapse of how i remember the two scenes.

Episode III: Anakin and Mace Windu enter Palpatines office to confront him, and from Mace Winndus perspective, most likely kill him. Anakin being naive and going with windu thinking that Palpatine would surrender, and go peacefully. When Anakins fantasy went to the crapper, and Windu was looking like he was most likely going to kill Palpatine, Anakin was faced with a dilema. Either let (what he believed) his one chance at bringing back his mother, and protecting the people he loved from harm, die right before him. Or save Palpatine, and learn from him the secrets of a sith lord. For a brief few moments anakin wrestles with this dillema (granted the person portrayng him didnt do so well at this), and ultimately sides with the latter option. It is that very moment Darth Vader is born, the moment where Anakin cuts the hand of Mace Windu, which ultimately leads to Windu being thrown out of the Senate tower into the chasms of Coruscants undercity.

Now lets fast foward to Episode VI: Darth Vader, defeated by his son, watches as the Emporer tries to turn his son, just as he did him so many years ago. Vader tried to get luke to join him, and defeat the emporer together as father and son. At this point that vader has pretty much given up on ever achieving his goals with the emporer, and after seeing his son, wants to redeem himself by protecting him and leia. In their final fight, both the emporer and vader wants luke to fall to the darkside, but Darth Vader isnt doing it for the emporer, hes doing it so that his son will join him and so that he can finally protect the ones he loves. He also wants remove the threats to their well being, which at that moment was the emporer. After luke defeats vader, and rejects the temptation to fall to the dark side, Vader again is faced with an ultimatum. Continue down the path of the sith, and watch his son be burned to cinders, or reject the darkside, lose his dark power, to be with his son and daughter. In the movie you see vader turning it in his head, granted its obscurred by the vaders helm you can almost feel him wrestling with the decision. It is at the very moment that when he picks up Palpatine, and tosses him into the abyss of the deathstar, that he loses his Dath Mantle, that Anakin finally does what should of been done so many years ago, that it should of been Palpatine falling to his death from that senate tower and not Mace Windu. The Emporers death was always inevitable, even the means of which he was to die was re-occuring, as if orchestrated by the force, the only difference was one mans decision, and that man was Dath vader.

Long story short, vader should of booted Palpatines *** out that window in episode three. I always thought the force was guiding this event, but as anakin was the chosen one, and it makes for a better story, we had to wait 3 more episodes for the emporer to fall to his death.

Edited by Haystak

Hay, there are many similarities between the OT and PT for example.

A New Hope: Obi-Wan, Luke's mentor dies by the hands of a Sith.

Phantom Menace: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan's mentor dies by the hands of a Sith.

Attack of the Clones: A padawan(Anakin) fights against a Sith Lord in which the latter cuts off his forearm.

Empire Strikes Back: A padawan(Luke) fights against a Sith Lord in which the latter cuts off his hand.

ROTS: Anakin turns to Darth Vader, Anakin goes over to the darkside, a Jedi Master dies by the hands of the Sith Lord.

ROTJ: Vader turns back to Anakin Skywalker, Luke rejects the darkside, a Sith Lord dies by the hands of a Jedi Knight.

There are some other things too, but eh I think ya get it.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi