Can we have REAL space combat and not more of this crap?

Sultrus

I'm not sure how I feel about STO space combat. At one point I thought it was bad, too slow and far too few options due to a lack of control over what I was doing. But I went back and tried it and found it a lot more enjoyable when you accept it for what it is.

What I do agree with is that GSF isn't very good. Even as I sit queued to play my finger hovers over the leave battle. As for the 1 balanced battles there are about 10 where I will look down my side and see all trainee pilots (2 free ships) and look across the other side and see a bunch of names I recognise with 5 ships that are fully outfitted. You wouldn't go into the Dread Palace in all white gear and yet that's the sort of odds the trainees have.

In some ways I hope GSF is left to die. It currently has no effect on the game outside of a few credits and xp. If no one played it there would be no major loss to the game. For most people I don't think they would even notice. On the other hand space combat is something that star wars can bring to the MMO that fantasy MMO's can't. And it should be exploited.

As it stands though for me it maybe a mute point, I play GSF cause there is little else to do so more out of boredom. Come April 4th TESO is launched which may well offer something more enjoyable than horribly one sided mini games. Failing that Star Citizen may offer something of a flight sim. While not set in the star wars universe is likely to offer a better flying experience than GSF.

But I went back and tried it and found it a lot more enjoyable when you accept it for what it is.

How 'bout you try the same thing with GSF? You might be surprised.

On the other hand space combat is something that star wars can bring to the MMO that fantasy MMO's can't. And it should be exploited.

Bingo.

Personally, I've pretty much given up hoping it will get much better. At this point GSF is just one of the fillers while waiting for Star Citizen.

As it stands though for me it maybe a mute point, I play GSF cause there is little else to do so more out of boredom. Come April 4th TESO is launched which may well offer something more enjoyable than horribly one sided mini games. Failing that Star Citizen may offer something of a flight sim. While not set in the star wars universe is likely to offer a better flying experience than GSF.

I think the phrase you wanted was "moot point." Not to mention, "may well?" "Likely?" Are these based on observation of reality or simply marketing and a vivid imagination (especially relevant when it comes to Hype Citizen)? Every mmo forum is littered with post after post comparing the game in front of them, with all its flaws, to the shining edifice of what they hope the Next Big Thing will be. Within a month, the forums of the Next Big Thing are littered with complaints and threats to move to the next Next Big Thing.

Edited by Buggleslor

I play STO as well. Have since open beta. Only reason I still do is because it's a great game for RPing.

But I LOL when you say SWTOR has the space combat advantage over SWTOR.

STO's inherrent bugginess/instability/lack of dev competence more than reduces STOs advantage in damned near anything.

What I do agree with is that GSF isn't very good. Even as I sit queued to play my finger hovers over the leave battle. As for the 1 balanced battles there are about 10 where I will look down my side and see all trainee pilots (2 free ships) and look across the other side and see a bunch of names I recognise with 5 ships that are fully outfitted.

That's the biggest load of bull I have seen in a long time. Your team is always made of f2p two-shippers? and the other team is always the best on the server aces? I bet if I looked at your battle record your win rate would be in the 45 to 60 range, in fact I have never encountered a player with a less than 40% win rate.

I recommend you look up confirmation bias because have a textbook case of it.

I recommend you look up confirmation bias because have a textbook case of it.

This.

It is a common issue in game forums, people letting their confirmation bias get the better of them. Frustrating matches stick to memory a lot more than nicely balanced ones.

This is why in my experience most people claim their own side sucks in PvP. Lord knows that's the case on my server, where for the longest time imps were declared masters of ground PvP... yet whenever I bothered to track it, I ended up with a positive win/loss ratio even when PUGing.

Though I will admit that sometimes I needed to look at that track record to feel better... because some matches are real stinkers, and it's natural for everyone to think their side is nothing but incompetents after one of those (or, conversely, to state the matchmaker is constantly failing).

I dislike the fact that GSF is a head to head only maps, and that it is PVP only. Star Wars Galaxies had an amazing space system, where you group up and hyperjump to coordinates to take out a star destroyer or bandits or whatever the mission terminal handed you. You could meet others in space too and just make a ad-hoc group. Head to Head battles are the worst because not a single company has been able to figure out how to construct a fair match making service. War Thunder, Mech Warrior online, Hawken all suck because of their match making, and they are head to head only!

Bioware, get yours heads out of your you know what and make a true questing system in space, I want freedom to hyperjump to whatever planet I want, and accept missions with wingmen. Head to HEAD IS THE WORST WAY TO GO.

Take an example of a once great MMO (Galaxies) before a major company (Sony) totally screwed it up. Galaxies was truly a Star Wars experience before the morons took over. You've just shot yourself in the foot here, fix it.

Even Star Conflict is better than this.

Edited by Maximusillian

I dislike the fact that GSF is a head to head only maps, and that it is PVP only. Star Wars Galaxies had an amazing space system, where you group up and hyperjump to coordinates to take out a star destroyer or bandits or whatever the mission terminal handed you. You could meet others in space too and just make a ad-hoc group. Head to Head battles are the worst because not a single company has been able to figure out how to construct a fair match making service. War Thunder, Mech Warrior online, Hawken all suck because of their match making, and they are head to head only!

Bioware, get yours heads out of your you know what and make a true questing system in space, I want freedom to hyperjump to whatever planet I want, and accept missions with wingmen. Head to HEAD IS THE WORST WAY TO GO.

Take an example of a once great MMO (Galaxies) before a major company (Sony) totally screwed it up. Galaxies was truly a Star Wars experience before the morons took over. You've just shot yourself in the foot here, fix it.

Even Star Conflict is better than this.

1. This isn't SWG and never was gonna be so let it go.

2. They already said before GSF launched that they didn't code and build npc ships to freely move through 3D space and until they figure that out there won't be pve GSF. But even then it won't be free roaming like you want and will be instance like a flash point or an operation.

Edited by MisterBlackJack