Is Starfighter still SW?

AceFirstCav

I´m occasionally playing Starfighter and for me it is after each update less SW and more regular FPS (nobody can consider this seriously as space fighter simulation, not even as attempt). Gunships are snipers and bombers are engineers, starfighters are just grunts with low impact on final result. Which is really sad, because there are lots of FPS but I would like to play online something like was X-Wing vs TIE fighter.

How can you feel like in SW universe, when space is filled with camping gunships and bombers? SW space fights are supposed to be build on classical dogfights.

Current Gunships sniping other ships from distance are completly outside whole universe. Basis for gunships is good - heavily armored, well armed but slow and with low maneuverability. But where they took sniping?? It is SW, all are shooting at short distance and even so they have problem to hit anything (even if we put the immortality of the main heroes away).

Bombers are now main damage dealers. Just load out drones and they will do its job :mad:. Bombers? Really? Seems like all SW movies, books, comics etc. have it wrong. They were using bombers for bombing of ground units or attacking main ships. But in fact they are perfect for shooting down fighters with drones :eek:

If you want bombers so bad, make main ships moving thru space battlefield. Bombers will be only ships able to effectively stop them. Therefore it will be priority to shoot down bombers of other side and simultaneously protect your own bombers. If none side will have pilots flying with bombers, it can be piloted just by computer. That will be nothing new, since drones are already independent now.

Please, make Starfighter again little more SW and less ordinary FPS.

I'm wondering if some players have same feeling about this game or it is just me.

Yawn,

:rolleyes:

Agreed

GS may be a bit FPS because of sniping but accuracy evasion all that is pure MMO.

Bombers are the most MMO ship ever,

I've played every type of SW game out there, they are of the widest variety of any game theme. GSF is certainly SW.

Also there is nothing for bombers to attack other then fighters so Proton inertia bombs make no sense. The Pike/Quell fills the role that a SW bomber would do actually with it's large missile load. Bombers really shouldn't ave been called bombers but there is noting fundamentally wrong with the class gameplay wise.

You could call GSF a Frankenstein of a game, but all of Frankenstein's parts came from the same species.

Yeah, I'd love it if Bioware had made a good SW space combat sim.

No, GSF does not have more than a very faint resemblance to a space combat sim.

It is what it is, and it can be fun. Heck, it can be a lot of fun.

Besides, if you want a combat flight experience there are very good games out there and under development. If you can live without the SW graphics, the play experience is pretty awesome.

When I want to fly I go with DCS, and I did a crowd funding purchase on the development of the StarCitizen project, which I'm hoping will be good enough to get me to joyfully and permanently abandon SWTOR. The down side of that sort of game built by people who really care about getting it right, is that content doesn't get released until it's ready. A four month delay on what they had hoped to push out on a patch, well you're not going to get much of an apology, and you certainly won't get a refund. It does make for pretty kick-*** content when it finally comes out though. Basically the next gaming patches that I'm going to be really happy about are going to come 6-18 months down the road, if they don't get pushed back. That's from last major releases 3- 6 months ago.

You get what you wait for I suppose. As much as I gripe about some aspects, Bioware really did a pretty impressive job with GSF given the time and resources that they had available.

Edited by Ramalina

JTL did ship roles way better. Sure there were some hitbox issues with some of the chassis, but overall fighters, interceptors and bombers were all dogfighters in their own way. Here, gunships aren't even really gunships, they're turrets, and bombers aren't bombers they're minelayers.

I dominate every TDM I'm in ... in my Blackbolt. And I can tell you that when I'm ducking and weaving through canyons and asteroids, chasing my target down even as I juke to avoid incoming enemy fire, I feel like I'm flying a starfighter in Star Wars.