played SWG?

DarthVandares

Good edits. :D The sheer vastness and open wilderness of the game made it phenomenal. My first Jedi kill is up in my top 3 favorite MMO moments ever for sure. Sneaking up on him while he was grinding on Dantooine. Silly Jedi. :p

Man I miss hunting Jedi so much. I collected my first bounty off a Jedi who was in Mos Eisley Cantina role playing with some dancers... Lol I was cracking up for hours.

I remember it sucked when you spent hours sometimes tracking one down only to find they are in the middle of nowhere on some planet afk in their house.... good times.

Edited by Motovator

It's been a long time since I've played it, I miss everything about it I really liked the sandbox. But I don't really think about it when playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, pretend it's sandbox lol :p Edited by thermium

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see why you all miss it so much when you can play it now .. as of this writing I'm waiting on a batch flame throwers so my alt can slice em. Aye it is not complete and there is no JTL (yet) but still I have yet to be disappointed. Jedi are disabled atm for further development/testing, but Hydian Way are running their own server with Jedi enabled.

Though I should warn you .. if you play SWG emu you will miss SWTOR lol. Just flip flop between the games .. depending what your in the mood for.

I don't see why you all miss it so much when you can play it now .. as of this writing I'm waiting on a batch flame throwers so my alt can slice em. Aye it is not complete and there is no JTL (yet) but still I have yet to be disappointed. Jedi are disabled atm for further development/testing, but Hydian Way are running their own server with Jedi enabled.

Though I should warn you .. if you play SWG emu you will miss SWTOR lol. Just flip flop between the games .. depending what your in the mood for.

but you need your original discs to play the emu B^( i lost mine years ago in a move so no emu for me.

also kinda surprised you didn't put in a link for people that don't know what you are talking about B^P

I played SWG at launch until the CU. I had a lot of fond memories, but I also remember other things too:

A near complete lack of any sort of story content.

Grossly overpowered buffs that enabled players to solo content meant for a group of 20.

Every enemy racing up to melee despite the existence of blasters.

Recursive macros that enabled people to level a character wihtout ever actually playing the character.

PVP being forced on huge numbers of unwilling participants who simply wanted to engage in the core Star Wars fantasy of being a Jedi.

Let's not forget that the NGE didn't happen because SOE and LA somehow "got greedy" but because they'd driven away over 850k of the million people who purchased the game and were bleeding subs at a rate of 15k per month. SWG was fun, but extremely broken.

I played SWG at launch until the CU. I had a lot of fond memories, but I also remember other things too:

Grossly overpowered buffs that enabled players to solo content meant for a group of 20.

Recursive macros that enabled people to level a character wihtout ever actually playing the character.

PVP being forced on huge numbers of unwilling participants who simply wanted to engage in the core Star Wars fantasy of being a Jedi.

Let's not forget that the NGE didn't happen because SOE and LA somehow "got greedy" but because they'd driven away over 850k of the million people who purchased the game and were bleeding subs at a rate of 15k per month. SWG was fun, but extremely broken.

I was like 11 and even I remember these things.

Funny how grown men forgot how problematic even the original SWG was.

I played at launch on a US server from the UK - Eclipse was my original home - Biere was my toon selling Stry'kers weapons from my store on Tatooine.

Engaging every night in battles between Bestine and Anchorhead. Good times.

Rolled on Infinity when Euro got servers - a Bounty Hunter Wyatt Earp. Set up a big guild on Taris I think which was pretty big (Order 66) stayed until NGE and used to run swgalaxies.net

I left SWG early too. Joined at launch and was gone within six months. I think the tipping point for me happened when I was working my way up the trees to actually become a Smuggler and realized "Hey, wait a minute! Why am I doing this when there's not actually any SMUGGLING for me to do when I get these trees filled in?" It didn't take long after that for me to actually leave, delete the game and toss the discs. I went back to Ultima Online and stayed there until I got hooked on City of Heroes. Now I'm here.

So, yeah, I have more nostalgia for UO than I do for SWG. Never felt like I was wasting my time in UO.