Beating a dead horse: my issue with Gunships.

BobBudJones

If you see a gunship that sees you and you charge at them head on - you're brain dead and deserve to be reduced to space dust. And please don't try to disagree with this, save your public image (what's left of it anyway).

If you didn't know - the range of a gunship is 15 km. Get 15+ km distance from that gunship and wait until they switch the target. After that - you can engage them (again - don't be brain dead and charge at them straight on).

Not getting this. Lets say you find yourself 8k away from a Gunship and you see each other, the only option is to run and get shot in the back?!?!

...and what if during your attempt to get out of range you put yourself within range of another Gunship?

Edited by Kaivers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not getting this. Lets say you find yourself 8k away from a Gunship and you see each other, the only option is to run and get shot in the back?!?!

Not true, here are a few other options:

1) Barrel roll

2) Do an actual barrel roll. (Boost + roll left + trace a circle counterclockwise with the mouse). Its rediculously difficult to hit a person doing this as their marker moves in all 3 axis at the same time and with irregular pace. (Sin,Cos,Radial changes in motion).

3) LOS

4) Cycle shields double front/back and power shields

The single best counter against gunships? field awareness.

Not true, here are a few other options:

1) Barrel roll

2) Do an actual barrel roll. (Boost + roll left + trace a circle counterclockwise with the mouse). Its rediculously difficult to hit a person doing this as their marker moves in all 3 axis at the same time and with irregular pace. (Sin,Cos,Radial changes in motion).

3) LOS

4) Cycle shields double front/back and power shields

The single best counter against gunships? field awareness.

Running away certainly isn't the only option. In my opinion if you are that close its best to use all the tools you have at your disposal to engage the Gunship. If your only option is to "run"/outmaneuver him...boost/barrel roll directly towards him and hope you get behind him before he gets a shot off. If you are that close and you boost/barrel roll in the opposite direction he's just going to shoot you in the back anyway.

...and what if during your attempt to get out of range you put yourself within range of another Gunship?

Wow... you must have some reading comprehension problems and worse tunnel vision syndrome than a bad gunship. OP's problem was not being able to get through 15 km distance when a gunship targets him and shoots from Ion Railgun. Do I need to give a break down on what to do by every single km of distance? or make it by every 100 meters?

There is a skill called situational awareness as well as skill called analytical thinking (this one filters dumb questions before they leave your head in verbal or written from and also helps with other tasks)

And you must be directionally challenged if you can't kite in the direction of your capital ship as the chances of meeting another enemy gunship there is extremely low.

Whats the second missile break that gunships have access to? I don't think i've ever seen someone with more than one.

Edit: Ah ok distortion field, that makes for a rather flimsy gunship though. Better hope you can barrel roll fast because my blasters alone are gonna rip you a new one in the opener.

My gunship build is 100% fine. In fact, it's really the only good Type 1 Gunship build. Distortion field offers more defenses than the other shield options available to type 1 gunships (fortress shield is entirely without merit, being a worthless 70% shield that becomes a 140% shield at the cost of holding still, and feedback shield is a 100% shield with nothing else to offer defensively- meanwhile, distortion actually gives you defenses).

The EMP scout is a very good support for killing a gunship, however!

My gunship build is 100% fine. In fact, it's really the only good Type 1 Gunship build. Distortion field offers more defenses than the other shield options available to type 1 gunships (fortress shield is entirely without merit, being a worthless 70% shield that becomes a 140% shield at the cost of holding still, and feedback shield is a 100% shield with nothing else to offer defensively- meanwhile, distortion actually gives you defenses).

The EMP scout is a very good support for killing a gunship, however!

Didn't mean anything against your build, just saying I haven't seen that before. As for the EMP scout, its very situational. Until you get EMP to tier 5 its useful only against bombers and losing the booster recharge is a huge mobility nerf. I prefer to have to give pilots like you a merry chase (at least you're not shooting at my team while I do so) than give up my spare fuel tank but thats just me.

Wow... you must have some reading comprehension problems and worse tunnel vision syndrome than a bad gunship. OP's problem was not being able to get through 15 km distance when a gunship targets him and shoots from Ion Railgun. Do I need to give a break down on what to do by every single km of distance? or make it by every 100 meters?

There is a skill called situational awareness as well as skill called analytical thinking (this one filters dumb questions before they leave your head in verbal or written from and also helps with other tasks)

And you must be directionally challenged if you can't kite in the direction of your capital ship as the chances of meeting another enemy gunship there is extremely low.

Actually the OP never said that. You clearly have all the issues you accuse me of having. I knew there were kids and crazies on these forums but wow...just wow!

Actually the OP never said that. You clearly have all the issues you accuse me of having. I knew there were kids and crazies on these forums but wow...just wow!

You must be an idiot to be unable to decipher this part of the OP:

Now let's say you're in a Gunship. You do lots of long range damage (in fact relatively much more than a Merc, compared to your opposition). You see a Scout/Striker/Bomber. They see you. They come at you. You pop them with your Ion railgun, and they're dead in the water. No shields, possibly slowed or not regenning energy, weapons and engine power drained. They die. Either to you or to another ship, before they can even get close to you. Unless that is they can somehow close 15 km without ever giving the Gunship LOS (not likely and would take a prohibitively long time, meanwhile the gunny is blasting away at other enemies).

Special translation for Kaivers:

There is a gunship that does long range damage. Gunship sees you (scout/strike/bomber) and you see them. You charge at them and get hit with Ion Railgun and you are as good as dead without shields, engine/weapon energy and with regeneration debuff. You die either by that gunship's railgun or by other ship's weapons before you can get close to that gunship, UNLESS you can find a way to close that 15 km distance without being hit by that gunship due to good use of LOS (which is very hard and will take a long time while the gunship blows up your team)

As everyone with some analytical ability can see, the OP points out at the problem of closing the 15 km distance to the gunship that targets you. (You can even look at the name of the thread to understand that OP's point of view is not from a gunship's prospective) Therefore my comment about your ability stands true. Keep raging and be in denial, it does not change the facts.

You must be an idiot to be unable to decipher this part of the OP:

Special translation for Kaivers:

There is a gunship that does long range damage. Gunship sees you (scout/strike/bomber) and you see them. You charge at them and get hit with Ion Railgun and you are as good as dead without shields, engine/weapon energy and with regeneration debuff. You die either by that gunship's railgun or by other ship's weapons before you can get close to that gunship, UNLESS you can find a way to close that 15 km distance without being hit by that gunship due to good use of LOS (which is very hard and will take a long time while the gunship blows up your team)

As everyone with some analytical ability can see, the OP points out at the problem of closing the 15 km distance to the gunship that targets you. (You can even look at the name of the thread to understand that OP's point of view is not from a gunship's prospective) Therefore my comment about your ability stands true. Keep raging and be in denial, it does not change the facts.

LOL! Really? Ok bud if you say so...wow.

There's a little something called context..look it up sometime.

Edit: Apparently you didn't read this part of his closing statement. OP: "Can you even imagine the QQ if Mercs or Sorcs had a max-range CC/slow that also half-killed the target in one shot, and no melee class had any--ANY--tools to counter it?"

Edited by Kaivers

LOL! Really? Ok bud if you say so...wow.

There's a little something called context..look it up sometime.

Edit: Apparently you didn't read this part of his closing statement. OP: "Can you even imagine the QQ if Mercs or Sorcs had a max-range CC/slow that also half-killed the target in one shot, and no melee class had any--ANY--tools to counter it?"

I think you should stop trying... otherwise there will be no way to save your public face.

You're the one who needs to refresh the meaning of the word context, since you're out of one.

That part of the OP is just a QQ about developers being passive and not nefring gunships to the point where there is no point in flying one. In OP's mind, comparing FPS to Non-FPS game is perfectly normal and that example is so relevant that any developer should just not eat and sleep to implement vague changes that are being QQed for no later than tomorrow. As others pointed out - OP has a L2P issue as gunships can be killed and even OP admits that he can kill gunships by sneaking up on them. If OP is being a fool for charging at a gunship that targets him from 15km away - it's his problem. Melee class is at disadvantage if they are fighting ranged class and start at max distance. Ranged class is at disadvantage if they fight a melee class and start at melee distance. Stealth Class is at disadvantage then they start a fight while not in stealth and they have an advantage when they are opening on the enemy from stealth. It would be stupid to expect to have an advantage when fighting a gunship with a scout while starting at 15 km range.

And again, speaking of context... you tried to be "smart" and call me out on my suggestion to move out of gunships range, instead of trying to close 15km distance when a gunship is targeting you. You thought it was a "smart" idea to say "what if you're at 8 km?" (how was that even in 15 km context?).

Feel free to post your apologies once you're done reading and crying.

I think you should stop trying... otherwise there will be no way to save your public face.

You're the one who needs to refresh the meaning of the word context, since you're out of one.

That part of the OP is just a QQ about developers being passive and not nefring gunships to the point where there is no point in flying one. In OP's mind, comparing FPS to Non-FPS game is perfectly normal and that example is so relevant that any developer should just not eat and sleep to implement vague changes that are being QQed for no later than tomorrow. As others pointed out - OP has a L2P issue as gunships can be killed and even OP admits that he can kill gunships by sneaking up on them. If OP is being a fool for charging at a gunship that targets him from 15km away - it's his problem. Melee class is at disadvantage if they are fighting ranged class and start at max distance. Ranged class is at disadvantage if they fight a melee class and start at melee distance. Stealth Class is at disadvantage then they start a fight while not in stealth and they have an advantage when they are opening on the enemy from stealth. It would be stupid to expect to have an advantage when fighting a gunship with a scout while starting at 15 km range.

And again, speaking of context... you tried to be "smart" and call me out on my suggestion to move out of gunships range, instead of trying to close 15km distance when a gunship is targeting you. You thought it was a "smart" idea to say "what if you're at 8 km?" (how was that even in 15 km context?).

Feel free to post your apologies once you're done reading and crying.

LOL! Just admit that you're a Gunship fanatic who loves easy mode and doesn't want to see Ion Railgun nerfed again. We will leave it at that...have fun chasing your tail.

Edited by Kaivers

LOL! Just admit that you're a Gunship fanatic who loves easy mode and doesn't want to see Ion Railgun nerfed again. We will leave it at that...have fun chasing your tail.

Is that it? Since you couldn't provide any evidence to support your yapping you decided to assume that I play only a gunship? How nice of you... and by nice I mean pathetic.

Just so you sleep well at night I'll tell you a secret that I have both scouts mastered, type one strike mastered and drone carrier half way mastered, and guess what... I don't have an issue dealing with gunships on my scouts and strike. Bomber isn't cut to duel a gunship openly, so knowing my role I don't duel gunships.

Too bad that you had nothing more to say... but feel free to come back with more irrelevant posts, they are amusing.

Ok I have been playing Gunships a lot lately and would like to give some of my point of view to this discussion.

First, I have a really poor internet connection atm because I'm not playing from home due to my work. Which means I got a latency of about 400 - 900ms. With such a latency any kind of dogfighting is more or less impossible because I can never hit with my lasers. Missile lock works, but missiles alone usually are not sufficient to succeed. I don't have a bomber yet so I tried to see if I can contribute with the GS.

Well , with the GS I can do ok even with my high latency connection. There is just too many players around that got tunnelvision, do not dodge or just move in a straight line, so I can easily line up a shot. Every ship that sits around and doesn't move (or moves in a predictable way) is just a free kill for a GS. On the other hand, any pilot that has some spacial awareness and spots me and starts chasing me down will destroy my gunship easily (I'm not good at dogfighting under the best circumstances and right now I am a free kill in close combat).

But still in most games I manage a K/D ratio of 2:1 or better. This may give fuel to the argument of "GS are OP" now, but I rather have a different argument: The GS weeds out the bad or inexperienced players. It is easier to handle and easier to be successful with (imho) - but as the general skill level rises it is also easier countered than other ships and it will - just like with the other vessels - need a good pilot to really shine.

Can't quote the voluminous various responses of WiseStranger to save space but generally:

1. I didn't mean to imply that one should charge head on at a gunship from 15km. Duh.

2. Calling GSF a FPS is AT LEAST as off-base as comparing it to ground PvP. FPS's don't have any kind of "evasion" or "accuracy" mechanics. They might have weapon/item progression, but not NEARLY to the degree that GSF does.

If you don't like the comparison, fine. But balance between range, damage potential, crowd control, mobility etc is inherent to ANY PvP experience regardless of whether you have to aim to hit an opponent or not. So to me the comparison is legit.

3. Your suggestion on how to deal with one who spots you is to....run away and wait for them to target someone else, then you sneak up on them? Really?? I mean, that's what I generally do, but that is not BALANCED. That is what one is FORCED to do when they are in a battle they can't win by normal means. Saying that it's perfectly legit that the only way to kill a certain type of foe is when you have 100% drop on them is ludicrous.

4. Oh, so I need to build my ship specifically to take out gunships if I want to be able to deal with them? I see, that's so balanced considering that the gunship pilot can only build one way (your admission), that just so happens to be effective against EVERYTHING.

5. Suggesting that in order to take down two gunships working together I need to organize my team to go after them is just LOL. Does anyone even read the chat inside GSF? Rarely. Does a team have to work together to stop 2 scouts or strikers who are working together? No. And don't suggest that I need to be in a guild/premade/using VOIP to deal with gunships, because again, that is not BALANCED.

All in all, your post is basically just a string of insults, with very little reasonable argument. You take everything I say out of context, avoid the main question, and basically say "L2P." Spoken like a true gunship lover who enjoys his advantage.

In response to the poster after you, who says it's no problem taking down an ISOLATED gunship, well, of course. Isolated ones aren't nearly the problem that multiple gunships working together present. Plus, I can only presume that in your scenario, you spot the gunny first. So what if I'm engaged with someone else, and the gunship spots me and fires his ion railgun? Game over?

Anyway, just to restate my main assertion:

I'm NOT saying that there is "no way to deal with any gunships evarrrr." I'm not saying that jumping in an un-upgraded gunship is like pressing the "I win" button.

What I'm saying is that they have the ability to do massive amounts of damage from extremely long range, with an aiming mechanic that is very easy to hit with, and in that SAME SHOT they can also slow the enemy ship to a crawl and leave them vulnerable not only to the gunship but to anyone else who happens to be nearby. It is my opinion that any "class" in a PvP game that can only be dealt with when you can catch them completely unawares, is NOT BALANCED. By suggesting that the best way to deal with gunships is to sneak up on them/wait til they target someone else and are otherwise engaged actually supports my argument.

In order to do what you suggest, in a match with multiple gunships, I would literally have to ignore every other ship on the field and concentrate only on hunting down gunships. That is simply not possible, and no other ship requires that type of singular focus. Hence, UNBALANCED.

3. Your suggestion on how to deal with one who spots you is to....run away and wait for them to target someone else, then you sneak up on them? Really??

That's not that bad. When he is targeting you, he isn't doing anything because you are hiding. When he picks a new target, then you (or others) are shutting him down directly.

4. Oh, so I need to build my ship specifically to take out gunships if I want to be able to deal with them?

No gunship build can solo a sting unless that sting is super far away and engaged in interpretive dance with a damned pike. They have a support build, and you are talking solo stuff. Many many ships can chase away a gunship. You don't have to build that way, but if you don't it is someone else's job. Do you trust them to do it?

Let's see:

1. I didn't mean to imply that one should charge head on at a gunship from 15km. Duh.

#1 Fine... if you didn't mean it you didn't mean it. The fact remains - you don't charge at a gunship that targets you from 15 km and expect to make it there every single time.

2. Calling GSF a FPS is AT LEAST as off-base as comparing it to ground PvP. FPS's don't have any kind of "evasion" or "accuracy" mechanics. They might have weapon/item progression, but not NEARLY to the degree that GSF does.

If you don't like the comparison, fine. But balance between range, damage potential, crowd control, mobility etc is inherent to ANY PvP experience regardless of whether you have to aim to hit an opponent or not. So to me the comparison is legit.

#2 It's not "at least as far off". GSF is closer to FPS (and TPS) than anything you've referenced. It doesn't matter what kind of weapon progression you have, that's not a defining characteristic of a FPS. You don't have a pure RNG system in GSF as you have in ground PvP, you actually got to aim your shots and you can move your ship to avoid non-lock-on attakcs. Yes you have some degree of RNG that doesn't belong in a FPS/TPS - Evasion. As for accuracy - depending on realism of a FPS/TPS developers include such attributes as accuracy based on the target's distance.

3. Your suggestion on how to deal with one who spots you is to....run away and wait for them to target someone else, then you sneak up on them? Really?? I mean, that's what I generally do, but that is not BALANCED. That is what one is FORCED to do when they are in a battle they can't win by normal means. Saying that it's perfectly legit that the only way to kill a certain type of foe is when you have 100% drop on them is ludicrous.

#3 It's sad that you don't realize such a basic rule of combat... if you can avoid starting a fight at a disadvantage - you do it. If you know there is a sniper - you don't just stroll into an open area and wonder why you got your head full of lead; you find an alternative route. If you're not an archer - you don't start a fight with an archer in an open field by shouting to that archer that you're going to kill him; you'll become a hedgehog before you make it to a distance from which you might harm him. If a gunship is targeting you - they are not shooting at anyone else, they have to charge a shot for 2.7 seconds before they can deal some serious damage, and every second of holding a railgun at full charge - drains their energy. There is no build in this game that would allow a gunship to hold a fully charged shot indefinitely. Gunship's railgun mechanic is closest to a man using a bow, not a crossbow.

4. Oh, so I need to build my ship specifically to take out gunships if I want to be able to deal with them? I see, that's so balanced considering that the gunship pilot can only build one way (your admission), that just so happens to be effective against EVERYTHING.

#4 Wow... really? You don't build your ship for close range fights? Who are you trying to BS here? And don't tell me that you take Weapon Power Converter instead of Retro Thrusters as a strike fighter for dogfighting. Any good pilot knows what they build their ship for, so if you're building your ships to have an advantage at close range - you're not building it to be competitive against long range. Surprised? And as for your comment about gunship... yes... gunship can only be built one way, because any other way will make you a free kill. Do you like to be a free kill in your scout or strike? Don't you try to actually pick components that give you advantage for a particular situation you have in mind? A gunship is not born to dogfight, they don't have enough turning rate to be effective at that. If you're stupid - yes, a good gunship will turn you into a space dust even with primary weapons, but being stupid is not an excuse to ask for nerfs. No gunship can kill a good scout or strike in a pure dogfight (aside from lucky shots). So coming back to main point, if you don't build your ship to have better chances against gunships - it's your choice, at least you have one, because a gunship can not be built to be effective in dogfighting no matter what you do.

5. Suggesting that in order to take down two gunships working together I need to organize my team to go after them is just LOL. Does anyone even read the chat inside GSF? Rarely. Does a team have to work together to stop 2 scouts or strikers who are working together? No. And don't suggest that I need to be in a guild/premade/using VOIP to deal with gunships, because again, that is not BALANCED.

#5 Again... Really? Aren't you too full of yourself? Watching too many SW movies where one jedi takes out 20 bad guys solo? If there are 2 good pilots working together - you need at least 2 good pilots to counter them. What makes you think that would be different for scouts, strikes or gunships? I queue solo most of the time and even when I'm invited into a group I don't use VOIP and do well. You can see your enemy before you start - you know the names that are dangerous and the ships they fly; you can make a plan before you start.

All in all, your post is basically just a string of insults, with very little reasonable argument. You take everything I say out of context, avoid the main question, and basically say "L2P." Spoken like a true gunship lover who enjoys his advantage.

I have more reason in my arguments than you have in your QQing. I have enough experience killing gunships as a gunship and killing gunships as a scout/strike to say that it's possible (I have mastered strike, scouts and a gunship). If gunship was that easy, you'd see more good gunship pilots, but the good gunships are too few when compared to the number of good scouts/strikes flying around. Why don't you play a gunship to something like 12/1 kill/death ratio after 50 games and comeback to tell the tale of how easy that was? And while you're at it try a few games with Rotational Thrusters and Fortress Shield just to prove me that there is another effective way to build a gunship.

In response to the poster after you, who says it's no problem taking down an ISOLATED gunship, well, of course. Isolated ones aren't nearly the problem that multiple gunships working together present. Plus, I can only presume that in your scenario, you spot the gunny first. So what if I'm engaged with someone else, and the gunship spots me and fires his ion railgun? Game over?

Nope.. you disengage and run. But you can stay and die if you prefer that. Ion Railgun doesn't drain 100% of your weapon/engine pool. It only drains you for like 35 and if you always have only 35 in your pool when you know there is a gunship somewhere - you're doing it wrong. I've been on giving and receiving end of ion railgun shots and know that it's not the end of the world.

Anyway, just to restate my main assertion:

I'm NOT saying that there is "no way to deal with any gunships evarrrr." I'm not saying that jumping in an un-upgraded gunship is like pressing the "I win" button.

What I'm saying is that they have the ability to do massive amounts of damage from extremely long range, with an aiming mechanic that is very easy to hit with, and in that SAME SHOT they can also slow the enemy ship to a crawl and leave them vulnerable not only to the gunship but to anyone else who happens to be nearby. It is my opinion that any "class" in a PvP game that can only be dealt with when you can catch them completely unawares, is NOT BALANCED. By suggesting that the best way to deal with gunships is to sneak up on them/wait til they target someone else and are otherwise engaged actually supports my argument.

In order to do what you suggest, in a match with multiple gunships, I would literally have to ignore every other ship on the field and concentrate only on hunting down gunships. That is simply not possible, and no other ship requires that type of singular focus. Hence, UNBALANCED.

If you don't have enough skill to deal with gunships and close 15 km gap - run away and comeback when they target someone else. Some people can deal with gunships and can take a fight into a close range where gunships do not do well. I mentioned that before and will do it again: gunships don't do well in a dogfight against good scouts and strikes. Gunships do very well in a long range fight. It's stupid to say that an archer should be bad at hitting targets farther than melee range, same idea applies to gunships.

And if you didn't know... it's easier to kill any ship when they are busy killing someone else. That includes scouts and strikes, not only gunships. If you can sneak up on any ship from behind - you're likely to kill them if they don't pay attention. In a match with multiple gunships on the enemy side you need to get equal number of people on them. 1 per gunship... I know.... such a novel idea... I completely understand why you haven't thought about it yourself. In Domination, dealing with multiple gunships is much easier than dealing with multiple bombers, so I look forward to your next QQ thread: "Beating a dead horse: my issue with Bombers."

TL;DR: L2P

As a Scout player, I'm really okay with Gunships. except for a couple of points.

1st I'd put a limit on how long they can sit in Sniper mode. I've played multiple matches where 3 players in gunships will hover on top of the map taking out anything at range and never moving. It's a space combat game, ships needs to move.

2nd is some of the gunship pilots are starting to learn the veteran tricks. One being if a ship has them on the run and is trailing close to them, going into sniper mode basically is a giant air brake, the trail ship flies past and then the gunship just shoots them dead. I'd say limiting the number of shots allowed (2-3 max) in sniper mode before forcing them out of that mode with a short (3 seconds?) cooldown before being able to go back into that mode.

Edited by BraxKedren

Now this is just BS.

Have you not played Battlefield?

Calling GSF a FPS is AT LEAST as off-base as comparing it to ground PvP. FPS's don't have any kind of "evasion" or "accuracy" mechanics.
Just about every FPS game now days has a reticule that grows and shrinks when you run, crouch, single fire, burst fire, etc. If that's not an accuracy mechanic I don't know what is. For snipers they have simulated breathing.

Your suggestion on how to deal with one who spots you is to....run away and wait for them to target someone else, then you sneak up on them?...Oh, so I need to build my ship specifically to take out gunships if I want to be able to deal with them?
You don't always need to run away from them and you don't necessarily need to built specifically to counter them. I only fly one ship, a tier 2 scout. There is no ship or player I won't go up against and there is almost no opposition I will back away from (exceptions are 2+ bombers mined up on a node and cap ship GS campers). If you find yourself under attack from a gunship disengage and re-engage when you have the advantage. Even if they have me targeted the whole time I can still close the distance and the have no option but to run or die.

I'm not saying that jumping in an un-upgraded gunship is like pressing the "I win" button.
It is definitely not an I win button. I actually wish people would stop saying so. I wouldn't want to see someone save up and spent fleet req on a ship they think will make them good only to continue dying over and over.

In order to do what you suggest, in a match with multiple gunships, I would literally have to ignore every other ship on the field and concentrate only on hunting down gunships. That is simply not possible, and no other ship requires that type of singular focus.
If there are multiple gunships on the map what is wrong with focusing them the whole match. With a lot of gunships on the field you will always have someone to target and go after. Nothing wrong with that. I solo queue so I'm in a lot of matches with inexperienced players. If I see 2-3 gunships taking my team out I'll make sure they are always running or dead. Letting gunships free farm in either TDM or domination will usually result in a loss. Oh and I think a good player, not a type of ship, is what requires constant focus. I have had 4+ enemy focusing me to get me off a node or trying to kill me in TDM on my scout.

As a Scout player, I'm really okay with Gunships. except for a couple of points.

1st I'd put a limit on how long they can sit in Sniper mode. I've played multiple matches where 3 players in gunships will hover on top of the map taking out anything at range and never moving. It's a space combat game, ships needs to move.

2nd is some of the gunship pilots are starting to learn the veteran tricks. One being if a ship has them on the run and is trailing close to them, going into sniper mode basically is a giant air brake, the trail ship flies past and then the gunship just shoots them dead. I'd say limiting the number of shots allowed (2-3 max) in sniper mode before forcing them out of that mode with a short (3 seconds?) cooldown before being able to go back into that mode.

You can see where their noses are pointed at form the heading marker, stop flying head on into 3 gunships on a frikin scout, you're SUPPOSED to die. Come form the sides with team mates. If your team mates can't be bothered to coordinate, it's hardly a cause for changing anything just because you can't take on 3 ships on your own.

If a GS stops and starts charging, immediately pull up or down and you won't be in his sights at all. The turn rate while zoomed is so small that they won't turn fast enough to shoot you before you've done a loop. Don't try to get a shot in, just loop immediately.

So here is an idea, instead of crying for nerf/changes, how bout you stop beating your head against a wall and learn to play the damn game. And no, before you even start with the usual "I have 5894965983593706853670 matches played !!11" garbage I'll say my reply before hand.

All those matches and you've learned nothing?

Edited by Jandi

Well you can really try to organize people that you can't even talk to unless you can convince them to go on your third party voice program (many don't want to) and specifically try to fight teams of gunships. If you organize it's still an uphill battle against 3+ that stay at max range or you can just be a gunship. Being a gunship will get you the more kills and probably less deaths than if you play another ship.

More people are moving to the second option or the third option which is stop playing GSF. Queues are getting longer on my server.

Also funny how the one gunship says it weeds out bad players. LOL Getting one shot from a sniper because you are going after another target or flying in the open for a moment doesn't make you bad. There is no area that gives permanent cover. You have to do those things unless you are a gunship and especially if you are going after a gunship. Gunships are GSF easy mode, admit it. Highest damage, furthest range, second highest hit points, easiest accuracy, and with barrel roll they can move as fast as anyone else.

Edited by NathanielStarr