The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ability to buy and unlock class buffs!

Konta_Takuto

This is ridiculous not every class appeals to everyone, and not everyone has a desire to play a new character up to chapter 2 to unlock the legacy buffs especially those of us who are on barren servers

Lazy people in warzones who don't buff is really quite annoying, its been a problem since launch and I have to resort to going in ops chat and saying BUFF! and even then they still don't buff.

in example I have knight buff and consular buff unlocked...I die and im waiting at the gate, a smuggler dies and stands at the gate waiting....I buff them immediately like I do with anyone, giving them 2 buffs and they just stand there without buffing me or themselves for that matter D:

Whether its 60, 120, 300, or even 600 Cartel Coins per buff, I think its a good idea! I'm sure plenty of people will unlock all the buffs just to get it over with! That way they don't need to rely on strangers to buff them.

Edited by Konta_Takuto

Why not?

How would the ability to unlock class buffs with Cartel Coins have a negative impact on another players game play?

It would not have a negative impact and would allow Bioware/EA another source of revenue.

Too many are already lazy and entitled enough when it comes to this game. Besides the story/experience that comes from actually earning the buffs, there is a better understanding of how each class works. We don't need every freaking thing turned into microtransactions; that really does become pay to win, and no game that goes down that road is going to continue to be worth playing.

..... they can be unlocked either side... don't feel like playing a bh for the buff? Do a trooper...

Trooper-Bounty Hunter

Smuggler-Agent

Knight-Warrior

Consular-Inquisitor

Its silly easy to at least get through chapter two of stories. Unless your total fail/so lazy comic book guy from the simpsons would laugh at you, there's no real reason not to be able to get them.

But then again, I'm forgetting that this has turned out to be the laziest most self entitled generation yet. People wanting to just buy anything instead of working for it explains things like WOW putting in the option to pay $60 to get a insta level 90 character...

Edited by XiamaraSimi

..... they can be unlocked either side... don't feel like playing a bh for the buff? Do a trooper...

Trooper-Bounty Hunter

Smuggler-Agent

Knight-Warrior

Consular-Inquisitor

I understand that but that furthers my point that there could be even more classes that don't appeal to players, all the imps that I've met throughout my play through since launch say "screw republic I ain't playing on republic blah blah"

I see no harm in it, players who earned it got something for free.....players who didn't earn it have to pay for it

I may be lazy but how about I revise this to say unlock buffs for account wide rather than legacy? for me that would be perfect since I play on multiple servers and have multiple characters varying levels and varying legacy perks/levels....In one server I have 3 buffs unlocked another 2 buffs unlocked....it isn't really fair considering I have already did the required work to unlock this...I mean another request I guess would be to have legacy be account bound instead of server bound.

Furthermore this should already be possible since races can be unlocked with cartel coins or by completing the game with a desired race...its essentially the same concept, though I bet you guys were probably the same way when this came out "just reroll on the race you want don't buy it, you are lazy if you buy it." regardless of what your opinions are, bioware does what it needs to for business and the people who make up the games population generally are in North America and we are pretty damn lazy...let bioware make a buck or two off that laziness that is what most any job is all about

Look at these examples of these type of jobs that profit off peoples laziness

Mcdonalds for instance "make crappy unhealthy food cause i'm too lazy to cook."

Dog sitting service "Watch my yappity little dog cause i'm too lazy to take care of it."

Starbucks "Make horrible coffee at a ridiculous price, cause i'm too lazy to brew a pot at home"

Car Wash "Wash my car cause im to lazy to do it and im going through a mid life crisis and think women will like me rolling up in my freshly washed corolla"

Edited by Konta_Takuto

I understand that but that furthers my point that there could be even more classes that don't appeal to players, all the imps that I've met throughout my play through since launch say "screw republic I ain't playing on republic blah blah" - then they're gimping themselves. They can play all the Imp side characters and get all the buffs. There, done. They're also robbing themselves of half the game, but that's their choice. Moreover, how can you say you don't like like a class before you even play it? I must be weird then, because I swore up and down in beta and first playing that JC would be my main and only, and saw no appeal in smugglers or melee classes (hated melee in WoW). Lo and behold, I bored of my JC, Smuggler is my main Rep side, and I got sucked into the SW storyline and breezed to 55 (I may not play her often, but have a ton of fun when I do).

I see no harm in it, players who earned it got something for free.....players who didn't earn it have to pay for it - why bother earning it if I only have to pay for it? I don't raid or PvP, why can't I buy top-level gear on CM? Why can't I buy credits? Make everything purchaseable. Make companions purchaseable too. Why be stuck with certain companions for certain classes? So it makes no sense to have Quinn following a Trooper, I want him I'll buy him.

I may be lazy but how about I revise this to say unlock buffs for account wide rather than legacy? for me that would be perfect since I play on multiple servers and have multiple characters varying levels and varying legacy perks/levels....In one server I have 3 buffs unlocked another 2 buffs unlocked....it isn't really fair considering I have already did the required work to unlock this...I mean another request I guess would be to have legacy be account bound instead of server bound. - This almost sounds reasonable. Go further then, make Legacy account-wide. You only get one Legacy, and you don't have to grind every single achievement again.

Furthermore this should already be possible since races can be unlocked with cartel coins or by completing the game with a desired race...its essentially the same concept, though I bet you guys were probably the same way when this came out "just reroll on the race you want don't buy it, you are lazy if you buy it." regardless of what your opinions are, bioware does what it needs to for business and the people who make up the games population generally are in North America and we are pretty damn lazy...let bioware make a buck or two off that laziness that is what most any job is all about - wow. I have nothing to say that won't devolve into a political/ethical rant and condemnation of American attitudes, so I'll shut up and stay on topic.

Look at these examples of these type of jobs that profit off peoples laziness

Mcdonalds for instance "make crappy unhealthy food cause i'm too lazy to cook." - if they were the only restaurant in existence, then you would have a point. As long as I can still buy a salad at Subway, with fresh veggies, you don't have a point here. Also, you obviously have the luxury of never needing food on the go, or always have access to a kitchen when you're ready for lunch, so the thought of anyone making food for you confounds you.

Dog sitting service "Watch my yappity little dog cause i'm too lazy to take care of it." - I don't have dogs, but I do know that dog sitters can come and walk your dog while you're at work, instead of them being cooped up in the house, without elimination needs met, for hours on end. They also will come and feed/water and walk your pet if you are away, instead of the more stressful and expensive option of kenneling the dog.

Starbucks "Make horrible coffee at a ridiculous price, cause i'm too lazy to brew a pot at home" - Again, were Starbucks your only option... Gas stations around here offer Green Mountain coffee for a buck. And why brew a whole pot for one single cup? I tried that, less efficient, even brewing for one serving (factor in electricity use, water use, etc.).

Car Wash "Wash my car cause im to lazy to do it and im going through a mid life crisis and think women will like me rolling up in my freshly washed corolla" - Do you live somewhere where you get snow? If yes, you already know the answer as to why you might use a car wash. If no, let me explain: salt will corrode your car after a while. You want to wash that garbage off. Now, do you want to get the hose out and scrub down your car in 20 degree weather, turning your driveway into a sheet of ice, and your car into a soapy icicle?

My answers are in green. TL;DR, laziness has everything to do with it.

oh, for the love of.

its a video game. it should be fun. laziness this, laziness that... they are not even asking about actual advantages or gear you can buy instead of grind or whatever.

you know what's "lazy"? using rocket boosts while in buildings etc - rocket boosts that were purchased with cartel coins. giving yourself a treek at lvl 10 on every character - bought with cartel coins. rolling a chiss jedi when you never bothered to level a chiss to lvl 50 - just by buying cartel market unlock.

and guess what? we have those.

people who want to play different classes - will play them. they shouldn't be forced to play them just to get a full buff. and guess what? you still need to finish all 8 in order to get all story achievements, you still need to do all 8 and unlock all companions to get full presence buff. ability of someone to only play force users or never have to play force users or whatever other reason they are not enjoying playing all available classes and only stick to the ones they have fun with and STILL having access to all the chapter 2 buffs? how exactly will it negatively affect YOUR game?

yes I think it should be purchasable. because its NOT about laziness its about gosh darn fun. and its not fun to have to play a character whose story and/or mechanics you don't enjoy.

and yes I have all the buffs. I've had them since before the game went free to play. I also have all the original species unlocked... the hard way, by leveling characters of that species to 50. the fact that someone may be able to buy those unlocks has NO bearing on how I play my own game, or how you play your game for that matter.

nearly every legacy unlock can be bought with cartel coins regardless of legacy level as it is. so why not add this one as well?

as for above refutations.

there are single cup coffee makers. i have one. even the fancy treat cup of coffee, the kind that comes portioned and with a little packed of frothy creamer - costs me 60 cents . but guess what... if someone wants to buy a fancy made one at a coffee shop, becasue they don't want to bother with washing cups and cleaning the coffee maker and making sure they are stocked on coffee, etc? why the hell not?

I prefer to walk my dog myself. a friend of mine often hires a dog walker, even when she's home. I used to work as a dog walker about 15 years or so ago. most of the clients of the service I worked for? were home at the time I would come in to pick up their dogs. and you know what? that's fine. dog gets walked right? so what if they pay someone instead of doing it themselves, especially in rainy or super hot days.

car wash is used in not just winter - its used in all seasons. they are open in all seasons. and all climates. becasue people would rather pay someone else to get their car done, than spend time doing it themselves. and you know what? that's also fine.

as for cooking? I'm glad you brought up salad. because unless you haven't been to supermarkets lately? they have these prepackaged bags, some even come with packets of dressing. they also sell other veggies and it literally takes 5 minutes to make your own salad. much cheaper than elsewhere. yes, even to take to work with you - you get up 5 minutes early, you pack it up in a handy piece of tupperware (they have them in all shapes and sizes) grab a bottle of dressing and tada - a much cheaper salad that you controlled the creation of. but if someone doesn't want to take the 5 minutes and just buy one at work? fine that works too. its their choice and the whole point is? its available to them. they have a choice.

why shouldn't video game players? some of those players may be the same people who work hard and don't have a damn time to level 4 characters to chapter 2 - it may take them months of slogging through something they don't want to do instead of playing the character they would prefer to play. but hey... they are just lazy and entitled >_>

and your slippery slope argument is completely illogical and irrelevant, as you are comparing legacy perks (most of which are already purchasable) to high end play rewards... (most of which incidentally are ALSO purchasable, from other players with exception of the very top tier)

Edited by Jeweledleah

oh, for the love of.

its a video game. it should be fun. laziness this, laziness that... they are not even asking about actual advantages or gear you can buy instead of grind or whatever.

you know what's "lazy"? using rocket boosts while in buildings etc - rocket boosts that were purchased with cartel coins. giving yourself a treek at lvl 10 on every character - bought with cartel coins. rolling a chiss jedi when you never bothered to level a chiss to lvl 50 - just by buying cartel market unlock.

people who want to play different classes - will play them. they shouldn't be forced to play them just to get a full buff. and guess what? you still need to finish all 8 in order to get all story achievements, you still need to do all 8 and unlock all companions to get full presence buff. ability of someone to only play force users or never have to play force users or whatever other reason they are not enjoying playing all available classes and only stick to the ones they have fun with and STILL having access to all the chapter 2 buffs? how exactly will it negatively affect YOUR game?

yes I think it should be purchasable. because its NOT about laziness its about gosh darn fun. and its not fun to have to play a character whose story and/or mechanics you don't enjoy.

and yes I have all the buffs. I've had them since before the game went free to play. I also have all the original species unlocked... the hard way, by leveling characters of that species to 50. the fact that someone may be able to buy those unlocks has NO bearing on how I play my own game, or how you play your game for that matter.

nearly every legacy unlock can be bought with cartel coins regardless of legacy level as it is. so why not add this one as well?

as for above refutations.

there are single cup coffee makers. i have one. even the fancy treat cup of coffee, the kind that comes portioned and with a little packed of frothy creamer - costs me 60 cents . but guess what... if someone wants to buy a fancy made one at a coffee shop, becasue they don't want to bother with washing cups and cleaning the coffee maker and making sure they are stocked on coffee, etc? why the hell not?

I prefer to walk my dog myself. a friend of mine often hires a dog walker, even when she's home. I used to work as a dog walker about 15 years or so ago. most of the clients of the service I worked for? were home at the time I would come in to pick up their dogs. and you know what? that's fine. dog gets walked right? so what if they pay someone instead of doing it themselves, especially in rainy or super hot days.

car wash is used in not just winter - its used in all seasons. they are open in all seasons. and all climates. becasue people would rather pay someone else to get their car done, than spend time doing it themselves. and you know what? that's also fine.

as for cooking? I'm glad you brought up salad. because unless you haven't been to supermarkets lately? they have these prepackaged bags, some even come with packets of dressing. they also sell other veggies and it literally takes 5 minutes to make your own salad. much cheaper than elsewhere. yes, even to take to work with you - you get up 5 minutes early, you pack it up in a handy piece of tupperware (they have them in all shapes and sizes) grab a bottle of dressing and tada - a much cheaper salad that you controlled the creation of. but if someone doesn't want to take the 5 minutes and just buy one at work? fine that works too. its their choice and the whole point is? its available to them. they have a choice.

why shouldn't video game players? some of those players may be the same people who work hard and don't have a damn time to level 4 characters to chapter 2 - it may take them months of slogging through something they don't want to do instead of playing the character they would prefer to play. but hey... they are just lazy and entitled >_>

and your slippery slope argument is completely illogical and irrelevant, as you are comparing legacy perks (most of which are already purchasable) to high end play rewards... (most of which incidentally are ALSO purchasable, from other players with exception of the very top tier)

This post is awesome!!! I second it, cause not only does it go into further detail of how laziness is a big business in the real world, but also brings up the good point about players who may not be able to play for long to grind this legacy reward.

I am guilty of it, I use rocket boosts on all my characters, all my characters go into collections whipping out level 10 +41 endurance crystals and pulling out treek. Asking for buyable buffs is not so unreasonable considering the huge advantages of collection level 10 color crystals...or even collection armor, being able to get a full set of orange when the first orange helmet you are supposed to get at level 19 I believe?

Or what about Legacy perk speeder piloting? being able to ride through Coruscant makes it a lot faster and coming from a guy who played since launch when SPRINT wasn't available til level 14! and speeder license level 25! you don't see me butt hurt about it even though these new players don't get to experience the torture of walking through Taris like I did, and that's because if it was my first play through I would buy this perk too. The reason being is because why walk when you can ride? Whether its Real Life or on a video game the general equation is walking sucks, driving a car is awesome

Not to mention you could probably PM any player with the class buff you need to buff you for free for an hour...or just go into a warzone and not die, so why is it such a huge request to ask bioware to allow me the ability to be fully buffed without needing to go into a warzone to get all 4 buffs

Thanks for backing me up I would respond to PaxSithari, but your post was already the perfect response to PaxSithari

Edited by Konta_Takuto

I would like to have social rank 10, but I don't like to group. Let me buy social ranks!

I would like to have valor rank 10 too, but I don't pvp enough. Let me buy valor ranks! Ooh, and while at it can I buy some ranked rating too? I'd really like the rewards, but I hate arenas.

I'd like to craft 31 hilts and mods, but I don't raid and I don't have the credits or patience to RE them, so let me buy the schematics from the CM!

Since those are all rewards for playstyles I don't particularly enjoy, I should be able to throw money at them and get everything I want. Right?

I would like to have social rank 10, but I don't like to group. Let me buy social ranks!

I would like to have valor rank 10 too, but I don't pvp enough. Let me buy valor ranks! Ooh, and while at it can I buy some ranked rating too? I'd really like the rewards, but I hate arenas.

I'd like to craft 31 hilts and mods, but I don't raid and I don't have the credits or patience to RE them, so let me buy the schematics from the CM!

Since those are all rewards for playstyles I don't particularly enjoy, I should be able to throw money at them and get everything I want. Right?

That's taking it to the extreme please reevaluate what I am asking for, asking for the ability to get buffs, a 5% increase on skill, which are given FREE ALL THE TIME from players, never once did I need to fork over credits to get buffed! If you pop into a warzone at the beginning you usually get ALL buffs! Not only that but even on the fleet random people will target you and buff you without even needing to ask.

So in short I should queue for warzones get buffed then leave? causing the players in the warzone to be short one player? Well ok If thats what you want so I can get all the buffs then so be it. See I can be a smart alec too.

The buffs should have been universal or no buffs anyways since there are a grand spanking total of 4 its nothing compared to the entertainer from star wars galaxies. Your being ridiculous over a request to have the ability to purchase 4....4! 5% increase buffs? and you are comparing that to being able to buy max PvP gear and ability to Craft 31 hilts and armors? get over yourself

You are comparing playing the game for days at end (it takes longer to get max PvP gear and Social X then to get to chapter 2 on a character) comparing that to having a purchasable convenience I wouldn't even call it a purchasable advantage because BUFFS ARE FREE ... a purchasable advantage is like the level 10 41+ stat color crystals (which this is a bigger advantage than purchasable buffs) buy one color crystal for 50k credits unlock it permanently account wide for 60 cartel coins boom 41 crit endurance power or expertise, and not just for you but can essentially print as many of those out and stick it in Kira's lightsaber, Tharan's Blaster pistol, HK51's butt.....way more of an advantage then 5% increase to a stat.

Edited by Konta_Takuto

That's kind of the point of being facetious. Did you really think I was seriously asking to be able to purchase all of that for real money?

You are saying that because class buffs can be ground out for free and only offer a small advantage they should be purchasable for real money to cater to people either too impatient or who don't like playing alts. Social rank, valor rank and pvp rating can also be ground out for fee and offer even fewer advantages. So why do you feel that it's OK to be able to buy your way past one aspect of the game and not others?

Similarly crafting can be ground out for free. It does offer advantages, so I'll drop that from the list of things that some people work for and others don't want to bother but would like to have anyway.

Out of curiosity, do you support purchasing lvl 55 characters? It seems like the same mindset.

oh, for the love of.

its a video game. it should be fun. laziness this, laziness that... they are not even asking about actual advantages or gear you can buy instead of grind or whatever. - So buffs aren't advantages? +5% crit isn't an advantage? If it's not an advantage, then you're not missing out, it's unimportant if you have it or not. If it is, then you're asking to buy advantages. Also, for times where it really matters to have them, you will get them anyway. Group content - all it takes is 1 person to play through 4 classes, press 1 button, and everyone gets buffed. Walking through fleet is almost guaranteed to get you full buffs.

you know what's "lazy"? using rocket boosts while in buildings etc - rocket boosts that were purchased with cartel coins. giving yourself a treek at lvl 10 on every character - bought with cartel coins. rolling a chiss jedi when you never bothered to level a chiss to lvl 50 - just by buying cartel market unlock. - You're assuming everyone buys their unlocks with cartel coins. Some of us, such as yourself, play through and unlock things as we go.

people who want to play different classes - will play them. they shouldn't be forced to play them just to get a full buff. and guess what? you still need to finish all 8 in order to get all story achievements, you still need to do all 8 and unlock all companions to get full presence buff. ability of someone to only play force users or never have to play force users or whatever other reason they are not enjoying playing all available classes and only stick to the ones they have fun with and STILL having access to all the chapter 2 buffs? how exactly will it negatively affect YOUR game? - So again, are the buffs important or not important? It's ok to grind and play for Presence buffs, but not for the buffs that will actually help you? In unlocking all companions you have to play through most of the storyline (at least into the 40s). To get the castable buffs, just finish Chapter 2, say level 35. Also, you do NOT have to play through with all companions. Get Treek at 10 and disregard your story. Treek is healer or tank, all you need in a companion. As for how it affects my game, it doesn't. IF they start listening to every "Put every X on CM", then it will. Which is a possibility if the playerbase keeps asking for every little thing to be thrown on the CM. Funny thing is, people ask for things to go on CM, then the F2Pers ask for everything unlockable on the CM for free. So nickel and diming is bad, except when it's something I want, then I want to pay.

yes I think it should be purchasable. because its NOT about laziness its about gosh darn fun. and its not fun to have to play a character whose story and/or mechanics you don't enjoy. - How exactly is missing out on +5% bonus damage/healing making the game not fun? Live without the buff, period. Or play a class you don't like to level 35. Or freakin' ASK someone for a buff. Cripes there are alternatives to "I don't wanna play Trooper, lemme buy the buff" already IN GAME.

and yes I have all the buffs. I've had them since before the game went free to play. I also have all the original species unlocked... the hard way, by leveling characters of that species to 50. the fact that someone may be able to buy those unlocks has NO bearing on how I play my own game, or how you play your game for that matter. - Congrats on playing the game. Wouldn't life have been better for you to get everything you want at the start of the game, as long as you pay?

as for above refutations. - Yeah, we can go back and forth about our real life experiences and modern conveniences, and the expenses involved with them (buying single-serving coffee makers, how much a bag of pre-made salad is vs. buying ingredients and the quality of the two, etc.)

why shouldn't video game players? some of those players may be the same people who work hard and don't have a damn time to level 4 characters to chapter 2 - it may take them months of slogging through something they don't want to do instead of playing the character they would prefer to play. but hey... they are just lazy and entitled >_> - So again, add purchaseable from CM: Level 55s, Tiered Raid gear, PvP gear, Rancor mount, Achievements, Credits. All of that takes time to accumulate. And if you don't have the time to play the game, well that's your call. All the things I listed for purchase will make your life more streamlined and so much more fun. And I'm 100% serious about buying credits, since grinding for them wastes time. It's hard work making money.

and your slippery slope argument is completely illogical and irrelevant, as you are comparing legacy perks (most of which are already purchasable) to high end play rewards... (most of which incidentally are ALSO purchasable, from other players with exception of the very top tier) - it's illogical to ask for everything to be handed to you, I agree. It's not fun for me to not have really good gear, so I should be able to either buy it from CM, or I should be able to buy credits from CM so I can buy it from a player. And again, you're assuming everyone uses CM to buy their perks.

More back and forth, in green.

Did you really think I was seriously asking to be able to purchase all of that for real money?

No I obviously didn't smart one If you read my post you would have noticed I never once believed you were serious.

So in short I should queue for warzones get buffed then leave? causing the players in the warzone to be short one player? Well ok If thats what you want so I can get all the buffs then so be it. See I can be a smart alec too.

Why don't you actually take some time and read what I replied, rather than say "you thought I was serious!??!?!?!"

More back and forth, in green.

rather than just respond to what we are saying in the most negative attitude possible why don't you come up with good counter argument as to WHY it shouldn't be this way, rather than feed off our legitimate reasonable reasons why we think this would work out for a lot of players.

You have yet to conjure your own post, without a quote, of saying Hi this won't work out because blah blah blah

No one has...everyone has just been nope don't do it, the reason why I think you guys disagree is most of you who have responded did the work to unlock this and you won't feel like special little children if it will be purchasable....

News flash its a VIDEO game, a dieing game at that, you never were special! Even if you unlocked all 8 class buffs. Even if by some mental lapse you feel special, then I feel sorry for you because your special feelings will be crushed in 6-10 years from now when bioware pulls the plug, and that's being generous

Edited by Konta_Takuto

No I obviously didn't smart one If you read my post you would have noticed I never once believed you were serious.

Why don't you actually take some time and read what I replied, rather than say "you thought I was serious!??!?!?!"

Nothing in your reply indicated you understood my suggestions were intentionally over-the-top.

I've seen people log into warzones, request buffing, then quit. It might seem ridiculous to you, but it does happen.

And no, I don't have any desire to be a special snowflake. This issue doesn't have anything to do with that. I believe people should play the game to get in game rewards. I'm old fashioned that way :p

Very well. Why it shouldn't be: because I don't want to need to spend dollars to be effective. I don't want them focusing on adding a ton of stuff to the cash market/CM, and neglect developing other aspects of the game like fuller expansions, continued stories, or FIXING the damned bugs and lag. I don't want them nickle-and-diming Subscribers for things beyond vanity items. This game is already ridiculously easy to level in, so getting to Chapter 2 isn't a months-long slog (you can either: quest, run regular FPs, run Kuat, run WZs, or hop from planet to planet and kill mobs until they go from orange to gray). It discourages experimenting with other classes and playstyles by allowing you to completely bypass what you don't like, instead of encouraging that experimentation. This game is story-driven, solo-friendly and extremely alt-friendly, so attaining these buffs can be done on either Imp or Rep side, and stays with all of your characters on your Legacy. Most importantly: THESE BUFFS ARE NOT GAME-BREAKINGLY NECESSARY. You aren't helpless if you don't get them, and the times where it would be necessary to have them, you will get them (i.e. in a group). You don't want to play a Smuggler/IA - DON'T. Do without the buff, or ask someone to buff you.

Try to reframe how you see these buffs, it may make sense that way. The buffs are NOT something you lack, they are bonuses for your previous work. You are not penalized by not having them, you are not lesser. If your baseline is 100%, not having the Endurance buff won't make you 95%, but having it will make you 105%. Now do you see how it can either be a) buying bonuses, or b) a waste of programmers time and YOUR money?

Also, it's not special if EVERYONE gets it. It's not special if you can play the game without it. And it's not 8 buffs FFS, it's 4, stop spreading misinformation. What is special snowflake behavior is wanting everything right now, and wanting everything good without anything bad or any effort. It's running to Daddy EA every time you want something that you don't have. If this game is dying (which is an exaggeration imo), building up the CM isn't going to entice people back to subbing. However, wanting to add things to CM, that you get for free during the course of the game, does make this a laughingstock. "SWTOR went Free to Play, now is Pay To Win or Pay To Not Play."

NO ONE is saying "play the game like this" or discouraging you from playing the way you want to play. Let me repeat: NO ONE IS SAYING DON'T PLAY THE WAY YOU WANT.

EDIT: One thing which I agreed with the OP on, was making the buffs account-wide. Make your Legacy account-wide, so you have the buffs when you roll on a different server, or spread yourself across them all. That is reasonable IMO, and you don't have to buy it.

Edited by PaxSithari

oh lord, more ridiculous slippery slopes.

1. presence is a personal buff that you cannot really share with other people. class buffs you can get from other people anyways. all purchasing them would do is allow people not depend on others buffing them as much. that's it. if you need that "disadvantage" from pvp, than I'm sorry to say, you are probably worth at it than I am. if it bothers you that someone gets in in pve? again i don't know what to tell you, other than - I'm sad for you. I mean, yes you could get it from other people, so why is it wrong to have personal access you can just buy?

2. you know what? it would have been damn more fun to play with all 4 buffs unlocked from the start. I'd still level all the characters that I did, but I would have an option of leveling them in a different order than I originally did - which WOULD make it more fun for me.

3. guess what. you CAN buy credits from CM. buy packs, sell packs on GTN - credits! those credits will buy you raiding gear without grinding involved! pvp gear? currently, you can wear pve gear and get bolstered to within 5% of obroan. tada! pvp gear that can just be bought.

4. no one is asking to buy lvl 55ves, or titles or achievements or any of that stuff. you are using an extreme version of slippery slope argument that completely doesn't work. we're asking to be able to unlock something that's not much different from variety of legacy and character perks that are already purchasable in game. and yes. not everyone buys those legacy perks with cartel coins. i never once said they did. but it DOES exist as an option which is the whole point. having an option.

I will never understand why some of you fight so hard against it. none of your arguments against it make any logical sense to me.

and yes, I've been playing from early start, so I remember the times before legacy, the times where you didn't have sprint at lvl 1, or speeder till lvl 25 and cost a LOT more credits than they do now, when cooldown on quick travel was an hour and fleet travel was what 12 hours? or 18.... and you know what? i don't begrudge new players that they don't have to deal with it. I think its actualy awesome that they don't have to that the game is smoother more convenient for them. getting ability to use chapter 2 buffs instead of needing to be buffed by other people doesn't detracted from actual playing of the character, it doesn't detract from the story.

Very well. Why it shouldn't be: because I don't want to need to spend dollars to be effective. I don't want them focusing on adding a ton of stuff to the cash market/CM, and neglect developing other aspects of the game like fuller expansions, continued stories, or FIXING the damned bugs and lag. I don't want them nickle-and-diming Subscribers for things beyond vanity items. You do realize the CM is what has made this game thrive and live on....without all the extra money coming from the CM there would be less development, and ADDING a bunch of stuff? This feature already exist the only difference would be a small pay to unlock system which has already been a system added since the CM this wouldn't halt any development time from the game to add this feature. And yes you can buy more then "Vanity" items you can buy speeder license's you can buy armor with mods inside, color crystals, buy HK-51 and Treek that is more than just a vanity armor shell that you are stating.

This game is already ridiculously easy to level in, so getting to Chapter 2 isn't a months-long slog (you can either: quest, run regular FPs, run Kuat, run WZs, or hop from planet to planet and kill mobs until they go from orange to gray). Not true on low populated servers so FP's and WZ's out of the question its either go through the quest line or nothing, and if you want to disagree with me I cordially invite you to Pot5 server where queue times take ridiculously long.

It discourages experimenting with other classes and playstyles by allowing you to completely bypass what you don't like, instead of encouraging that experimentation.This game is story-driven, solo-friendly and extremely alt-friendly, So two things here for one its just a buff, a purchasable buff I highly doubt is going to halt people from experimenting with other classes...if they have interest in it they will play it. Number two you said it yourself "Solo-friendly" this game is solo friendly I agree but all the more reason to have the ability to buff YOURSELF don't you think?

Most importantly: THESE BUFFS ARE NOT GAME-BREAKINGLY NECESSARY. You aren't helpless if you don't get them True I am a powerful jedi even without my buffs, but thats besides the point, if its not game breaking as you say then whats the harm in having it be purchasable if it doesn't make a huge difference? all the more reason too I say

Try to reframe how you see these buffs, it may make sense that way. The buffs are NOT something you lack, they are bonuses for your previous work. You are not penalized by not having them, you are not lesser. If your baseline is 100%, not having the Endurance buff won't make you 95%, but having it will make you 105%. Now do you see how it can either be a) buying bonuses, or b) a waste of programmers time and YOUR money? Again a programmer of this caliber to be working for bioware should have this done in less than a day since the system unlock with cartel coins system is already in place....Also a programmer doesn't need to programs the character, since characters are already able to click the buff icon and get all 4 buffs if unlocked. Waste of money? who are you to dictate what I can spend my money on this whole game is a waste of money since eventually it will shut down....just like WoW just like SWG. Now to comment on your statement of not being penalized we aren't per say but it is a nuisance do to a 1 hour time limit on the buffs, which there is an idea remove the stupid timer all together and everyone is just buffed

Also, it's not special if EVERYONE gets it. It's not special if you can play the game without it. Bingo the real reason get over it your playing a video game you aren't special PERIOD

And it's not 8 buffs FFS, it's 4, stop spreading misinformation. I am saying even if you had 8 characters 1 of each class 4 republics 4 imperials all past chapter 2 guess what....you still ain't special

If this game is dying (which is an exaggeration imo), building up the CM isn't going to entice people back to subbing. However, wanting to add things to CM, that you get for free during the course of the game, does make this a laughingstock. "SWTOR went Free to Play, now is Pay To Win or Pay To Not Play."pay 2 win? you just said the buffs didn't make that much of a difference? make up your mind. and building up the CM is what saved SWTOR from total collapse

And this game is dying the CM is what saved it, If you look at fiances and how much they spent on advertising for swtor with those silly 3 cinematic trailers, going to E3, web advertising, ect. Then saw within the first three months of launch the server status changed from full to light, and subs dropping like flies you better believe they needed to do something for income. Just google it, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this game was going bankrupt fast....why do you think only 8 NA servers exist now? I mean you are completely blind if you believe for a second that SWTOR is healthy as an Ox, its very frail and the CM is the life support keeping it alive...lol just this week I uploaded more than 50 dollars to the CM that is way more than 15 bucks a month sub (I am also subbed) if they didn't have the CM that extra 50 dollars in one week isn't there anymore...poof gone....bottom line is PEOPLE WILL BUY IT if it does become a purchasable feature I myself would pay 1000 CC to unlock EACH buff, and I am sure I am not the ONLY player that would do it.

So bioware is thinking whats best for their pocketbook and for them so they can continue this game, they are not thinking whats best for the special little snowflakes out there, its the same with the rancor mount for season one PvP rewards, its already confirmed rancor mounts will be in cartel packs...why? because people WILL BUY IT.

There is a saying "hate the game not the player"complain to bioware that you don't feel special, complain by unsubbing but you cant change the way this works and you cant be mad at the players who use CM.

And a final note what about us who pay for the Cartel Coins....if anything your saying you would rather earn everything...which is fine and good but why should you have a say in it if you don't support the CM? I mean yeah your cool, you can play video games all day and unlock 4 buffs legit and have 10 level 55 characters, me I got real life stuff to do I can't sit at a computer all day, don't have 10 55 characters but have a couple and various alts all leveled all over the board, but see I have this amazing object in the real world called money....you know who loves money? well everyone loves money but especially bioware...I am willing to give something REAL for something FAKE. They would be foolish not to accept free money, anyone would be, and that is why the cartel market exist and that is why it will continue to thrive like a well oiled machine.

I'm this color :p

Edited by Konta_Takuto

I don't agree with this one, it is a reward for people who put the effort in to leveling different classes.

It should stay that way, and no, I don't have them all.

Well a very slight reward that again players give out to other players for nothing, I would agree with the arguments made against my idea if it was more special and significant but its not, its just a buff that every player throws out there like a cheap dollar stripper.

Now my argument would change if players started being more skimpy with buffs then it would suddenly become a luxury to have all 4 buffs...but this won't happen....your gunna cripple your team in PvE or PvP by not buffing them?

If the reward for completing chapter two was a mount...or a title....or a weapon, or an armor set, that was unique and given only when you completed chapter two of a given class I would understand your guy's point entirely.....but this isn't the case as I said above these buffs are given away like halloween candy they hold no significance to the class now (they did before they allowed legacy unlock multiple class buffs)

Edited by Konta_Takuto

It is very dangerous path to take to start selling powers. The OP say this isn't a significant buff, but yet you ask to buy it.

There is really no meaningful difference between this and asking to buy crew skills ranks. For example, being Biochem 450 means you can use reusable stims, medpacks and adrenals. That is effectively being given 3 permanent powers with a similar impact as the class buffs. Additionally, it's actually easier to get Biochem 450. It literally can be done in a few hours on a high level character. So should you be able to buy it?

The OP's idea is one that most appropriately illustrates the slippery slope. Because once you do it, there really is no justification for not offering a lot of other advantages via CC.

There was a very good reason why Class Buffs were not included in the launch of free-to-play purchases.

Races are just a cosmetic appearance and give you not tactical advantage what-so-ever. They were smart to include races as a purchase option. The unlock via game play only applied to subscribers, since free-to-play people had no access to Legacy or Legacy unlocks.

However, when it comes to Class buffs, there is a very distinct competitive advantage when it comes to PvP combat. Players who have worked to earn all four of those buffs (which there are PLENTY who played classes they didn't enjoy to level 40 just for that boost on their main) have them instantly at their finger tips. Players who don't do the work, do not. In PvP, this is no less a tactical advantage than having a full set of PvP gear that you earned. You don't have the option to buy a set with cartel coins just because you don't want to invest the time and effort.

There needs to be things in this game that keep people playing it and spending money. It's more profitable to make people level 3 alternate characters, potentially buying new cartel packs and gear sets to make those characters look pretty than it is to outright sell the buffs and give those people even less of a reason to play the game.

Short answer... Selling buffs would be the first step in a very slippery road of pay to win. I have two accounts that I subscribe to this game with every month. I watch what's for sale in the cartel market with a very keen eye, because I will continue to subscribe and play this game so long as it's tactically fair. I, for one, will be done with this game the day you can unlock class buffs with cartel coins. It only gets worse from there. I know I can't be alone with that, either.

Edited by vemerce

Well a very slight reward that again players give out to other players for nothing, I would agree with the arguments made against my idea if it was more special and significant but its not, its just a buff that every player throws out there like a cheap dollar stripper.

Now my argument would change if players started being more skimpy with buffs then it would suddenly become a luxury to have all 4 buffs...but this won't happen....your gunna cripple your team in PvE or PvP by not buffing them?

If the reward for completing chapter two was a mount...or a title....or a weapon, or an armor set, that was unique and given only when you completed chapter two of a given class I would understand your guy's point entirely.....but this isn't the case as I said above these buffs are given away like halloween candy they hold no significance to the class now (they did before they allowed legacy unlock multiple class buffs)

You could just level two more characters to level 40 during double XP weekend and not waste your time trying to convince other people that their ideals are wrong. Sure, giving you class buffs up front for 600-1000 cartel coins might net them a little cash (provided you don't already have the coins saved up from an allotment, in which case they make zero profit) but they'll lose a lot more money than you'll give them just by me cancelling my own accounts.