Bomber Mines - Inaccurate Activation Field

Korithras

Mines have a red sphere around them which I'm presuming is their activation radius, meaning you'd have to get that close to set it off. Well I can avoid that area easily and still trigger the damn things, Bioware. How about an accurate area rendering, hm?

I think the goal is to make mines more visible. And the colored spheres help with that. Massive 8,000 meter diameter colored spheres are a bit of overkill, especially since bombers can drop three of each kind of mine.

I can drop 1 seismic mine.

2 interdiction mines if specced right.

3 concussion mines if specced right.

3 seeker mines if specced right.

3 ion mines if specced right.

Pick two.

Pick two.

Derp, derp. Yes, pick two. Now imagine glowing colorful spheres that fill out the ENTIRE diameter of each of their ranges, factoring in increased radius via upgrades. THAT is the point, not the correct number of mines bombers can drop.

Pick two.

So fully upgraded you can drop between 3-6 mines at a time? Interesting. Is this the same with drones? Has anyone tried making a team with all bombers just to see what happens? Lol.

So fully upgraded you can drop between 3-6 mines at a time? Interesting. Is this the same with drones? Has anyone tried making a team with all bombers just to see what happens? Lol.

The most pets a Dronecarrier can have are 3 Seeker Mines, 2 Interdiction Drones, and 1 Repair Drone (6 total).

A Minelayer can have 3 Seeker Mines, 3 Concussion/Ion Mines and a Hyperspace Beacon (7 total).

Ran into a team that was 6/8 bombers yesterday, we didn't cap many points.

I don't see what the problem would be with red spheres matching the range of the mines. Screen "clutter" is completely justifiable when it's low key and conveys vital information, and the current implementation does this on both counts.

I have some UI feedback on drones and mines but it's not about the sphere matching their entire diameter which would just look cheesy.

First, the targeting reticule icon should be a different color and shape. Right now its the same shape as when an enemy targeted but the same COLOR as all the other non-targeted targets, red.

Second, each mine and each turret should have a distinctive look. Mines all look the same. Drones all look like defense turrets. The HUD should INSTANTLY show a distinctive drone/mine look. That will help the pilot identify the ranges of the drone/mine.

Third, missile lock on and mine lock on sounds should make a DIFFERENT lock-on/proximity/warning sound than the missile lock-on.

That's all I have for now.

Third, missile lock on and mine lock on sounds should make a DIFFERENT lock-on/proximity/warning sound than the missile lock-on.

Agreed with other stuff, but this is not really needed. No enemy will ever immediately have a missile fired your way, so it's very easy to distinct mine from missile lock-on. Missiles must go through at least 1,5s of the slow "locking on" beeping, while drones and mines go instantly to the "***** hit the fan" alarm.

Agreed with other stuff, but this is not really needed. No enemy will ever immediately have a missile fired your way, so it's very easy to distinct mine from missile lock-on. Missiles must go through at least 1,5s of the slow "locking on" beeping, while drones and mines go instantly to the "***** hit the fan" alarm.

Well, it would be nice to know if I just got hit by a missile or a mine. Reduces confusion.

Well, it would be nice to know if I just got hit by a missile or a mine. Reduces confusion.

I think he was saying that there are clear and distinct differences between the two already, you just have to listen for it.

<beep> <beep> <beep> <ALARM BEEPS> is concussion missiles.

<beep> <beep> <beep><beep> <beep> <beep> <ALARM BEEPS> is a long-lockon and likely long-range missile.

<silence> <ALARM BEEPS> is a Missile Defense drone.

I hear what you're saying though, it'd be nice if the companion said something different like, "Drone missiles!" if it happened to be a drone that fired it. But our crew is not so great at using specifics to describe what's going on.

I think he was saying that there are clear and distinct differences between the two already, you just have to listen for it.

<beep> <beep> <beep> <ALARM BEEPS> is concussion missiles.

<beep> <beep> <beep><beep> <beep> <beep> <ALARM BEEPS> is a long-lockon and likely long-range missile.

<silence> <ALARM BEEPS> is a Missile Defense drone.

I hear what you're saying though, it'd be nice if the companion said something different like, "Drone missiles!" if it happened to be a drone that fired it. But our crew is not so great at using specifics to describe what's going on.

I see. Do evasive maneuvers foil missiles or mines once they are triggered/launched? It seems inconsistent to me. Part of the need for different alarm tones is to help the pilot determine whether to use a move to avoid the damage.

I see. Do evasive maneuvers foil missiles or mines once they are triggered/launched? It seems inconsistent to me. Part of the need for different alarm tones is to help the pilot determine whether to use a move to avoid the damage.

Anecdotally, it works with seeker mines, but possibly not with missile drones.