Boiling Point!

Mortelus

That's because those other MMO's are more popular / have a larger player base / money is more important. In SWTOR you really don't need credits that much until endgame, and a lot of the stuff you would buy for credits you can just buy directly in the cartel market for money anyway. There's no real big benefit to buying a million credits in SWTOR when it's so easy to get and there aren't really that many things that cost money you need to buy IMO.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because those other MMO's are more popular / have a larger player base / money is more important. In SWTOR you really don't need credits that much until endgame, and a lot of the stuff you would buy for credits you can just buy directly in the cartel market for money anyway. There's no real big benefit to buying a million credits in SWTOR when it's so easy to get and there aren't really that many things that cost money you need to buy IMO.

Incorrect again. TOR is the #2(maybe #3) MMO in the western world.

Negativity doesn't always means something is broken. The market is flooded with cheap adaptive armours that nobody can sell and makes most armour from drops vendor trash, Not all but most. There is plenty of over inflation in the market, and not on just rare items. The amount of money that people can make has over inflated prices, take hilts, low level 5 rare hilts I have seen sold for 40K plus, now imagine you are a fresh new player, how in the hell could you afford it? Prices inflate because money is so easily obtainable at higher levels in this game, this is both blamed on in game quests and the CM market with it flooded adaptive armours.

Inflation on low level gear happens not because of credits entering the game or the CM but because people with the resources of a level 55 roll low level alts. That's what happens in all MMOs.

Yes EA milk it! I buy CC's I spend to unlock gear for my character, I then spend more to unlock for other characters, I spend CC's to unlock a quickbar, Hide helm, Unity colour, etcetera ecetera...

How does EA "milk" it if you're choosing to buy these things? Why do you, a subscriber (known because you can post to these forums) have to buy any of the things you mentioned?

Space combat, do you really think that came from customer feedback, or that they simply saw an opportunity to add something to the game that could generate more sellable skins and ships on the CM without having to put a lot of effort into creation. Now I don't care for GSF, if I want a space game shoot I would go play EVE or something which is far more interesting. However I understand that others love this, however your claim that it was developed from complaints about the rail shoot, I believe are off, show me direct quotes and I will be humbled!

Why not a combination? In the end, it is something the customers wanted that BioWare put into the game. They're not a charity; they're a business. They're allowed and expected and deserve to generate profitable revenue.

Group finder!!! Should have been in at launch. What modern MMO doesn't have this function, this is not a result of listening to player feedback but rather from releasing an incomplete game.

Yes, should have been in at launch. But, again, players asked for it and it's in the game. Look, BioWare listening to and implementing customer feedback. What a shocking turn of events.

Better looking gear? Well this is subjective, what you find better looking other may find hideous so you cannot claim this is added as a result of player feedback. Gear is added all the time, and beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

You pretty much echoed what I said there, so thanks. Some like some gear others like other gear. Personal tastes.

Bounty Week? No idea so I cannot comment, maybe it was maybe it wasn't.

Just trying to be argumentative now?

Class Adovcates: Again not really looked into this, but just because someone is listening/watch you doesn't mean they are listening/seeing you.

How could they answer the questions that the class reps ask if they don't listen to the questions?

I am sure something's are from player feedback, but they has been many things I repeatedly see posters screaming for which haven't been added, toggle hoods springs to mind.

Get over it, snowflake, if they don't implement the exact thing you want exactly when you want it. They have to be profitable. They have finite resources - staff and schedule. They have to prioritize.

I understand this is a business and it needs to make money, but there are more friendlier ways to do it. Sell expansions, cosmetic things only, don't ruin in-game mechanics, give preferred status more benefits, give F2P more benefits, like quickbar unlocks etc... because frankly that is insulting to F2P models.

They sold an expansion. They sell cosmetic things only in the Cartel Market. What on that do you think isn't cosmetic? What ingame mechanics have they ruined? Why should they give more to people who don't pay to play the game? Again, they are not a charity.

F2P is insulting to the publisher, period. If people don't think the game is worth spending money on, they shouldn't play it. The insult isn't from the publisher to the player. It's the players insulting the publisher by taking advantage of a free service, thus deriving value from it, and giving nothing in return.

If EAware had listened from the start they would NOT have lost 2 million plus paying subscribers with in its first few months. THIS IS A STARWARS IP and it should be far more successful than it has been.

Maybe. Maybe not. The original developers definitely screwed up. They're gone now. The current developers have to work with what the original developers left. That's the way this works.

And yes now their only option is to create a cash-cow shop, and it is just that, and it has effected other parts of the original game severely. If you disagree then you are disagreeing just to disagree. The whole CM could have been done in a much more friendlier way, but they have opted for the strict ruling which alienates many F2P players, or forces people to buy a subscription or CC's to unlock things so they can play F2P.

You're going to have to point me to how the cash shop negatively impacted non cash shop areas of the game, like operations, flash points, new planets, etc.

Again, F2P players generate no revenue. They represent no value to the publisher. They should be thrilled to play such a great game for free, even with the restrictions placed upon them.

The only time I ever spent anything on LoTRO was when it released and on its subsequent expansions. You can play that game (for free) in the exact same manner as a paying subscriber, only difference is you would be locked out of certain quests or areas with first purchasing them. I DO NOT need to unlock a quickbar slot or hide helm option.

Then... go play LOTRO? And, again, since you are clearly a subscriber, why do you have to pay to unlock a quickbar or a helm?

Yes they need to make money, but yes there are much more customer friendly ways to do it that give the customers real options on whether to pay or not. This game IMO is a falsified F2P game, because realistically to play properly and not in a gimped retarded way, you need to spend something.

You're advocating for more free stuff for players who don't pay to play the game. How exactly does that equate to BioWare making money? You might have to draw me a picture for this explanation...

Also, importantly, you neglected to answer my question and you even went so far as to cut it out when you quoted me. here's the context again.

You said: (the Cartel Market) has a negative effect on the game economy and crafting system.

Could you please quantify that for us?

Edited by DarthTHC

Incorrect again. TOR is the #2(maybe #3) MMO in the western world.

That's great. Really specific and useful information there. I simply stated what I THINK is a difference between SWTOR and other games when it comes to economy and demand for purchasing currency in game. But you apparently have all the facts and say i'm incorrect...justifying this with another statistic pulled straight out of thin air.

So a country, China, that is not in the western world, apparently only wants to make money selling in game currency in games that westerners like to play. So they normally focus all their resources on the #2 maybe #3 game regardless of how many people regularly play, or how many actually pay to play, while ignoring all the other online games on their side of the planet that have as many as ten times the number of active paying users. And a game that blocks China from the start has a 99% reduction in people selling in game currency compared to...uh...something. All verifiable by a few anecdotal nuggets from the resident SWTOR forum geniuses.

Seems Legit.

That's great. Really specific and useful information there. I simply stated what I THINK is a difference between SWTOR and other games when it comes to economy and demand for purchasing currency in game. But you apparently have all the facts and say i'm incorrect...justifying this with another statistic pulled straight out of thin air.

So a country, China, that is not in the western world, apparently only wants to make money selling in game currency in games that westerners like to play. So they normally focus all their resources on the #2 maybe #3 game regardless of how many people regularly play, or how many actually pay to play, while ignoring all the other online games on their side of the planet that have as many as ten times the number of active paying users. And a game that blocks China from the start has a 99% reduction in people selling in game currency compared to...uh...something. All verifiable by a few anecdotal nuggets from the resident SWTOR forum geniuses.

Seems Legit.

You can think whatever you like, it doesn't make it reality.

Could you please quantify the highlighted statement?

In my personal experience, the game's economy is just fine (that is, there is no rampant inflation and thousands or more player-to-player transactions seem to occur each day) and the crafting system, though not as awesome as SWG's was, is working just fine (that is, I and numerous others who can figure out how to roll with changes do very well).

Regarding EA "milking" the CM, that's an incorrect and inflammatory assessment. Within months of launch, EA was put to a tough decision. They could let the game die. Or they could implement a microtransaction model. Or they could try like hell to make the game worth $15 a month to the about 2 million players who tried it but didn't stay.

Given the history - they had already spent numerous years and hundreds of millions of dollars making the game and it still wasn't worth $15 a month to so many people - the third option was out of contention quickly. Now you're left with shut it down or convert to micro-transactions. They're a business. They thought they could run profitably if they implemented a micro-transaction model. So they did it.

Businesses must generate revenue or die. So all that "milking" you're talking about is actually EA just doing what it's supposed to do - delivering something consumers want to purchase so it can generate profitable revenue for its shareholders. Quit complaining about a business doing business. This sh... stuff isn't free.

The game's economy is pretty healthy. That is ONLY the case because in game currency is tied directly to real currency. Every item in the game has a real world dollar value attached to it that controls the inflation/deflation that normally messes up virtual economies. This is so because the Publisher is now the Gold Seller, they do it one step removed, but they are still Gold Sellers.

The game bombed, but it was in no danger of being shut down. This is alarmist revisionist history used to excuse the cash grabbing. The money to develop it had already been spent, there was no plausible scenario of it being shut down as long as there were enough butts in the seats to pay the upkeep costs. The upkeep costs of an MMO in maintenance mode are negligible. The only plausible cases of imminent shutdown were A) for a tax write-off or B) to mitigate brand damage from having (another) failed Star Wars MMO.

The game's economy is pretty healthy. That is ONLY the case because in game currency is tied directly to real currency. Every item in the game has a real world dollar value attached to it that controls the inflation/deflation that normally messes up virtual economies. This is so because the Publisher is now the Gold Seller, they do it one step removed, but they are still Gold Sellers.

The game bombed, but it was in no danger of being shut down. This is alarmist revisionist history used to excuse the cash grabbing. The money to develop it had already been spent, there was no plausible scenario of it being shut down as long as there were enough butts in the seats to pay the upkeep costs. The upkeep costs of an MMO in maintenance mode are negligible. The only plausible cases of imminent shutdown were A) for a tax write-off or B) to mitigate brand damage from having (another) failed Star Wars MMO.

The game's currency is in no way tied to real currency. Game currency is created through player actions in game, namely killing things, looting them, and selling the stuff they loot.

While there might be minuscule amounts of credit at random from cartel packs, you absolutely cannot purchase credits for cartel coins.

The Cartel Market is a cash crop. Don't expect them to change it all that much when there are still people willing to be harvest..er..willing to pay for things that should have been included in the game from the start. Edited by Minack

The game's currency is in no way tied to real currency. Game currency is created through player actions in game, namely killing things, looting them, and selling the stuff they loot.

While there might be minuscule amounts of credit at random from cartel packs, you absolutely cannot purchase credits for cartel coins.

Yeah, while there are MMO companies that actually sell in game currency to players, SWTOR is NOT one of them. All credits (baring the random credit booms, which nobody get's wealthy from), come from in game activities and rewards. CM content being traded for credits on the GTN or via direct player to player selling is a zero-sum game in terms of in game credits. All that happens is credits move from one player to another with 6% withdrawn as a selling fee if it's via GTN.

And while it is technically possible to portray a conversion rate of sorts with respect to CCs and in game credits.. that is driven more then anything by in game player demand for CM items, not any sort of true peg exchange rate.

Edited by Andryah

You can't seriously believe this.

You can purchase items for CC's and sell those items for credits. That is the "one step removed" from EA being the direct gold sellers.

You can purchase items for CC's and sell those items for credits. That is the "one step removed" from EA being the direct gold sellers.

Zero-sum result in total economy CCs though. Sure.. CM items encourage players to buy/sell to each other in game for in game credits.... but all that does is move the credits from point A to point B.

Whereas, direct currency selling does in fact inflate the player economy as it injects new currency into the player economy.

These are very different, with very different results on player economies.

If anything, the proliferation of CM items is mildly deflationary to the in game economy since it peels off 6% of every GTN sale. More CM items means more player to player trading, and that means more active GTN listings and sales.

Edited by Andryah

So credits are tied to US$ because I can use US$ to buy them?

Therefore, every currency, real world, ingame, anything, is tied to the US$ because I can use US$ to purchase them, too.

Rational. :rolleyes:

I just want to point out that this game's cashshop system is FAR superior. It doesn't sell stats or endgame man and offhand components in the shop like LotRO, and this is coming from someone who played LotRO from launch through the Rohan xpac and has a lifetime sub to the game. I loved lotro but it's just gone down hill.

To your other complaints, they sound very valid and I'm sorry your having issues subbing and connecting :( that really does suck

So credits are tied to US$ because I can use US$ to buy them?

Therefore, every currency, real world, ingame, anything, is tied to the US$ because I can use US$ to purchase them, too.

Rational. :rolleyes:

In any game that has no cash shop, you cannot buy ingame currency, either directly or indirectly. Therefore they are not tied to any real world currency because their value is purely virtual. This is why items remain extremely pricey in TOR, unlike in any other non-Cash shop game where everything eventually devalues to the point of being worthless.

And yes, every real world currency and real world good is tied directly to the US$, because every good or currency can be exchanged for US$. This is news to you?

They sold an expansion. They sell cosmetic things only in the Cartel Market. What on that do you think isn't cosmetic? What ingame mechanics have they ruined? Why should they give more to people who don't pay to play the game? Again, they are not a charity.

F2P is insulting to the publisher, period. If people don't think the game is worth spending money on, they shouldn't play it. The insult isn't from the publisher to the player. It's the players insulting the publisher by taking advantage of a free service, thus deriving value from it, and giving nothing in return.

You're going to have to point me to how the cash shop negatively impacted non cash shop areas of the game, like operations, flash points, new planets, etc.

Again, F2P players generate no revenue. They represent no value to the publisher. They should be thrilled to play such a great game for free, even with the restrictions placed upon them.

You said: (the Cartel Market) has a negative effect on the game economy and crafting system.

I can answer all of these with one word: Artifice. The cartel market has made an absolute joke of the market for selling leveling crystals. It's taken quite a lot away from Artifice.

Cybertech: Can sell armoring, mods, etc, along with end-game variations. These are something that are always in need, because as long as the game exists, there will be a need for people to search for better gear.

Biochem: There will, similarly, always be a need for players to get better implants and replace the various stims they use.

Armormech and Synthweaving have large selections of orange gear to sell, along with augment things. Not replaced as often, but still something with a continued, viable market.

Armstech: Same as cybertech, but with barrels and hilts.

Artifice: Well, they can make end-game color crystals - which if we're honest, aren't a big deal for stats anymore, only for color. The market on these is very low, because once you have a crystal, you don't have to replace it. You can take it out of your weapon, store it, ship it off to another character with legacy items, and it's not going to get "upgraded" stat-wise. They can make enhancements, true, and that's a good market, but...uh... There's some augments IIRC, and....well, that's really the only useful stuff they can make a profit on. Isn't much, compared to other crafting markets that will have much more need. Leveling crystals? Cartel crystals wiped that out. Offhands? Go run the very first flashpoint and get an orange offhand. Orange weapons? Well, there's...a very scant few. Leveling weapons? Nope. If you're leveling in any way other than GSF, getting the planetary comms to upgrade orange gear won't be a problem. If you're leveling in GSF, you didn't need to upgrade that gear anyway.

So, in summary: The cartel market completely shattered 1/2 (1/3rd if you -must- count end-game crystals) of Artifice's viable, renewable markets. No other crafting skill has been hit like that. The orange armor from other crafting skills isn't buyable through the cartel market - you'll need crafters to get that look. Augments, stims, etc - not purchasable through the cartel market. Armoring and mods are, for two levels: 15 and 30, but the CC cost is high enough that you'd have to have more money than sense to take advantage of that.

Zero-sum result in total economy CCs though. Sure.. CM items encourage players to buy/sell to each other in game for in game credits.... but all that does is move the credits from point A to point B.

Whereas, direct currency selling does in fact inflate the player economy as it injects new currency into the player economy.

If anything, the proliferation of CM items is mildly deflationary to the in game economy since it peels off 6% of every GTN sale. More CM items means more player to player trading, and that means more active GTN listings and sales.

Pretty much this. There is fortunately no way to buy credits for cash, and CM items to not put new credits in the system. /topic

Pretty much this. There is fortunately no way to buy credits for cash, and CM items to not put new credits in the system. /topic

It is different that directly selling credits for cash, but that is not what Gold Sellers are doing. They are making those credits in the game and selling them for cash. They are not creating the credits out of thin air.

EA isn't likely to directly sell credits for cash because it would destroy their economic model by reducing the value of CM goods.

Edited by CosmicKat

It is different that directly selling credits for cash, but that is not what Gold Sellers are doing. They are making those credits in the game and selling them for cash. They are not creating the credits out of thin air.

EA isn't likely to directly sell credits for cash because it would destroy their economic model by reducing the value of CM goods.

That is what I said, wasn't it? So you argument that you can buy money for cash is sort of broken...

That is what I said, wasn't it? So you argument that you can buy money for cash is sort of broken...

Well that wasn't the argument but ok.

The argument was that the in game economy is tied to real world cash, which it is. Which is why it isn't as broken as most MMO economies would be after a similar time period.

Inflation on low level gear happens not because of credits entering the game or the CM but because people with the resources of a level 55 roll low level alts. That's what happens in all MMOs.

How does EA "milk" it if you're choosing to buy these things? Why do you, a subscriber (known because you can post to these forums) have to buy any of the things you mentioned?

Why not a combination? In the end, it is something the customers wanted that BioWare put into the game. They're not a charity; they're a business. They're allowed and expected and deserve to generate profitable revenue.

Yes, should have been in at launch. But, again, players asked for it and it's in the game. Look, BioWare listening to and implementing customer feedback. What a shocking turn of events.

You pretty much echoed what I said there, so thanks. Some like some gear others like other gear. Personal tastes.

Just trying to be argumentative now?

How could they answer the questions that the class reps ask if they don't listen to the questions?

Get over it, snowflake, if they don't implement the exact thing you want exactly when you want it. They have to be profitable. They have finite resources - staff and schedule. They have to prioritize.

Maybe. Maybe not. The original developers definitely screwed up. They're gone now. The current developers have to work with what the original developers left. That's the way this works.

Then... go play LOTRO? And, again, since you are clearly a subscriber, why do you have to pay to unlock a quickbar or a helm?

You're advocating for more free stuff for players who don't pay to play the game. How exactly does that equate to BioWare making money? You might have to draw me a picture for this explanation...

Also, importantly, you neglected to answer my question and you even went so far as to cut it out when you quoted me. here's the context again.

OK Crystals, Modabble armour which used to be extremely rare, Custom built mounts, lightsabers, gear all used to sell pretty well, now? Not worth the time, cost and effort to make because you can buy the crap from the CM, or of the GTN from people selling the unwanted crap they get from crates.

Seriously I do not get how you can be defending it by saying it hasn't effected the game. I get it, you love this game, but I would say you love it blindly if you cannot see the impact the CM has had on the game.

I am not advocating more free stuff for F2P, I am advocating making the game more friendlier to F2P so they have a fair choice to sub or not? And more over, if a subscriber has been playing since launch, then they suddenly go to preferred, yes they do need to spend CC's to unlock quickbars etc... Yes I know they get free CC's a month, but TBH a previous subscriber from launch should be entitled to these things.

F2P represent potential customers or revenue if you like. So I think it is in EAwares interest to give potential customers a good time, and not to alienate them from their game within the first few hours/days of playing, don't you?

They do not slell cosmetic stuff only in the CM, that is flat out wrong. Not even their armours are cosmetic only, they are adaptive, which means anyone can wear anything, again IMO I think this is stupid, especially seeing Bounty hunters run around in Sith clothes. Ruined Lore, Ruins the experience (for me) so that's more negativity on gameplay for you.

It's not just me that wants toggle hoods, again though when the majority of your customer base want something, your right, how profitable can it be to you, oh you'll make no money, ok don't give it to them then... "ahhh why is everyone leaving our game? Quick make more skins for our armours.... We need more quick monies before there is no one left!"

And I never said it negatively effect Flashpoints, OP's etc... but in some ways it has, because good luck trying to sell the gear you find from them on the GTN, you can yes but selling blue level 40 armour for about 3000 credits isn't my idea of a good economy.

And lastly I didn't argue with you on the Bounty week, I simply said I don't know, could be how you told, it may not be how you told it. Maybe you can give me some evidence of this, such as the evidence you keep asking me to show you, which there is plenty of all across these boards and in game..

I get you love this game, and won't let anyone say a bad word about it. At least I can accept that there are/used to be (class stories) good things about this game. You just blindly follow and defend everything. Anyone with any sense can see the negative impact the CM has had on this game, and they have not made any effort to rectify it,

\

As for milking the CM, no I do not need to buy anything, nor does anybody else, but there are people who will happily throw their cash at fluff. For me, to charge people $4.99 for a random chane of some loot, then charge another $2.99 to unlock a mount you just paid $4.99 for for all your other character, or maybe as much as $9.99 for rarer things is milking it. I am sorry if you don't agree but it is. Skyrim released whole expansions for as little as that, and not just Skyrim other games to. But if you think a mount or some armour is worth $10-15 dollars then you have more money than sense.

Be wary when anyone uses a 99% change as a statistic in any discussion as it is usually bull*****. I've been playing SWTOR in China since launch and it has always been IP blocked. Part of the reason I started playing the game in Beta was because they said they weren't going to region block it and I knew i was going to be relocating to China soon after launch.

That of course turned out to be a outright lie, I've always had to have a VPN to play, and within the last year or so they've done some tweaking to their launcher protocols during updates that has made it very difficult to play even with a VPN. This includes large latency and random disconnects. As other people have said, you can play every other major MMO with no issues from China EXCEPT SWTOR. I'm getting better latency playing ESO in Beta than I get from SWTOR and that's pathetic.

Their blocks on Chinese IP's has no effect on Gold/Credit farming at all. Any serious game currency farming operation has access to multiple VPN's as a standard.

Exactly this!

I had SWTOR when I lived in the UK and brought this game because they promised no IP bans, and after moving to China two months later I found out I needed a VPN to play. After many wasted emails and calls I ascertained that EAware wouldn't help me and simply denied any IP blocks were in place.

Funny that because every other major MMO I have tries, and that's been a lot, are not blocked here. Just this game...

And to me it is discrimination to ban an entire country on the basis that a small % of them may be gold farmers.

Edited by Mortelus

Seriously????????

You will defend this to your last breath. Look at the amount of adaptive CM armours, CM crystals, CM mounts, CM this, that and everything else. All brought with real cash, all sold for virtual cash.. How is it not tied?

Please, please, please, tell me how.

EDIT : (OK didn't read what you wrote there properly, my bad :p) And miniscule amounts of cash, hahahahah, so Revans Mask, CM brought, sells for 15'000'000 credits, yeah cuz that is minuscule. Crystals, Dyes ect sell for 8,000,000 credits, again such a miniscule amount of credits.

Now how much looting from mobs would I need to do just to make up the cost of those items.....?

Edited by Mortelus

So having items that sell for 15'000'000 credits in game brought from the CM is in no way inflating the economy.

Gold Farming does not inject new currency into the game, because A) it was made in the game and B) It was not hacked and added to the game, as point A states, it was made in game. It is no different than me giving my friend some credits to go buy something.

Gold farming has a negative effect because of the scale it is performed on, pretty much how the CM has also had a negative effect, because of the scale and sellable rate of most items.

I think you have this backwards.

So having items that sell for 15'000'000 credits in game brought from the CM is in no way inflating the economy.

The 15 million credits already existed in game. It belonged to another player and it moved around. And since the GTN takes a percentage off the top during the sale, it actually deflated the economy just a bit.

Gold Farming does not inject new currency into the game, because A) it was made in the game and B) It was not hacked and added to the game, as point A states, it was made in game. It is no different than me giving my friend some credits to go buy something.

It depends how the gold farmer gets the money. If they got it by hacking another account (common practice) there is no inflation.

If they got it by botting common activties (killing low-levels mobs, opening chests), it does result in inflating the economy. Those credits didn't exist before. They are created by the game in response to the game activity.

Note that this is the same thing that happens when any player turns in a quest, kills a mob or opens a chest. This results in credits being created out of thin air. This is (theoretically) balanced by things that "destroy" money, such as buying something from a vendor, using a taxi, repairing your gear, etc.

A gold farmer makes a profit by figuring out ways to "create" more money than is "destroyed". In a large enough scale, it can result in significant inflation.

Nothing purchased in the Cartel Market and sold on the GTN is capable of inflation. No money is ever created, it is just moved around.