Free look Issues **

SwiftDuck

Since the 2.6 update a bug has occurred with the free look options. When you free look, all the enemy/Friendly name tags disappear making spotting with free look pointless to use.

So if you don't know the name of the pilot shooting at you, it is "pointless to use"?!?

Are you frigging SlowDuck?

Edited by Zharik

So if you don't know the name of the pilot shooting at you, it is "pointless to use"?!?

Are you frigging SlowDuck?

Forum rules is against insulting or calling out.

Your reply was pointless.

Free look is supposed to help you spot enemies or friendly targets without changing course to help you navigate the battlefield.

I said nothing about who was shooting at your. The R key brings that up. Free Look Its for spotting man.

Edited by SwiftDuck

Forum rules is against insulting or calling out.

Your reply was pointless.

Nah, it was hilarious. Uncalled for, but hilarious.

Free look is supposed to help you spot enemies or friendly targets without changing course to help you navigate the battlefield.

It definitely does that, though. Like Zharik said, you don't need to know names to know that there's a threat behind/next to/far away from you.

Its not about having a threat. If i want to know who is shooting at me..I will press R.

If i want to see a group of my teammates positions without changing course..free look removes names is what im tying to say..making spotting impossible with free look. You guys are missing my point. Spotting and bring up last target to hit you is two very different things.

When the names are removed from a friendly ..say a bomber with repair drones. it makes using free look to spot your targets pointless. Im sorry if you can spot a friendly bomber 18000 meters away without his tag on him..you have the worlds greatest eyes and monitor

Edited by SwiftDuck

Its not about having a threat. If i want to know who is shooting at me..I will press R.

If i want to see a group of my teammates positions without changing course..free look removes names is what im tying to say..making spotting impossible with free look. You guys are missing my point. Spotting and bring up last target to hit you is two very different things.

When the names are removed from a friendly ..say a bomber with repair drones. it makes using free look to spot your targets pointless. Im sorry if you can spot a friendly bomber 18000 meters away without his tag on him..you have the worlds greatest eyes and monitor

I was home after a night out celebrating the stepson's 21st... I am not gonna make any excuses for going over the top with the SlowDuck thing (Ok, sorry about that, really.) but your use of the word "pointless" was what I was focusing on. Pointless would be you see the inside of your cockpit... THAT would be "pointless". I use free look to see. Having your head on a swivel is VITAL in aerial combat, which pilot name is "to your right/left/whatever" is not vital.

Oh yeah... R works for those who have hit you... missing you it does nothing.

Edited by Zharik

Its not about seeing who is directly right or left of you. When i use the "swivel feature" I cannot see anything. Ships in the distance are too small to spot. IF someone is maybe say 3000 meters away that is fine.. i ant to see where everyone is at all times without having to fly around in circles

But spotting a friendly 10000 meters+ is impossible in the darkness of space and with such small ships..having those tags stay on your friendly/enemy target while free looking would be helpful.

Do you yet see what i mean? I feel like you're missing my point

Edited by SwiftDuck

Its not about seeing who is directly right or left of you. When i use the "swivel feature" I cannot see anything. Ships in the distance are too small to spot. IF someone is maybe say 3000 meters away that is fine.. i ant to see where everyone is at all times without having to fly around in circles

But spotting a friendly 10000 meters+ is impossible in the darkness of space and with such small ships..having those tags stay on your friendly/enemy target while free looking would be helpful.

Do you yet see what i mean? I feel like you're missing my point

Well I was missing your point until you cleared things up. Yes, at a distance, maybe they are hard to see but your eyes are not what you are expected to navigate with over long distances. I still would like a target nearest friendly repair drone button...

I'd like to have the ship names back with friendly/foe designation. Range wouldn't hurt either. As it is I dont find free look very useful. Don't know what dev intent is here but for me it's a take it or leave it issue. Either way is fine I just won't use free look often without it providing more info.

Agreed - the point is that "freelook" now behaves differently than it did before the 2.6 update, with no mention to any changes in patch notes. Is this by design or a bug? It's not nearly as useful now as it was - I'd argue it's useless now because I'm unable to spot targets or friendlies at any sort of distance...

I would agree it is useless. The previous incarnation allowed you to orient yourself and your enemies. The current version doesn't draw anything at all- ships the size of school busses several miles away don't have a very useful visual profile, that's why we have radar and computers. Edited by Verain

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed - the point is that "freelook" now behaves differently than it did before the 2.6 update, with no mention to any changes in patch notes. Is this by design or a bug? It's not nearly as useful now as it was - I'd argue it's useless now because I'm unable to spot targets or friendlies at any sort of distance...

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

If I'm flying and i get hit with a missile or something and need repairs, or if i run out of missiles and i need to refill my ammo. I need to know exactly where my teammates are at all times. Pressing the F key lets you free look, i should be able to use free look to spin my camera around and look for a teammate bomber for some ammo/repairs etc.

If i am in a VOIP and my wingman asks me for help i need to be able to spin that camera and see where he is and his pursuer are immediately to fly to him and help out.

The F key free look and the new number pad camera keys are providing a broken hud upon use. Can I get some confirmation from a dev that this is working as intended or is in fact a "bug"

Thanks

Good break down.

• 4 weeks later...