Please make zooming actually necessary for Gunships

AdvancedJedi

Please make zooming required in order to properly aim for gunships. Im sure most ppl will agree that its actually best to be in zoomed out mode that also gives you high field of view than to zoom on your target. Zooming in in GSF will make you miss more which is just wrong.

Some GSF gunship pilots were surprised there even was zooming when I spoke with them. I understand physics has never been Bioware's strongest point but pls do it like in any other proper shooter where snipers actually need to zoom and hit target's body/head/etc.

First, could you type out a complete thought with proper grammatical structure so that everyone here can understand the issue that you're complaining about without it sounding like a jumble of words that you need to read through about 4 times to completely understand the message that you're trying to convey with your post?

Second off, unless they changed the mechanics in the Official Launch patch, then whenever you use your Railgun it should zoom in automatically.

Wait a damn minute.

You mean to tell me that for the last month and a bit I have been playing GSF unaware that the gunships HAD A ZOOM?????

I did not know they had an adjustable scope!!!

I was sure it was fixed!?!?!

Oh the joy I will have if I have been derping this whole time and can login today and use some zoom to toast you even more.

Something tells me you don't know what the hell you are talking about, but believe me, I sincerely hope I am the ignorant one today.

If you give me zoom on a gunship, I will rain terror on satellites today, the likes of which my mates have never seen!!!

The hardest part about sniping with a gunship is the low magnification!

You can zoom in further than the 62 percent default, and you can zoom out to 0 percent...

Not sure if post above me is legit or excellently veiled trolling, however :p

I say the same to you sir.

I am never going to live this one down if you are right... time to go see for myself... lol

Mousewheel up and down control the zoom. But of course, a good player doesn't need much of that if anything. There could be an actual reward for zooming- for instance, the hit box could be bigger if you were actually zoomed in.

As a fun experiment, get very close to a ship, turret, whatever, and do your scope. Then aim anywhere just barely outside of the very center- the few-pixel grouping that defines the center. Your shot will miss. No matter the range, you are apparently always shooting for the enemy pilot's left nut.

There's a few wonky things about gunships. Specifically:

>The railguns all say 20 degrees, which is smaller than heavy laser, a tiny little circle indeed. This is a bug, but I hope they don't go with 20 degrees- it's FAR too small. On the other hand, the massive circle provided by burst laser cannon is far too large. This is a confirmed bug, but whatever the fix is would be a massive nerf to gunships if done directly. They'll probably have to fix the bug and also address the railgun.

>The "you must hit me" circle never gets bigger than a couple pixels, no matter the range. Presumably it should be a bit easier to hit someone at 4k than 15k if both are stationary (the extra lateral movement should provide the hard to hit part), but this is not true.

> The zoom feature mostly is a disadvantage, not an advantage. It's mostly useful for targets very much at maximum range who are moving a certain amount. I can't find any gunships that routinely use (or even CAN use) this feature.

> Right clicking kills momemtum instantly. This is useful in a dogfight. It doesn't make gunships too good (they are still bad at dogfights), but it is very odd that they alone have this feature.

Basically, the design is wonky. If the hittable center was to change- say require a bit of zoom for 15km, but be hard to miss a stationary target at 3km- and the railgun scope size set to the inbuilt ones- gunships would have a very different set of abilities, in practice.

Sorry for lack of clarity, but english isnt my native language. But yes, I meant Mouse Wheel up / Mouse Wheel Down zoom. Generally once you are already in zoomed mode, you can zoom in even further and zoom out. Some ppl didn't know about this, but frankly speaking Zooming In reduces your hit chances, which is just wrong. Normal aiming when zoomed is required, not hitting "red circle" but actually having a ship in your recticle (like in other games with sniper rifles).

P.S. thanks for trolling, im sure most of you speak at least 3+ languages at least as I do :)

The funny thing is the OP is correct, the target's hitbox gets BIGGER as you zoom out. This is completely wrong and makes "sniping" easiest at 0% zoom. It gets SMALLER as you zoom in which makes hitting drones/mines easier but hitting ships much harder.

Note that the target's "hitbox" is the bullseye reticule. So zooming in should make it bigger zooming out should make it smaller (on your screen). Basically it should fill a larger portion of your screen as you zoom in, and smaller as you zoom out.

Edited by Zharik

First, could you type out a complete thought with proper grammatical structure so that everyone here can understand the issue that you're complaining about without it sounding like a jumble of words that you need to read through about 4 times to completely understand the message that you're trying to convey with your post?

Second off, unless they changed the mechanics in the Official Launch patch, then whenever you use your Railgun it should zoom in automatically.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle meet pot. (I see a run-on sentence in a post flaming another for his sentence structure)

The funny thing is the OP is correct, the target's hitbox gets BIGGER as you zoom out. This is completely wrong and makes "sniping" easiest at 0% zoom. It gets SMALLER as you zoom in which makes hitting drones/mines easier but hitting ships much harder.

Note that the target's "hitbox" is the bullseye reticule. So zooming in should make it bigger zooming out should make it smaller (on your screen). Basically it should fill a larger portion of your screen as you zoom in, and smaller as you zoom out.

And don't forget that when zooming out, the reticule becomes steadier.

And don't forget that when zooming out, the reticule becomes steadier.

Well actually I don't have a problem with the fact that at minimum zoom you turn at max rate and at zoom you turn slower. I can see the computer automatically adjusting that for you. But to make you more accurate at min zoom is absurd.

Well actually I don't have a problem with the fact that at minimum zoom you turn at max rate and at zoom you turn slower. I can see the computer automatically adjusting that for you. But to make you more accurate at min zoom is absurd.

The point was that in addition to the reticule size increasing, making him steadier also increase accuracy in some way.

With max zoom every little change of trajectory messes with the player's aiming, as you'll have trouble keeping the cursor in the reticule.

With min zoom, target's movement will mean few variation on the Gunship's screen, making the cursor more easily "in".

Edited by Altheran