Rift launched in 1 day why cant you?

tudian

OK, just got to say again.

Clearly most of you don't know anything about Rift, don't have a clue how many people they had playing at once. Their launch day with over a million people ran like a well tuned machine. Whenever queues got high, they opened up new servers, AND allowed free transfers. Major lack of bugs. It was like the game had been out for YEARS and this was only day one of launch.

Rift was able to handle an insane amount of people easily, yet SWTOR can't put in even a third of the preorders in game without freaking out.

You are quite aware that the original ''Early Access'' was first intended to be the 15th right? Bioware just had good luck with their stuff and decided to start ''Early Access'' - TO SOME DEGREE, two days earlier.

You are also quite aware the Bioware ain't Trion, and you cannot expect an MMO to launch that smooth. Wow never launched that smooth, in fact, it was one of the worst launches ever, and look where that is now? I am a 100% sure they will not lose customers on this, except for idiots who can't read, wich, I for one, would not mind.

And good for Trion, that Rift ran so smooth. And I mean that! Any MMO SHOULD launch that smooth, but I'd tell you, it ain't gonna happen. They were lucky.

I'd raise the stakes a bit further by saying that SW:Tor is a bit, if not MUCH bigger than Rift. I can't really believe people complain about not getting their early access yet. You are, as other people have said, only entitled to ''UP TO'' 5 days. UP TO means: That OR less. If you've read the pre-order description properly, you would know this, but obviously you haven't read anything. This goes out, not just to you, but to everything bit***** about not getting into the game this early. Just wait it out, gosh darnit. It's been three years, what is a few more days going to hurt?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I wouldn't call Bioware fail, I'm wondering the same thing.

Trion did it perfectly with Rift (True there were some queues, but that's because everyone tried to pile on the same server) so why can't Bioware do it with TOR? (Rift had 1 million pre orders)

Again, I'm not calling Bioware out but I am genuinely curious about this.

Number of pre-orders/players is actually a pretty weak argument. Bioware/EA knew approximately how many pre-orders they would have, so you'd think they would put in the infrastructure to be able to reasonably handle it.

People don't let GM off the hook for making shoddy cars because they have to make 10 times as many as a smaller car maker and thus their facilities can't handle the volume. They simply expect GM to add facilities to handle the volume.

But the early access method is not even the big problem. The big problem is the lack of communication and setting realistic expectations for the community. I mean, if you did a poll yesterday about what the cut-off date for today would be, how many do you think would say July 27th and earlier? 5% at most? That's mishandled expectations resulting in predictable blowback.

What if they have the infrastructure but choose not to use it? Opening with too many servers early is dangerous because they will soon be ghost towns. Having starter zones with 100 players fighting for one spawn isn't fun either.

I would be absolutely surprised if they wouldn't have the infrastructure to let everybody in but the nature of the MMO is that all these people would be sitting in the same zone for hours trying to level out of the crowd. Bioware rates play experience and the "story" higher than most companies. It might be their failure.

I played rift the first day. The let the entire community enter at once and the game ran flawlessly all day. sure there were queues. They got up to 5 hours+ .. thats unavoidable. People simply changed severs. They added new severs all day and it was no problem. Later they opened free transfers so people could move as they pleased.

Letting only a small amount of people in at a time is not neccisary. Also they advartized 5 day early for pre-orders. This means everyone who pre-ordered will be allowed in on the 15th barring any unexpected problems.

The first 2 days will be for early pre-orders only. They didnt NEED to do it this way. They just CHOSE to do it this way. They need to accept the fact that a lot of people will be angy about it for now but will get over it as soon as they can play.

star wars tor pls give me early access!! it was my bday the other day so soooooooo come on plsSSS!!

I played rift the first day. The let the entire community enter at once and the game ran flawlessly all day. sure there were queues. They got up to 5 hours+ .. thats unavoidable. People simply changed severs. They added new severs all day and it was no problem. Later they opened free transfers so people could move as they pleased.

Letting only a small amount of people in at a time is not neccisary. Also they advartized 5 day early for pre-orders. This means everyone who pre-ordered will be allowed in on the 15th barring any unexpected problems.

The first 2 days will be for early pre-orders only. They didnt NEED to do it this way. They just CHOSE to do it this way. They need to accept the fact that a lot of people will be angy about it for now but will get over it as soon as they can play.

because Rift sucks a big pair of bantha nuts

Because a MMO that as of Nov. 2011 2.1 million sub is a failure. Please people...stop bashing Rift. Especially if you never played it. Still waiting and I'm happy to wait for the email. I did not pre-order it until 11/02. So looks like I will have to wait a few more days...but, I really don't care. Most of you ADD kids will be playing something else in a Month anyway. So the server population will be going down.:)

For some reason i feel like joining the trolls.

But honestly, Still a Rift subscriber here, and a SWTOR pre-order.

And a MMO vet spanning 10+ years of gaming in this genre.

Rift had the most flawless launches I have ever been apart of, has the best patch turn around time, and have been dishing out content from day one.

Just because a new MMO comes out, doesn't mean the other is trash. Sorry but Rift definitely deserves some Kudos, and for those haters, sorry you haven't found a game you enjoy yet... hopefully TOR will work for you, most of you it won't and you will be back on forums trolling the next game that you think will bring you video game bliss.

I didn't get in on this "wave" but I have an HK raid tonight anyways.

Is it the 20th already? Didn't realize we reached launch.

Get off your high horse and read the first sentence of the Welcome Message stickied at the top.

"Welcome Message from Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk | Today , 07:16 AM

This is a big day for us; we are launching Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare’s largest and most ambitious project to date, and we’re very proud that you’ve been able to join us. It’s an honor to be able to share this game with you."

Not really, the MMO market is huge now, if this were 2003 then that may be a valid statement.....

No, the MMO market isn't huge. It just has turn over. How many people do you think will actually stick with Star wars that pre-ordered it?

It certainly isn't 2.5million, like you want to believe. Over 500k subscribers is HUGE profit for any MMO. 1 million + is even better. RIFT is doing really good, especially considering most of its subscriptions are american and not asian (IE: WoW, AION).

Now it's not doing so good but it did have the best launch i've been in, and i've been in a lot.

Not saying this is the worst, DAoC, WAR and DCUO hold a joint for that record. WoW had a pretty bad one as well.

I'm not going to include UO and EQ in that because they had nothing big to base anything off before them but they weren't smooth by a long shot.

So all in all, it's not going too badly here. Just not as well as some people wanted.

Can't please everyone.

Where did you play DAoC because the EU launch on Feb 15 2002 in the UK was very smooth. There were issues with the Shrouded Isle EP launch though but without any shadow of a doubt beta testing and playing pretty much every MMO there's been since EQ, the worst launch for a vanilla game was WoW.

Servers down, crashing, lag, characters stuck looting, simply too many people in one place etc. On Turalyon we ended up with four days free time from the launch because it was that bad.

No, the MMO market isn't huge. It just has turn over. How many people do you think will actually stick with Star wars that pre-ordered it?

It certainly isn't 2.5million, like you want to believe. Over 500k subscribers is HUGE profit for any MMO. 1 million + is even better. RIFT is doing really good, especially considering most of its subscriptions are american and not asian (IE: WoW, AION).

Actually, it is huge, at least that's what she said. And are you claiming to know how many people will be playing TOR in the future, please enlighten us future man!

It does not really matter what you all say, this is the launch of Star Wars the Old Republic MMO, but instead of a free for all where the lucky ones get to log on and enjoy the game, Bioware is rolling out the game slowly to a known amount of players. Seems like a totally logical way to do it to me and it looks to me like the first day was a real success.

The only thing that I would even mention is that I think Bioware should send out ALL the emails as to when your early access begins so that people are not left wondering. That is the only thing I can see that they might have handled differently, because I know that if could write my time down and then wait for it, things would not seem so confused as they are now...just sayin'...

OK, just got to say again.

Clearly most of you don't know anything about Rift, don't have a clue how many people they had playing at once. Their launch day with over a million people ran like a well tuned machine. Whenever queues got high, they opened up new servers, AND allowed free transfers. Major lack of bugs. It was like the game had been out for YEARS and this was only day one of launch.

Rift was able to handle an insane amount of people easily, yet SWTOR can't put in even a third of the preorders in game without freaking out.

Rift didn't start with 1 million subscribers, it took them till about August to reach that, so about 5 months

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36597/GDC_Europe_Premium_Game_Devs_Need_To_Evolve_With_The_New_Era_Says_Trions_Reid.php/

They did announce 1 million registered accounts which gave forum access, but those were not subscriber accounts. Even in that announcement they stated it showed a lot of interest. But it wasn't till ~5 months after release did they hit 1 million subscribers.

I played rift the first day. The let the entire community enter at once and the game ran flawlessly all day. sure there were queues.

Rift has a max of 600k subs total, their admission during an earnings meeting. SWTOR had 2 million beta testers the last tester weekend.

You figure it out.

Get off your high horse and read the first sentence of the Welcome Message stickied at the top.

"Welcome Message from Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk | Today , 07:16 AM

This is a big day for us; we are launching Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare’s largest and most ambitious project to date, and we’re very proud that you’ve been able to join us. It’s an honor to be able to share this game with you."

I find it ironic that most of the ones that keep refering to the welcoming message thread don't/didn't bother to read when they pre-ordered and/or the Waves sticky.

If you're not one of them don't take offense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.