The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[help] PvP: hybrid or full madness?

Capote

Hey,

In the past few months I've run some builds on my DPS sorc, but couldn't decide which one to use in PvP. Of course this is a matter of taste/gameplay, but it seems like full madness or madness/lightning hybrid are the best options nowadays (for both warzones and ranked arenas).

Still, as I am not that good in PvP, there's a big chance I'm wrong, so I'd like to ask you guys what is the best option for PvP (mostly for solo ranked arenas): full madness or a hybrid build?

Thanks for helping!

1) 23/0/23

2) 5/5/36

Hybrid is a huge DPS nurf (at least 15% if not more) and instead you get a huge survivability boost and will do large amounts of damage in places the other team is clumped up like Void Star but none of it will really matter.

I stay away from 23/0/23. Seen too many bad sorcs and sages trying to kill me with it. The spec might do well 1v1 but it excells at neither healing nor damage when it comes to helping your team.

I also have not played lightning/madness hybrid in a long time. Its either full madness for team pressure or full lightning for healer killer duty.

You would need 3 points in Lightning to get the Force reduction otherwise your Force regen would be in a bad place . If you just want to add a little DPS to a healing spec http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GorbdMrorhZ0cZcMcMs.3 this would be a good option since Force Lighting doesn't get any crit modifiers and is Force efficent giving you a little force back and spamable if you need to jump in on a low target.. The spec still gives some single target healing and good bonus to healing with the force speed break.

I would not take Sith Purity as the heal is small and the purge ability no longer clears Madness dots anyways.

I would not take Sith Purity as the heal is small and the purge ability no longer clears Madness dots anyways.

You don't take Sith Purity for the heal, you take it for the ability to cleanse physical slows and roots off yourself (and there are a LOT of them). Makes LOS and H2F much easier, especially if they CCed your sprint and then tried to rootlock you.

Trust me, I know. :cool:

been having good luck with a madness/lightning hybrid up to mezbubble.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZccMrd0MZcrfRs0krs.3

I know it sounds stupid because your dots break the mez, but the bubble is just for the people you are not bursting down, the ones that try to kill you while you are trying to kill the enemy healer. It makes for good solo fighting also, i know sorcs suck at 1v1 but this spec is nice and i often get 1v2s.

and a full wz

^ This.

Here's 2.5k DPS in this spec (for anyone claiming it's a damage loss). It has the potential to go a lot higher.

Because you are a good player and have a whole team behind to support you. Lightning is a gimp as it is now in pvp but 2.7 probably will make it easy for more sorcs to play hybrid with less support.

^ This.

Here's 2.5k DPS in this spec (for anyone claiming it's a damage loss). It has the potential to go a lot higher.

Am I right in assuming most of the time you were in combat you faced 5 or more players which allowed for massive AE? Don't get me wrong I ran hybrid from day 1 but changed to Madness recently..

Because you are a good player and have a whole team behind to support you. Lightning is a gimp as it is now in pvp but 2.7 probably will make it easy for more sorcs to play hybrid with less support.

Full Lightning, certainly. I'd never run that in PvP. But 30/16 offers enough mobility and survivability to run in solo queue. Sure, Madness (and Madness-heavy hybrid) are more independent, but their potential DPS ultimately hits a glass ceiling, whereas 30/16 can match them, with the potential to heavily out-damage them in the correct situation.

And yes, I was against healers. This isn't a typical WZ, but just an indication of the potential of this spec, which could feasibly hit 3k in the perfect situation. I do however play this spec most of the time (often in solo queue), and will out-damage Balance/Madness players with it 95% of the time. Sometimes by a little, sometimes by a lot, depending on the situation.

Edited by Methanos

I do however play this spec most of the time (often in solo queue), and will out-damage Balance/Madness players with it 95% of the time. Sometimes by a little, sometimes by a lot, depending on the situation.
To be fair, there are only 1-2 with the potential of being on par with you in terms of output on TRE so in your case I'd say that it has more to do with skill and less to do with spec. Edited by MidichIorian

I agree with Methanos, 0/30/16 is almost always better in terms of burst and damage, especially aoe. Situationally it's also better in survivability, peeling and, due to non-existant force issues, also at offhealing.

Madness/Balance is more mobile, better for responding to incs and slightly more self-sufficient with the dot heal procs. I'd say it's probably the better spec for regs. And for huttball :D

I've mostly played Balance over last 2 years, although I have plenty of experience in all specs and all kinds of hybrids. But lately I'm in the 0/30/16 most of the time.

Edited by ceazare

To be fair, there are only 1-2 with the potential of being on par with you in terms of output on TRE so in your case I'd say that it has more to do with skill and less to do with spec.

Well, TRE does have some pretty decent Balance Sages (in fact, see above), but I really just wanted to highlight that the previous claim that hybrid is a DPS loss isn't really correct.

Of course, any spec will perform differently depending on the situation, but IMO, 30/16 and 4/13/29 certainly don't suffer any DPS loss (especially compared with the power-hungry 5/5/36).

Edited by Methanos

Returning player here...whats the PVP rotation for this 0/30/16 build?!?!

Same here, just recently returned from a couple months off and my old sorc. pvp spec aint cutting it. I tried this build but my rotation is a bit out of whack. Any advice on the ideal rotation would be appreciated!

You can find one or two yotube guides on it but I wouldn't advise it seeing how Fadout is becoming a Tier 2 talents which means 7 points in healing tree if you PvP! With that change I can safely say go full Madness...

Fadeout is 10000% needed against teams that know what they are doing...

Consider how much/many roots and snares are in this game...Carnage alone can 3sec charge+3sec throw+3sec Ravage DURING the Gore window and you are dead! Charge is on a 15sec CD and throw is on a ? sec CD but also short...Unless you have Fadeout its 99.99% dead....during those back-to-back 9 sec every one else on his team is nuking you AND your Resolve is empty loool

7/3/36

Edited by Cempa

• 3 months later...
You can find one or two yotube guides on it but I wouldn't advise it seeing how Fadout is becoming a Tier 2 talents which means 7 points in healing tree if you PvP! With that change I can safely say go full Madness...

Fadeout is 10000% needed against teams that know what they are doing...

Consider how much/many roots and snares are in this game...Carnage alone can 3sec charge+3sec throw+3sec Ravage DURING the Gore window and you are dead! Charge is on a 15sec CD and throw is on a ? sec CD but also short...Unless you have Fadeout its 99.99% dead....during those back-to-back 9 sec every one else on his team is nuking you AND your Resolve is empty loool

7/3/36

hello bro

can you share with me the lighting and corruption tree for full madness , im now 3/7/36 but i missed out fadeout so i want to know how to build

• 2 weeks later...