Ability bloat?

Henshini

Forgive me if this is a dead horse, but I haven't been super active in this community. Have the devs ever acknowledged the ability bloat in this game? Have they talked about what they could do to lessen it? Maybe cut way back on DPS CDs? Drop a 'rotational' damage ability from each class?

Forgive me if this is a dead horse, but I haven't been super active in this community. Have the devs ever acknowledged the ability bloat in this game? Have they talked about what they could do to lessen it? Maybe cut way back on DPS CDs? Drop a 'rotational' damage ability from each class?

They did one scale-back of abilities fairly early on when they removed (I believe) 1 ability from each class - I know Inquisitor/Consular lost a "use only when target is stunned or incapacitated" attack, and I think that may have been the case for the other classes to.

Since then I don't think there's been any indication that the devs have plans to reduce the number of abilities. I know with my Sorc, Jugg and Sent I find they definitely have a lot of options, but I don't personally find it overwhelming.

I do hope that when they next raise the level caps, the new abilities that go along with the increase are "upgrades" on existing abilities instead of more "bloat" as you call it. By that I don't mean just "Rank 42" of the existing abilities, but an actual replacement ability that adds some new functionality (e.g. replacing Sorc's Lightning Strike with a new attack that looks different, has the same cast time and direct damage, but also adds a DoT or stacking debuff or something like that).

Edited by DarthDymond

I quit at the beginning of last year and returned around Nov. My sniper was down a few abilities from when I left. (I think one was a debilitate mirror and the other was something called headshot iirc). I miss them tbh. All of my other toons have holes in my quickbars from where abilities used to be. That being said, I want more abilities not less. I'd prefer to be able to do things situationally that don't involve the same singularly boring "rotation".

As it is, I usually have 4-5 sequences of abilties that I use for each toon depending on the situation with the occasional need to resort to an "oh s***" button or two when necessary. I like it, kind of reminds me of EQ1 (there were multiple clickable items as well as abilities gained through alternate advancement that went above and beyond the standard spells/combat abilities).

To each their own I guess. /shrug

BTW, I'm assuming by "ability bloat" you mean that there are too many abilities and that you want to restrict the number of things that each character can do. Like an ability cap that takes precedence over the current cap given by the # of quickbars. So if I've misunderstood, I apologize.

I think it's fine currently. There are a lot of abilities, sure, but only a relative handful that you need within easy reach for instant access. My Vanguard, for example, uses only a few things in regular rotation; Gut, Fire Pulse, Stockstrike, HIB, Ion Pulse, and Pulse Cannon, with a few utilities like Battle Focus and Harpoon, and less frequent abilities like Mortar Volley and Shoulder Cannon. They all fit into a single skill bar

I actually enjoy the amount of abilities each class has to offer. I like the choice of abilities on hand to deal with a multitude of situations. It's part of the reason why I couldn't get into The Secret World. The only thing taking away from that enjoyment is running out of resources or waiting for cooldowns. On the other hand, running hybrid sniper and taking 5s to set up my various dots is tedious.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.