The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Post-Jedi characters replaced.

LadyKulvax

Rumors though till confirmed..but if true, not surprising. Buuut....basic descriptions for these new chars?....Hmmm...alright then.

As long as their aren't exact copies(because then why not just use the actual characters) then I guess it's fine.

But we shall see what the actual comfirmation reports say.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

This sort of "broad strokes" re-imagining was probably the best EU fans were ever going to get. From the moment new movies were announced it was honestly a question between that and just an outright jettison of all things EU.

Still, sad to see that we'll probably never get that Sword of the Jedi series I was looking forward to...

This sort of "broad strokes" re-imagining was probably the best EU fans were ever going to get. From the moment new movies were announced it was honestly a question between that and just an outright jettison of all things EU.

Still, sad to see that we'll probably never get that Sword of the Jedi series I was looking forward to...

While I kind of feel bummed out, you have to look at it form their point of view. The timeline is completely saturated and trying to make stuff around it would be impossible and just end up as a complete mess. There is one huge positive to this however, we might never see the Vong or Abeloth in the new continuity, making for a less ridiculous universe.

I suppose its the best post-ROTJ fans can hope for, if this is the case, at least these characters will live on in their new counterparts. That said the idea of recycling old characters seems a tad cheap.

I also hope that rumor about Ardnt was true, I was never too eager to go along with what the press were saying about Ardnt being chucked out, the script being rewritten etc. etc.

But again, just rumors, though this is the most plausible I've heard yet.

While I kind of feel bummed out, you have to look at it form their point of view. The timeline is completely saturated and trying to make stuff around it would be impossible and just end up as a complete mess. There is one huge positive to this however, we might never see the Vong or Abeloth in the new continuity, making for a less ridiculous universe.
Thank the Maker.

There is absolutely no question that it makes sense from their perspective. Personally I like the Vong, and while I wasn't a "fan" of Abeloth by any stretch I didn't mind the FotJ series as a whole - but I'll be the first to admit that the number of people who'd look at a lore "reset" and say "What? No Vong? Well that's just not Star Wars anymore!" is pretty much zero. As a pure numbers game, they stand to make waaaaaay more money with an accessible reboot than they're going to lose by alienating old fans.

And don't get me wrong, part of me likes the idea of a refreshed take on Star Wars that will let new fans in without being lost by the mountain of continuity, especially since a lot of people are involved who know and love the EU we've had for decades now.

To draw a parallel to Disney's other big acquisition, Marvel, it looks like what they did with their Ultimates line: a streamlined and refined take on the franchise, taking plenty of inspiration from the original timeline (and heck, the end result may even have a fair number of winks and nods to it, too), but much more accessible and less bogged down under its own weight. (And we can at least hope better consistency and overall quality in the end product.)

But if you ask me, one of the nice things about the Ultimates line, is that it didn't replace the original line. You had Ultimate Spiderman for the new fans, and you still had Amazing Spiderman for the people who did enjoy the world that had been built up there over the years and didn't want to see it replaced by a "new take" on the mythos.

Majority of my post copy-pasted from my reply to the parallel thread in General Discussion forum

Edited by DarthDymond

Personally, I'm hoping for a bit more "mature" take on the universe. I don't mean Spartacus or snything, but just... less childish, naive and idealistic. Sometimes I just get that strange feeling of "What? No one could possibly be this naive and just point blank stupid". I also don't mean that they have to start cussing and namecalling, just... more sensible characters and stories.

I mean, the themes in SWTOR are much more "real" and mature than much of the EU.

The thought is making me gidd--*erm*- very enthusiastic.

I loved the Post-ROTJ material for the characters not necessarily the events (the Vong and Abeloth pissed me off as well) so this seems like the absolute best alternative imo. Still a rumor though, gotta wait and see...

Personally, I'm hoping for a bit more "mature" take on the universe. I don't mean Spartacus or snything, but just... less childish, naive and idealistic. Sometimes I just get that strange feeling of "What? No one could possibly be this naive and just point blank stupid". I also don't mean that they have to start cussing and namecalling, just... more sensible characters and stories.

I mean, the themes in SWTOR are much more "real" and mature than much of the EU.

What parts of the EU are you talking about?

What I liked about the EU in general was how much more mature it seemed in dealing with the Star Wars universe than the movies did - from making the Empire more than mustache-twirling !evil! villains as far back as Heir to the Empire, to novels like Traitor that were all about tearing down the notion of black-and-white morality. It's in the EU that you get more nuanced characters like Cade Skywalker, with much more complex and challenging roads to redemption in Legacy, and even outright villains you can still empathize with like Vestara Khai in Fate of the Jedi (and that's not even getting into villain-protagonist stories like the Darth Bane Trilogy or Deceived).

What parts of the EU are you talking about?

What I liked about the EU in general was how much more mature it seemed in dealing with the Star Wars universe than the movies did - from making the Empire more than mustache-twirling !evil! villains as far back as Heir to the Empire, to novels like Traitor that were all about tearing down the notion of black-and-white morality. It's in the EU that you get more nuanced characters like Cade Skywalker, with much more complex and challenging roads to redemption in Legacy, and even outright villains you can still empathize with like Vestara Khai in Fate of the Jedi (and that's not even getting into villain-protagonist stories like the Darth Bane Trilogy or Deceived).

It's not really about anything I can put my finger on, it's just the overall feel and dialogue is, at times, too... cartoonish. It's most glaring when they dance around sex and other topics deemed "mature". Like using the term bedding when referring to sex. It's just makes me, personally, go "ugh" :)

I guess it makes sense from their pov, but there are so many characters in the EU that are fully & perfectly fleshed out that changing anything about them is just dumb imo. Characters like Kyle, Cighal, Kyp, Mara, Corran & Saba. Or ANY of the characters from the "Young Jedi Knights" series (which btw is what I was expecting the story for EP7 to be similar to). I wonder if their "changes" actually have more to do with NOT having to give the various authors any credit for the characters they plan to keep.

Yea......doubt any if this is true. It sounds unlikely and there's this:

these specific rumors are coming out of left field from a website without a reputation for accurate scoops. Given that, please take this report with a grain of salt.

Buuuuuut, people will believe anything people blog on the interwebz.

EU Post ROTJ was a mess , glad Chee agrees , now we pray to old lord Mickey Mouse and Wolverine that the new Mess will not be built into a Wall of Jedi and Darkside Gods (Stus) and have stories that do not seem so extreme to one end of uncreativeness !

Out of the New Movie all I hope for is that Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill try to lose some pounds , get into shape , and try not to allow Harrison Ford to steal the show as he is always able too.

I hope that the new movie moves beyond Luke and team , into new waters with a new cast , and it would not be too much to ask for some epic lightsaber fights , space battles, and death ....................with a hint of happy ending .

Until then Rumors are Rumors and we should pay them no mind , and why has nothing been shown yet ; ;

?!?!?!?

I was hoping this movie would be treated like Tron Legacy with the Teaser Trailer we all got before the movie was even being filmed .................

Edited by mefit

And the missing the point award goes to ^

And the gullible, will believe anything on the internet award goes to ^

Regardless of your point....

You linked an already over-posted blog filled with rumors from an anonymous source, without a history of reliable information, in a post with more substance (lol) in the title than in everything else combined. There has to be a point to miss..... :rolleyes:

Edited by Telaan

And the gullible, will believe anything on the internet award goes to ^

Regardless of your point....

You linked an already over-posted blog filled with rumors from an anonymous source, without a history of reliable information, in a post with more substance (lol) in the title than in everything else combined. There has to be a point to miss..... :rolleyes:

The point is its a rumor, and we are speculating its truth and the repercussions if it were truth and whether we believe this would be a good path to follow or not.

Claiming everything said on the internet is wrong however? Now that is stupid.

Edited by Beniboybling

The point is its a rumor, and we are speculating its truth and the repercussions if it were truth and whether we believe this would be a good path to follow or not.

Claiming everything said on the internet is wrong however? Now that is stupid.

Quote me where I said everything on the internet is wrong....you won't be able to....

Regardless, the op's thread title of "Post-Jedi characters replaced" followed by:

....is both definitive and matter of fact as if it was factual. Hence my comment that people will believe anything on the internet.

Edited by Telaan

Quote me where I said everything on the internet is wrong....you won't be able to....

Regardless, the op's thread title of "Post-Jedi characters replaced" followed by:

....is both definitive and matter of fact as if it was factual. Hence my comment that people will believe anything on the internet.

Well most of us are StarWars Fans and while it might not make sense to get a little jumpy about Rumors , it sometimes better than not looking at them when it comes to things you like .

I mean its been a Rumor GTA 5 might come to PC , while I am not taking it serious , it does keep my hopes up as I have no consoles and care less to get one ....

It was also Rumored at one point Mickey Mouse might make a cameo ............ I hope people just ignored that but............

Well most of us are StarWars Fans and while it might not make sense to get a little jumpy about Rumors , it sometimes better than not looking at them when it comes to things you like .

I mean its been a Rumor GTA 5 might come to PC , while I am not taking it serious , it does keep my hopes up as I have no consoles and care less to get one ....

It was also Rumored at one point Mickey Mouse might make a cameo ............ I hope people just ignored that but............

Oh, as a Star Wars fan I'm certainly intrigued and mildly worried what they'll do to a universe I've come to consider hard canon. There's absolutely nothing wrong with raising an eyebrow at said blog and having a discussion as to its content and the future if the Star Wars universe.

It's an entirely different matter to link it with a statement as if it comes from an official source and has already been done; which is exactly why I quoted the op and made my comment.

Edited by Telaan

There is absolutely no question that it makes sense from their perspective. Personally I like the Vong, and while I wasn't a "fan" of Abeloth by any stretch I didn't mind the FotJ series as a whole - but I'll be the first to admit that the number of people who'd look at a lore "reset" and say "What? No Vong? Well that's just not Star Wars anymore!" is pretty much zero. As a pure numbers game, they stand to make waaaaaay more money with an accessible reboot than they're going to lose by alienating old fans.

And don't get me wrong, part of me likes the idea of a refreshed take on Star Wars that will let new fans in without being lost by the mountain of continuity, especially since a lot of people are involved who know and love the EU we've had for decades now.

To draw a parallel to Disney's other big acquisition, Marvel, it looks like what they did with their Ultimates line: a streamlined and refined take on the franchise, taking plenty of inspiration from the original timeline (and heck, the end result may even have a fair number of winks and nods to it, too), but much more accessible and less bogged down under its own weight. (And we can at least hope better consistency and overall quality in the end product.)

But if you ask me, one of the nice things about the Ultimates line, is that it didn't replace the original line. You had Ultimate Spiderman for the new fans, and you still had Amazing Spiderman for the people who did enjoy the world that had been built up there over the years and didn't want to see it replaced by a "new take" on the mythos.

Majority of my post copy-pasted from my reply to the parallel thread in General Discussion forum

just on the Ultimate universe... it was well established BEFORE Disney purchased Marvel. Ultimate universe launched in 2000, Marvel was bought by Disney in 2009. Sure you're point is still reasonably valid, but its not a direct comparison, since we've yet to see what Disney will do to Star Wars. They are seemingly becoming ever-more interfering with Marvel... last year is was Marvel NOW with a whole bunch of new Issue #1s and this year its All-New Marvel NOW with more new Issue #1's some on titles that were reset to Issue #1 last year... These "not-a-reboots-but-we-hope-they're-more-accessible" are alienating fans, and not contributing to higher sales.