The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Mace Windu and Vaapad - Toeing the line to the Dark Side

Unibek

I just finished reading Shatterpoint and have come to the conclusion that the movies did him absolutely no justice. He created Vaapad which as described ,seemed damn near impenetrable and to master it a Jedi would have to literally balance themselves at the dividing line of the Light Side and Dark Side. With this in mind, how many Jedi would allow themselves so close to that threshold? Who, among the Jedi, would even consider it? This gave Mace, or anyone who had mastered it (Like Depa Billaba), in my mind, a greater ability in defensive and offensive situations over other Jedi. The book mentioned on several occasions how dangerous Vaapad really was and by simply allowing himself to dip into the Force so deeply was eating away at him, his humanity and would, if left unchecked almost certainly drag him to the Dark Side. I feel like Mace could have been such a better character. Trying to visualize Vaapad just doesn't do it justice. I wish I could see it. But that is another problem all together-- It wasn't that easy to see. To even Jedi Vaapad was nothing more than a wall of energy. How overwhelming would that be to see coming your way? Or taunting you to attack? And to think, in the book, Mace would use two lightsabers (his and Depa's) while in Vaapad. That just screams unbeatable to me..

I'm new to the EU. So maybe I haven't done enough research to feel Mace Windu has been given proper recognition. Maybe I still have much more to read to realize that he doesn't deserve such recognition at all? I wonder though, what if Mace Windu did fall to the Dark Side? Would he not be one of the most formidable Dark Jedis to ever live? If not the most? If it wasn't for his entire life being spent as a Jedi, and his strong belief and unwavering loyalty in the Jedi way Mace Windu would of sealed his own fate creating Vaapad and been an absolute force to be reckoned with when he finally did fall.

To those that haven't read Shatterpoint and have even the slightest interest in who Mace Windu is, and why he is who he is, I'd suggest you read the book. It is an incredibly fun read. And to no one in particular and everyone all at once, what do you think of Mace Windu? Where does he rank in your mind as a Jedi? And where would he rank if he had become a Dark Jedi based off the power he would wield?

I just finished reading Shatterpoint and have come to the conclusion that the movies did him absolutely no justice.

Although I haven't read that book, I'll just say you have it backwards. The movies came first, and the novel just branched off from it, so if he seemed different or better or stronger in the novel, it's more the author making him greater then originally intended then the movies not giving him the credit he was due.

Although I haven't read that book, I'll just say you have it backwards. The movies came first, and the novel just branched off from it, so if he seemed different or better or stronger in the novel, it's more the author making him greater then originally intended then the movies not giving him the credit he was due.

Wasn't the book released originally in 2003? This book takes place between Episode 2 which was released in 2002 and Episode 3 which was released in 2005. And was a book George Lucas endorsed (or at least wrote a prologue for).

I forgot to even mention his ability to see shatterpoints (go figure, its even the title); An exploitable weakness in any enemy or any situation. Something that is not always seen instantly and may not always be a single moment or place but almost always leads to destruction to those that oppose him and for which a shatterpoint is found. Beast mode.

Yeh, Windu and Yoda would have been Insane if they went Dark Side, hell, Yoda is stated in Canon, to be potentially the most Powerful Sith Lord the galaxy has ever seen, if dark side

Not doubting you but just curious, where was this stated?

Indeed? That would have been cool, but I'm more than happy with what we got.

Yeh, I'd been looking forward to the Ti book, was fully written and everything, then they canned it because Yoda had more fan appeal...

Why they couldn't just release Dark Rendezvous like 6 months later :confused:

Yeh, I'd been looking forward to the Ti book, was fully written and everything, then they canned it because Yoda had more fan appeal...

Why they couldn't just release Dark Rendezvous like 6 months later :confused:

Interesting.

Edit: I would have liked a Ti book, too.

Edited by Aurbere

Yeh, Windu and Yoda would have been Insane if they went Dark Side, hell, Yoda is stated in Canon, to be potentially the most Powerful Sith Lord the galaxy has ever seen, if dark side

I'll have to add that book to my "Must Read" list. I couldn't imagine Yoda going to the Dark Side. That would be lights out for the Republic. I feel like Mace could do a whole lot of damage in his own right. I just wish he received more attention.

I'll have to add that book to my "Must Read" list. I couldn't imagine Yoda going to the Dark Side. That would be lights out for the Republic. I feel like Mace could do a whole lot of damage in his own right. I just wish he received more attention.

If you want more Windu, check out Schism and Show of Force. Two great comics.

I just finished reading Shatterpoint and have come to the conclusion that the movies did him absolutely no justice. He created Vaapad which as described ,seemed damn near impenetrable and to master it a Jedi would have to literally balance themselves at the dividing line of the Light Side and Dark Side. With this in mind, how many Jedi would allow themselves so close to that threshold? Who, among the Jedi, would even consider it? This gave Mace, or anyone who had mastered it (Like Depa Billaba), in my mind, a greater ability in defensive and offensive situations over other Jedi. The book mentioned on several occasions how dangerous Vaapad really was and by simply allowing himself to dip into the Force so deeply was eating away at him, his humanity and would, if left unchecked almost certainly drag him to the Dark Side. I feel like Mace could have been such a better character. Trying to visualize Vaapad just doesn't do it justice. I wish I could see it. But that is another problem all together-- It wasn't that easy to see. To even Jedi Vaapad was nothing more than a wall of energy. How overwhelming would that be to see coming your way? Or taunting you to attack? And to think, in the book, Mace would use two lightsabers (his and Depa's) while in Vaapad. That just screams unbeatable to me..

I'm new to the EU. So maybe I haven't done enough research to feel Mace Windu has been given proper recognition. Maybe I still have much more to read to realize that he doesn't deserve such recognition at all? I wonder though, what if Mace Windu did fall to the Dark Side? Would he not be one of the most formidable Dark Jedis to ever live? If not the most? If it wasn't for his entire life being spent as a Jedi, and his strong belief and unwavering loyalty in the Jedi way Mace Windu would of sealed his own fate creating Vaapad and been an absolute force to be reckoned with when he finally did fall.

To those that haven't read Shatterpoint and have even the slightest interest in who Mace Windu is, and why he is who he is, I'd suggest you read the book. It is an incredibly fun read. And to no one in particular and everyone all at once, what do you think of Mace Windu? Where does he rank in your mind as a Jedi? And where would he rank if he had become a Dark Jedi based off the power he would wield?

You know what I found was that the original Clone Wars cartoon (not the 5 season animated series) actually did do him justice. Pardon my French but he kicked some serious *** in that show! And it even shows where Grievous got his wheezing cough from... Windu trying to rip his gut-sac out. lol.

Yoda used dark side in Dark Rendezvous to tap into Vjun's power to fight Dooku.

Edited by Sadishist