Adding Dyes to Collections

Matty_X

It would be an even bigger cash cow if they implemented a huge color hue chart into our collections menus representing the colors we could unlock via cartel coins. Not this crappy fixed dye system they use now....releasing a small handful of oddly mixed primary/secondary dye kits with each new cartel pack.

Sticking something like this, this, and this into our collections menus and charge us 10-100 cartel coins to unlock one color. Then allowing us to choose our own primary/secondary combinations. This would be a huge improvement for both the user and EA's bottom line.

i absolutely love this idea. just like the customization for cartels at the cartel bazaar.

I LOVE IT I LOVE IT>... I LOVE It

/signed

This game has the most worthless nickel and dime based dye system ever conceived. The fact that people actually think a single use black/black dye is worth millions of credits just boggles my mind to no end.

One you "learn" a dye you should be able to unlock it, or "learn" it on that toon forever.....you know, like most ALL over MMO's do.

The fact is that there are certain items, including some dyes, that will sell for much more because they ARE highly desired and sought after. If you choose not to pay the going rate for a given item, that is your choice. That does not mean that those prices are not reasonable if others will pay those prices.

That fact that you think what you do and choose to do in YOUR game should be dictated to everyone else just shows the immaturity of your post. I could care less how others got their dyes.

As opposed to your attempts to dictate the prices that players can charge for items you want?

Would be nice to see the CM Dye Modules added into Collections, since there are some of their two-color dye modules that I like. And there are some CM Dye Modules that I don't like the color combos that have came out, so I don't buy them on the GTN - or, if I end up with one that I don't want, I sell them on the GTN, just like any other player I'm sure.

Anyways, I'd like to see the option of pairing a primary and secondary dye module into a color combo of my choice - as some others have suggested on this thread. I think that would be something nice for Artificers to get to learn as they level up in the crafting skill, they'd get to learn the custom dye module frame (much like any other custom item, just limited to a pair of dye colors to put into it).

Just as another note, did anyone else think that making dye modules should have been given to Synthweaving, as they're making outfit pieces that can use dye modules? I mean, since it's not like we get a slot in a weapon to place a dye module to change the color of the weapon - we put them into outfit pieces to change the color of the outfit.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the value of black/black and white/white cannot be replaced by craftable dyes, so, yes, I'm very much in favor of adding Cartel Marked dyes to our collections. (Too bad Bioware hasn't introduced red/red yet - or I haven't seen it).

I don't think it changes the dye situation drastically. I mean, may have bought cartel market /black dye, but I also keep buying black/blue for my Thana Vesh, or black/red for my Relaxed Uniform. Same as suits: I may be wearing Clandestine Officer Set, but when I hit level 27, I still change into non-cartel Hooligan's uniform.

I think the value of black/black and white/white cannot be replaced by craftable dyes, so, yes, I'm very much in favor of adding Cartel Marked dyes to our collections. (Too bad Bioware hasn't introduced red/red yet - or I haven't seen it).

I don't think it changes the dye situation drastically. I mean, may have bought cartel market /black dye, but I also keep buying black/blue for my Thana Vesh, or black/red for my Relaxed Uniform. Same as suits: I may be wearing Clandestine Officer Set, but when I hit level 27, I still change into non-cartel Hooligan's uniform.

Would you still by those black/blue dyes, or black red/dyes if you could create an infinite number of black/black dyes for free once you purchase only one and unlock it? Would you buy the white/orange, white/red or white/blue dye if you could create an infinite number of white/white dyes for free once you purchase only one and unlock it?

Most players would not.

That is the point that some are making.

That's the silliest part though. As it is now. I'll never buy the super expensive dyes. Not worth it for various reasons already stated in this thread. However, if unlocking dyes (only CM dyes, crafted ones are fine as is) were an option....

Do you know how many dyes I would buy and unlock just on the off chance I -might- use them on something down the road? Lots... more then I probably should but I like having options. Its why if I see a belt I like in a set, I will get the rest of the set just to unlock it so I can use it elsewhere if I want to later on.

YOU may not buy the super expensive dyes, but people ARE buying them.

• 1 month later...
It would completely remove the value of dyes if they did that.

And by value, I don't necessarily mean monetary value. I also mean rarity as well. If you can unlock them in collections, all dyes would drastically lose their value.

And what about people who craft dyes? They sell one and that person is set forever. Or, even worse, the buyer of a crafted dye spends cartel coins to unlock that dye that another player crafted. That would piss me off if I was the crafter. Pay me a small amount of credits for the thing I craft, then give BW real money to unlock it forever...

I would still bye the dyes made by players as they are a totally different set of dyes, some of which are nicer then the rare dyes you get with packs. Such as the primary and secondary colors that only Artifice can make.

Isn't their point of view pretty clear? The current system is the one they believe is the most effective way to monetize the dye feature. As long as the current system keeps generating purchases then I don't expect them to have a reason to change it. Business is business.

If they really wanted to make money from dyes, it would be better to sell individual dyes on the markets but price each one at 500-700 cartel coins. By not adding dyes to collections, and keeping them as a one time use, for each character you would be paying 500-700 cartel coins or more if they decided to do this. Not to mention the countless people who would bye different dyes for their each of their companions. Most players in game have at least 7 characters. That amounts to 3,500-4,900 CC spent from each individual player. More from those who have characters on every server. The revenue would likely to remain more consistent than surges of random money being spent on a gamble. This system would also give players a more gratifying and enjoyable experience while still keeping the revenue from dyes high.

My suggestion, remove cartel market dyes entirely. Change the current dye system to 2 separate slots, one for primary color and the other for secondary color. Even a tetiary color would be nice but that's just icing on the cake.

Turn the color dyes into recipes for Synthweaving and Armormech, for example, primary color recipes for SW and secondary color recipes for AM. I have all crafting skills at 450 and these two are essentially augment mules with nothing else worthwhile to make, not even for component reverse engineering as Cybertech is cheaper. As for how to obtain those dye recipes, well, it could vary in difficulty whether it is sold by NPCs, reputation vendors or even as drops from operation bosses. Heck, they could even be directly purchasable from the CM if BW so chooses.

The current dye system is just obtuse and an unnecessary QoL annoyance to boot.

Edited by Oneirophrenia