I keep dying against easy computer enemies

KangalAnatolia

don't get into despair. it happened to me at the beginning as well. it takes some time to get used to the interface and pressing buttons. take your time, do not press all of them at the same time. press one button at a time . don't go into big groups, especially if they are at higher level. try with single enemies at first, see how it works.

Welcome. :)

Tips:

Check the area before you attack. Sometimes you may get so focused on attacking one group of NPCs, you may not notice that you've entered into the area of another group of NPCs, triggering them into attacking you, too.

Experiment with the best rotation for your attack abilities. When deciding on the rotation of your attack abilities, look at the time it takes the ability to activate. Look at how much damage an ability dishes out. Look at how long it takes for the ability to cool down, meaning become available for use again. Learn which abilities are instant (no cool down).

Keep an eye on you resource usage, your energy bar. Quick bar number one is preset with button number one being a way to deal damage, while getting your energy bar up (or down in the case of Bounty Hunter's heat). That attack ability is a way to regain your resource while still dishing out some damage.

Visit a medical droid, or a vendor, often to repair your equipment. After you've played for a while, you will get a feel for when you really need to have repairs. Until then, get repairs every chance you get.

After defeating, and looting, an NPC, quickly check your Inventory when you are in a safe spot. Often (especially at low levels) the loot you get from NPCs will be a piece of equipment, or a weapon, with better stats.

Don't despair. When I began playing SWTOR, it took me two to three days to complete a starter planet (Ord Mantell or Korriban), and I was defeated so often I spent almost as much time at medical droid stations as I did playing. :D

Now, I can clear a starter planet in less than two hours.

Have fun.

Edited by Nmyownworld

Hi and welcome to the game!

The Jedi Knight has a unique resource management that may be confusing.

First of all, visit your trainer (right at the start zone, when you arrive from the first taxi) and make sure you buy all the skills he has to teach.

Now. The resource for Knights is called Focus. You can see how much you have on the yellow bar below your health (red bar) right beside your portrait. Some of your skills generate focus ; other ones consume focus. You have to learn to combine them, generating focus first, then consuming it. With the skills you have at level 4, a typical fight should be:

- Start the fight with Force Leap. This will get you quickly near the enemies, stun one for a few seconds, and generate 3 Focus. Plus, it looks awesome. :)

- Right after, use Force Sweep, so you put a bit of hurt in all enemies around you and stun them for a bit. This will consume all 3 of your focus.

- Now you have no focus, so you can only use Strike. Every time you use it you deal a bit of damage, and also build 2 focus.

- With 2 Strikes you now have 4 focus, so you can use Slash which is a more powerful attack and consumes 2 focus.

See how it works? You build some focus, then spend it, then build some more.

Also, you have some out of combat skills that may not be obvious:

- Shii-Cho Form: a style of lightsaber fighting that makes you a little more powerful. As you level you will learn more forms and have to choose the best one for each situation; as long as you only have one, make sure it's always on.

- Force Might: makes your attacks a little stronger. It costs no Focus and lasts for 30 minutes or until dead; make sure you always have it on.

- Introspection: heals you rapidly but you can use it out of combat. Make sure to use it between fights so that you start the next one with full health.

Hope this helps!

Also, how do I repair my equipment? I know to go to a medical droid but I couldn't find a way to repair, only to buy supplies.

At the bottom of the droid "window" there is a button named Repair. If it is greyed out, your equipment is at full repair; if it is red, you do not have enough credits.

Any vendor you go to, there's a button on the bottom left of the menu that says "repair" (on the right is the "sell junk" button) also...at lvl 4, be sure you've gone to see a trainer & upgraded your abilities. There's one on the platform near where you start your first fight. When attacking enemies, take out the weakest ones first, then focus on the tougher ones. And make sure you're not trying to do any missions more than about 2 levels above your level. And don't try anything "heroic" without a group.

I am a level 4 Jedi Knight. I tried getting around large groups of enemy and getting to my main mission objective but it was usually very hard or impossible to get around enemy flesh raiders.

I recommend going through such groups -- meaning, engage and fight them. There are two advantages to doing this:

1. You'll gain XP (experience points)***

2. You'll gain items and credits from looting the defeated NPCs.

*** NPCs (and the text of missions on your Log) are color coded:

Gray text -- Far, far below your character's current level. Very little to no XP.

Green text -- Below your character's current level.

Yellow text -- At your character's current level.

Orange text -- Above your character's current level.

Red text -- Far, far above your character's current level.

Check the level of the NPCs by targeting them. That shows a portrait of the NPC, and their level number.

If the NPCs level number color is yellow, green, or gray, any difficulty in defeating them is just a matter of practice. You'll be able to take them down as you gain in skill from playing.

If the NPC's level number is orange, it will be harder for you to take them down because they have higher health, and dish out more damage. Orange is possible, but more difficult.

If the NPC's level number is red, avoid them until you gain levels. You will not do much (if any) damage to the NPC, and the NPC can defeat you quickly.

Edited by Nmyownworld

Fights at very low level are pretty much do or die, because you don't have any abilities that can help you deal with additional enemies. You just have to be careful about not attacking a group that's too big, and also keep track of roaming NPCs and don't attack a stationary group that has several patrols coming into the area, as they will all gang up on you.

At higher levels you'll be expected to do the following:

- buy and use appropriate level green (or better) gear - this gives you health and the force points needed to execute your abilities

- use your abilities in the correct sequence (we call it a "rotation") - use your area abilities on groups of enemies, use your single target abilities on the most threatening enemy, don't run out of force, etc.

- use your crowd control abilities (stuns, sleeps, etc) to take enemies out of commission while you kill the rest of the minions first.

- buy and use medpacks to heal yourself if you get in trouble

- buy and use fortitude stims to give yourself more health for combat

As a sidenote, there is no real "autoattack" in this game, either. I know a great many games have this feature, but SWTOR does not. You attack by using your class abilities. Also make sure you are facing them, I know this sounds pretty "duh" worthy but I have a friend that I dragged into the game (first MMO) and he was constantly getting hit from behind and complained because he couldn't hit them. So I thought I'd mention it anyway. :cool:

If nothing else, you may want to consider a more ranged class to start out with. Maybe Trooper? Unless you want to be a jedi then it would be Consular. That way you can attack from a distance and it takes the mobs some time to get to you. Enough time to hopefully kill them or at least severely cripple them before you even start to take damage (unless they are also using guns, anyway).

Edited by blindxsecrets

As a sidenote, there is no real "autoattack" in this game, either. I know a great many games have this feature, but SWTOR does not. You attack by using your class abilities. Also make sure you are facing them, I know this sounds pretty "duh" worthy but I have a friend that I dragged into the game (first MMO) and he was constantly getting hit from behind and complained because he couldn't hit them. So I thought I'd mention it anyway. :cool:

If nothing else, you may want to consider a more ranged class to start out with. Maybe Trooper? Unless you want to be a jedi then it would be Consular. That way you can attack from a distance and it takes the mobs some time to get to you. Enough time to hopefully kill them or at least severely cripple them before you even start to take damage (unless they are also using guns, anyway).

AFAIK, you only have to face your enemy if you're in PvP. In PvE combat, you can be facing any which way and, so long as you're in range, your attacks will fire off.

You do get used to how the game plays after a while, I had problems when I first started playing the game and I found I was not aware of the following: -

1) I found never skip bonus quests as it helps keep you slightly ahead of the curve.

2) Check your gear is using the correct stats i.e. strength and endurance only at this point, willpower does not do anything for you and is consular classes.

3) speaking of gear make sure it is regularly repaired using the med-droids.

4) keep your skills up to date using trainers.

5) if you have xp boosts use them as this will keep your level slightly ahead of the quest levels.

6) dont forget to buy some stims from the vendors for strength and use them (I think they either last for 30 mins or 60 mins but would have to use another if you die)

7) dont for get your class buff which boosts certain stats for 60 mins

I found I had all of these issues when I first started playing the game but now I can run around and do the starting planets with cartel market amour which have no stats on until I reach level 9, so essentially I do most of the starting planet 'naked'

Edited by Jedi_riches

AFAIK, you only have to face your enemy if you're in PvP. In PvE combat, you can be facing any which way and, so long as you're in range, your attacks will fire off.

Some abilities do not "auto-turn" you and you do have to face the target even in PvE. Not many but enough to b annoying at times.

I'm about to give it a try right now. gaming life is hard when married.... :/ lol Thanks guys. I'll let you all know how I do.

No matter what happens, don't get discouraged. There is a learning curve and you just need to get used to the interface, controls and your abilities. Once you do that, everything will become second nature faster than you might think.

Edited by blindxsecrets

Not True, you must be facing your target when the attack activates, but you can go Out of Range OR not face the target as soon as you activate the attack, a great example is a Sniper using Snipe, he activates Snipe but the target moves out of range, the attack will still continue to cast and will hit, there are plenty of other examples too, i just cant bother to name any.

I'm doing much better. All I was doing before was just clicking strike and not using any of my special moves. Also, I had equiped some armor that was not useable (that I got using cartel credits).

Thanks everyone. It's much more enjoyable that I'm not getting killed so bad.