The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWG might be getting revived. ..... OFFICIALLY.

renegadeimp

I am just curious why the trademark for Star Wars Galaxies was renewed and registered by The Walt Disney Co. last month.

http://www.trademarkia.com/star-wars-galaxies-76329360.html

See this, and this. I really don't know why people don't read threads they post on in their entirety.

EDIT: On top of that, I expect the reason they do this is so some random company can't come along and make SWG under there own flag, completely unaffiliated with Disney/EA. Trademarks can be registered if you want to make a product, but also if you don't want that product to be made. So it makes sense to keep renewing.

Edited by Beniboybling

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: On top of that, I expect the reason they do this is so some random company can't come along and make SWG under there own flag, completely unaffiliated with Disney/EA. Trade marks can be registered if you want to make a product, but also if you don't want that product to be made. So it makes sense to keep renewing. [/color]

Exactly. Especially since you're dealing with something with such huge name recognition within the MMO community. It's called keeping your options open.

Yet it had a small population...if it was as great as you put it, don't you think it would still be around and have a high population?...

Don't get me wrong I liked SWG, but apparently so called "fans" just up and left at the 1st sign when everything changed.

There was a reason why SWG was canned and it was not licensing. The game had been going downhill for some time. The launch of SWTOR was just the final "nail" in SWG's coffin.

I quit SWG a few years before starting to play SWTOR. Sure, I still have some fond memories, but I also remember why I left. If they relaunched the game as it was when it shut down; I would not even bother going back.

Sweet Jesus! I can think of only a few reasons as to why they would renew that,

A) They intend to develop their own SWG type MMO.

B) They intend to shut down SWGEMU etc and would like a legal means to do so.

C) They are renewing SWG to hand it BACK to SOE? I would sure as hell would hope they don't let EAware touch it with a ten-foot pole at this point.

The above options are merely speculation, nothing more. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

Either that or they're just safeguarding the license so a license troll doesn't take it.

personally i got into mmos 10years ago in a couple of weeks with swg and it was only starwars that made me try it as was hammering the hell out of kotor then, swg blew me away and for all its faults yeah i loved it, tkm master fencer oh so sweet!

i dont honestly see a revival of swg as a starwars game im afraid, while with a new engine and built from scratch again with old systems and depth yes it would be awesome especially moving timeline forward for new movies coming out i cant see it while tor around.

personally i do think they will make a new 'swg' but it will be a new ip for the game, ill admit i despised the nge and always will but precu with the gameplay and actually working as it should of been with a modern engine would be one heck of a temptation even not being starwars.

i love kotor and tor tbh but id have to play both if swg did come back started properly from scratch it was best game i ever played, the only game id go to work and think about where to go and find a new knuckler or bio enchancd clothing while at work when could get home and online lol.

for now rip a unique effort in mmos for something visionary and guess see where this goes in future

If they relaunched the game as it was when it shut down; I would not even bother going back.

LOL that's so absurd. What we had at the end of SWG was 1000X better than when it started. There's something wrong with you pre-cu people. I hated it. The game was freaking boring, and there was nothing to do except run mission terminal garbage, and grind skills. They lost more subs BEFORE the NGE made it to test server than they lost after the NGE. Much like what happened to swtor who lost 1.3 million subs after the first 3 months of release. Most people didn't want to play the trash that was the pre-cu, and i was one of them who left out of sheer boredom after the first couple months. I guarantee you there's more people out there who claim to have played pre-cu, and loved it, than the total number who ever played it at all. Better yet, there are more people out there who claim to have been Teras Kasi masters than played the game.

If someone hadn't talked me into trying SWG again 4 years later, I never would have known how much it improved. Skill systems, and the reduction of classes aside, there was a lot more to do. There were a couple of things I wished they'd kept, but it wasn't game breaking for me.

All I know is that when I went back there were several servers still showing full at times, and the population didn't drop off all that badly until the announcement that is was shutting down. After that is when it went downhill fast. Who could blame people for leaving after that? What's the point of investing more time in characters that were going to be taken away in a few months?

LOL that's so absurd. What we had at the end of SWG was 1000X better than when it started. There's something wrong with you pre-cu people. I hated it. The game was freaking boring, and there was nothing to do except run mission terminal garbage, and grind skills. They lost more subs BEFORE the NGE made it to test server than they lost after the NGE. Much like what happened to swtor who lost 1.3 million subs after the first 3 months of release. Most people didn't want to play the trash that was the pre-cu, and i was one of them who left out of sheer boredom after the first couple months. I guarantee you there's more people out there who claim to have played pre-cu, and loved it, than the total number who ever played it at all. Better yet, there are more people out there who claim to have been Teras Kasi masters than played the game.

If someone hadn't talked me into trying SWG again 4 years later, I never would have known how much it improved. Skill systems, and the reduction of classes aside, there was a lot more to do. There were a couple of things I wished they'd kept, but it wasn't game breaking for me.

All I know is that when I went back there were several servers still showing full at times, and the population didn't drop off all that badly until the announcement that is was shutting down. After that is when it went downhill fast. Who could blame people for leaving after that? What's the point of investing more time in characters that were going to be taken away in a few months?

So... we liked something unique that you didn't like and therefore there must be something wrong with us?

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying SWG was perfect. It had a hell of a lot of flaws, many of which were incredibly irritating (master dancer as a requirement of the hologrind and the worst nerf bat in history both come to mind), but it was also unique. The crafting system, the skill customization, the vistas were all a delight, and while it wasn't the most popular, it was one of a kind until the CU hit. And almost everyone who saw the CU coming on the test server knew it was bad news, but SoE ignored us. You want to talk about how SoE lost more subs before the NGE and I'd venture to say that you are right. I still remember how Coronet Spaceport was wall to wall on a Friday night before the Combat Upgrade and how, a week afterward, it was a ghost town. The NGE was just the final nail in the coffin.

SWG before the CU definitely catered to a niche market, but we were the players that didn't want World of Star Wars craft. We didn't want traditional classes and levels. We didn't want Jedi to be immediately playable from the first day; we wanted it to be an accomplishment.

So if you want to say that there was something wrong with us for something unique, then I think that's one of the dumbest statements I've seen on the forum. There was nothing wrong with liking something unique and different, no matter how flawed it was.

I am not taking sides but there was a reason some of those servers were full. They closed several servers and had those people make a choice into which server they could go to. A lot of people choose Starsider as it was the busiest server in SWG/

So yes the servers were showing full but that is because they closed 12 servers. The ones they closed were: Corbantis, Europe-Infinity, Intrepid, Kauri, Kettemoor, Lowca, Naritus, Scylla, Tarquinas, Tempest, Valcyn

and Wanderhome. These were closed around January 2009.

I can understand why the people pre-cu enjoyed how it was. Unfortunely for me I started a month after all this but the ones I knew told me about it and how being a jedi actually meant something to them and all the professions that they did away with that they had to actually unlock.

So maybe you didn't like it but there were quite a few that did and the servers were never the same after they left.

I enjoyed the game for the most part when I played but I can also understand the ones that were there before me and left.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

SWG died for a reason. In the years since that game went away people have only remembered the good things, the fun stuff. No one remembers that in the beginning you couldn't be a Jedi, it just wasn't in the game. A Star Wars game and no Jedi??? then they put them in and it was SOOOOO hard to become one so people complained and then you could really just choose to become a Jedi.

Snipers could kill you from across the map and you would never know where they were, then people complained and snipers became useless.

Professions... Bahh!

The only really cool part of SWG was the JtLS expansion. that was great. The game had it's high points, Like the raid on the base where we held the Imp base for hours ad they couldn't take it away from us! Then a few months later the game just started to fade away slowly... I guess we showed them flaws they couldn't figure out how to fix...

SWG was great for it's time, but let it stay gone.

Smed confirmed yesterday, it's not a return of SWG.

The majority assumed as much I would imagine, no idea why he thinks he can appeal to the old SWG fan base with anything that is not starwars. That guy never really understood the SWG people anyway

I know that I prefer SWG in overall feeling to SWTOR but ultimately I am here for the starwars.

All the player housing in the world won't get me to play some elf or goblin in a game.

See this, and this. I really don't know why people don't read threads they post on in their entirety.

EDIT: On top of that, I expect the reason they do this is so some random company can't come along and make SWG under there own flag, completely unaffiliated with Disney/EA. Trademarks can be registered if you want to make a product, but also if you don't want that product to be made. So it makes sense to keep renewing.

Both of the links did not answer my question or provide any type of facts for my aroused curiosity. I don't understand why people would provide links that give no relevant factual information to the question at hand.

Edited by Renata_Roselli

Both of the links did not answer my question or provide any type of facts for my aroused curiosity. I don't understand why people would provide links that give no relevant factual information to the question at hand.

Since you're only going to be satisfied with a direct answer from Disney, posting it here is futile. Send them an E-mail and ask them, it's the only way you're ever going to get the confirmation you desire. If you won't accept an answer based on logical reasoning, which is the only kind you will ever get here, why ask here in the first place? If you were hoping someone had a link to an answer from Disney, then googling it yourself would have been more productive.

SWG had a lot of good points that I'd love to see brought to another MMO at some point, but I've personally only really enjoyed two different IPs: Star Wars and Conan. On the face of it, just looking at what they're advertising, The Repopulation looks like it's bringing some of the stuff back that made SWG so much fun (and hopefully leaving out all the crap), but it's neither Star Wars nor Conan, so I'm not so sure I'll like it at all.

Maybe some of the other SWG vets might like it, though.

Heck, I think they ought to put Brian Fargo in charge of creating an MMO. Okay, okay... yes, that's three different IPs I really like, for anyone counting.

Edited by georgemattson

The majority assumed as much I would imagine, no idea why he thinks he can appeal to the old SWG fan base with anything that is not starwars. That guy never really understood the SWG people anyway

I know that I prefer SWG in overall feeling to SWTOR but ultimately I am here for the starwars.

All the player housing in the world won't get me to play some elf or goblin in a game.

Fair points. I am sure some will give it a try, if it IS an exciting new IP but I think for it to draw huge numbers, it would have to be Star Wars Galaxies 2

I am fairly sure they are explicitly relevant, perhaps you'd care to elaborate? Or rephrase the question?

Ya know, it wasn't even SW that made the game great, I mean, a game without Jedi and Sith! It was a bold move.

The game had the Skin of SW, the planets and characters the ships so that it would go mainstream if you replaced all those SW references with a good Sci-Fi enviroment then it will be just as good.

Graphically SWG is old now of course, the ideas, the crafting, the professions would still be fresh, just a good coat of paint!

As much as I hate the SWG Fan Spam , I have to give it too you guys , as little of a group you were when the game was live , those of you who stuck it out remain Loyal to beating a Dead Horse as it gets .

I am willing to bet it will be 10 years before the poor horse is finally allowed to rest .:D

Edited by mefit

As much as I hate the SWG Fan Spam , I have to give it too you guys , as little of a group you were when the game was live , those of you who stuck it out remain Loyal to beating a Dead Horse as it gets .

I am willing to bet it will be 10 years before the poor horse is finally allowed to rest .:D

Fans will be fans.

It's just a shame with MMOs that they don't last forever

If I was KISS fan; 60 years from now you can still pop in an old CD or some new format and listen.

Same thing for movies or console games, heck I am sure I could find a Nintendo somewhere to play Zelda (the gold case one)

Unfortunately MMOs are different, when they go offline they are gone forever, you can't go back and enjoy the nostalgia from time to time, Plus you did everything with just one toon there and your toons usually just backed up your main, so a lot f people had a decade of investment into a character that was deleted.

MMOs are definitely a crazy medium

Well, if this article is right and these are the first Screenshots of the "SWG come-on home!" MMO... well, then, sorry sci-fi fans:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/02...y-sandbox-mmo/

(I am making no claims that the final product won't still be an excellent sandbox game, it's way too early to tell, but the widespread hope that it will be a sci-fi sandbox game seems... unlikely now.)

EDIT: fixed the link

Edited by DarthDymond

Well, if this article is right and these are the first Screenshots of the "SWG come-on home!" MMO... well, then, sorry sci-fi fans:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/02...y-sandbox-mmo/

(I am making no claims that the final product won't still be an excellent sandbox game, it's way too early to tell, but the widespread hope that it will be a sci-fi sandbox game seems... unlikely now.)

That's nice looking, SOE games have nice lookin skies

Fans will be fans.

It's just a shame with MMOs that they don't last forever

If I was KISS fan; 60 years from now you can still pop in an old CD or some new format and listen.

Same thing for movies or console games, heck I am sure I could find a Nintendo somewhere to play Zelda (the gold case one)

Unfortunately MMOs are different, when they go offline they are gone forever, you can't go back and enjoy the nostalgia from time to time, Plus you did everything with just one toon there and your toons usually just backed up your main, so a lot f people had a decade of investment into a character that was deleted.

MMOs are definitely a crazy medium

I totally Agree and I for one wish SWG was still around , not because I liked it , not because I want to play it ............................................but because I believe in Good Competition .

I played SWG , I did not like it :(

Instead I put my time into games like FF11 , Lineage II , Aion , STO , FF14 ,and this game .

No matter how many times I go on my breaks from this game , it remains the best Stories in a MMO ever . While the Voice Acting makes me lazy , I enjoy it beyond words .

The game play is not the greatest to me ..............I am a Controller man myself , but I still enjoy it .

I love the Companions but hate the Pets as I feel they are lifeless and worthless .

The Ships (Player Housing) I think needs work and more personalization , but with that said it did not stop me from getting all the legacy unlocks for it .

The SWTOR forums while poisonous are still inviting for Debates and often provide interesting opinions and outlooks into lore .

I often love to come in and see what those whom I might not agree with have to say and miss them while I am playing something else .

(Best Conversations are those with people who do not agree with you often if ever)

I love most of Bioware's games and grew up on Star Wars and Star Trek .........................heck when I was a kid , Star Trek was the last thing on before the Channels cut off for the night .

Lastly , Yes MMOs come and go , often some get closed early and sadly the Majority always have the say in a Profit Market and the Minority lose out on what they loved and cared for . I myself have yet to not lose a MMO I played that I cared to mention but who knows .

SWTOR is where I come back , because Star Wars is what I love and my two sons are now growing up on like me before them .

Yesterday I could hear my 7 year old watching The Empire Strikes Back before he was going to bed , and it reminded me that while I am not a Star Wars dweller , it is in the Blood and minds of my family who have watched it , read it, and now played it for 3 Generations .

I love SWTOR as you love SWG and maybe if I gave it a better chance , maybe I would have liked it too but it had its moment in time and chance .